Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

It was about 3-4 years ago and he bought it secondhand
but that is all i know, don't get me wrong, for the price the IQ was good but not up to the 70-200 and the focus in was poor in comparison

I use thumb focus on my 5D as thats what I feel allows the most flexiblity when working as having that seperate focus and exposure lock is a godsend, where you can configure it on the menu somewhere. When anyone else picks up my camera they think the AF aint working, and when I tell them to use their thumb on the back * button they look at me like I have two heads.

Anyway, as posted in the C&C section one my latest shots with the 5D. I absolutely love this camera!

IMG_2375.jpg

As per my clients request I ordered some prints of the set this belongs to from Loxley, and looking at the detail and smoothness of the prints they are amazing. This camera is the DB's. (y)

Well, this thread couldn't be more relevant for me!

Equipment I had:
Canon 40D
Canon EF-S 55-250IS
Sigma 24-60 f/2.8
Sigma 10-20

I've just sold the 10-20 and the 55-250IS (couldn't use them on a 5D) and purchased a 17-40L from ebay.

I'm now looking to sell my 40d and my remaining sigma lens to buy a 5D.

I've been using digital SLRs for years now, got a 350d back in the day when I was about 15, upgraded to a 40d, and now on reflection of what I use and what I don't, I mainly do landscapes and portraits, and rarely used my telephoto lens, so I decided to sell it all and jump into full frame territory.

My question is, is there anything to look out for with the purchase of a second or even third hand 5d?
and how much did you guys pay for your second hand 5d's?

I'm looking to pay around £450 for <20,000 shutter actuations, is that reasonable?

You should expect to pay a minimum of £600 for a good 5D and up to £700 for a mint very low actuation one. With £450 you will get one that will fall apart in a day (IF you ever manage to find one for that price).

Less than 2 weeks ago I paid almost £800 for my mint 5D (less than 5,000 actuations) + genuine grip + extra battery, all boxed as new. It was totally worth it!

You should expect to pay a minimum of £600 for a good 5D and up to £700 for a mint very low actuation one. With £450 you will get one that will fall apart in a day (IF you ever manage to find one for that price).

Less than 2 weeks ago I paid almost £800 for my mint 5D (less than 5,000 actuations) + genuine grip + extra battery, all boxed as new. It was totally worth it!

Tail end of last year I paid £800 for a mint 5D as new no marks whatsoever anywhere plus it had just had the mirror done (as a precaution) and a clean, no grip though. Worth every penny, was like new.

Matt

My question is, is there anything to look out for with the purchase of a second or even third hand 5d?
and how much did you guys pay for your second hand 5d's?

I'm looking to pay around £450 for <20,000 shutter actuations, is that reasonable?

You'll be lucky to get one for that price where I think the minimum price a reasonable 5D goes for is about £600. MPB have a couple going for about £700 in mint condition, which isnt bad.

Things to watch out for on these is mainly a dirty sensor, so just expect to pay a little to get that cleaned when you first get it.

Once you've got it, had a little while to get used to the feel of it, you'll wonder why you didnt go full frame earlier.

Guess I was lucky getting this one at £495 the discription didnt do it justice!
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=280209

That's what I've based my searches on, so I should be looking, minimum, at around £500? I think my budget can accommodate for that. I think I'm definitely going to miss some of the things my 40D had to offer, such as live view, but I know the image quality in the end will make it all worth while.

Last edited:
If you're getting a 5D I'd try and keep that Sigma 24-60. It's superb with a 5D...

I've got a 17-40L, and I intend on eventually getting a 50mm prime, an 85mm prime and a 70-200 telezoom.

I've withdrawn my 40D for sale until I can find a 5D for £450 on Ebay. They've been there, I've seen them, but it could be a while before I see another one, so I'm just going to hold onto the 40D, buy a 5D, then sell the 40D.

Great find this thread - just bought a 5Di - lens arrived in post today so going to have a play this weekend - can't wait - especially having read this!

Must say im loving mine. Only had it a few weeks, but I think im in luuurve :LOL:
Grip has arrived today too...so thats another toy.

Just out of curiosity, which ultra wide zooms does everyone recommend? I keep looking at 17-40L's, but I've given the budget a bit too much of a caning for a while (y)

I've got a Sigma 17-35mm f2.8-4 (the newer ex dg hsm version) and it works well with the 5D. It's quite an affordable option (under £250 second hand) so selling my old 10-20mm paid for it!

DaveRed - I've got a 17-40L, bought s/h from MPB - it's lovely. Just do it, it's only money! :)

And buying decent lenses second hand is probably better than keeping money in a savings account, effectively losing money every day due to inflation/low interest. That's my excuse anyway ;)

And buying decent lenses second hand is probably better than keeping money in a savings account, effectively losing money every day due to inflation/low interest. That's my excuse anyway ;)

Well..yeah, but...but...BUT...

