Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Can't find one of these already so how about we start one? Just got one from MBP (great service btw) along with:

17-40L
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Sigma 50 1.4
70-200 2.8L

Been using exclusively M4/3 cameras up until now. Still getting to grips with it but I really like it so far.

The bad:

Sensor dust
AF isn't amazing, especially in low light
Screen isn't great

Other than that it seems pretty sweet. Few test shots etc so far.....

5266260053_d7eedb1b91_b.jpg

5269873665_f7934aa234_b.jpg

5269867529_7dd86a60ea_b.jpg

5270476258_2ec0363486_z.jpg

5269867091_675290bd4a_b.jpg

5269542552_c9aeea5d0f_b.jpg

Please share pics, tips and tricks etc etc :)

Last edited:
Glad you like it. I have a 5DI and it's my "grab" camera of choice. I'm thinking about the 5DII and would have jumped but lack of job security is holding me back. I really don't want to let my 5D go and will want to be happily settled with the 5DII first. At the price the 5DI is a cracking piece of kit.
IMG_0857.jpg

Yep the 5D is a cracking camera,i just love the IQ.:)(y)

Nice Garden pic, which lens is that with?

Been out with the 17-40L - seems amazing on the 5D, really wide and really sharp.

5270943824_f96f1afb83_b.jpg

I've got loads of bloody dust spots etc on the sensor though - anyone got any tips for getting rid or avoiding getting more? Tried to edit them out but I'm sure I'll have missed some.

Iv used one for years for all my photography needs, cracking cameras, im emotionally attached to mine and cannot get rid of it even when I get a MK2 eventually! lol, yeah sensor dust is annoying beyond belief but I do alot of low light stuff so luckly it hardly shows. The AF is actually quite good but you have to know how it behaves, pick up and play doesnt work so well, for best results it tends to be used best by autofocusing with the centre spot and then recomposing while keeping the shutter button half way down, you will get v fast with it with practice. I mostly do events and night photography with mine and its huge sensor with sensible mp count really helps with noise, great cam.

Glad you've started this thread Graham - I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade my 40D to either a new 7D or a second hand 5D mk1 (can't stretch to a mk2 at the moment). The 5D would mean a change of a couple of lenses but it would be cheaper than the 7D so could use the difference on new glass.:thinking:

If you intend to go FF eventually then the 5D is a brilliant camera.:)(y)

great pics there graham. i've been wanting to jump to the 5d but hesitating. just wondering if those pics are straight out of camera?if not, how much pp has been applied to those pics?

Glad you've started this thread Graham - I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade my 40D to either a new 7D or a second hand 5D mk1 (can't stretch to a mk2 at the moment). The 5D would mean a change of a couple of lenses but it would be cheaper than the 7D so could use the difference on new glass.:thinking:

That was my thinking - I was tempted by the 5D II as well, but I wouldn't have had as much to spend on lenses. I may end up getting a 5D MK II when the 5D MK III comes out, or even a MK III if it looks really good. :) Will probably hang on to the 5D I as a backup.

great pics there graham. i've been wanting to jump to the 5d but hesitating. just wondering if those pics are straight out of camera?if not, how much pp has been applied to those pics?

Cheers, I have done a bit of PP to all of the pics, but just quickly in Lightroom. Mostly just playing around with levels/contrast/vignettes.

The AF is actually quite good but you have to know how it behaves, pick up and play doesnt work so well, for best results it tends to be used best by autofocusing with the centre spot and then recomposing while keeping the shutter button half way down, you will get v fast with it with practice.

Thanks for the tip - will have a play. I think part of the problem is with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 - don't think the AF is as good as the Canon lenses.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend me a decent cheap battery for the 5D? The ones that came with my camera seem to lose charge pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend me a decent cheap battery for the 5D? The ones that came with my camera seem to lose charge pretty quickly.
I've bought Duracell brand clones from Amazon and had no problems with them. They don't come with the plastic covers, but you can pick those up cheap on ebay if you want them.

Nice Garden pic, which lens is that with?

Which - mine?

