Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

It's business as usual really :D It's just a camera.

I find that the sensor is prone to dust bunnies so a Rocket blower and the occasional wet clean come in handy. I tend to test and if necessary clean mine before going out for the day so that I know I'm at least starting with a clean sensor.

Other than that... wide lenses are wider and longer lenses aren't quite so long and as a result you may find yourself using slightly longer lenses at slightly smaller apertures than with APS-C. That's my experience anyway so I was prepared to boost the ISO up a little if required.

John wells said:
Evening all, I'm moving from 40d to the 5d, what I'm looking for are advice on things I might need to know?

I went from a 40D to 5D !..love the full frame sensor :). Being an EF only mount, I ended up having to get EF only lenses, so have a 50mm 1.8, so have a 24-105L, canon 85mm 1.8, tammy 90mm 2.8 macro lens, and a canon 100-300. Not into wide lenses yet. The Tele end was the big surprise, bot having the reach you had on the 40D, but the shallower depth of field makes up for it :)

I bought my 5Dc just a couple of weeks or so ago, and keep comparing the 5D with the 40D which I still have. I don't know whether it's just the placebo effect of having a new toy to play with but I love the feel of the 5D. It just feels a much nicer experience, the images are warmer as well as being sharper. I haven't really felt the screen as a big no either which I was kind of expecting having read so much about them.

I have to say as a side note, I also love the sound the shutter makes when you take an image too. No one warned me about that, it just sounds like a camera should sound :D (y)

Anyone have any experience with the Canon EF 28-70mm f3.5/4.5?

I've read a couple of reviews that it's a cracking oldie for the the 5Dc available at a great second hand price if you can find one.

thanks woof, leeboy and wibbly, I can agree the sound is rarer nice, I had started getting rid of the efs lenses so tat I'd have a good combination, so far it's the nifty on the 40d and the 24-105 on the 5d giving me what I ope o be a good combo.

IMG_0006_zps453110ba.jpg

Out for a walk today in Stirling (Scotland) and I spotted this. Canon 5D Mk1 - EF 50mm f/1.8 - j-peg - hand-held.

My trusty 5Dc is in transit after going into Canon to have the mirror fix done, hopefully will be with me Monday :)... ready for xmas day ! :)

leeboy22001 said:
My trusty 5Dc is in transit after going into Canon to have the mirror fix done, hopefully will be with me Monday :)... ready for xmas day ! :)

Hope you get it back in time :)

Thanks, i feel lost without it ! Even though i have an X10 and a GF3, the 5D just does the business with taking great shots of the kids on xmas day with my 85mm 1.8, and a trusty 50mm 1.8 :) you just know its going to hit focus, (because i know exactly where i want it focused on etc..) and fast !

Last edited:
i love my 5d still i must admit im having a huge itch now to change it tho after owning it nearly 5 years

i love my 5d still i must admit im having a huge itch now to change it tho after owning it nearly 5 years

Have been tempted myself ! :D... 5D arrived this morning, all fixed and working :clap: Canon did a great job with mirror fix and getting it back to me before xmas day (y)

Always nice to have your camera back.(y)

I'm very very tempted to buy the 5D in February.. will have around £670 to spend and I'm liking the idea of this. Not so sure what to make of the mirror falling off that I've been reading about though! Or where to buy and know I'm not getting ripped off :naughty:

toadstool said:
I'm very very tempted to buy the 5D in February.. will have around £670 to spend and I'm liking the idea of this. Not so sure what to make of the mirror falling off that I've been reading about though! Or where to buy and know I'm not getting ripped off :naughty:

If you buy from mbp photography you get 6 months warranty.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/

Last edited:
What do you need to do if it happens after 6 months? Send it away to Canon? Is it as common as it seems with the amount of posts I've read (not just on here) suggests? The last thing I want to do is lug around my old body just in case..

You could always look for one that's had the mirror fix done? There's a lot out there now that have. I believe you can tell quite easily if it has, there's two very small steel plates running down the side of the mirror where it fits into the plastic casing.

I believe later serial numbered 5's were better generally too… if you read back through this thread there's an awful lot of useful info here :)

Ok...

Got a 5d Mii...so do I keep the Mi (DC)...or my 50D...

Ive debated this for a while...and got given some advice from various people on here...and elsewhere...but one of those decisions Ill have to make...think Ill leave it until 2013...(lol)...

If I keep the Mi...Ill have the mirror fix done and sell the 50D...

If not...and decide to sell the 5D...do I get the mirror fix done before I sell...???

Guess thats my big question really...to mirror fix....or not to mirror fix...???

Thaks and a Happy New Year to anyone that drops a line of advice my way...!!!

STEVIER

Ok...

Got a 5d Mii...so do I keep the Mi (DC)...or my 50D...

Ive debated this for a while...and got given some advice from various people on here...and elsewhere...but one of those decisions Ill have to make...think Ill leave it until 2013...(lol)...

If I keep the Mi...Ill have the mirror fix done and sell the 50D...

If not...and decide to sell the 5D...do I get the mirror fix done before I sell...???

Guess thats my big question really...to mirror fix....or not to mirror fix...???

Thaks and a Happy New Year to anyone that drops a line of advice my way...!!!

STEVIER

I have mine for sale and also not sure if i "to mirror fix.....or not to mirror fix", will see if i can find a local buyer in my country[locally] then i will discuss with him about it.

If it helps, I'm considering a 5D and I'd feel much, much better about buying one if it'd had it done..

Once it's had it done, does that stop it from happening again?

If it helps, I'm considering a 5D and I'd feel much, much better about buying one if it'd had it done..

