Canon 5D mk II official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D2

It didn't really offer that much more (to me) for the price difference. I was lucky enough to able to return it after a few weeks use and get my money back (thank you John Lewis) and also didn't lose too much between selling the old mk2 and buying a new one. I spent the money saved on more glass.

Well I'm thinking of getting rid of my 5D2 because I am very very disappointed in it ! I already own a 1D3 and I seem to be getting better pictures with it, my 5 just seems so hit and miss ?

Ruffy said:
Well I'm thinking of getting rid of my 5D2 because I am very very disappointed in it ! I already own a 1D3 and I seem to be getting better pictures with it, my 5 just seems so hit and miss ?

Why do you feel disappointed in it? I've just recently purchased one, with approx 4000 actuations, I've used it at a party today and it seems to produce excellent quality images. I would say that the IQ is very similar to that of a 5D3. I must add that I have upgraded from a 550D.

It is in fact IQ and AF, both are very poor !!!

I'm starting to think there maybe something wrong with it having read everyone else's views ??

It is in fact IQ and AF, both are very poor !!!

I'm starting to think there maybe something wrong with it having read everyone else's views ??

IQ is pretty close apparently, especially in the lower ISO's but the big selling point of the MKIII is its advance AF system so maybe yours was faulty or you just didn't give it time.

the big selling point of the MKIII is its advance AF system so maybe yours was faulty or you just didn't give it time.

The primary reason I have saved for a 5d3 is the AF system - couldn't work with the 5d2 system so the II it is!

Oooops, just blew some of my 5d3 savings on a 24-70mm F2.8. Guess I'm hitting the CC with the rest then...

Can't let this thread dissapear can we :)

I'm loving my 5D2.
It is perfect for the landscapes and portraits that I shoot. I'm glad I bit the bullit and made the upgrade/investment.

Any tips on how best to sell my 5D MKII? I want to upgrade to the MKIII, my 5D MKII is still in great condition and has a very low shutter count of around 7000. Ebay fees are higher than they used to be, but is it still worth it? Any tips or info welcome.

Cheers

Any tips on how best to sell my 5D MKII? I want to upgrade to the MKIII, my 5D MKII is still in great condition and has a very low shutter count of around 7000. Ebay fees are higher than they used to be, but is it still worth it? Any tips or info welcome.

Cheers

You could try posting it for sale on AVForums. I dont think they have a minimum post limit (i could be wrong though).
Its a good site, although the Photo section is a bit slow these days.

Cheers

Try PreLoved. I sold a lens on there for zero fees and got a good price. Usual warnings apply!

Thanks for the tips about Preloved and AVforums I will give them a go!

Post it in the classified section here ?
If its in excellent condition & a sensible price - I might be have it :)

Thanks for your post but I do not qualify to post in the qualified section as I have not been a member for long enough and do not have enough postings. Hoever, good news is that I sold it on Preloved. It was in excellent condition.

I have ordered the 5D MKIII from HDEW cameras! Excited!

Thanks for your post but I do not qualify to post in the qualified section as I have not been a member for long enough and do not have enough postings. Hoever, good news is that I sold it on Preloved. It was in excellent condition.

I have ordered the 5D MKIII from HDEW cameras! Excited!

Out of curiosity how much did it go for on Preloved ? I have mine on Gumtree, I want to move it on before I buy a mkIII as I've already got 6 cameras, can't justify one more !

Post it in the classified section here ?
If its in excellent condition & a sensible price - I might be have it :)

What do you call a sensible price ? My mkII is mint with only 645 actuations, have it on Gumtree at the moment.

Just wonder how many 5D MKII users actually have and use the Battery Grip? I have one but have only used it a handful of times - both at weddings where I did not want to risk running out of "juice" at the least opportune moment, and because it is so handy for portrait orientation with the shutter button on the top.

