Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Had a pic from my 5d mkiii published by The Guardian this week - it's not ideal as a remote camera behind the goal as the frame rate isn't quite high enough, but this goal was scored from inches out and I got a couple of frames from it - the pic was also back page of the local paper on the Monday after the game back in February.

Back of the net
by David Young, on Flickr

I also bought a battery grip for it this week to celebrate eight years of owning it - got a Neewer one (actually very good on initial use) second hand for £13 from Amazon and it's made a difference to me going on my daily walk with the 5d mkiii and 100-400 as it seems to balance better. Hopefully this lockdown will be over in time for me to photograph pro golf in the Autumn, that's where I really love the 5D mkiii - the silent shutter is quiet enough that I can take pics from reasonably close to a player without getting the death stare from a caddie that my 1dx would attract.

Edit My Images
Yes
Couple of questions:

1. What is the largest sized CF card I can use in my 5D Mk3?
2. What is the fastest CF card currently available that will work with the 5D Mk3?

Thanks

LC2

Negan
Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Couple of questions:

1. What is the largest sized CF card I can use in my 5D Mk3?
2. What is the fastest CF card currently available that will work with the 5D Mk3?

Thanks
1. I'm using 32GB CF with no issues. I doubt there is a size limitation, but I tend to use smaller cards just in case of corruption
2. I think the limitation will be the write speed of the 5D3 rather than the card. According to Magic Lantern, the CF slot maxs out at 133x, so there is little benefit buying faster.

Canon verified info at:

ETA: The 133x is for SD, not CF, sorry. CF will be faster.

Last edited:

LC2

Negan
Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I think I've made a mistake selling my 5D MK3 to MPB in nearly new condition for £730!

Cobra

Mr. Floyd
Staff member
Name
Phitt, Hissy Phitt
Edit My Images
No
EyUj.gif

Thread tided and some posts removed.
If you would like to re-iterate your posts, without the insults and personal attacks that's fine (y)

Reactions: LC2
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks all, I have the information I was after now.

My only concern about the 5DMkIII I have is its weight.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks all, I have the information I was after now.

My only concern about the 5DMkIII I have is its weight.
Tbh from what I can gather although the actual weight of the body is more than a mirrorless, by the time you’ve stuck a lens on you don’t really notice so much of a difference in weight between the two. But I guess it depends on what lens you use, it will be more noticeable with let’s say a nifty fifty than if you stick a 70-200 on the end of it. I’m thinking of switching to an r6 from my 5d3 but weight isn’t really a consideration, it’s a lovely thing to hold onto.