Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

I've had my 5D about a month, primarily to take family photos especially my 4 month old little boy.

I'd heard a bit about FF being heavy etc, but I have to say the 5D looks virtually identical to my 40d size wise, and does not feel overly heavy either. I've also read a lot about the viewfinder, but I have to say I've not immediately noticed much difference to the 40D, maybe I don't pay enough attention :thinking:

I've had the 5D mainly paired up with the 85 f1.8. Now I don't know if it's the placebo affect and if the images really are that different to my 40D and 50mm f1.8, but I'm loving the combination. I don't know if it's a slightly different bokeh, DOF or what, but I'm really loving what is being produced. My little one is keeping me pretty busy at present, but I still have my 40D so will try and do some loose, completely unscientific shots for people to view in a couple of weeks.

The AF seems reasonable, it does struggle a little in low light, but then so did my 40D sometimes. In good light it's good, though I've not yet had a chance to try focusing on anything moving quickly.

In terms of the layout and functions coming from a 40D it's pretty seamless, initial it looks like to just does not have the 'landscape\portrait etc auto settings on the dial'. I'll admit that I don't tend to alter the camera settings too much, I pretty much set it to raw, stick it in AV, TV or manual and off we go.

I am going to try it with my 100-400 and see what I get, again when time allows and I'll report back. In the meantime here's a Robin taken at 400mm f5.6, slightly cropped and not too much else done to it.

Al

hi Al, i had a 350D (first DSLR ever) before my 5D, which i thought was the dogs danglers when i got it - but tbh i pretty much just messed about with it. I can honestly say since getting the 5D combined with joining the forum, i have learnt a lot. It was like getting a proper camera after the 350D (even though i know now i never really tested the capabilities of it) :bonk:

I think the 5D, when you get the settings right for your shot - just rewards you with fantastic output. I wouldn't ever get rid of mine (famous last words) even though i will more than likely get another body in the next year or so.

Anbody know the best way to clean the sensor as imho the only thing that lets this camera is sensor dirt.

I'm sure I read something about Canon doing the various sensor cleans etc. for free, even out of warranty somewhere?

Anbody know the best way to clean the sensor as imho the only thing that lets this camera is sensor dirt.

i just take mine to calumet a couple of times a year.. think it's about £25. But here's the trick...

a. take to calumet and get it cleaned
b. wait 6 months (approx.) then calumet send you a nice letter saying they'd like to see you come into their shop as you've not been in for a while and they also enclose a £10 voucher as an incentive.
c. take to calument and get it cleaned for £10 less than last time.

ok, so i've bought a few bits from them over the years (umbrella, light stands etc..) but i've had 2 £10 vouchers in the last 18 months. I just prefer them to clean it without any hassle and it comes back spanking (y)

I'm sure I read something about Canon doing the various sensor cleans etc. for free, even out of warranty somewhere?

This was for the issues with some early 5Ds, where the Mirror could potentially fall off. You can send your 5D in free, they would refit the mirror securely and do a sensor clean at the same time.

hi Al, i had a 350D (first DSLR ever) before my 5D, which i thought was the dogs danglers when i got it - but tbh i pretty much just messed about with it. I can honestly say since getting the 5D combined with joining the forum, i have learnt a lot. It was like getting a proper camera after the 350D (even though i know now i never really tested the capabilities of it) :bonk:

I think the 5D, when you get the settings right for your shot - just rewards you with fantastic output. I wouldn't ever get rid of mine (famous last words) even though i will more than likely get another body in the next year or so.

Thanks, I just need to try and get out shooting on weekends, especially with all this fine weather we have been having!

rather than trawling through this thread, can you guys with this camera post examples of ISO 1600 & ISO 3200 shots please, preferrably real life photos not jsut test shots?
I am looking at maybe replacing my 50D with this so all my cameras are FF.

Hi all just back from NYC with my trusty 5d... I think it's the perfect travelling photographers camera... rather than post loads of images on here have a look at my flickr... My recent trip to NYC has me hooked on my 5d... when it dies got knows how i'll replace it... but think I have many happy years with it left!

