Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

to obtain the 6D for my travels
Oh travel, that's the keyword. ;)
I've been on travel for almost 4 weeks until a week ago. I've been for walking in the Himalayas. I had two 5Ds with me, one just for spare. Didn't really need it, but used it on a helicopter flight. With the 40mm STM f/2.8 and without the battery grip, it was ideal for the limited space inside that machine. Otherwise I used a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8, a Tamron 70-300 VC USD and a Canon EF 16-35 f/4. Sometimes I missed my Sigma 105mm Macro, but I've been already on limit regarding weight and space in my Backpack.
I did let my 5D Mark III at home and would do it again like this. Only one battery type and if it would have got damaged, and there were several opportunities, especially at river crossings, it would have been a much less financial loss, compared to the Mark III.

Currently I have to work on about 2700 CR2-Files, which may last still a while. ;)

I'm happy

Last edited:
Oh travel, that's the keyword. ;)
I've been on travel for almost 4 weeks until a week ago. I've been for walking in the Himalayas. I had two 5Ds with me, one just for spare. Didn't really need it, but used it on a helicopter flight. With the 40mm STM f/2.8 and without the battery grip, it was ideal for the limited space inside that machine. Otherwise I used a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8, a Tamron 70-300 VC USD and a Canon EF 16-35 f/4. Sometimes I missed my Sigma 105mm Macro, but I've been already on limit regarding weight and space in my Backpack.
I did let my 5D Mark III at home and would do it again like this. Only one battery type and if it would have got damaged, and there were several opportunities, especially at river crossings, it would have been a much less financial loss, compared to the Mark III.

Currently I have to work on about 2700 CR2-Files, which may last still a while. ;)

I'm happy

It's a superb camera for sure. We are a bit restricted on weight at a few places so the one 6D will be better for me.. plus a few other perks :)

One in, one out! Had mine for a few days but my 50mm 1.8 STM and 135mm f2 arrived today.

The 135 is spot on but the 50 seems way off, I'm guessing there is not much I can aside from send it back for another?

One in, one out! Had mine for a few days but my 50mm 1.8 STM and 135mm f2 arrived today.

The 135 is spot on but the 50 seems way off, I'm guessing there is not much I can aside from send it back for another?

Nice one :) You still using Sony mirrorless too or are you back with Fuji?

Bit of a pain about the 50mm :( Hopefully you just got a dud and the next one will be fine

You can send both camera and lens to Canon, to get them calibrated.
If the lens is under warranty, they do it for free. ;)

Moved over to Canon fully, 6D on the way and just trying to figure out which wideish prime to get.

Struggling to justify the costs with the mirrorless kit (i.e. Sony 70-200 f4 = £800 vs £400 for the Canon) now my gear is pretty much just for the wedding photography business. The Canon used market is vast so I can gradually expand without spending silly money.

Moving over managed to free up a load of cash, as well, which was handy.

Last edited:
It's a great camera and yet ive had to resort to blinking ebay to get a bite on mine, not a single nibble in the classified!

There has been several of them for sale on here just recently. Im surprised they haven't been snapped up. Very often someone is looking for one. Good luck with the sale.

I keep thinking of putting it up for sale. Recently got the 85mm for it and it's a lovely lens but after going out with the X system a few times, the 5D doesn't half feel heavy compared!
It just delivers such good images however and I have sold one in the past and regretted it so it does make me reluctant.

Moved over to Canon fully, 6D on the way and just trying to figure out which wideish prime to get.

Struggling to justify the costs with the mirrorless kit (i.e. Sony 70-200 f4 = £800 vs £400 for the Canon) now my gear is pretty much just for the wedding photography business. The Canon used market is vast so I can gradually expand without spending silly money.

Moving over managed to free up a load of cash, as well, which was handy.

Nice one! Makes sense moving over for what you want. The 6D seems a great option in terms of features and value for money in terms of FF. Enjoy it :)

Yep. Probably the best bang for buck full frame around.

My favourite thing...you may as well be shooting film for all the good the LCD is. Opening LR when I get home is such a nice feeling as the images come to life before your eyes. I used to shoot with my Sony a77/a99 with the LCD closed, this is the next best thing :)

My favourite thing...you may as well be shooting film for all the good the LCD is. Opening LR when I get home is such a nice feeling as the images come to life before your eyes. I used to shoot with my Sony a77/a99 with the LCD closed, this is the next best thing :)

It's true, you learn to have faith and wait and see. Don't judge the shot by the image on the LCD.

