Canon 5D mk II official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D2

Afternoon all, well i feel like a dog with two wotsits as i have recieved my 5d mk2 and now a member of the full frame club :crowded::woot::banana: Now waiting my cards and a bit of reading.:thumbsdown:

Hi chaps, not sure if there is a dedicated forum for memory cards but here goes ... I have a new Sandisk 8gb card (used it a couple of times only so know it works, anyway today it wont mount on my iMac - using a card reader or through the usb cable (I've also tried a second card reader) - it seems OK in camera ie (I'm not sure if there's a better way of doing this) but the camera is not saying "No card" and if I go to menu\format there is something on the card ... if it won't mount surely I can't even use 'RescuePro' - Disk Utility doesn't even see it.

The shots aren't terribly important just loads of tests (I'm new to the 5D Mk II) so I'd like to get them off the card ... any thiughts please.

Roger

This is weird - I just stuck the card (in a reader) into my Macbook Pro and it isn't recognised but when I put it into my iPad IT WAS - what is going on ? ... I guess I'll need to find someone with a PC and try it there !

Roger

Afternoon all, well i feel like a dog with two wotsits as i have recieved my 5d mk2 and now a member of the full frame club :crowded::woot::banana: Now waiting my cards and a bit of reading.:thumbsdown:

Welcome to the FF club. Enjoy.

Rogertb

How did you format the card? This might be why?
It's always best to do it in camera rather than on a PC or Mac

another sucking eggs point is to not delete shots off a card but format after you've downloaded them.

Let us know how you get on.

My girlfriend has a macbook pro and she sometimes has the same problem...

The way I would fix it would be plug it into my computer. format the card and then put it in the mac.

Sometimes it is the devices drivers which aren't working and can mean you have to uninstall the device and then plug it in. I have done it before when I put my card reader into my computer then cut the internet half way through the download.

Thanks Adrian and Mathew - yes it was formatted in-camera but I did remove the disc from the reader once without 'unmounting' it from the desktop, this has never caused a problem before but maybe it did some damage this time. As I mentioned bizarrely I could read this card on my iPad bizarre because why should an ipad recognise it and not a iMac ! - anyway I was then able to transfer the shots into iPhoto and, would you believe, they retain their size and their RAW file type ... very useful when on the road. I'll return the card to Amazon as it's only a few weeks old.

Roger

Took the plunge today and ordered a 5D mkii from HDEW. I really wanted a mk iii but can't really paying the price of 2 mkii's for a camera. I'll hopefully have some fun with it, and in a year or so if the mkiii is more affordable I'll maybe upgrade. Hope I'm doing the right thing :-/

jimgallaher said:
Took the plunge today and ordered a 5D mkii from HDEW. I really wanted a mk iii but can't really paying the price of 2 mkii's for a camera. I'll hopefully have some fun with it, and in a year or so if the mkiii is more affordable I'll maybe upgrade. Hope I'm doing the right thing :-/

One other thing, I've read different reviews about the 5d mkii video capabilities, some say 1080p at 30fps whereas others say it'll do 24 and 25fps as well, any mkii users here who can enlighten me ?

Just in case anyone is watching my comments ref. a dodgy CF card - after literally hours of grief and testing everything it was in fact TWO dodgy card readers ... a lesson learnt !

Roger

I'm just processing some shots from last night, and for me this illustrates just how wonderfully good the 5DII is.
And why the 5DIII is struggling to do better!

Conditions were horrendous; very few cameras could have pulled this off.
5DII plus 70-200 f4 IS L and 1.4TC II
ISO 6400 (higher than I will normally go for a shot like this), f5.6 (wide as it will go), 280mm (fully zoomed) and hand held at 1/160s :eek: (IS was earning it's keep).
i-qCbZrgq-X3.jpg

Here's the 100% crop - I'm astonished how good this is considering EVERYTHING was against getting decent image quality. :shrug:
Noise reduction is just the LR4 defaults.
i-xxF8M7K-X3.jpg

And the other thing that I'm amazed at is that the sensor has managed this despite red spotlighting!!
This is the unmodified original.
White balance was set to TUNGSTEN :eek:
i-mdXTLGG-M.jpg

I'm just processing some shots from last night, and for me this illustrates just how wonderfully good the 5DII is.
And why the 5DIII is struggling to do better!

Conditions were horrendous; very few cameras could have pulled this off.
5DII plus 70-200 f4 IS L and 1.4TC II
ISO 6400 (higher than I will normally go for a shot like this), f5.6 (wide as it will go), 280mm (fully zoomed) and hand held at 1/160s :eek: (IS was earning it's keep).