Oh bugger. I cant argue with that. :D

Ive got a 17-40 its not what I would call soft at f4 but it sure does sharpen up from f5.6 onwards
overall I would say the 17-40 is a great lens!

Just love my 17-40:):D

hi everyone, i currently shoot nikon d300s but used to shoot canon. I really dont like the noise of the d300s even at low iso's. Would you still buy a 5d classic now ? as am thinking of selling my nikon gear and buying 5d mk1,50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8.
Would you do it ?

hi everyone, i currently shoot nikon d300s but used to shoot canon. I really dont like the noise of the d300s even at low iso's. Would you still buy a 5d classic now ? as am thinking of selling my nikon gear and buying 5d mk1,50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8.
Would you do it ?

I sold a D3 to get a 5D1. And a 1D2 and two L lenses etc.
In other words, yes, do it!

Would you do it ?

I must confess, i know diddly squat about nikons.:bonk:
To be able to advise about your lens selection and the 5D what do you enjoy shooting? and in what environment?

I also have the 5d, 1d mk2 and a couple of L lenses, compared to the d300 (which I owned for a few months during a brief dalliance with nikon) I'd say do it, the 5d noise and IQ is better, the 1d mk2 is a brilliant sports camera ( and can be bought for £400) and the f4 L lenses have no real competitors in the nikon system

oh no more samyang shots sir, ive been looking for a fisheye dont encourage me!
oh go on got anymore!?:naughty::naughty:

:D

It's manual focus only but I found setting it to F8-11 and around a metre and a half on the focus scale meant most things were fairly sharp. It's cool for sneaky street photography as the ridiculously wide FOV means it looks like you are pointing your camera elsewhere. ;)

I fancied a fisheye and will use it for video on the 7D, but it seems sensible not to spend loads on something that you might not use that much. BTW the best price I found was from UKOptics, and no problems at all with the service. Apparently you can either file down or take off the built in hood so it doesn't show up on full frame.

20110301-IMG_2829 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

20110301-IMG_2890 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

20110301-IMG_2821 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Last edited:
Got my 17-40 and just waiting on my 5D! It was supposed to be posted yesterday on RMSD so it should be arriving today, but the seller hasn't mentioned anything so I'm not sure what's going on :shrug:

I can't wait to get out and about with it :D

It's manual focus only but I found setting it to F8-11 and around a metre and a half on the focus scale meant most things were fairly sharp. It's cool for sneaky street photography as the ridiculously wide FOV means it looks like you are pointing your camera elsewhere. ;)

I fancied a fisheye and will use it for video on the 7D, but it seems sensible not to spend loads on something that you might not use that much. BTW the best price I found was from UKOptics, and no problems at all with the service. Apparently you can either file down or take off the built in hood so it doesn't show up on full frame.

Those are damned sharp!
I had one of those foreign fisheye lenses once, but my god was it difficult to use. Manual focus was a nightmare and I could never get anything in focus. The only shot that actually came out nicely with it was this one for a band called Kenelis:

Live%20Music%20-%20Kenelis%201.jpg

I never thought of using a lower aperture to make more things in focus, and it looks like it's worked a treat for you!

Would you do it ?

cont

I mainly shoot portraits and have in the past done wedding as a 2nd shooter so low light performance is important. I have compared shots taken with my old canon 350d 50mm f1.4 lens at iso 800 against a similar image at similar settings with my nikon d300s and 50mm f1.8 and the noise in the nikon is nasty ! AM i missing something ? i thought it would be better than that.
Dont get me wrong, i switched due to lots of missed focused images and thats where the nikon shines but i would rather shoot more images and get less noise in my images.

I think im set to sell the nikon stuff i have bought, my wife will go nuts. Ha Ha

i switched due to lots of missed focused images and thats where the nikon shines but i would rather shoot more images and get less noise in my images.

Surely a properly focussed image is far more important than a noise free one? Noise can be removed, for the most part, later on. Dont misunderstand me...im all for converting folks to Canon, but I think you may be about to switch brands at great expense, for all the wrong reasons.

20110301-IMG_2829 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

20110301-IMG_2890 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

20110301-IMG_2821 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

they're ace!

how much you talking for one of those fishy things? :geek:

Cheers for the comments folks. Samyang 8mm Fisheye was £200 plus delivery from UKOptics. Remember it's not designed for full frame so cropping is needed.

just had a quick scoot on ebay... there's a sigma 8mm - but then i read it was for nikon :thumbsdown:

ooh just found a sigma 15mm f2.8 now for canon fit... £100 with 5 days left.

i'll have a watch of that (y)

Back