Certainly less chance of it happening...and I imagine if it does...that would have to sort it again...

We may have a cross purpose in 2013 then 'toadstool'...before you splash that much on one drop me a line...I've decided to send it off to have the fix done... Mine is VGC...will come boxed with a Canon BG-E4 Grip...and will be nowhere near the £600+ your thinking of paying...!!!

Ill drop you a message when it returns...

STEVIER

Mine was repaired recently by Canon CCI (free of charge repair), very good service. Paid for it to be sent in, used RMSD (about £7.50), and got it back within a week or so. Was cleaned and tested and all is ok :D. I think once its done it won't fall off again !

Hi...called Canon about my 5D Mark 1 for the mirror fix and how to go about organising it to be done...number from here...

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/Telephone_Numbers/telephone_numbers.aspx

I've just been told that the camera fix is only for mirrors that have fallen off...not ones that are working...

I told her wine looks a bit shaky...in my view...as I want this repair done...and was told that if it was sent back and nothing was wrong with it I would be liable for a charge...I complained and the manager said the same thing...I am awaiting the result of a complaints esculation (call back tonight)...as I explained

Anyone had a prob like this...who did you contact to get it sorted if mirror did not fall off...???

Anyone got any advice...I complained that if they did not fix it could damage the sensor...waiting to see what happens tonight...

Thanks

STEVIER

Evening all

Received my 5d last month, just tried to update the firmware from 1.0.1 to 1.1.1 and the screens gone black?

Trying a suggestion from luminous landscapes about leaving the battery out for a bit.

Does anyone know if this works or if there's anything else I can do that doesn't involve canon?

John

I'd contact Colchester cameras, i'd imagine they'd do mirror fix (free of charge) even if it hadn't gone yet, worth trying ?

Thanks...got a call back from them with a number to calll...hopefully sorted...

STEVIER

Anyone tried the 5Dc with the Magic Lantern software? Wondering if it adds to the magical 5D experience...

THE-BIG-MAN-SAYS said:
Thanks...got a call back from them with a number to calll...hopefully sorted...

STEVIER

Sounds promising :)

What canon don't appreciate is that when the mirror falls off, there is a change it could scratch the surface of the lens fitted of the rear element protudes ! I was lucky, and had no damage to my 85mm lens.

Last edited:
Exactly the point I made to them...If they say no...I want it in email...as Ill tell them that Im 'mitigating the risk' and taking the best course of action to reduce the risk of it happening to be As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP)...

STEVIER

Well having owned the 5Dc for a month or so I'm now considering moving on my gripped 40d. In truth it hasn't come out of the bag since I've had the 5.

I'm thinking I can re-invest in a cheap wide angle lens or maybe save for a 70-200mm.

I just have that little niggle at the back of my mind about selling it though!

I'm in the same position wibbly, have the 40 but thinking of putting it up for a swap for a 500d to have a play with video, I think the 5 will be used the most so the rebel body size appeals for travel purposes as well

I had a 40D before the 5D, decided to keep it for 6 months, if i didn't use it i'd sell it, and that's what i ended up doing ! Don't miss it, maybe for long distance photography where you miss the crop factor magnification, but don't shoot wildlife etc... So that's not a problem :)

I'm in the same position wibbly, have the 40 but thinking of putting it up for a swap for a 500d to have a play with video, I think the 5 will be used the most so the rebel body size appeals for travel purposes as well

I dabbled with video with a D300s a while ago, but just never used it. The iPhone suffices for all my video needs.

I had a 40D before the 5D, decided to keep it for 6 months, if i didn't use it i'd sell it, and that's what i ended up doing ! Don't miss it, maybe for long distance photography where you miss the crop factor magnification, but don't shoot wildlife etc... So that's not a problem :)

I'm in much the same boat, I fancy a wide angle lens. My widest prime is a 28mm. A short UWA lens would be interesting. (y)

not entirely sure but I suspect with a 4yr and 2 month old what ill miss is the burst speed, like I said not sure as yet as haven't really had the chance to play due to the little one, have sneaked out from work and done some landscapes and loving the 5d for that already.

hate the menu system though hence looked at magic lantern but not sure as to yet as to whether I want to take that risk

John

wibbly said:
I dabbled with video with a D300s a while ago, but just never used it. The iPhone suffices for all my video needs.

I'm in much the same boat, I fancy a wide angle lens. My widest prime is a 28mm. A short UWA lens would be interesting. (y)

the tokina 11-16 is supposed to be very good, just such a short range puts me off, as well as the cost

hate the menu system though hence looked at magic lantern but not sure as to yet as to whether I want to take that risk

John

Menu system doesn't really bother me too much, it is what it is. Magic Lantern concerns me if it doesn't work, and if I've read it right (which I may not have) it sits on your CF card, not the camera itself.

On the subject of keeping or selling little used APS-C cameras...

IMVHO one big weakness with the 5D is the lack of a pop up flash. Many people deride these and say that a speed light is better and ultimately they are but they also add cost, weight, bulk, hassle and attention grabbing obtrusiveness. I personally find a pop up flash very useful and I do struggle with the concept of not having one as all of my 35mm "full frame" SLR's had one, it's only FF DSLR's that seem not to have them.

Anyway, for that reason I wouldn't have a 5D as my only quality camera. I'd want a quality camera available to me which had a built in flash and would therefore also have an APS-C/CSC.

Last edited:
I don't have a 5D (yet!!) but I agree with woof woof... the one thing that "irks" me is the lack of pop up flash. I'm getting a 5D in the knowledge that it will, eventually, be my back up camera. When I first get it, my 500D will be my back up :D

Back