Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Different stokes, I guess. I have a pop up flash on my Panny G2, I think, but I've never used it.

Don't miss it at all on the 5D. If I really need flash then a 580EX does the job properly.

Last edited:
I thought i'd miss the flash, but to be honest if i need a flash I'll use my 580ex too. the quality of photo from a pop flash isn't great, and if i needed to be discrete i'd use my gf3 and its flash (which some degree of bounce control) :)

I've gotten some pretty great results using pop up flash and bouncing it. I do very, very rarely use it though so having nothing with the 5D shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I use the pop up flash on my 40d that I don't even miss it.

If I ever manage to get to grips with the Nissin flash gun I have that'll do me just fine! :D

Well yes, as I said, a speedlight is ultimately better but for me a speedlight is just too big and flash... :D and not everyone takes one simply everywhere with them and if you haven't got it with you you can't use it or the pop up because there isn't one... plus there are times when just a pop up will do very nicely.

I am surprised that only one (or is it two...) Nikon FF's come with a pop up and no Canon's. All of my 35mm SLR's had one.

Last edited:
woof woof said:
All of my 35mm SLR's had one.

I'd barely thought about it until just now, but none of mine do, and I have more than a few of them from a variety of manufacturers. Not through any particular antipathy, it just works out that way.

I think the closest thing to a built in flash on any of my film bodies is the clip-on one on my Olympus XA, which remains unclipped most of the time.

Interesting.

So, you guys take your speedlight everywhere? and use it anywhere?

I mostly use primes and mostly I use available light and that's where the f1.4-1.8 prime lenses come in handy. I simply hate using a flash in low light as it attracts too much attention for me. I like to be invisible. I will use a pop up sometimes in low light, not often but sometimes, and I will use one for fill flash in good light.

I keep remembering two situations... once I was out with my 20D+ a f1.4 prime with someone with a 5DII and f4 zoom and no speedlight. They didn't get one useable shot, the 20D wiped the floor with them. Another time I was in a lovely little church and a guy came in with a FF Canon + f4 L lens and a speedlight and he just killed it dead. I'd rather not shoot than kill the whole venue for everyone in it.

I'd barely thought about it until just now, but none of mine do,

Are they older SLR's? All of mine were 80's cameras and all had flashes but certainly the older manual ones didn't.

One thing which could tempt me to buy a new FF DSLR would be a genuine replacement for the SLR's I had years ago... in features, bulk and weight.

Last edited:
woof woof said:
Are they older SLR's? All of mine had flashes but certainly the older manual ones didn't.

Mostly manual focus.

Representatives of most of the Canon FD A and T series, an Oly OM 2 and some other assorted MF bodies from the 60s to the late 80s.

The two AF film bodies I have (an EOS 3 and 650) are equipped with a hot shoe only, though.

woof woof said:
Interesting.

So, you guys take your speedlight everywhere? and use it anywhere?

I mostly use primes and mostly I use available light and that's where the f1.4-1.8 prime lenses come in handy.

With you on the last point.

For the most part I just don't use any flash. Pretty pointless trying to illuminate a 300m building with anything that wouldn't require a fleet of generator trucks. :)

For my photography a pocketable micro tripod is far more effective most of the time if I'm on the hoof. I can usually plan for when I will actually *need* flash and pack accordingly.

Was meant to say dec but spell checker got the better of me, as that was fleabay price is put it in at 400 with room to drop

John

What is the going price for a second hand 5D Mk 1 body these days? I've listed mine at £450 but now I'm wondering if that's a bit high. Any thoughts?

I paid £400 for mine about 6 weeks ago or so, but I think prices have dropped slightly. I think around the £400 mark is still a good competitive price dependent on quality.

Exactly the point I made to them...If they say no...I want it in email...as Ill tell them that Im 'mitigating the risk' and taking the best course of action to reduce the risk of it happening to be As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP)...

STEVIER

Any further progress on your mirror fix ? or are you :bang:

Mirror drop off

Does anyone know if canon are still honouring the free fix?

Are there any catches at their end I should be aware of?

Any other issues, all I was doing was switching lenses and the things hanging there, is this. Normal that it drops so easily?

All help appreciated

John

Yes mirror fix is still a free repair, just cost of postage to a canon authorised repair center

Hi, just thought I'd say hello as I've joined the 5D club :0). Just bought one to replace my 40D and loving it so far. First impressions are that the 40D is definitely a more modern body and feels 'sharper' physically but the images delivered by the 5D are on another level so I can live with that!

I repaired a nifty fifty a while back that had been dropped but was never happy with the quality at F1.8-2.8 but using it on the 5D feels like a different lens altogether. I'm not sure if it's better matched or just new toy imagination but either way I'm happy with it :0).

I took this today at F2.8 after picking my son up for an early dart from school;

Jake in the Snow by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

I'm sure I'll be posting in here more often once I get out over the weekend and I've got a night adventure race up Moel Famau to shoot in a few weeks so it will be interesting to see how it performs compared to the 40D.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Hey Steve, I bought a 5D having used a 40d for a couple of years and agree with all you say.

