Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

ChrisJ_SLH said:
I can categorically confirm that the body of the mk3 is magnesium alloy. I managed to polish the corner with one of the rivets on my jeans today (using a sling strap). :crying:

Ah well, it has that 'used' look now. I might even pop a strip of gaffer tape over it for that authentic pro look.

I'll give you a grand for it ;)

Fly_Half said:
For those interested, I enquired about the Panamoz deal earlier in the week and it still stands.

Rhod

Get one Rhod (if you haven't already) its the bomb!

drew

Hi

I have a class 10 SD card i can fire 13 full raw files and a sandisk 60mb card 18 full raws never tried writing both at once though it would slow the buffer.

Allan

That's the thing, what good is a back up if it doesn't write both at once? :shake:

That's the thing, what good is a back up if it doesn't write both at once? :shake:

I must admit no idea i always wondered why someone would bother with a back up card i only came into dslr pfography bodies 5 years back but i never had a card fail. Why do you write a back up please. What i do is not the same but when i load on the pc i do a back up set same time.

I read the slow speed is the sd card slot not as fast as the cf slot any way good news just tried it now both cards and i got a full size raw burst to both cards of 10 images so thats good the buffer took about 12 seconds to empty.

Hope that helps

Allan

I have a question about the AF system on the 5d3.

If i select just 1 af point, say the middle one and i am in AI servio mode, once i lock on to say a bird in the middle af point, does the af system track the bird across ALL the other points? say if the bird was locked from the middle point and then flew across to the left of the viewfinder, will the AF points from the left side of the viewfinder track and light up keeping track of the bird?

Hi

It seems that after reading the instructions if you select the full set of af points and servo and you first focus on the subject it will track. It does say that it may loose the subject if small or slow. You can download the instructions from Canon web site it is fantastic when locked on.

Someone else may have tried it i normally use a cluster for say surfer or birds in flight. My main problem is i do noy have a lens with more focal length

Allan

Allan

I must admit no idea i always wondered why someone would bother with a back up card i only came into dslr pfography bodies 5 years back but i never had a card fail. Why do you write a back up please. What i do is not the same but when i load on the pc i do a back up set same time.

I have mine set to write raw to both cards. Some of my landscape trips are hundreds of miles drive, if I got home and found a card had corrupted and I'd lost my shots I'd be far from happy. More importantly though is when doing unrepeatable stuff, I'm shooting a friend's wedding later in the month, both cards will record raw, then from there get backed up again on the computer to a pair of external hard drives, deposited in different houses, as do the full cards which don't get formatted till I'm sure I've got at least 4 sets of each photo.

Hi

It seems that after reading the instructions if you select the full set of af points and servo and you first focus on the subject it will track. It does say that it may loose the subject if small or slow. You can download the instructions from Canon web site it is fantastic when locked on.

Someone else may have tried it i normally use a cluster for say surfer or birds in flight. My main problem is i do noy have a lens with more focal length

Allan

Allan

i heard that u do indeed select all af n but u can also set an initial single AF point where it will start tracking from that specific point.

Where can i download the manual?

I have mine set to write raw to both cards. Some of my landscape trips are hundreds of miles drive, if I got home and found a card had corrupted and I'd lost my shots I'd be far from happy. More importantly though is when doing unrepeatable stuff, I'm shooting a friend's wedding later in the month, both cards will record raw, then from there get backed up again on the computer to a pair of external hard drives, deposited in different houses, as do the full cards which don't get formatted till I'm sure I've got at least 4 sets of each photo.

For a proffessional it doe sindeed make sense to have a backup especially in a wedding. that CANNOT be recreated again whilst if your really bothered, can always drive back down 100 miles again to take that shot hehe

For those interested, I enquired about the Panamoz deal earlier in the week and it still stands.

Rhod

Whats the catch?

Last edited:

Ah i see well maybe try a faster CF card i had a 30mb card and sold it with my 5D2 it was a bit slow and never did video well which was not a big issue for me as i don't bother with video. Something with your card set up seems wrong if i can get 10 full raws on both cards.

When i do longer trips i drop the images off my cards onto a laptop though it does more concern me of loosing them of the laptop.

Good luck doing the wedding

Allan

i heard that u do indeed select all af n but u can also set an initial single AF point where it will start tracking from that specific point.

Whats the catch?

Yes thats correct you do select first AF point

I bought grey as well not off Paramoz it went well the catch is being brave and paying via BT gave me a few sleepless nights LOL

Allan

7584098278_2cc7bdcc31_b.jpg

What are the downsides of paying via BT?

If they close up shop or just don't send your stuff then your money is gone.

I ordered the new 40mm pancake lens from them and have just got my shipping tracking from them.

It's just left Kowloon in Hong Kong.

I bought a new galaxy note mobile from panamoz arrived in a few days
I am considering selling my 7d and getting a 5dmk3 from panamoz

When I ordered my 40mm pancake it was showing as in stock. However they emailed me to say it had gone out of stock and that they were expecting stock in a few days, but if I could cancel if I didn't want to wait. So no real complaints there.