<snip>

Here's the 100% crop - I'm astonished how good this is considering EVERYTHING was against getting decent image quality. :shrug:
Noise reduction is just the LR4 defaults.

<snip>

And the other thing that I'm amazed at is that the sensor has managed this despite red spotlighting!!
This is the unmodified original.
White balance was set to TUNGSTEN :eek:

<snip>

Yes, that's pretty good. I have had similar shooting a school play.

But with respect to you Duncs, that is exactly the area where we should find the 5D3 to do better - if claims of two stops improved high ISO performance are realised. And if Chuck Westfall says that's what it is, then I believe him - it should be possible from the new sensor/processor specs.

At more normal ISOs, I don't expect we'll see that much improvement, apart from hopefully a bit more shadow detail. But on top of that, the 5D3 has better AF, faster shooting rate, and a large number of operational improvements. Much as I love my 5D2, I'll be getting a Mark 3 once the prices have settled.

Yes, that's pretty good. I have had similar shooting a school play.

But with respect to you Duncs, that is exactly the area where we should find the 5D3 to do better - if claims of two stops improved high ISO performance are realised. And if Chuck Westfall says that's what it is, then I believe him - it should be possible from the new sensor/processor specs.

At more normal ISOs, I don't expect we'll see that much improvement, apart from hopefully a bit more shadow detail. But on top of that, the 5D3 has better AF, faster shooting rate, and a large number of operational improvements. Much as I love my 5D2, I'll be getting a Mark 3 once the prices have settled.

LOL - you are right.
But, even in these extreme conditions I doubt the 5DIII would make a significant difference to an A3 print; the noise level is very tolerable.

In terms of IQ, the 5DII still cuts the mustard with the best of em.
But I confess that I do lust after the new focussing system......

DuncanDisorderly said:
But I confess that I do lust after the new focussing system..

I've never had any faults with my 5D MKII but I can't deny that the AF points aren't tempting! The 5D MKIII has that feature where you can manually scroll thru the AF points to focus on specific areas within the frame. Amazing. I don't suppose the 5D MKII has something similar? A girl can dream :}!

How do you mean?

You can scroll through the 9 points on the 5d and 5d2 to select the active point.

I shoot lots of low light stuff and my 5d2's focus is truly pants. I'm looking forward to getting to grips with the new system, I gave it some testing at focus and was pretty impressed, especially now that the servo mode is worth having !

I don't know if I'm kidding myself but I half expected the new prices for a mkII to drop to about £1k
It seems the mkiii has been priced in such a different bracket the mkII prices aren't affected.
I'm getting a bit desperate for an upgrade to my 450d and can't hold out much longer for a mkII
I'm starting to set my sights a bit lower at a 7d.

Does anyone expect the mkII prices to drop anytime soon?
Thoughts REALLY appreciated.

There are quite a few used 5DII's coming onto the market - be interesting to see what effect that has on prices of both new and used 5DIIs.

I don't know if I'm kidding myself but I half expected the new prices for a mkII to drop to about £1k
It seems the mkiii has been priced in such a different bracket the mkII prices aren't affected.

Strangely price is going up instead of down looking at http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod726.html. I will give a month or two to see prices shifting down.

seems that I bought my mint used 5D MK II at the perfect time (a week before the 5D MK III release)...

I've just bought a 5D2 from HDEW for £1349 delivered. I really was thinking about a mkiii but at more than the cost of a mkii I couldn't really justify it. I've wanted a mkii for along time, but the prices haven't really moved, so I went for it. I'll have a year or so of fun with it and maybe the mkiii will be more affordable.

@digitalfailure I never knew that I could scroll thru the AF points on the MKII! I'll have a flick thru the manual tmrw evening & try spot how to do so cheers.

Canon Tim said:
I'm getting a bit desperate for an upgrade to my 450d and can't hold out much longer for a mkII

I hear the 7D replacement will be announced soon! Although u can get the 7D @ HDEWCAMERAS for £850 and that is a stunning price for a lot of camera.

I would consider the s/h prices to have dropped, they have on here, so why not go for a well looked after example..

You can buy a decent s/h 5Dmk2 for about a £100 more than the new price of a uk supplied 7D, or you could even get a 7D import for £780 inc from a trusted Far Eastern supplier with a return to UK base.

I can't say i've had any issues with the 5D mk2 autofocus, i moved from a 50D which had very good AF and it's no slower than that, i really dont know where the poor AF ideas came from, maybe they were expecting 1D or 7D performance? :shrug:

As I will not be able to afford the new 5DMk3, I am hoping to pick up a new 5DMk2 when the prices drop a little further.

