Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

lol really? and is there a quick way of changing the ISO too?

Thank you, loving FF!

Yes. You can set the custom functions so that if you hold in the SET button and twiddle the main dial at the top you can alter ISO and see where you're at through the viewfinder. This is easier than fumbling for the ISO button on the top deck and then making the adjustment. So, in manual mode...

Main dial = shutter speed
Quick control dial = aperture
SET + Main dial = ISO

Also configure the multi-controller (joystick) for direct control of AF ponits and you'll be well set to respond quickly to a changing situation.

Yes. You can set the custom functions so that if you hold in the SET button and twiddle the main dial at the top you can alter ISO and see where you're at through the viewfinder. This is easier than fumbling for the ISO button on the top deck and then making the adjustment. So, in manual mode...

Main dial = shutter speed
Quick control dial = aperture
SET + Main dial = ISO

Also configure the multi-controller (joystick) for direct control of AF ponits and you'll be well set to respond quickly to a changing situation.

exactly what I'm after!! thanks :)

Use the Microsoft one here

Last edited:
My pleasure Ed (y)

z2F0r.jpg

That flare is real :p

Last edited:
Got mine today :)

Ive had a 100-400 before (2005 date code), dont remember that one being as sharp as this one (2011 code).

Ive also update my firmware to 1.1.3 since.

ras0428.jpg

100-400
5dmk3.jpg

70-300L

70300l.jpg

100-400 + canon 1.4

10040014.jpg

Last edited:
Ah ha... had a quick look last night, there's two ways to turn on the info screen, pressing the info button, or pressing the Q button.

When the screen is turned off, press the Q button, this should switch it on and you get the info screen, now half press the shutter, and voila! It's off :)

Cheers Edz! I'll try that later (y)

We had an afternoon at a local garden centre this afternoon and as always, a great oppertunity to take the MKIII and 100 f/2.8 L.

7809384160_ff48ce69f4_b.jpg

Got my Pixel Pro grip yesterday too from UK Highland Photography. Very impressed with the quality of it, and so glad i didn't go with the extortionate Canon grip...

I got mine from them as well... Very nice to deal with! (y)

I had an email from Roger at UK Highland a few days after I bought mine to tell me that they'd had a couple of grips returned suffering from a battery-drain issue and he asked if I could check mine to see if it was ok.

As it turned out, mine was one of the faulty ones so it got returned this week and the replacement is due to arrive tomorrow. The fact that they alerted me to a potential problem rather than just wait speaks volumes for their customer service and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use them again!

Thinking of getting a pixel grip myself off ebay.

Seen two, one with the 2 lcd screen protectors included as well.

221075221189 £59.99

221075221699 £62

I got mine from them as well... Very nice to deal with! (y)

I had an email from Roger at UK Highland a few days after I bought mine to tell me that they'd had a couple of grips returned suffering from a battery-drain issue and he asked if I could check mine to see if it was ok.

As it turned out, mine was one of the faulty ones so it got returned this week and the replacement is due to arrive tomorrow. The fact that they alerted me to a potential problem rather than just wait speaks volumes for their customer service and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use them again!

That's a bit worrying, how do you check? Is it as obvious as leaving the batteries in and seeing how long they take to drain?

That's a bit worrying, how do you check? Is it as obvious as leaving the batteries in and seeing how long they take to drain?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did Mark!

Leave the batteries in the grip attached to the camera for a day or so and check... If it's fine, it won't have gone down at all but mine went from fully charged to drained inside of three days! It's not a major problem and these things happen from time to time - especially on a new model like this.

Apparently, all of the replacement units have been fine! :)

Leave the batteries in the grip attached to the camera for a day or so and check... If it's fine, it won't have gone down at all but mine went from fully charged to drained inside of three days! It's not a major problem and these things happen from time to time - especially on a new model like this.

I only ordered on Sunday and received it yesterday so hopefully i will have one of the new bunch anyway.

As long as they don't run down twice as fast or anything like that and leave me in the lurch mid shoot.

I'll give it a go anyway and see how it goes.

I put an offer in of £56 for an ebay one, he accepted 1 hr later, shame as i saw he had the grip and lcd protectors for £62 :D that i bought

What you calling ugly eh!

Edit*

Can you guys do a quick test with expanded ISO please? Here's what I've been testing out tonight under dim workspace lighting:

ISO 102,400
ISO_102400.jpg

ISO 51,200
ISO_51200.jpg

At ISO 12,800 there is no sensor heat noise in the lower corners and at ISO 25k is less obvious than 51k as well.

Last edited:
Can you guys do a quick test with expanded ISO please?

SLIDESHOW from 100-102400 ISO, shot raw and processed in Lightroom with WB adjustment and sharpening mask set to 30. NR and everything else at defaults. Output sharpening applied as standard for screen.

EDIT : SLIDESHOW from DPP conversion of raws. WB adjusted. Picture style = standard. Sharpening = 3. NR turned off in camera but DPP applied its own defaults, varying with ISO.

Last edited:
Spiritflier said:

I have had this issue with a third party grip for my 7D, it drains the battery if you leave the grip switched on when not in use.

Got a 5D MkIII today so think I will invest in one of those Pixel grips too.

SLIDESHOW from 100-102400 ISO, shot raw and processed in Lightroom with WB adjustment and sharpening mask set to 30. NR and everything else at defaults. Output sharpening applied as standard for screen.

EDIT : SLIDESHOW from DPP conversion of raws. WB adjusted. Picture style = standard. Sharpening = 3. NR turned off in camera but DPP applied its own defaults, varying with ISO.

I get "Sorry, that page was not found." from both links?

But on the subject of extended ISOs.. I don't really find them usable. Oh I'm sure I'll run into some emergency any day now where I'll just go "all out" on ISO to get something.. but I would first go all-out on just about everything else before doing that.

ISO 25600 - the last "normal" ISO - is already ok and ISO 6400 is lovely.

I did test ISO 51200 just now and I get BIG splotches of purple in the upper corners..

Sorry. Albums defaulted to private viewing. Hopefully they are OK now.

That works for me. Great comparison test. I really wish I could afford one. Thanks

That 51,200 looks like 3200 on my D300s, seriously. Really impressed by the iso performance on the mk iii. Can pretty much see in the dark with that level of ISO!

Back