Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Bear in mind the ISO 3200 is pushed.

What I have noticed in coming from a d5000 Nikon is that the Canon is a lot worse for boosting exposure in post, even at very low ISOs. Nikon's inherent noise pattern is a lot less harsh than Canon's cross-hatching.

Now, I've not lost any would-be keepers for this as generally I don't try to shoot in those sorts of conditions, but it's something to bear in mind.

*** UPDATED LIST FOR THE DVD ***

DAVE WALTON
AKR
TAZ

if anyone wants adding to the list or if you're wondering what the DVD is all about... then i wrote this when this thread started....

what a great idea for a thread! (but then i would say that wouldn't I)

it's great timing actually because i was toying with the idea just last week of offering something for 5D users, but thought it might be difficult to 'control'.

basically, i bought a DVD when i got my 5D about 2 years ago, it's kind of a home-made / open university style geeky production... but it is worth having a look at. it's called 'Canon EOS 5D Made Easy' and it's a double DVD pack which takes you through everything the 5D can do. what i am offering is to send the DVD to whoever wants it.. no fee... but when you're done with it, pass it on to someone else who wants to have a gander. i know most of you will have looked at just about every option there is on the 5D... after all... it's not swamped with unecessary gadgets... just a hard working, damn good camera.

anyone interested?

so, let me know if you want adding to the list and i'll sort it (y)

Hi leftcurl, I wouldn't mind going on that list for the DVD.

I've been directed to this thread after purchase of my eagerly awaited first 5D from eBay. I'm very excited and also a little apprehensive, I guess people on eBay sometimes get raw deals (pun intended!). Because I have lenses already I just got a body only, for what I consider a steal at £520. My beloved (despite it's AF woes) Sigma 10-20 is for sale, but I have a buyer already, now I just need to photograph and prepare other bits of kit for sale to claw back the money and hopefully get a grip to go with it.

What is the fastest rated CF card you would recommend for the 5D, as obviously I'd imagine it can't keep up with the very latest tech available.

Thanks

Hi leftcurl, I wouldn't mind going on that list for the DVD.

Thanks

no probs matt, i'll add you on the list.

DAVE WALTON
AKR
TAZ
MUMRAR

Just got myself a Canon 5D and love it so far! First photo I took with the camera, out of camera with a crop and some sharpening/contrast boosts. Opinions?

yep.. works for me.

5D and nifty fifty.... great combination.

i spent a full day taking out the same combination a while back taking a real mixture of stuff as i walked around town. Get's you thinking about composition more but brings some great results. Welcome to the club (y)

I just got my 5D off ebay and I'm afraid to say it looks like I have a problem, I'm posting in here to clarify the fault is what I suspect, and if so how I should go about raising this with the seller.

In the bottom right hand corner, starting about 5% up on the side until it disappears below the centre, I get a patch of the image that is a lot brighter and also appears heavily blurred below the diagonal line. I've tested this with two different lenses, and also with mirror lock up enabled to eliminate it from enquiries. The problem is magnified at higher shutter speeds, so I think it is a problem with the shutter itself. I'm currently at work (on a moving train) so I don't think I can get any examples in here just yet. Nothing other than cosmetic wear listed in the auction as an issue.

I guess I'm after some constructive advice to see through my slightly red mist, please.

Oh, when I got the camera when pressing the 'info' button it said file no 4792 and folder number 111, so assuming that it's 9999 shots per folder, this has done quite a few shots then!

yep.. works for me.

5D and nifty fifty.... great combination.

i spent a full day taking out the same combination a while back taking a real mixture of stuff as i walked around town. Get's you thinking about composition more but brings some great results. Welcome to the club (y)

I do love my nifty! Just saving for a 17-40L and then a 70-200L and I'll be a happy chappy! Thanks for the comment on the photo, appreciated! :D

Hi Josh glad you like it mate, enjoy! this is a great thread to get involved in. nice shot as well (y)

Thank you, good sir, for such an amazing camera. I'm in love with it! It was looking through this thread that convinved me to get one! (y)

Here's a couple of my very first shots with the 5D classic
6086639431_b9a3643695_o.jpg

ISO 3200 1/50s f/1.8
6087184586_c3dfeaef5f_o.jpg

ISO 160 1/640s f/3.5
6082925903_0301eec2e5_o.jpg

ISO 320 1/1250s f/5.6

Immensly pleased with how well it handles ISO 3200, just hoping to get the shutter problem sorted out soon.

