Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Hi guys, I'm new here and I recently acquired a 5D classic, which I am loving! I've been using a T3i (600D) for almost a year now and it's served me great but I feel that the 5D is another beast!

I only had EF-S lenses so I couldn't use anything for the 5D but I've gotten a 50mm Canon FD f/1.8 with an adapter, Practicar 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 which were cheap on eBay but I just got a Samyang 14mm f/2.8.

I'll post some photos soon!

Does the FD go to infinity or does the adapter resolve that issue? TBH I was under the impression that FD's weren't suitable for eos cameras. I briefly used old Olympus Zuiko lenses on my 5D but I found manual focus a pain on DSLR's for anything other than close up shots.

If the adapter contains an optical element, it will go to infinity. How much such an adapter has influence on the image quality, I don't know, but for sure it doesn't increase. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Alan. I had to take the picture today, as the garden had 'a trim' and all of that is now gone! It's not a bad picture for an 'obsolete' camera though!

I've had my 5D for 4 years now. Since then I bought a 5D3 and then a 1D-X. I will always keep the 5D, there is something about it I like.

Hi guys, I'm new here and I recently acquired a 5D classic, which I am loving! I've been using a T3i (600D) for almost a year now and it's served me great but I feel that the 5D is another beast!

I only had EF-S lenses so I couldn't use anything for the 5D but I've gotten a 50mm Canon FD f/1.8 with an adapter, Practicar 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 which were cheap on eBay but I just got a Samyang 14mm f/2.8.

I'll post some photos soon!

To be honest the Canon FD and Prakticar lenses are bad choices on Canon full frame as you won't get infinity focus, and some Prakticars will hit the mirror as well :(

Keep an eye out for M42 screw mount lenses, Olympus OM mount lenses, Nikon mount lenses (older non-ai lenses go cheaper as they won't work on most modern Nikon full frame cameras). Also keep an eye out for Contax/Yashica mount lenses (Yashica ML lenses are great), T mount lenses and Tamron SP and Adaptall-2 models which are cheap and easy to adapt.

My Yashica/Contax Lenses do collide with the mirror on the 5D. On APS-C they work.

That's interesting. I remember owning two copies of the 28/2.8 ML, and one of which had a post on the mount which hit the mirror, but I thought that was a third party mod by someone as the other 28/2.8, 35/2.8 and 50/1.4 were OK.

There are a few Zeiss lenses which can be troublesome e.g. 45/2.8 and 28/2, but others have worked fine for me with a decent quality adapter.

I've been quite surprised with my Nikon Ai lenses when used with the 5D. You really have to pixel peep to see differences, when compared with my EF lens equivalents.

The only problem is focusing. Manual lenses are great for zone and hyperfocal use and for subjects which are big in the frame but there are no focus aids and getting anything like focus that'll stand up to pixel peeping will be difficult. I gave up on using manual lenses on my 5D, for manual lens use when wanting accurate focus mirrorless cameras or the old SLR's the lenses were intended to be used with are so much better it's not worth making the comparison. Unless of course you use live view on the back screen but that limits useability for me and the 5D doesn't have it anyway.

IMVHO DSLR's are fine for occasional manual lens use when appropriate but AF lenses are much more suited to DSLR's, IMO.

The only problem is focusing. Manual lenses are great for zone and hyperfocal use and for subjects which are big in the frame but there are no focus aids and getting anything like focus that'll stand up to pixel peeping will be difficult. I gave up on using manual lenses on my 5D, for manual lens use when wanting accurate focus mirrorless cameras or the old SLR's the lenses were intended to be used with are so much better it's not worth making the comparison. Unless of course you use live view on the back screen but that limits useability for me and the 5D doesn't have it anyway.

IMVHO DSLR's are fine for occasional manual lens use when appropriate but AF lenses are much more suited to DSLR's, IMO.

I agree.
In good light and with a big subject to manual focus, it can be quite good. I even have an EF-S screen, which really helps.
But when pixel peeping, 9/10 auto focus is better for me if I want is clinical focus.

It's very nice to use some very old and inexpensive lenses, though.
I myself bought several, but I ended up selling most of them, because I don't feel them better optically than my Canon EF lenses and, many times, nor cheaper. ;)

Last edited:
I know we've done this many times and it'd be nice to settle it with a shoot out in person one day with 100% crops on screen but I just can't see how manual focus with a modern DSLR can ever be as accurate as with a modern CSC.