That'd either be a 50/55mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 MF lens (which I recall using around the gardens - it's Blickling Hall), or the 16-35L which I used indoors. It definitely isn't 70-200 f/4!

what a great idea for a thread! (but then i would say that wouldn't I)

it's great timing actually because i was toying with the idea just last week of offering something for 5D users, but thought it might be difficult to 'control'.

basically, i bought a DVD when i got my 5D about 2 years ago, it's kind of a home-made / open university style geeky production... but it is worth having a look at. it's called 'Canon EOS 5D Made Easy' and it's a double DVD pack which takes you through everything the 5D can do. what i am offering is to send the DVD to whoever wants it.. no fee... but when you're done with it, pass it on to someone else who wants to have a gander. i know most of you will have looked at just about every option there is on the 5D... after all... it's not swamped with unecessary gadgets... just a hard working, damn good camera.

anyone interested?

it's great timing actually because i was toying with the idea just last week of offering something for 5D users, but thought it might be difficult to 'control'.

basically, i bought a DVD when i got my 5D about 2 years ago, it's kind of a home-made / open university style geeky production... but it is worth having a look at. it's called 'Canon EOS 5D Made Easy' and it's a double DVD pack which takes you through everything the 5D can do. what i am offering is to send the DVD to whoever wants it.. no fee... but when you're done with it, pass it on to someone else who wants to have a gander. i know most of you will have looked at just about every option there is on the 5D... after all... it's not swamped with unecessary gadgets... just a hard working, damn good camera.

anyone interested?
I would like to be the first to take you up on your offer thanks:)(y)
PM,D

Last edited:
Yay good to see this thread getting going. Lots more pics please!

I've bought Duracell brand clones from Amazon and had no problems with them. They don't come with the plastic covers, but you can pick those up cheap on ebay if you want them.

Ta (y)

Which - mine?

That'd either be a 50/55mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 MF lens (which I recall using around the gardens - it's Blickling Hall), or the 16-35L which I used indoors. It definitely isn't 70-200 f/4!

Ta (y)

I'd like to add myself to the list for the DVD.

If possible when we post pics can we say what lens was used?

These are with the 70-200 2.8

5275792224_54fc01a3f1_b.jpg

5275242137_7a6ae49476_z.jpg

Last edited:
i hate you all for having 5d's!!! lol

I have my little 400d and have seen so many 5d's come up on the members market, im so tempted to just go for one, i just cant get over the difference in image quality between the 400 and the 5d, the depth is out of this world!

Dylan, I think you NEED to get one! Bear in mind though for full frame you would probably need a load of new (pricy) lenses.

Does anyone know if there are any 3rd party grips that are any good or should I just try and get the Canon one? Just bought a cheapo Delta one off ebay but it's really not very good and I'm going to send it back. It just doesn't fit properly flush with the camera body.

Dylan, I think you NEED to get one! Bear in mind though for full frame you would probably need a load of new (pricy) lenses.

Does anyone know if there are any 3rd party grips that are any good or should I just try and get the Canon one? Just bought a cheapo Delta one off ebay but it's really not very good and I'm going to send it back. It just doesn't fit properly flush with the camera body.

i've wanted a grip for ages but just never had time to look into it properly (there's no way i'm going for big bucks canon one). but, does the Delta one require you to unscrew the door off the battery housing on the body? and then you slot the grip onto the fixing where the door was?

someone at the model shoot we had a couple of months back had a cheapo grip for his 5D and thats what he had to do to attach it to the body. can't remember his name though :bonk:

this is one from my local photography club' studio

having a few issues with adobe lightroom 3 not brining out the correct colour and also it actually unsharpen's the image's which seems a common problem

only had the camera about 6 weeks so still getting use to it and playing with it not done any scenic photos not sure why i havnt but i havnt lol

IMG_9064 by wegotitugetit, on Flickr

Last edited:
On my last camera the 50D i bought a phottix grip & it was very good,google it & see.:)
You have to take the battery door off to use a grip,but once its on thats it.

Last edited:
Love mine. Still looking to move to a mk2, or maybe even the mk3 depening on when that comes out.

