Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

this is the list after WillieL...

FELIX
ALSOS
EVOTWO
MARKELLIOT

i'll nudge a couple of elbows and see what happens

aha, yeh i suppose that's a benefit... like the lower levels taken in grum's shots above. they would crick the neck a bit wouldn't they looking thru the viewfinder.

Man up and lie on the floor, that's what I do! :LOL:

to WillieL

Hi ya, how ya getting on with the 5D dvd?
cheers
Al

i've PM'd WillieL and Felix to see where they're up to with it.....
(goes off to do a quick search on ebay :cautious:)

Shot a mixed arts gig last night - with a really interesting Q+A with rock photographer Ian Tilton. Found the AF mostly ok in very low light - though only really with the central focus point.

Wired In @ The Dukes, Lancaster by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

they are very very good graham (y)

the B&W conversion and the noise in low light has really added to the atmosphere of these... very much like they were shot on film.

It was the talk of the AF that made the 5D debateable for me. I guess ill find out when I next go racin!

I went with the 5D because i realised i shoot more people than cars :shrug:

I think people make out it is far worse than it actually is to be honest. Fair enough the 5D is designed to be best for portrait and landscapes, but that doesnt mean it can't hold its own in other areas. But just dont ask it to focus on a low contrast point in low light........ :LOL:

I've had a reply from Willie
"I have passed the DVD to Felix, he should pass it on to you next.

Cheers
Willie"
i'll keep it for 2 days and its on to EVOTWO

I've had a reply from Willie
"I have passed the DVD to Felix, he should pass it on to you next.

Cheers
Willie"
i'll keep it for 2 days and its on to EVOTWO

2 days???? you'll need longer than that to absorb all the content.. it's rivetting stuff :geek:

I think people make out it is far worse than it actually is to be honest. Fair enough the 5D is designed to be best for portrait and landscapes, but that doesnt mean it can't hold its own in other areas. But just dont ask it to focus on a low contrast point in low light........ :LOL:

Well ive been out and tried it today with some fast moving trains (something else I do a lot of). High contrast stuff shooting deliberately into shadows with a very bright blue sky etc, and various other things to see if I could fool it. First time ive used it in anger since I bought it, and its obviously far cleverer than me :LOL:

Since its obviously competent at that, itll be more than good enough for what I end up doing at the raceway.

Shot a mixed arts gig last night - with a really interesting Q+A with rock photographer Ian Tilton. Found the AF mostly ok in very low light - though only really with the central focus point.

5428201588_0dcca83bfc_b.jpg
love this shot

Her nose looks weird.:)

:LOL::p:):naughty:

I was on ebay earlier and decided to do a search for one... one came up for £470 and i put a cheeky bid in, but got outbid. It was a spur of the moment type thing, it went for £550 in the end but that did have a grip too!

Might trade my 450d for this. Does it have AF on half release of shutter?

Tc4 do you mean does the AF start on a half press of the shutter button? Well yes as do most AF cameras, you can also configure another button to do the AF leaving AE lock on a half press, the camera, although older, is much more customisable than the 450d and has more external controls....

Tc4 do you mean does the AF start on a half press of the shutter button? Well yes as do most AF cameras, you can also configure another button to do the AF leaving AE lock on a half press, the camera, although older, is much more customisable than the 450d and has more external controls....

It must of been a faulty second hand camera I was looking at that said AF did not work on half press.

Nevermind then :)

I use thumb focus on my 5D as thats what I feel allows the most flexiblity when working as having that seperate focus and exposure lock is a godsend, where you can configure it on the menu somewhere. When anyone else picks up my camera they think the AF aint working, and when I tell them to use their thumb on the back * button they look at me like I have two heads.

Anyway, as posted in the C&C section one my latest shots with the 5D. I absolutely love this camera!

IMG_2375.jpg

Last edited:
Was playing bout with a bit of welding glass today and I've noticed that on the images where I used it there's several hot pixels.
They don't seem to be showing on normal exposures, just on the long ones that I was making with the welding glass, should I be worried or is a couple on 20second + exposures to be expected?

Bizarre, I was in Lightroom, zoomed in to clone out the hot pixels and they disappeared.

Last edited:
should I be worried or is a couple on 20second + exposures to be expected?

Bizarre, I was in Lightroom, zoomed in to clone out the hot pixels and they disappeared.

Use in-camera dark frame subtraction (otherwise known as long exposure noise reduction).

Anyone any experiance of the 70-300L on the 5d classic... I think it might be my next lens purchase...

No experience of that lens but I can, having owned both, recommend either of the 70-200 f4 lenses....

I had a shoot recently with a colleague of mine.
c&c welcome
this one was with a a 70-200mm f4 L
p341557308-4.jpg

this with a 17-40mm f4 L
p70172608-3.jpg

Markelliott, when I had a 40d and the 70-200, a friend I used to go to shoot motorsport with had the 70-300 on a 40d. He sold his lens and bought secondhand 70-200 because of the difference in IQ and focusing...

Really nice low key shots alsos - lighting is great.
thanks Grum, we did several lighting set ups, pic 1 was my favourite, two strip boxes, one either side.

Last edited:
Back