Chris Chris Chris... You seem determined to work your way through ALL the owner threads!!

If i ever moved to Canon then the 135mm f2 would have to be in my bag. It looks to be a beautiful portrait lens!

cant lie I sort of miss my 5d classic :-( might have to look on ebay .........

Last Saturday, I made a walk and tried to shoot everything with the 5D and just the 50mm f/1.8 STM attached, worked pretty well. Here's one of these:

Full Moon

Last edited:
Love this camera. Left the 6D at home today heading off to Dismaland as I wanted to make sure I was completely confident without Auto ISO and the controls/menus incase I ever need to use it as a back-up when working. The colours are just exceptional, my editing time has been decimated!

Dismaland by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Album here if anyone is interested.

I've just picked one of these up from MPB (arrived this afternoon) as a bit of an experiment after many years of crop sensors and I must say that I quite like the images it produces. I've only had a chance to nip down to the local lake around sunset and it was a bit dark for any decent shots, but it does give a nice depth to the photos that seems to be lacking in my 7dii.

Love this camera. Left the 6D at home today heading off to Dismaland as I wanted to make sure I was completely confident without Auto ISO and the controls/menus incase I ever need to use it as a back-up when working. The colours are just exceptional, my editing time has been decimated!

Dismaland by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Album here if anyone is interested.

These are great Chris. Really wanna give Dismaland a look!

anyone want a spare battery, found it in my bag and the cameras sold, no cost just cover the postage?

Hey guys, I got my 5D a few weeks ago and getting to grips with it since I sod my last a year and a half ago. Why I sold it I have no idea, now have a mint copy with a mint Canon grip and couldn't be happier!

2 Shot Pano from a local Forrest on the Isle of Lewis, reason for only a 2 shot... 3rd shot had added boardwalks that I didn't pick up on and screwed the image...
Aline Forest by Matthew Morrison, on Flickr

Aline Forest Foliage by Matthew Morrison, on Flickr

This little dragon fly just landed in front on me, managed to get a quick shot with my 24-70 and cropped in HUGE! The details is still awesome, shot with natural light too so was quite happy with it, my 1 year old came plodding along and fell on it about 2 seconds after this haha
Dragon Fly by Matthew Morrison, on Flickr

I'm really tempted to pick one of these up as a cheap intro to full frame. Rather get a cheaper body and decent glass than blow £2K on a 5D3 and then have to save up for 6 months to get some decent lenses!

Some of the images on this thread are fantastic, really inspirational stuff.

If you want start cheap at all, buy a 5D and look for an EF 24-85mm USM

Some time ago, I made some pictures with either the 5D + 24-85 or 5D3 with Tamron 24-70 and put the pictures in an album at flickr, will you recognize what is what, without having a look at the exifs? https://www.flickr.com/photos/lenzmoser/albums/72157651097966867

An EF 50mm f/1.8 would be an excellent start too.

Ghanks for the comments guys, glad to be back!

Go for a 5D1 and a 24-105, that's what I started off with on my ff venture and was awesome till I moved to a Sigma 24-70 2.8. This time round I went for the canon 24-70, for my setup I got for £800 all in. 5D, 5 genuine batteries, 2 chargers, genuine grip, 24-70 2.8L all in mint condition, won't be swapping anything out again!

[QUOTE="lemo, post: 7047529, member: 66655"

Some time ago, I made some pictures with either the 5D + 24-85 or 5D3 with Tamron 24-70 and put the pictures in an album at flickr, will you recognize what is what, without having a look at the exifs? https://www.flickr.com/photos/lenzmoser/albums/72157651097966867

.[/QUOTE]

I had a look, managed to get a couple right but I think that was more luck than anything else.

I did borrow one from a friend a few years back just for a play around, he put it up for sale and I should have snapped it up but like a fool I didn't.

pi by Ali Grant, on Flickr

Nowhere near the standard of what some have done here but this was probably the best I managed with it at the time (not a fan of borrowing equipment as I always worry about breaking it)

Back