Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Just got my new Sigma 85mm 1.4 - OMG this lens is amazing!!!

100% crop at f1.4 - no sharpening applied other than the default that LR does on import

img31022.jpg

And GORGEOUS creamy bokeh

img3122ry.jpg

The AF is really fast as well. Will be putting my Canon 85mm 1.8 up for sale very soon. Can't wait to get out and take some proper pics with it - I am shooting a wedding soon and this lens will be great imo.

Last edited:
I've got really into mine. The performance at high ISO is astounding, even at 3200.
It's cost me a bloody fortune in new lenses, but worth every penny I reckon (y)

I believe Mark Elliot is next on the list for DVD, so I have Pm'd him for address details.

Thanks for allowing the dvd to be circulated, learn't a few things from it and for me its far better than thumbing through a manual

Cheers

(y)

So what are people using to clean their sensors with? After approx one use mines got quite a few dust bunnies. I understand that normal eclipse fluid is out as you are cleaning the sensor itself. I know about E2 fluid but don't fancy using swabs as you are swabbing the sensor. Any other, good, methods?

Lovely shot Andy, glad you are enjoying the new lens. Like the processing/border too. I only decided I needed 1.4 for shooting weddings, but the 1.8 is still a really nice lens.

Guy - I just put it in sensor clean mode and give it a thorough blasting with a rocket blower, seems to get rid of the majority of the dust but you do have to do it fairly regularly.

Latest thinking apparently is that you use normal eclipse fluid. Im pretty sure they dont even make E2 anymore.

rocket blower for me.. i'm frightened to death of dabbing around in there with anything else. I normally get mine cleaned at calumet 2 or 3 times a year too (normally when they send me a £10 voucher as a sweetener to come into the shop) :D

dvd updated list...

MARK ELLIOTT
MADMATT
DAVERED
DAVE WALTON

let me know if you want adding to the list and i'll update (y)

I don't think I've posted anything I've taken with mine yet, this is frommy first proper outing with the 5D:

Splash! by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

cool shots guys.....
Well seeing as we are a bit of a run with photos on the thread I thought I would contribute a couple.
I wouldnt normally use my 5D for wildlife but seeing as it was a trip to the zoo I thought the animals would be mostly contained and slow moving. heres a select few. I have also tried some different post processing so wont be to everyones taste but would welcome cc

p206821398-4.jpg

p473838627-4.jpg

p359624660-4.jpg

p399190442-4.jpg

liking the processing on these Al.

All the animals look like they're their natural habitat too, not the zoo.

liking the processing on these Al.

All the animals look like they're their natural habitat too, not the zoo.

thanks Leftcurl I was going for that, hence the tight crops :cautious: the first of the first big cats was through grubby glass and the second was through chainlink, I was disappointed with Merley, both with the enclosures and the selection of beasties, if your a zebra fan its the place to go!:bonk:

A few from my last shoot with the 5D, all shot from Surprise View looking down to Hathersage in the Peak District

5595261190_c3ddd28e55_b.jpg

5594636771_4ca1802353_b.jpg

Last edited:
Dave I like the skittles, I think that's what they are, shot, would it have more impact with a lower angle? Looks like you've really got to grips with the 5Dc...

Last edited:
Well back with a 5D in my hand, a few from my first test shots with it and then a weekend away in Wales....

First try
5663587741_106d815287_b.jpg

5664158724_fa066ca096_b.jpg

5664154634_c97c36236c_b.jpg

Wales
5663440135_855b93a5c9_b.jpg

5663435695_1fc623be2d_b.jpg

5663434503_a16da896b8_b.jpg

good stuff Des... glad you've seen the light and got back on board with the 5D!

I can't stay away, I either don't like what replaces it or I'm unlucky and need to downgrade. I would have kept the 1ds mk2 but for money issues (and maybe added a 5Dc later). There us definitely something special about the images it produces and I seem to get more keepers using it than any other camera

Last edited:
Hi all. Loving the pics. Will post some of my own from my recent trip to nyc in a week once ive completed the pp.

Sorry ive had the dvd for so long. Its on its way in the post tomoz to the next recipient.

Mark

Could I get added to the end of the DVD list please!

Thanks

Al

Could I get added to the end of the DVD list please!

Thanks

Al

sure thing i'll update the list in a sec. (y)

*** UPDATED LIST FOR THE DVD ***

MADMATT
DAVERED
DAVE WALTON
AKR

if anyone wants adding to the list let me know and i'll update (y)

You should have the DVD any day now MADMATT.

Sorry still not been to the post office. Work was manic today... Will be away tomoz

I've had my 5D about a month, primarily to take family photos especially my 4 month old little boy.

I'd heard a bit about FF being heavy etc, but I have to say the 5D looks virtually identical to my 40d size wise, and does not feel overly heavy either. I've also read a lot about the viewfinder, but I have to say I've not immediately noticed much difference to the 40D, maybe I don't pay enough attention :thinking:

I've had the 5D mainly paired up with the 85 f1.8. Now I don't know if it's the placebo affect and if the images really are that different to my 40D and 50mm f1.8, but I'm loving the combination. I don't know if it's a slightly different bokeh, DOF or what, but I'm really loving what is being produced. My little one is keeping me pretty busy at present, but I still have my 40D so will try and do some loose, completely unscientific shots for people to view in a couple of weeks.

The AF seems reasonable, it does struggle a little in low light, but then so did my 40D sometimes. In good light it's good, though I've not yet had a chance to try focusing on anything moving quickly.

In terms of the layout and functions coming from a 40D it's pretty seamless, initial it looks like to just does not have the 'landscape\portrait etc auto settings on the dial'. I'll admit that I don't tend to alter the camera settings too much, I pretty much set it to raw, stick it in AV, TV or manual and off we go.

I am going to try it with my 100-400 and see what I get, again when time allows and I'll report back. In the meantime here's a Robin taken at 400mm f5.6, slightly cropped and not too much else done to it.

Robin1.JPG

Al

Bah I've decided; I'm getting a 5d. Now to just wait 'til one pops up for sale that I want to buy :)

This camera is just so versatile, from landscapes to motorsport, here's a few from the Donnington Historic Festival.

5721859212_98b1965322.jpg

5721858924_7e2b9e6288.jpg

5721299829_facd46f8c7.jpg

very nice Dave... i have an almost identical lens collection as you.. i really love my F4 70-200, even though people harp on about needing F2.8! As a keen amateur i don't see it myself.

looks like you showed off some good panning skills there (y)

Back