One of my good friends already has a 5DMk2 but has a lot of problems with dust and other stuff on his sensor, having to get it cleaned often.

This is putting me off slightly, is it a common problem?

Thanks

Chris

I've had my 5d2 for ages and haven't suffered with dust, I can shoot at f16 and above without seeing bunnies.

Common sense when the lens is off will help prevent dust ingress, anything that does get in can usually be removed by the sensor cleaner system.

As I will not be able to afford the new 5DMk3, I am hoping to pick up a new 5DMk2 when the prices drop a little further.

One of my good friends already has a 5DMk2 but has a lot of problems with dust and other stuff on his sensor, having to get it cleaned often.

Thanks

Chris

Is he into urbex ?

@Nogbad Regarding having to clean the sensor, I'm not sure what's caused your friends dirty sensor but I've never experienced those problems in the eighteen months I've had my 5D MKII.

I am in the midst of selling all my crop gear and other stuff to make way for a
5D mkII.

I've been hankering after full frame for a while and think it will suite my shooting style of Landscapes and Portraiture.

I don't think I'm going to miss anything that the 50D has, so now its just a case of get rid of the last of my gear at the start of May then watch the classifieds.

Is there anything I need to know about the 5D mkII that I don't already know from the 50D?

Thanks

Chris

No. All interchangeable lens cameras suffer with a bit of dust now and then. A rocket blower is usually all you need, and avoid high f/numbers especially with areas of plain tone like skies, that show up dust.

I am in the midst of selling all my crop gear and other stuff to make way for a
5D mkII.

I've been hankering after full frame for a while and think it will suite my shooting style of Landscapes and Portraiture.

I don't think I'm going to miss anything that the 50D has, so now its just a case of get rid of the last of my gear at the start of May then watch the classifieds.

Is there anything I need to know about the 5D mkII that I don't already know from the 50D?
I've just did just that, got rid of all my crop gear and bought a 5D mk2, I've owned a 5D for a few months now and the IQ just bew me away, my 600D was a great camera but the pics with the 5D are something else. I've only had my mk2 for a few days and to be honest I haven't had a chance to do more than a few test shots and a couple of videos, but first impressions particularly with low light shots are really good. Looking forward to giving it a good "workout" over the next few days.

Does anyone expect the mkII prices to drop anytime soon?
Thoughts REALLY appreciated.

Tim,

I am in exactly the same boat, I do like my 450D but the low light is not brilliant. I keep watching Amazon etc for 5DMk2 price drops but also Canon rumours for the new 650d and 7DMk2. They can't come quick enough as I am off to Skye in June and want some new kit to take with me.

Here's hoping we can both get some new kit soon.

Chris

Tim,

I am in exactly the same boat, I do like my 450D but the low light is not brilliant. I keep watching Amazon etc for 5DMk2 price drops but also Canon rumours for the new 650d and 7DMk2. They can't come quick enough as I am off to Skye in June and want some new kit to take with me.

Here's hoping we can both get some new kit soon.

Chris

HDEW have got it for £1,340. Plenty of info on the grey import debate on other threads.
I have been tempted by this, the only thing that has caused me to hang fire is that the main outlets in the US have started knocking the price of the II down so i'm wondering if the big boys will follow suit here.

I bought mine from HDEW for £1349.99 delivered. Came boxed with all bits and pieces, the 3 year warranty card has a unique number printed on it. Apparently they use an accredited Canon service centre. I saved £300 from not buying from WEX plus I gt 3 years warranty. The £300 went 3/4 of the way towards a mint used 17-40mm F4 L so I'm well cuffed all round :)

I bought mine from HDEW for £1349.99 delivered. Came boxed with all bits and pieces, the 3 year warranty card has a unique number printed on it. Apparently they use an accredited Canon service centre. I saved £300 from not buying from WEX plus I gt 3 years warranty. The £300 went 3/4 of the way towards a mint used 17-40mm F4 L so I'm well cuffed all round :)
A very enticing price, Jim. No doubt.

Not to trump that, but have a look at misfuds. I got my used but mint condition (4000 actuations) mk ii for £1220 with box etc. Been working great!

To a previous poster, I came from the lighting fast focusing of the 7D to the mk ii and there is a small difference in focusing speed and reliability. Not one that I notice a whole lot saying that... Coming from the 50d before that which seemed to roam for focus a lot!

I have a question for experienced 5D MKII shooters if you don't mind advising me.

Can you scroll thru the AF points on the 5D MKII like the MKIII? Someone mentioned that you can & I was wondering if someone could talk me thru how to get it set up & do so?

Cheers in advance!

Back