Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Hi all,

Just picked up a 'classic' from eBay.

Would you mind if I uploaded some files this week for people to have a look over. Not for photographic merit, but for image quality?

I've not really had a chance to play with it, and I can't decide whether or not I'm expecting too much or there's a problem with the focusing.

I've just sold a 20D to part fund it, so I know the limitations of cameras of this age.

I was going to bring it in to work with me tomorrow and go out at lunch time to have a proper play before I throw my toys out of the pram and start complaining. I took some shots this weekend when the conditions were far from ideal - but I know I would have got something usable with my 80D.

Forget that, it's actually really good.

It came bundled with a 50mm 1.8ii - which is woeful. It's the second of these lenses I've had and both have been poor.

Once I paired it with some better glass, it's performed really well.

Last edited:
It came bundled with a 50mm 1.8ii - which is woeful. It's the second of these lenses I've had and both have been poor.
You must have been unlucky. I found that the 50/1.8 I had for my 5D was as nice as any 50 I've ever used and my sample size is probably around 50 lenses! :giggle:

You must have been unlucky. I found that the 50/1.8 I had for my 5D was as nice as any 50 I've ever used and my sample size is probably around 50 lenses! :giggle:

The original one I had was new when I bought it and I was really pleased with it at first. But it just seemed to lose the ability to focus on anything, As it was mine from new, I know it wasn't dropped or damaged.

The one that came bundled, obviously I don't know it's history, but the chromatic aberration is the worst I've ever experienced and it was back focusing quite dramatically.

Just bought the 50mm 1.8 STM and it's soooo much better.

My plan is to part-ex the ii against a 40mm 2.8 STM from MPB.

Back