Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Had a pic from my 5d mkiii published by The Guardian this week - it's not ideal as a remote camera behind the goal as the frame rate isn't quite high enough, but this goal was scored from inches out and I got a couple of frames from it - the pic was also back page of the local paper on the Monday after the game back in February.

Back of the net
by David Young, on Flickr

I also bought a battery grip for it this week to celebrate eight years of owning it - got a Neewer one (actually very good on initial use) second hand for £13 from Amazon and it's made a difference to me going on my daily walk with the 5d mkiii and 100-400 as it seems to balance better. Hopefully this lockdown will be over in time for me to photograph pro golf in the Autumn, that's where I really love the 5D mkiii - the silent shutter is quiet enough that I can take pics from reasonably close to a player without getting the death stare from a caddie that my 1dx would attract.

Couple of questions:

1. What is the largest sized CF card I can use in my 5D Mk3?
2. What is the fastest CF card currently available that will work with the 5D Mk3?

Thanks

Couple of questions:

1. What is the largest sized CF card I can use in my 5D Mk3?
2. What is the fastest CF card currently available that will work with the 5D Mk3?

Thanks
1. I'm using 32GB CF with no issues. I doubt there is a size limitation, but I tend to use smaller cards just in case of corruption
2. I think the limitation will be the write speed of the 5D3 rather than the card. According to Magic Lantern, the CF slot maxs out at 133x, so there is little benefit buying faster.

Canon verified info at:

ETA: The 133x is for SD, not CF, sorry. CF will be faster.

Last edited:
I think I've made a mistake selling my 5D MK3 to MPB in nearly new condition for £730!

EyUj.gif

Thread tided and some posts removed.
If you would like to re-iterate your posts, without the insults and personal attacks that's fine (y)

Reactions: LC2
Thanks all, I have the information I was after now.

My only concern about the 5DMkIII I have is its weight.

Thanks all, I have the information I was after now.

Tbh from what I can gather although the actual weight of the body is more than a mirrorless, by the time you’ve stuck a lens on you don’t really notice so much of a difference in weight between the two. But I guess it depends on what lens you use, it will be more noticeable with let’s say a nifty fifty than if you stick a 70-200 on the end of it. I’m thinking of switching to an r6 from my 5d3 but weight isn’t really a consideration, it’s a lovely thing to hold onto.

I had the same concerns. Therefore I added a battery grip, charged with two batteries. :D

I had the same concerns. Therefore I added a battery grip, charged with two batteries. :D

Yes me too, only because I have hands like JCB front buckets :D

Does anyone know if AI Servo on the 5DIV is more sure-footed than on the 5DIII or is it pretty similar in terms of % of out of focus shots? Thinking of getting a 5DIV but if AI-Servo is no better than on the 5DIII it might not make sense for me.

Canon 5DIII and EF 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 L IS USM using AI Servo;:

20210808_091803_109 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

I've had both and I remember the mark iv being better. I found a video with test results here
View: https://youtu.be/4JIBlnQiW7c
switch on subtitles and translation for english
Thanks for the link.
It would be a shame if the Mark IV didn't do anything better. But it's too little for me to want to switch to the Mark IV. :)

My Canon 5D Mk3 not powering on!

Last night I left my 5D powered (by mistake). When I picked my camera up this morning the LCD was still displaying as I'd previously disabled the auto power off. I made some changes to some setting e.g. assigning the AF point to the multi-controller. All worked fine and I took a few shots before I noticed the battery was showing low. So, I removed the battery and replaced it with a fully charged one - since that point, my 5D no longer powers on! I've tried replacing the battery with another fully charged, also removing and reinserting the memory cards and removing and reattaching the lens but still the 5D won't switch on :(

Any suggestions?

John

My Canon 5D Mk3 not powering on!

Last night I left my 5D powered (by mistake). When I picked my camera up this morning the LCD was still displaying as I'd previously disabled the auto power off. I made some changes to some setting e.g. assigning the AF point to the multi-controller. All worked fine and I took a few shots before I noticed the battery was showing low. So, I removed the battery and replaced it with a fully charged one - since that point, my 5D no longer powers on! I've tried replacing the battery with another fully charged, also removing and reinserting the memory cards and removing and reattaching the lens but still the 5D won't switch on :(

Any suggestions?

John
It may be worth looking at the battery door possibly, i know it wont switch on if it doesnt detect it is closed properly. I have had this issue in the past myself.