DAVE WALTON
AKR
TAZ
MUMRAR
MACVISUAL

Really bored at work at the moment (projectionist at local cinema), but have my 5D to hand and am having fun with coffee cups! I'll post some up when I get home.

Last edited:
I was wondering about options for stepping into FF goodness. Presently I have a 40d with a 50mm 1.8 and a Tamron 17-50.

I was thinking about a Mk1 5d together with the 50mm and adding a 70-200 or even maybe an 85mm 1.8 as a starting point.

Budget is always a consideration so comments would be welcome. I'm not much of an outdoors shooting kind of guy although I'd like to think I am, but I'm not! Consideration would be interesting to a wider prime than 50mm at the right price also.

Thanks

I was wondering about options for stepping into FF goodness. Presently I have a 40d with a 50mm 1.8 and a Tamron 17-50.

I was thinking about a Mk1 5d together with the 50mm and adding a 70-200 or even maybe an 85mm 1.8 as a starting point.

Budget is always a consideration so comments would be welcome. I'm not much of an outdoors shooting kind of guy although I'd like to think I am, but I'm not! Consideration would be interesting to a wider prime than 50mm at the right price also.

Thanks
Feels a little strange posting in this thread now I no longer own a classic but its still close to my heart.
I dont know anyone who has regretted getting a 5D for indoor and maybe outdoor use :LOL: the lenses you have mentioned are a solid start and alot of people wouldnt need more than than.
For wider fast apature, you might consider a Canon 28mm F1.8 as a resonable cost option. I dont own one but have read its ok for the money, similar standard to the 50mm and 85mm you mentioned. I love my 70-200 F4 non IS and im not likely to ever sell it, for me its fast enough and produces some really good images, for the money i rate it very highly.

Last edited:
Thanks Al for your comments, a 28mm, 50mm and 85mm together with maybe a 70-200mm later sounds like a good start to get into FF!

Right, what can I sell to fund it :LOL:

you might consider a Canon 28mm F1.8...

I've been thinking about this lens as a FF replacement for the Siggy 20mm f1.8 I've been using with my 20D but the reviews I've read seem... less than glowing to say the least... and for £400 I think I need a little more... praise. I've thought about going for the Siggy 28mm f1.8 as the very similar 20mm is a cracking lens but I want USM and full time manual focus and the Siggy doesn't offer that.

I did Dave...sorry. For some reason I dont get notifications of a new PM :shrug:
I'll have it in the post Monday.

Just PM'd DaveRed to see if he has sent it on yet. Wanted to make sure it was not lost in the post anywhere.

Thanks Al for your comments, a 28mm, 50mm and 85mm together with maybe a 70-200mm later sounds like a good start to get into FF!

Right, what can I sell to fund it :LOL:

the 50 and 85 were "made" for the 5d, I also like my 70/200 f4 IS even though it gets little use, having said that I'm also loving my 24/70 f2.8 a lot too. I use the 24/70 more than the longer zoom and its a very good all rounder/walkabout (despite its size etc) at 2.8 you arent losing much in terms of speed to the primes, but the two primes combined cost less than the short zoom.
For indoor use and a "tight" budget I think I'd double up on the short zoom (for ease of use and the WA capability) and two primes for their speed, the 70/200 might just be a tad too long and too slow at F4 and at least 1/125 second unless you have a steady hand even with IS (and if you're shooting kids/animals etc IS wont be worth having anyway).

As for what you can sell? your soul or a kidney might do the trick. :)
It's worth it.

Matt

Last edited:
wahay! This is much better now the thread is a sticky!

Thanks for your comments Matt, I am starting to think 50 & 85mm are almost de rigeur. It's been a long long time since I had anything longer than a 70mm lens so in fairness 85m would feel telescopic even on FF to me :D

Reading woof woof's post a couple of posts or so up, it seems the 28mm Canon is less than ideal, maybe a Sigma 28mm maybe a better option to look at.