I can't quite come to sell my 40d yet, I still love the fee land handling of it, but I so like everything about the 5D.

Great photo by the way (y)

Thanks Wibbly. I'm half tempted to keep the 40D as a backup body but seeing as I've just sold my Tamron 17-50 it seems like a bit of a waste. I'm getting to grips with the handling of the 5D but my lazy side is missing auto-ISO!

Cheers
Steve

I'm half tempted to keep the 40D as a backup body but seeing as I've just sold my Tamron 17-50 it seems like a bit of a waste. I'm getting to grips with the handling of the 5D but my lazy side is missing auto-ISO!

Yep, exactly my thinking. I had a 17-50mm Tamron too! :wave:

I currently have 28mm, 50mm and 100m primes, but think I may want to go wide with a 19-35 cheap Cosina for those limited times I fancy it and possibly a 28-75 Tamron for more flexibility.

ISO wise, I just have to remember to change it. I tend to shoot on the low side anyway.

0037_original_1_zpse9d1596d.jpg

5D Mk1 - Samyang 35mm f/1.4 - hand held - j-peg

Thanks Wibbly. I'm half tempted to keep the 40D as a backup body but seeing as I've just sold my Tamron 17-50 it seems like a bit of a waste. I'm getting to grips with the handling of the 5D but my lazy side is missing auto-ISO!

Cheers
Steve

Keep the 40D as well!
I bought a 5D MKI but am keeping my 50D. The 1.6 crop gives another range to your lenses.

When I got my 5D I did think about keeping my 20D too for the x1.6 and also for the built in flash but I've ended up with a 5D and a Panasonic G1.

The Panasonic probably doesn't give the IQ of the 20D if you pixel peep but for the images I take, view and print at all but the highest ISO's it keeps up with the 5D :D and the G1 + lens has the advantage of being quite a bit more compact and lighter than a 20D + lens.

It's me that's presently got the Canon 5D Mk1 DVD from this site, so who's next in line to borrow it please??

PM me with your name/address/post-code details.

Thanks.

KeithH said:
Keep the 40D as well!
I bought a 5D MKI but am keeping my 50D. The 1.6 crop gives another range to your lenses.

Hmmm, having just sold my last EF-S lens and planning on paying for the 5D with the sale of the 40D I think I'm committed! I use a Sony NEX-5 as a second body, primarily with manual OM Zuiko lenses for video and that holds its own against the 40D at higher ISO so should still be ok. I also use the NEX as my macro rig due it's size advantage and flip screen.

Cheers
Steve

Well come back to this thread again and have the itch... just after getting a 17-50 2.8 Tamron and Sig 30 1.4 for my 500d. Still itching!

What's a 5D like at 1600iso? How would it come pair to my 500D at the same iso? Again if I took the plunge I would keep my setup as a 24-105 and throw in a 50 1.8.

I use my 5D at all ISO's up to and including 3200.

I posted some ISO 3200 shots here...

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=281735&page=23

Hmm you have not helped that itch one bitt! :LOL: You were meant to point me in the direction of a stupidly grainy shot with no goodness at all! Those shots beat my 500D hands down at 1600! Were they edted if you don't mind me asking? I.E any noise reduction?

Also if I did have say £500 for lens/s what would yous buy to pair with? As mentioned I do like the look of the 24-105 but what could I get in it's place?

Last edited:
They were shot as RAW's and were processed in CS5 but there was no heroic processing as I'm rather rubbish at it. If it'll help at all I'll send you a couple of RAW's so you can see what they look like and process them yourself. If you want a couple just let me know an email address you'd like them sending to.

Lenses, personally I'd start with a 50mm f1.4 but if going for zooms I'd try and stick with f2.8's.

They were shot as RAW's and were processed in CS5 but there was no heroic processing as I'm rather rubbish at it. If it'll help at all I'll send you a couple of RAW's so you can see what they look like and process them yourself. If you want a couple just let me know an email address you'd like them sending to.

Lenses, personally I'd start with a 50mm f1.4 but if going for zooms I'd try and stick with f2.8's.

that would be great thanks, I have a sneaking suspicion that I am going to be very impressed :) will private mail you.

What's the AF like on the old 5Dc? How would it compare to something like a 450d for speed and accuracy?

I had a 450D then bought a 5d Classic with Canon grip and 24-105 F4L. Ironically I used it for the first time at Goodwood f.o.s. in 2011 and advertised the 450d the next day! Never regreted it, did a swap/cash deal with the 450D to buy a Fuji X100 and haven't looked back.

awesome, that's pretty much what I'm looking at getting except I'm on a 500d the now.

thanks woof for the files had a quick play, immense! slight noise vanished perfectly, much better at 3200 compared to my 1600 by the looks of things.

Will give it a bit of thought this week before jumping in. lens wise what 2.8 lens should I be looking at given no more than £500 budget? if none will be a toss between 17-40 or 24-105. if it's the 17-40 could maybe get a 50 1.4 as well, if the 24-105 will be the 1.8 I think.

Back