Canon 5D mk II official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D2

And a couple from me!

8998780401_d5b606bd06_b.jpg
[/url]
Something like Dali by TravellingCello, on Flickr[/IMG]

9000037918_a1172323d7_b.jpg
[/url]
Calm before the storm by TravellingCello, on Flickr[/IMG]

I joined you all in 5D2 ownership today! I’ve just received my second hand 5D2 (bought from the classifieds on here) as an upgrade from my Nikon D7000. I’m still awaiting a lens for the camera that comes on saturday so I’m sure I’ll have some photos up on the weekend. Having used a 5D2 before I know what I can expect and it’s an awesome camera, and I’m hoping that I can produce some lovely images with it. Look out for my work in the future for some full frame goodness ;)

If anyone is thinking of getting a WFT-E4II (Must be a II) wireless file transmitter - I've put together a guide of how you can relatively cheaply connect your 5d2 to a GPS logger, and have instant GPS co-ordinates embedded in your camera RAW files. Once you know how it's pretty easy. While connected to GPS you can still transmit photos (for example to an Iphone) - WFT-E4II's are going on Ebay for around £300 when they go to auction - so well worth keeping an eye out for... Here's the guide.

I joined you all in 5D2 ownership today! I’ve just received my second hand 5D2 (bought from the classifieds on here) as an upgrade from my Nikon D7000. I’m still awaiting a lens for the camera that comes on saturday so I’m sure I’ll have some photos up on the weekend. Having used a 5D2 before I know what I can expect and it’s an awesome camera, and I’m hoping that I can produce some lovely images with it. Look out for my work in the future for some full frame goodness ;)

Welcome (back) to the club!

Out of interest, what made you move from Nikon rather than upgrading to a better Nikon?

Out of interest, what made you move from Nikon rather than upgrading to a better Nikon?
I came from D3100. Main reason is that I could not get the ergonomics of Nikons. Nikon places your thumb straight up on their rear command dial, this placement doesn't seem right and gives me a cramp trying to hold the camera tighter with the thumb tense up.

Another thing is that only D700 was in my budget mid-last year, but it can't do HD video. Because I don't have any full frame lenses, might as well change to a brand I like better.

Well, the main one is that someone I know who I go shooting with regularly has one and he has a fair few L lenses, so he said that I could lend his lenses if I had a Canon. Secondly, I’ve used his 5D2 before and absolutely loved it, the ergonomics of the camera were better than my Nikon and I just loved the images, so it was a safe choice in a way, because I knew I definitely liked it. And thirdly, there are some more accessible L lenses price wise than Nikon’s pro range, so that suited me with having limited funds.

All in all I’m really happy, I don’t think I’d go back to Nikon, I always said that once I was past crop bodies I’d go to Canon because I love their L lens range and the bodies themselves, I didn’t move to Canon sooner due to Canon’s frankly shoddy amateur range compared to the Nikons - for instance, I went for the D7000 over the 60D, as it is far superior, D5100 over 600D etc.

Guys a quick question i have the money save for either a 5d2 with a very low shutter or a new 6d anybody care to give me some guidance i shoot mainly natural light portraits and studio and would be upgrading from a 5 d mk1

5D 2 gives you the same controls as 5D 1, but with better sensor.

But 6D has even better sensor. However, problem I have found with 6D is that it doesn't have the joystick anymore and that you can't adjust flash exposure easily.

In summery, for natural light high ISO and/or landscape, I'd go with 6D. for studio, I'd go with 5D 2.

thanks wuyanxu sorry to put you on the spot my studio is next door to where i do natural light (boudoir) phtography would you suggest the 6d as the more all round camera as its newer?

How often do you adjust flash exposure compensation? Since if you studio use remote triggers and you use manual setting on flashes, then this lack of easy adjusting flash exp comp isn't an issue. I use on-camera flash a lot and rely on TTL metering, so lack of flash exp comp bothers me.

I'd lean towards 6D for better natural light and unbeatable centre AF point.

thank you very much for your opinion think im going to order the 6d mate appreciate your help

Hi guys,
Thought I'd join the club!!
Just purchased my 5D mkii from park cameras, it was in MINT condition and only had 5000 actuations, I paid £800 for it and am absolutely over the moon.
I came from a 50D but will keep the 50D for the crop factor :)

I used one a couple of years back and fell in love straight away but funds wouldn't allow me to upgrade until recently.
It was a choice between a MKiii and this but I'm sure I made the right choice in my mind.

Last edited:
I’m still absolutely loving the 5D2 two months on, to make things even better, I’ve paired it with a 70-200 F2.8L finally (something I’ve had planned for a good while). I think I’m on the road to recovery lens wise after the jump from a crop Nikon body.

Here’s one using the 5D2 and 70-200 F2.8L combo from a trip to the Yorkshire Dales a few days ago-

Yorkshire Sheep by Niall97, on Flickr

Last edited:
I’m still absolutely loving the 5D2 two months on, to make things even better, I’ve paired it with a 70-200 F2.8L finally (something I’ve had planned for a good while). I think I’m on the road to recovery lens wise after the jump from a crop Nikon body.

Here’s one using the 5D2 and 70-200 F2.8L combo from a trip to the Yorkshire Dales a few days ago-

Yorkshire Sheep
by Niall97, on Flickr
Nice, did you do anything to get the sheeps attention?

Here's a shot that I took just before Christmas of "The Seed" in the Eden Centre.

2013-12-19%20at%2012-41-32.jpg

I've just joined the 5D2 club, also picked up a Canon 20-35mm f2.8L and 135mm f2L.

I'm going to have a good nosey back through this thread, but for laziness are there any recommended resources online for the 5D2, tips, hints, whatever?

Ive just joined you guys now :D

Only had a bit of a play over the weekend but installed Magic Lantern too as a friend uses it..

Anyone else use it too..? I was thinking of using it as and when, instead of all the time..

Ive just joined you guys now :D

Only had a bit of a play over the weekend but installed Magic Lantern too as a friend uses it..

Anyone else use it too..? I was thinking of using it as and when, instead of all the time..

Ben

I don't use ML but welcome to the 5D Mk II club! Awesome camera and whilst not the most up to date it is still a great piece of kit. :)

Not redundant Jon but fair to say, very quiet!!

Welcome to the club - great camera.

Welcome! I'm still enjoying mine.

Although a huge improvement over my 40D, it still blows me away what I can get away with using the FF

just about to join just got a faulty unit which is getting repaired by canon nxt wk :)
hopefully will do me until saved more funds to get the MkIII then the 5Dc & 7D can go :)

I dont think I'll be losing the 7D to be honest. I'm sure the 5D2 will become my first choice camera as I do a lot of landscape and cityscape shots, but I do take sports from time to time and it's probably slightly better for that

Im a new member of about 3 months now and upgraded from a 50d for better iso range and so far i have not been disappointed. And im loving the ff for landscapes.

Back