I also read somewhere a 28-135mm Canon was a reasonable budget lens to consider for the 5D, anyone any consideration to this?

The Wife is rolling her eyes, and I'm getting twitchy fingers, never a good sign here with me and camera equipment :LOL:

28-135 is a great lens for the money. that was the first lens i bought over the £150 mark after the 50mm and and 70-300 ef-s (i think?!?!) on my old 350D.

still got the 28-135 but i dropped it on its face and smashed the filter and it bent the thread so i can't get it off :bonk: Replaced it a few months back with the 24-105 which TBH is better but not a massive difference.

I've owned my mint 5D MkI for around six months now, bought these lenses over the past few months; Canon 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200mm L f/2.8 and a basic 28-105 ultrasonic f/3.5/4.5

But I feel I'm not getting the best results with my 5D (I'm quite new to digital photography) and always think about changing to a 5D MkII regards more pixels, maybe I'm not using my kit enough, it's annoying.

Photo taken today;

IMG_3657.jpg

Last edited:
i was hoping to be posting in this thread today as a 5d owner but didn't get to the post office in time and alas my 5d is stuck there untill tomorrow when i can pick it up. i have the canon 100mm f2 usm is in the same package and i'm itching to get my paws on it after work tomorrow afternoon.

I've owned my mint 5D MkI for around six months now, bought these lenses over the past few months; Canon 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200mm L f/2.8 and a basic 28-105 ultrasonic f/3.5/4.5

But I feel I'm not getting the best results with my 5D (I'm quite new to digital photography) and always think about changing to a 5D MkII regards more pixels, maybe I'm not using my kit enough, it's annoying.

Photo taken today;

IMG_3657.jpg

hi peter, all that's happened here is that your shutter speed is way too slow. You've got 1/10th sec with a focal length of 38mm. So this is going to be very hard to avoid camera shake hand held.

Try taking the same shot again... keep the camera in AV, f/5, but change the ISO to 400, and see what shutter speed you get then. Then try it again and up the ISO to 800 and see the shutter speed. The speed will be much faster and the image will be sharper. (y)

Reading woof woof's post a couple of posts or so up, it seems the 28mm Canon is less than ideal, maybe a Sigma 28mm maybe a better option to look at.

TBH I'm undecided. I really like USM/HSM lenses and having full time manual focus and there's a part of me that says that a slight drop in IQ, even if it can be seen in real world shots and I'm pretty convinced that in reality it probably wont be, might be a price worth paying so I might go for the aging and not exactly state of the art IQ Canon 28mm f1.8 after all :bang: :D

Last edited:
My next step is a tripod.

Surely a lower iso setting will result in a much sharper/better photo, right..???

yes, you're right Peter. BUT... only in well lit conditions. You need to choose settings on the camera to give the best exposure for the image depending on the light conditions. So, you need to select the best combination of ISO, aperture (f), and shutter speed.

Also... these settings will change depending on the focal length you are using. The ideal or benchmark if you like to try and get to is to have a shutter speed of at least the same as the focal length. So, for your shot at 38mm.. you would need a minimum of 1/38th (which you can't have, so you'd choose 1/40th) to avoid camera shake.

This is easy to see in practice... try it yourself by going outside and putting the camera in Av. Now you will tell the camera the Aperture that you want to use. So choose f/8 (as an example), now change the ISO to 100. Without looking thru the viewfinder just half click the shutter so it locks onto something and have a look at the display on top of the camera. You will see the camera has chosen a shutter speed to give your image the best exposure. if this speed isn't high enough (ie higher than your focal length) you can do 1 of 2 things:

1. raise the ISO
2. lower the f number (widen the aperture)

either of these options will give you a faster shutter speed. try it indoors and outdoors and you'll see the difference. (y)

I also read somewhere a 28-135mm Canon was a reasonable budget lens to consider for the 5D, anyone any consideration to this?

I have this on the 50D, its like a lot of older Canon lenses, a bit slow to focus, a bit noisy and showing its age. But, its a pretty good performer and certainly worth the money they go for secondhand these days. IS works (I think) but doesnt seem to hold the image still in the viewfinder quite like the 70/200 does. Not sure what its edge of field would be like on FF though, should be OK if stopped down a little.
Matt

Back