Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Hand straps...
Is anyone using one with the 5D3?
If so, what's the best one to get?

Comment retracted as misunderstood by others.

Last edited:
Lol, went to try one at jessops in meadowhall - but they wouldn't let me despite me talking a decent game, guess they are learning!

I almost bought one to return it after trying it out... Okay I didn't really but I did think of it!

Just don't complain when your local camera shop goes bust and that time on a Saturday afternoon when you need a certain piece of kit and internet sellers can't get you it in time you're stuck. This kind of messing about has seen the demise of lots of great camera shops, people like Jacobs.

Getting back on topic I've got my Kirk L bracket for my 5D3, great piece of kit, fits really well, nicely built and good access for all ports.

markmullen said:
Getting back on topic I've got my Kirk L bracket for my 5D3, great piece of kit, fits really well, nicely built and good access for all ports.

Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking? How long to deliver?

Cheers

Just don't complain when your local camera shop goes bust and that time on a Saturday afternoon when you need a certain piece of kit and internet sellers can't get you it in time you're stuck. This kind of messing about has seen the demise of lots of great camera shops, people like Jacobs.

Don't worry I wont and have used Jessops before online to buy a couple of pretty expensive lenses.

I didn't ask them to break into a box as I wouldn't want to buy a camera handled by others - I enquired about a demonstration version either there or at another of their shops, if that passes your standards - also I've never done anything like that as Jacobs but again have bought kit from them - a tripod, head and a couple of bags - now if you can stop painting me as the bad guy we can get back to the thread.

Jessops used to do 2 years interest free credit value items. Now it's 10 months. Bring it back to 2 years to do something different & so that I can order a 1Dx...

markmullen said:
Warehouse Express, ordered at 5pm on a Thursday, delivered 10am Friday morning.

Cheers.

What head you using?

I've got a Manfrotto 405 as my main head on 055XProB legs which I am about to order an Arca conversion kit from Hejnar. In the meantime I'm using my travel kit which is a Gitzo G1277M on Gitzo Mountaineer legs, converted with a Kirk Arca clamp.

The good thing with going to Arca Swiss plates etc is that I bought a couple of 1 inch Kirk clamps to use with Black Rapid which makes a really good useable tripod to BR quick release system.

Not sure if this is any use to users here. I always buy an L bracket for my bodies as I do a lot of landscapes with a tripod. Until now, I bought Kirk brackets, but they are invariably difficult to get hold of in the UK as WEX are the only retailer I know of and they are expensive.
I took a look on eBay and found one by Sunwayfoto at £69.99 and decided to try it. Purchased from CGUK and I have to say their service was excellent. They made a mistake and sent out the wrong model and not only were they honest enough to say they had made a mistake, they took 15% off the price!
The bracket itself is surprisingly well made and a bargain for anyone looking for an L bracket for their Mk3.

Thanks for that i was looking for a kirk and found them out of stock the Ebay one looks ok does it have room for cables to enter ok please i use a remote release.

Thanks

Allan

I've seen mixed reports on the high ISO noise and DR of the 5D3 vs 5D2, some say it's a significant 1+ stop improvement, others that it's a less-than-half stop one. Still others say it's basically the same.

How about you 5D2 --> 5D3 upgraders here, what do you say? What I'm really interested in is how does ISO 6400 on the 5D3 compare to the 5D2 @ ISO 3200 but any real-world feelings about the noise at ISO 3200-6400 would be great to hear.

Oh and shooting raw + ETTR in dim indoors, not really interested about in-camera JPEG now.

Honestly.. 12000 iso on the mk3 is more like 3200 iso on the mk2 in terms of noise levels.. Possibly even better.

Then of course there's the added advantage of 12000 actually being useable.. I wouldn't want to use 3200 on the mk2 to be honest and definitely never beyond it.

In terms of both iso performance and anything related to focusing I feel the cameras are like chalk and cheese.

I've got a Manfrotto 405 as my main head on 055XProB legs which I am about to order an Arca conversion kit from Hejnar. In the meantime I'm using my travel kit which is a Gitzo G1277M on Gitzo Mountaineer legs, converted with a Kirk Arca clamp.

The good thing with going to Arca Swiss plates etc is that I bought a couple of 1 inch Kirk clamps to use with Black Rapid which makes a really good useable tripod to BR quick release system.

Cheers mate. I'm currently using a Redsnapper ball head and I think it is an Arca style clamp anyway. At least it looks to be the same style.