Tracking sshowing that UPS have collected it and that it should be with me on Weds.

Just a couple of questions regarding bank transfer. I assume this can be done via online banking and it's just a matter of obtaining the other account details? Also are there any charges associated with the transfer?

The price at just under £2000 for the 5D3 is fantastic that some of you folks have been quoted for from Panomaz. I'd be interested in the kit though and it works out cheaper buying the camera and lens separately rather than in kit form. Seems odd, but might be worth having a chat to them about it once they get stock back in again.

Yep you just need their bank details (i.e. sort code and acct number) and I presume some sort of order number.

Yep you just need their bank details (i.e. sort code and acct number) and I presume some sort of order number.

Thanks Robin, should have figured parting with money was gonna be fairly straightforward. :)

Just a couple of questions regarding bank transfer. I assume this can be done via online banking and it's just a matter of obtaining the other account details? Also are there any charges associated with the transfer?

The price at just under £2000 for the 5D3 is fantastic that some of you folks have been quoted for from Panomaz. I'd be interested in the kit though and it works out cheaper buying the camera and lens separately rather than in kit form. Seems odd, but might be worth having a chat to them about it once they get stock back in again.

Assuming you have not been informed otherwise by Panamoz, so far as I know all who have enquired via the contact form have been offered the deal despite it showing as out of stock, it was not even advertised when I bought mine :).

£2573, if my maths is correct should get you the body and the lens via BT if they only charge you one delivery charge, not sure what they do for multiple purchases.

Last edited:
They send you an invoice with all the details.

I got mine from Panamoz, great correspondence from them the whole way through.
To try and put the minds at rest of those thinking of ordering mine happened as follows:

Their site was showing out of stock and at a higher price than the £1995 deal that Mal had agreed.
I contacted them via their email contact link, explained I was interested and understood if you were a 'friend' of Mal's they would match the £1995 price
They came back and said yes and they would let me know when they could source one... very shortly after got another mail saying they had got one and if interested to contact again to confirm
After agreeing I wanted it, they send you over an attached invoice and the bank details for the transfer.
I admit I was a little nervous as the account details is just to an individual rather than a company name and had a sleepless night until my tracking number came through the following day!
I shouldn't have worried though it tracked perfectly from Hong Kong, via Dubai, Germany and then UK. Mine did take a couple more days to arrive than Mals but think mine got stuck in the UK with UPS over a weekend.

Hope that helps some of you make your minds up. For me it worked brilliantly and am now the proud owner of a fantastic bit of kit that I couldn't have justified purchasing until it reached around the 2k mark

Oh and no I am not affiliated in any way with Panamoz!

I got mine from Panamoz, great correspondence from them the whole way through.
To try and put the minds at rest of those thinking of ordering mine happened as follows:

Their site was showing out of stock and at a higher price than the £1995 deal that Mal had agreed.
I contacted them via their email contact link, explained I was interested and understood if you were a 'friend' of Mal's they would match the £1995 price
They came back and said yes and they would let me know when they could source one... very shortly after got another mail saying they had got one and if interested to contact again to confirm
After agreeing I wanted it, they send you over an attached invoice and the bank details for the transfer.
I admit I was a little nervous as the account details is just to an individual rather than a company name and had a sleepless night until my tracking number came through the following day!
I shouldn't have worried though it tracked perfectly from Hong Kong, via Dubai, Germany and then UK. Mine did take a couple more days to arrive than Mals but think mine got stuck in the UK with UPS over a weekend.

Hope that helps some of you make your minds up. For me it worked brilliantly and am now the proud owner of a fantastic bit of kit that I couldn't have justified purchasing until it reached around the 2k mark

Oh and no I am not affiliated in any way with Panamoz!

Neither am I :)

Another thank you for Mal and Panamoz
Ordered mine Thursday and turned up today just as i go into work. Just got my hands on it now and i' really impressed, not only the the camera, but with the service.
Tracked and good communication.
Just with saving between Panamoz and DigitalRev I can get myself another lens...:D

Another thank you for Mal and Panamoz
Ordered mine Thursday and turned up today just as i go into work. Just got my hands on it now and i' really impressed, not only the the camera, but with the service.
Tracked and good communication.
Just with saving between Panamoz and DigitalRev I can get myself another lens...:D

Exactly what I did, thought I'd get myself the 100mm f2.8 IS Macro with the money I saved!

Shall we start a Panamoz fan club? Mal for president! :LOL:

To anyone still thinking it's risky to pay via BT, there's got to be at least 4 of us that have done it successfully so far. All with English manuals and chargers I believe.

Delivery time would have been 2 days if it wasn't for the pesky weekend getting in the way!

Go for it.

Loving the camera, it really is good...

Another happy Panamoz customer - though first time poster, so not exactly trustworthy, I know :)

After watching the discussion here, ordered my 5D3 last Thursday after much deliberation, paying by BT. Dispatched within about 12 hours and arrived here this afternoon :)

Very happy with the upgrade from my 60D, now just need to spend that £1000 saved on some new glass - possibly an 85 f1.2...

Back