5D + 24-105
Firefly+WR+0156.jpg

5D + 17-40
155412_177001168993686_119168001443670_555420_8257269_n.jpg

5D + 17-40
40889_164366606923809_119168001443670_464901_7194183_n.jpg

I think this was taken with a 5d too + 70-200f4
60436_158710314156105_119168001443670_428020_398731_n.jpg

Love my 5D especially when paired with the 24-105mm.
Wouldn't swap it for anything and as others have mentioned has become the 'grab' camera of choice despite having the 7D!

Had mine for ages, super bit of kit which just keeps going and going and going (y) Despite all the hot and cold places it's been, it's only let me down once and that was when the mirror feel out two weeks ago whilst I was shooting a wedding :eek: Simply took it into Elstree for the free fix and even got it back in 3 days (y) Would'nt swap mine for the world, but maybe just for a MKII or even a 1Ds Mk III :D

Nice pics bass_junkie

i've wanted a grip for ages but just never had time to look into it properly (there's no way i'm going for big bucks canon one). but, does the Delta one require you to unscrew the door off the battery housing on the body? and then you slot the grip onto the fixing where the door was?

someone at the model shoot we had a couple of months back had a cheapo grip for his 5D and thats what he had to do to attach it to the body. can't remember his name though :bonk:

Yeah you take the battery door off then insert part of the grip into the battery compartment - then screw it onto the thread at the bottom of the camera. I've used one before on a friend's camera that worked the same way, but this one really doesn't fit well at all - I'm sending it back.

On my last camera the 50D i bought a phottix grip & it was very good,google it & see.:)
You have to take the battery door off to use a grip,but once its on thats it.

Cheers, ordered a second hand Phottix one. (y)

Ultimately I would like a 5D MK II or III - having the AF from the 7D with the 5D's IQ sounds pretty much ideal if the rumours are correct. I bet it will be pricy when it comes out though.

Just got an 85mm 1.8 for mine off the classifieds - seems like quite a lens! Very sharp wide open and blazingly fast AF.

5282558743_68c362135b_b.jpg

5284824870_34c05782b4_z.jpg

Also got a Sigma 1.4 TC to use with the 70-200 2.8, giving a 100-280 f4. There is a bit of a drop in quality but it's very acceptable to me, especially if you stop down a little.

5284090943_b29f5db88e_b.jpg

Had my sensor cleaned FOC calumet trade-show saved £35.00 +vat, what i love about the 5D is the simple menu and great results, had mine a while just over 10,000 shots 03?? serial number that's a 08 model the screen is very good on mine for a quick review.

Love the fell of the 5D and weighted nicely with the Grip, using 70-200mm is 2.8, and when it arrives siggy 50mm 1.4...bokeh-lichous,creamy cheesey :D

just remmember serial numbers starting with 0= 2005, 1=2006, 2=2007, 3=2008, there where some issues with early ones and the screen resolution improved on later ones.

Merc

Last edited:
I think a lot of people have hit the nail right on the head, its not over complicated and has great IQ built into a 'small' body, it just does everything you want from a digital camera. I am slightly concerned that when the Mk3 comes out it will have better AF for sure and probably a better rear screen but will it have bells and whistles it seems most of us dont need? I know we dont have to use them but simple operations then become complex because of multi function controls etc, I think it would be a great shame if the handling becomes over complicated. Having said that I'm going to be giving one a real hard look when it comes out :)
I doubt I'll get rid of my Mk1 though, I may have to let the wife use it instead.

Matt

Well used the 1DIV and 1DsIII, then turned back to the 5D and left not wanting any of the others, 49 point AF even the canon guy got mixed up and we where all waiting while he sorted out the D so we could take a shot, got bored and rattled off a couple on the 5D and TBH on camera screen the 1D's are better, no contest, but loaded on computer to me :shrug:, not sour grapes i could have one if i wanted, but

For me a DSLR camera should still be like a Film camera, the 5D touches on picturestyles which can be preloaded on DPP but apart from that it's point and shoot and always in manual, RAW, with out all this lens calibration 7D malarkey IQ fetle here fetle there :puke:

i spend 45 sec on a picture if i cannot think what to do with it in that time i move on, the picture has to speak to you right away, otherwise it's very shy and will take time to bring out:)

Merc

Yup I also like the simplicity. I would like the live view and video mode off the mk ii though

Merc - if my serial starts 04 does that make it a late model?