Thanks for that i was looking for a kirk and found them out of stock the Ebay one looks ok does it have room for cables to enter ok please i use a remote release.

Thanks

Allan

If it's a Sunwayfoto L bracket, then yes you can use your remote release. Make sure the seller is CGUK. Their service is excellent.

Any one using third party spare battery and if yes what make
I have seen the arguments saying dont touch 3rd party batterys etc
but I have been using them with my current camera's and to be honest the 3rd party one's have performed just as well as the original one's (bar one) which was dead on arrival

so would appreciate suggestions please from 5D3 users
thanks
Chris

Buttkicker said:
Any one using third party spare battery and if yes what make
I have seen the arguments saying dont touch 3rd party batterys etc
but I have been using them with my current camera's and to be honest the 3rd party one's have performed just as well as the original one's (bar one) which was dead on arrival

so would appreciate suggestions please from 5D3 users
thanks
Chris

I have 2 batteries for my 5Dii from 7dayshop and they're just as good as my canon battery. The only difference is that the camera body doesn't remember the battery level of the 3rd party batteries like it does when using multiple canon batteries. Never used that feature anyway :)

Had a play with that 'silent shutter' function last night... That's going to be a big help during church weddings! :)

Actually Jacobs (highstreet shop) had a no refund policy, so you'd get a credit note instead. So they had would've had your money one way or another.

Comment retracted as misunderstood by others.

Last edited:
Had a play with that 'silent shutter' function last night... That's going to be a big help during church weddings! :)

I'd also got high hopes for the 5DIII silent shutter.
But it's not actually silent and when I'm taking a shot it still sounds loud enough to carry.
However, I can report it is better than I expected!
Here's one from last Saturday that I couldn't have taken without the silent shutter.
A concert by Three Kane Whale held in the Church next to the festival.
Haunting beautiful atmospheric music; but WAY too quiet.
i-sDPgKvZ-M.jpg

When I got there, a photographer was already at the back, gear in hand waiting for the music to get loud enough to take a shot without his shutter noise being intrusive for the audience. He was using a 7D and 5DII.
I started taking shots including this one. When I paused, he whispered in my ear asking if I was going to dare to take anything, and was astonished to learn that I'd already taken some; he didn't hear my shutter!
My beep was already turned off; I've found the beep carries further than the shutter noise.

JohnN said:
You didn't actually read the message did you?

I didn't recommend any such thing.

Now does this place have an ignore button ;) <-- note smily - keeping it light hearted!

You mean this one before you back peddled?
I did read it and I agree with the other poster that you seemed happy to mess the shop about, cant see another interpretation really?

JohnN said:
Lol, went to try one at jessops in meadowhall - but they wouldn't let me despite me talking a decent game, guess they are learning!

I almost bought one to return it after trying it out... Okay I didn't really but I did think of it!

Good to hear that :) it can't get any better than mine for delivery, ordered on the Friday afternoon and here 9.00am Monday, tracked all the way.

It's here! Really impressed with that delivery time, sent via UPS and like you say, tracked all the way.

Plus I feel like I've had the bargain of a century with that price too. Great stuff!

Haven't had a chance to properly play with it yet but it instantly feels so much better in the hand than the mkII ever did. Definitely made the right decision. I'll be posting questions on how to use it soon no doubt ;)

Mine turned up today too! Brilliant buy from Panamoz. Exactly as described with UK charger and manual. Well chuffed... It's play time!

5D MKIII thread chaps!

Congrats on receiving your cameras chaps.

Here's a reason why I'm loving this camera so much already...

Prince Charles and Camilla arriving in Aberystwyth just now. The field they landed in is about a quarter of a mile away from my bedroom window (where this was taken from). This is a 1200x800 pixel 100% crop at ISO4000 with the EF70-300mm L and the Kenko Pro 300 DGX

5D3_0739.jpg

What I wouldn't have given for an 800mm though! :D

It's here! Really impressed with that delivery time, sent via UPS and like you say, tracked all the way.

Plus I feel like I've had the bargain of a century with that price too. Great stuff!

Haven't had a chance to properly play with it yet but it instantly feels so much better in the hand than the mkII ever did. Definitely made the right decision. I'll be posting questions on how to use it soon no doubt ;)

Mine turned up today too! Brilliant buy from Panamoz. Exactly as described with UK charger and manual. Well chuffed... It's play time!

That kinda makes me well chuffed too :)

Back