I just give the sensor a rocket blow every so often and i've never had dust issues!

Recently bought a 5D Mk1, here's a photo using attached 28-105mm ultrasonic;

IMG_1570_2.jpg

So I was playing around with one of these a couple of weeks back, and i was asking the guy in Aperture UK about the ISO performance... and he says that whilst the ISO performance is better than my current 60D up to a certain point (I think he said around 1600), above that my 60D performs better.

Can someone with a 7D, 550D or 60D post some comparison pictures?

I've been tempted to buy a 5Dc for such a long time now and this thread is doing nothing for my temptation!!!

Couple of people have asked for ISO3200 stuff? I use it regularly.

Tamron 28-75 @ f2.8. ISO 3200

_MG_6831.jpg

50mm f1.8, ISO 3200.

_MG_6114.jpg

Last edited:
it seems trying to get someone to trade theirs in for my 50D is not gonig to be easy, not that i didnt expect that!

my just start saving foranother mark II

it seems trying to get someone to trade theirs in for my 50D is not gonig to be easy, not that i didnt expect that!

my just start saving foranother mark II

Have you tried MPB Photographic? I have had some great deals/px with them in the past.

Ihave just changed my 40D to a 5D and considering a 17-40mm L, mainly for landscape and portrait, although I know a little onthe short side for the later. I have a 50mm F1.4 though.

Any recommendations other than the 17-40?

Thanks.

I wouldn't say the 17-40 is a good portrait lens, it's too wide on full frame and you can get distortion at the edge of the frame, which would be particularly unflattering for portraits. However it is a cracking lens for landscapes etc.

To be honest, 50mm would be the widest I'd go for portraits. The 85mm f1.8 is a great portrait lens on the 5D.

I wouldn't say the 17-40 is a good portrait lens, it's too wide on full frame and you can get distortion at the edge of the frame, which would be particularly unflattering for portraits. However it is a cracking lens for landscapes etc.

To be honest, 50mm would be the widest I'd go for portraits. The 85mm f1.8 is a great portrait lens on the 5D.

Thanks. I am looking at it for landscapes, it will replace my Tokina 12-24mm F4 on my 7D. My plan would be that it would be used for landscapes and group type pics really.

*** UPDATED LIST FOR THE DVD ***

MADMATT
DAVERED
DAVE WALTON
AKR
TAZ

if anyone wants adding to the list let me know and i'll update (y)

Did you get the DVD ok Madmatt?

Last edited:
Madmatt has the DVD now... can DAVERED contact him to pass on address details please (y)

DAVERED
DAVE WALTON
AKR
TAZ
BREN-ESCAPE

done Bren (y)

nice shot Grum, how did you get him to balance at that angle while you waited for the autofocus to lock? :LOL:

bump for the 5D... keep the faith (y)

Mines still away getting a new shutter. :(

I am looking forward to seeing whats on the DVD, I seem to be really struggling to take pics that I am happy with compared to my 7D at the moment:(

Here's a recent photo taken at Knockhill race circuit, shot on my 5D Mk1, a basic 28-105mm f/3.5 ultrasonic, my first time panning sports photography;

IMG_1971_crop.jpg

Only last night I bougt a mint/boxed/used Canon 70-200 f/2.8 'L' USM, looking foreward to using it soon.

Last edited:

DAVERED
DAVE WALTON
AKR
TAZ
BREN-ESCAPE

done Bren (y)

I wouldn't mind, I think I know everything there is to know but I also bet i'm wrong :D

Mines still away getting a new shutter. :(

How much is a new shutter? I've got the 5D as a backup to the mkii and have become seriously attached to it and would look at getting the shutter replaced when it eventually dies.

Apparently it wasn't the shutter that needed replaced, just some contamination on the electro magnets (that caused the shutter to be across the frame), the work was done FOC under warranty.

I got it back yesterday, so I'll be off to test it now.

What is the warranty situation with the 5D are they still covered? Mines a 2007 model.

Mine was bought second hand from a dealer 3 months ago, so was covered for 6 months.

Back