I often thought I would sell it though as it is just taking up space and I can see I really do not need it. Well now that I have sold my 5D MKII I really do not need it, sadly the guy who bought it did not want it. Any ideas? I do not think it will fit the 5D MKIII.

Just wonder how many 5D MKII users actually have and use the Battery Grip? I have one but have only used it a handful of times - both at weddings where I did not want to risk running out of "juice" at the least opportune moment, and because it is so handy for portrait orientation with the shutter button on the top.

I often thought I would sell it though as it is just taking up space and I can see I really do not need it. Well now that I have sold my 5D MKII I really do not need it, sadly the guy who bought it did not want it. Any ideas? I do not think it will fit the 5D MKIII.

It's a constant dilemma I have - I've got the BG-E6 and I can never decide whether to have it on the camera or not, as it makes the camera heavier and often draws more attention to it than I want....

I've taken it off for now - but can't quite bring myself to sell it - still unsure whether to use it or not.

As for your scenario - sell it - Canon rarely make a grip that works with more than one model of camera mores the pity :(

Cheers,

Matt

It's a constant dilemma -
I've taken it off for now - but can't quite bring myself to sell it - still unsure whether to use it or not.

As for your scenario - sell it - Canon rarely make a grip that works with more than one model of camera mores the pity :(
I think we are not alone in the dilemma! I decided not to buy the Battery Grip for the 5D3. And as the BG-E6 won't fit it I will definitely have to sell it.

I haven't got one, so far I haven't managed to fully run down a battery in the 5D2 in one day as they last so long!

Last edited:
I used to get great battery life as well, but taking amcros and using live view all the time doesn't half impact battery life hard. I'm going to keep my eyes on the classifieds for a grip!

As it's so quiet in here here are a few recent photo's using the 5d2 and trying out the new tripod.

A little closer

8896568328_a10917a3ca_b.jpg

I love this one, just keeps grabbing my eye. :)
Looks like I will have to give macro photography a closer look. :LOL:

Thanks Ruffy. I used my Canon 100L macro. Had a couple of extension tubes on as well, but fitting what I wanted in the frame meant I never got quite as close as the 1:1 marker on the lens.

You're right about the tripod bring very useful. Its made a big difference, and although I'm just getting used to it I'm glad I got it at last.

Being a relative new-comer on here I didn't realise we had a dedicated thread :)

IMG_2455 by R.Clark93, on Flickr

i made the leap from the 7d to the 5d mk ii for the noise performance. i love it best thing i ever did. i dont shot many fast moving subjects so it seemed the 7d's awesome focusing system was being wasted. i have seen alot of people slagging the mk ii off on the forum over last couple of days mostly due to its focusing system. i don't have a problem with. but some people are disappointed by it. anyway here is a shot from me. to try to kick of the thread again :) Also love the The 1976 vs 2005 Project with your boy.

IMG_0088 by R.Clark93, on Flickr

Last edited:
Your cat's not that different from one of mine. :)

oh yeah your right. the white one almost looks like hes smiling :) awesome photos SUPER sharp i would love a 24-70 but my brain says yes but my bank account says no :LOL: another snap of the cat. love this 70-200 F4 so sharp, a lot of glass for a little amount of money

IMG_0203 by R.Clark93, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's another nice photo. Can I see a bit of the 'angry eyes' in the 2nd one. :)

I had uhm'd and aah'd over a 70-200 for ages, then when I could get one I blew the extra and went for the 24-70 instead. :bonk:. It does seem happier on the 5d2 than it was on the 7d.

That's another nice photo. Can I see a bit of the 'angry eyes' in the 2nd one. :)

I had uhm'd and aah'd over a 70-200 for ages, then when I could get one I blew the extra and went for the 24-70 instead. :bonk:. It does seem happier on the 5d2 than it was on the 7d.

yeah he does seem a bit grumpy in that photo, but yeah good choice on the 24-70. the 24-105 does me fine for now. but if and when i upgrade. the 24-70 will be on the top of my list

Back