Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

I was looking at the Zenitar 16mm fisheye the other day. It is designed for film/full frame, full manual but available around £140ish. Tempting, although after getting the 5D I probably shouldn't be spending any more...

i sold my Bigma a couple of weeks ago for £490, so i've got a hole burning in my paypal pocket :D

Grum Great selection of shots there!
Leftcurl wish I did ;-)
So guys whats the best bank balance friendly full frame fish eye? in your opinion

Potentially stupid question..

.. but how are you supposed to accurately focus on a subject that is way outside the AF points and shooting at f1.2/f1.4 on a 5D? Is it extremely difficult to get it right, as I'm pretty sure focus and recomposing at such a small DoF is just going to cause all sorts of issues.

I've never had a problem with that method on a crop sensor and smaller apertures before, but I forsee all sorts of problems on a FF camera like the 5D and large apertures.

Potentially stupid question..

.. but how are you supposed to accurately focus on a subject that is way outside the AF points and shooting at f1.2/f1.4 on a 5D? Is it extremely difficult to get it right, as I'm pretty sure focus and recomposing at such a small DoF is just going to cause all sorts of issues.

I've never had a problem with that method on a crop sensor and smaller apertures before, but I forsee all sorts of problems on a FF camera like the 5D and large apertures.

Sorry but I have lost the thread here

What is this post refering to?

Anyone

Sorry but I have lost the thread here

What is this post refering to?

Anyone

I'm asking a question to 5D users as to how they use AF when using a small DoF outside of the AF points on their camera.

I don't use AF in that situation because the act of recomposing will usually make the intended point of focus actually be out of focus. I use MF after composing, a bit of a pain but doable at f1.8

Well last night was the first time I actually got to use my 5D 'in anger', so to speak. Did a few shots at my mates gig, and it has to be THE worst lit venue ive ever seen :(

Even at 3200 and f1.8 I was struggling to get anything over 1/30th. I did get a few keepers, though they arent really up to the standard of some of the stuff ive seen on here! Most of all I was impressed with the performance at that high an ISO.

_MG_6088.jpg

_MG_6114.jpg

not too shabby at all Dave... i think when you're taking gig shots (not like i've ever done any mind)... a little bit of blur, noise, grit etc... all adds to the atmos of the images anyway.

splendid work (y)

Cheers (y)

To be honest im chuffed with a few (maybe half a dozen) and gutted with the other hundred or so, but given the light in there i consider myself lucky to get those!

It did make me think though that if I had still been using my 500D, i'd probably have come away with nothing useable.

Well last night was the first time I actually got to use my 5D 'in anger', so to speak. Did a few shots at my mates gig, and it has to be THE worst lit venue ive ever seen :(

Even at 3200 and f1.8 I was struggling to get anything over 1/30th. I did get a few keepers, though they arent really up to the standard of some of the stuff ive seen on here! Most of all I was impressed with the performance at that high an ISO.

_MG_6088.jpg

_MG_6114.jpg

These are pretty nice given the conditions - I know your pain of shooting in really poor light. One thing you can try is shoot RAW and deliberately underexpose to get a better shutter speed then try and bring it back up afterwards. Probably pushing it though as I think 3200 on the 5D isn't a 'real' ISO setting.

Thanks Grum. Thats exactly what I did with a bunch of them. I shoot RAW all the time anyway, but I was hoping to get away with 1600iso...not a prayer! I was also hoping to try out my 2.8 lens on a few of them. Not a prayer with that either :LOL:

In the end I finished up using the evening as a test really. Meddling with settings, getting my head around just how different it is to the 500D im used to, and generally just getting comfortable with it.

Woohoo! 5D arrived today, followed shortly after by my nifty fifty (I had one before, didn't like the focal length on my 40D, thought I'd try it out on my 5D)

Here are some pics:

5498571717_0ce123341c_z.jpg

5499165388_3d6db86bf0_z.jpg

5498571451_e4fb2a849f_z.jpg

5498571511_47c392fdfa_z.jpg

Part of the lovely looking effect is from the 50mm but I know that the camera is really something special.

This was just a quick smash around before I go to work, more tomorrow :)

Liking those Sean :)

Oh and you lot are a bad influence. I've come home from Focus with a 17-40L (y)
You are all now officially in trouble with my missus.

I think the one thing I've noticed that's better than my 40D and the lenses I had is clarity.
The photographs are just so clear!
I haven't really had a lot to photograph since I got the camera, plus it has no strap so I don't really want to carry it around without any kind of drop-protection, but I'm really looking forward to using it properly.

We're having a house party on Tuesday so I'll probably crack it out then :D

I've joined the 5D club, after not finding anything at Focus I ordered one today from Ffordes, I've got a trip to Scotland next week to put it through its paces too, yay!