Thanks for the reply todders,.

Since posting here I've watched quite a few YT videos and tried all the suggestions without success :( My guess is that it's not booting up due to the very low battery when I was changing settings! Just a guess. Checked the door and the 'plunger switch'.

I've presently taken the battery out and left the camera switched on as suggested in one of the videos - no sign of life atm :(

I think I need an expert - maybe Canon repair!!

Thanks for the reply todders,.

Since posting here I've watched quite a few YT videos and tried all the suggestions without success :( My guess is that it's not booting up due to the very low battery when I was changing settings! Just a guess. Checked the door and the 'plunger switch'.

I've presently taken the battery out and left the camera switched on as suggested in one of the videos - no sign of life atm :(

I think I need an expert - maybe Canon repair!!
It's frustrating to say the least especially as it was working fine before. Looks like as you say off to canon for repair. :-(

It's frustrating to say the least especially as it was working fine before. Looks like as you say off to canon for repair. :-(
Well, I spent most of the day searching Youtube for a solution, there were quite a few 'solutions' and I just waded through all of them! I was getting rather disheartened and even started looking for an alternative camera to purchase, then I got a shock at the cost of purchasing a full-frame DSLR and it would need to be Canon as I've accumulated a lot of accessories. I also researched getting it back to Canon for repair but found the Canon website equally frustrating! Then, I found the solution :) :) :)

Canon EOS 5D MK3 Won't Turn On
The likely reason is the recently charged battery is slightly overcharged.

Solution from Youtube

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76qbF1WKoR4&ab_channel=Linescrew1

I used this method 18th October 2023 with success!

I have several Canon OEM batteries and a couple of JYJZPB alternative brand. These batteries (now several years old), came with it's bespoke USB multi-function charger/battery pack. All my batteries were charged using the JYJZPB USB charger and, as the presenter of the YT video stated and it seems plausible, perhaps the batteries are being slightly overcharged and presenting a higher voltage unacceptable to the camera? It's a thought particularly as my batteries were quite warm when removed from the charger.

I'm happy :) :) :)

Well, I spent most of the day searching Youtube for a solution, there were quite a few 'solutions' and I just waded through all of them! I was getting rather disheartened and even started looking for an alternative camera to purchase, then I got a shock at the cost of purchasing a full-frame DSLR and it would need to be Canon as I've accumulated a lot of accessories. I also researched getting it back to Canon for repair but found the Canon website equally frustrating! Then, I found the solution :) :) :)

Canon EOS 5D MK3 Won't Turn On
The likely reason is the recently charged battery is slightly overcharged.

Solution from Youtube

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76qbF1WKoR4&ab_channel=Linescrew1

I used this method 18th October 2023 with success!

I have several Canon OEM batteries and a couple of JYJZPB alternative brand. These batteries (now several years old), came with it's bespoke USB multi-function charger/battery pack. All my batteries were charged using the JYJZPB USB charger and, as the presenter of the YT video stated and it seems plausible, perhaps the batteries are being slightly overcharged and presenting a higher voltage unacceptable to the camera? It's a thought particularly as my batteries were quite warm when removed from the charger.

I'm happy :) :) :)
Excellent news :)

132 pages in and I would like to join the mark iii thread having very recently purchased my first full frame.
Slowly going through the manual and looking for some appropriate lenses...spending more time looking for lenses if I'm honest trying to get a feel for second hand prices...they're all over the place and seem to have gone up £200 since Aug this year!

I would like a 24-105 f4 l is usm to get me going. Anyone moving one on?

The difference from my 400D is amazing. it makes even me look good :)

I had a look at the magic lantern firmware link above and found it very interesting. I checked the firmware on the canon and it's up to date (canon wise) is it worth looking at third party FW and is there many of them?

Cheers,
Mike.

I looked at putting magic lantern on my mk iii but I was concerned at the instructions, seemed more complicated than when I put it on other cameras and I was afraid of bricking the camera

I regret my happiness was short lived :( Camera not powering on again and now sent off for a 'power board' repair - might be 2 to 3 weeks before I can add more to the story.
Bad luck lets hope the repair does the trick and you will have many more years shooting with it a classic camera for sure.

I love my 5D iii however dated it may seem. It is still very capable. Hopefully your repair is not expensive.

Still use mine a lot, still a good camera IMHO.
Mine has a very specific and important purpose, and I start wondering at what point I need to pick up another just in case my copy goes belly up. 321k+

Back