With a DSLR you have no focus aids so you have to focus by eye through a relatively poor and built for AF optical system but with a CSC you have peaking, which is quite accurate by the way, or you can use the magnified view which allows you to see whatever you may be able to see through an OVF but greatly magnified allowing much greater accuracy. As I've said many times, at the extreme a CSC and a highly magnified image will allow you to pick your point of focus along the length of an eyelash that you can't even see through an OVF. Even AF will not give you that level of accuracy.

As it happens I'm tied to the house today but I have been playing with a CSC and an old film era 50mm f1.2, peaking only. This lens isn't as good as a modern lens, it has fringing and optical nasties and it's soft at f1.2 but these shots stand up to 100% viewing (allowing for the softness and CA etc.) and I simply don't believe that they could be on the same planet accuracy wise if taken with the same lens on a modern DSLR...

I know I'll never convert you... :D and I/we've stated the case either way and the views are there for those interested to decide on :D

LOL we'll never settle this one :D I've been shooting my toddler with the 6D and X-T1 (which has an incredible EVF) with manual portrait lenses like the Pentacon 135/2.8 and Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 and I got more keepers with the 6D. For static scenes it's about the same. There is something about the way objects transition from out of focus to in focus with an OVF that makes it easier for me, but not others, obvs!

You can always try a 1D with a 'split screen' focus screen. I bought one for my 1V and this provides AF and old style MF. You just lose the spot meter.

You can always try a 1D with a 'split screen' focus screen. I bought one for my 1V and this provides AF and old style MF. You just lose the spot meter.

That's the way forward... DSLR's are usually made and shipped for AF and are (arguably) not ideal for MF unless you do something like that to them.

I do like playing with MF lenses and I did love my 5D :D my most used lens was a Sigma 50mm f1.4. I loved that combo and took some of my favourite shots with it.

I agree.
In good light and with a big subject to manual focus, it can be quite good. I even have an EF-S screen, which really helps.
But when pixel peeping, 9/10 auto focus is better for me if I want is clinical focus.

It's very nice to use some very old and inexpensive lenses, though.
I myself bought several, but I ended up selling most of them, because I don't feel them better optically than my Canon EF lenses and, many times, nor cheaper. ;)

Yup. Old lenses are often less good than new ones and that's putting it mildly but maybe instead of seeing them as less good we should see them as displaying character :D Prices seem to be rising and I expect that's a result of the rise of CSC's and more people looking to use old characterful lenses? That old 50mm f1.2 is simply awful :D But I think it gives a look that none of my other lenses give :D

Well I have been reading through this 5D with much interest as I was offered one with a couple of cheap lenses back in late 2007.
I was so tempted but after going to a local dealer for a New D300 and a 10.5 mm fisheye I ended up leaving with a D3 and a 14-24 f2.8 and a BIG HOLE in the Bank balance :thinking::thinking::thinking: Still puzzled how that happened.
But I did get to shoot a few frames on the 5Dc with the EF 28-105mm USM f 3.5/4.5 lens and was impressed at images from it Taken on Barmouth beach and Harbour !
Well a few years on I now have a 5Dc grip and a few EF mount lenses and a eos to Nikon mount adaptor.
I'm just not getting out these days and getting the use it deserves.
But there is a strange attachment I have for the camera :):canon: & :nikon:

I'm sorry to hear that...
Does Canon still repairs it for free? (I guess not anymore...)

Your camera's serial number starts with 1, 2 or 3?

Thanks,
Luis

Hi Luis, still eligible for mirror repair free of charge apparently, otherwise I'd have been tempted just to carefully superglue it back in myself. Think mine was a later serial, a 2 or a 3 but I'll check when it gets back!

just got a Canon 5DC - is it worth adding magic lantern?
I tried, but I didn't got it running. The blue LED remained flashing, as far as I remember. Support for the 5D wasn't in the main branch and probably still isn't.

Only thing really missing is Auto ISO, live view and video...
I don't miss it. My 5DIII has that all, but I don't use it. Sometimes when it's on a tripod, I use live view, but it will do without that anyway.

In fact the 5D has Auto Iso, move the mode wheel to A and you'll see, it shows ISO Auto. ;-)

wish the 5DC could be tethered to capture one.

everything else I am quite happy with.

Yep, got mine back yesterday - looks like the fix includes a new mirror, a few plates and a new focusing screen too. I can recommend Fixation in London - they were very good, and seemed completely aware of the Canon recall etc.

Oh and mine is a 2xxx serial no.

Unfortunately I'm thinking about trading my 5D in for some Nikon glass, I'd certainly miss it, but I've moved over to a modern Nikon DX for general shooting, and so far really liking it.

Put the upper wheel to the green rectangle and press the Drive-ISO button. On the top display you read Auto ISO.

Back