Hi all! New to the forums - didn't know they existed until I was browsing the iOS App store photography section. I've browsed a little over the last fortnight as the forums seemed full of useful info but finally registered today to say that I think this thread has convinced me to pick up a Mark I!

Currently got a Nikon D80 with just the 18-135 kit lens. Been looking to get some better lenses for a while but curiosity (and some friends who are Canon users) made me look at the Canon range of lenses. I want something in the 70-200 range and the f4 L series looks really tempting - Nikon don't really have anything which competes here.

Having sense the lens I started looking at Canon bodies with a view to making the switch. I soon realised I might be able to get a used 5d in good condition for less than most of the new bodies and go full frame into the bargain. I'm not skilled enough to get the most from a camera like that yet I don't think but I'm keen to learn!

This thread has convinced me to look seriously at that so I'm going to start having a look for a used camera in good condition with a view to picking one up if I get a good annual bonus at the end of the month!

Sorry for the long rambling post... it was only going to be a quick post when I started...

There are undoubtedly Nikon users that would argue, but the 70-200 f4L does punch well above its weight, particularly when you consider how cheap they are now for a good used one. I paid £360 for mine I think, and coupled with my used 5D (£630, last month) its pretty bloody good.

Welcome to the light side (y)

Last edited:
Hi All. I am new to this forum, I have a Sony A700 and thought I would like to try FF, So I bought a 5D, But it does not have a Manul with it, does anyone know where I could get one, and are the Cheat Sheets any good that are for sale on Ebay, Thanking you John.

Last edited:
Hi John - I have a pdf of the manual, I can't remember where I got it from but if you PM me an email address I can send it to you. You could add yourself to the list for the DVD going round also.

Hi all! New to the forums - didn't know they existed until I was browsing the iOS App store photography section. I've browsed a little over the last fortnight as the forums seemed full of useful info but finally registered today to say that I think this thread has convinced me to pick up a Mark I!

Currently got a Nikon D80 with just the 18-135 kit lens. Been looking to get some better lenses for a while but curiosity (and some friends who are Canon users) made me look at the Canon range of lenses. I want something in the 70-200 range and the f4 L series looks really tempting - Nikon don't really have anything which competes here.

Having sense the lens I started looking at Canon bodies with a view to making the switch. I soon realised I might be able to get a used 5d in good condition for less than most of the new bodies and go full frame into the bargain. I'm not skilled enough to get the most from a camera like that yet I don't think but I'm keen to learn!

This thread has convinced me to look seriously at that so I'm going to start having a look for a used camera in good condition with a view to picking one up if I get a good annual bonus at the end of the month!

Sorry for the long rambling post... it was only going to be a quick post when I started...

Pretty much why I changed.

I had an old Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 one touch which I sold for right about what the Canon 70-200mm f4 L cost me. The little bit of extra speed on the Nikon lens was nice and the old one touch is well known for being stupidly sharp but the Canon 70-200 f4 is just just as nice in some ways and nicer in others. I quite often have to knock it right out of focus and make it refocus using AF just to check it's working because it's so quiet and smooth in operation. It's usually attached to a 1Dmk1 and that whole setup weighs about the same as the Nikon lens on it's own so that's nice too.

Not been using my 5d all that much since I got it but did some pretty low light stuff last week and it was great.

I cant i'm afraid (mines wired), but someone will no doubt be able to.

Guys..can I get added to the list for the DVD please? :)

welcome mate, as you can see from this thread there seems to be quite a few 5D's knocking around at very reasonable money. You won't regret getting one, they are real workhorses - without all the bells and whistles!

get stuck in (y)

where are we up to with the DVD. Last i heard the list was:

ALSOS
EVOTWO
MARK ELLIOTT
MADMATT
DAVERED
DAVE WALTON

this list will edited as we progress thru it (y)

Last edited:
Well what a day, I went to focus on imaging and my 5Dc arrived in the post :)

rock on dave! you can bin that tacky 7D now you've got a proper camera :LOL:

I've only just got my 7D but I have to say it seems rather nifty having a full frame and a crop body - you sort of get your lens collection doubled up, and the fast speed and AF on the 7D are a nice contrast to the simple but high IQ 5D.

My bank balance doesn't agree however :LOL:

where are we up to with the DVD. Last i heard the list was:

ALSOS
EVOTWO
MARK ELLIOTT
MADMATT
DAVERED

what's the bobby?
I've still not recieved the DVD from Felix, I PM'ed him a couple of times and got no answer then again on the 3rd....
Originally Posted by alsos
hi ya have you sent the DVD as I've not received it yet?
Cheers
Al
his reply
Hi Al yes it's wining it's way to you now.

Last edited:
I've still not recieved the DVD from Felix, I PM'ed him a couple of times and got no answer then again on the 3rd....

his reply

Update recieved today! thanks Felix.
Few days and on to Evotwo, Evotwo send your address through to me by PM in the next couple of days mate.

Back