Last edited:
Not been on the forums for ages and was beginning to thing I was left in history with all the people on here going on about 5d mkII's...

But im sticking with my MKI... which im sad to say I have not used in six months due to just being busy with other stuff... photography has taken a real back seat the last few years... however...

I love mine too... It's the last full frame camera Canon have done which is ideal for me... Im a travel / landscape tog really... I dont need video or ultra fast iso...

I will actually struggle if it gives up in time as I only want a camera to be what the 5d mkI is... nothing less and nothing more... I completely maxed a card when I bought it... but it was worth it!

One thing i've not had an issue with yet is sensor dust... but I never pixel peep so I dont tend to notice or even know what im looking for anyway... or if it is a problem!

See my flickr for some images... but only the more recent... pre 07 was taken on my trusty EOS3 film camera...

Glad to find this thread!!!!

I moved from an old 1D to my 5D a couple of years ago. Have to say that I love it. Does require more forethought to get it to work than the 1D as it's clearly not as good in AF or metering.
Ref the AF, I now shoot almost always in AI Servo with the centre spot, but with the AF function moved to the * button (it's available within the menu options). That allows much easier focus and recomposing.

I think the biggest change was the matching of lenses. My old 1D pumelled every lens into focusing well. The 5D simply can't do that. I found the 50/1.8 to be seriously hit and miss, and ended up replacing it with an 85/1.8. Have to say that was one of the best decisions I've made. The 85/1.8 is sat on my 5D 90% of the time now. Ace AF and the shallow DOF and bokeh are wonderful. It also makes both of my L series zooms look really "ok" for IQ. Infact it's so good that it's made them both redundant and I'm now moving wholly to primes. Picked up my 100mm macro this week and should be receiving my 35/2 shorly.

All in all, the 5D is still a brilliant tool.

I use mine mainly with old manual focus lenses, for which the camera is perfect as there's no crop compromise and I can use lenses from Contax, Olympus, Nikon, M42, Pentax, Exakta and Leica systems.

The LCD is a bit dodgy (even on my newer 2xxxxxxxx serial model) but the results are fantastic! I would like a 5D MK II or even III one day, but I can't really justify it at the moment. The two biggest improvements for me would be the better screen and the higher ISO capability.

Yup I also like the simplicity. I would like the live view and video mode off the mk ii though

Merc - if my serial starts 04 does that make it a late model?

thats a new one on me :thinking:

sorry was on brandy last night 04 starting 0 is a 2005

0=2005,1=2006,2=2007,=3=2008---------hope this cleared it up,

Last edited:
Focus screens and custom funtions 00

just realised after getting the siggy my settings for FS are not right, 5D shipped with Ee A as standard, mine has the Ee S for manual focus help a darker contrasting screen, notice i was about 1/4 cen out on focus changed custom functions and it's a lot better spot on.

Check your focus screen Ee A bright clear, Ee S darker, Ee D grid, makes a differance

Merc

anyone interested?

Grate thread and a good read:D
I would be very interested in a look at your DVD;)

thats a new one on me :thinking:

sorry was on brandy last night 04 starting 0 is a 2005

0=2005,1=2006,2=2007,=3=2008---------hope this cleared it up,

Cheers - got a bit confused but never mind. (y)

Mine is an old one then eh, still seems to be working fine though. From what I can gather it looks like the mirror fix has been done.

Did my first paid shoot with the 5D yesterday - worked well and the family were really chuffed with the sample pics I sent them. Mostly ended up using the 85mm 1.8 - such a lovely lens. Light was pretty awful - after days of lovely sunny skies and snow it has gone grey and drizzly - had to bump the ISO quite a bit even outdoors in the middle of the afternoon.

IMG_0107 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

IMG_9999-Edit by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

IMG_9840 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

IMG_0014-Edit by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

IMG_9551 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Last edited:
Waiting for grum,s addy to send off the dvd to him.:)(y)

jockwav has received the DVD and i've told him that Grum is next on the list!

hope you enjoy... (y)

Back