Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Went to Hever Castle today as they had some jousting on.

It turned out to be very pantomime-ish but the 5D3's tracking was spot on.

7624761130_56c240da75_c.jpg
[/url] H83A1116.jpg by BigRobinRob, on Flickr[/IMG]

It arrived this morning. Pleased, yes very:D

The camera will hopefully lose it's virginity on the mach loop tomorrow.

Oh and the manual.....That's the bog read sorted for the next few weeks

medium.jpg

Last edited:

medium.jpg

Nice one, it sure is a stunning camera (y)

hopefully will see the pics when i get home. and I NEED to get up the loop soon

5D Mark III has beautiful color rendition but a beast to figure out the AF.

7625861912_7671a2f15c_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Damn even the box looks nice.... I love the smell of new gear. I still have the Mark 2 and are very keen to upgrade some time. I hope you enjoy

LLS

That's what I like to see... (y)

I'm back up there again next week but I'm sooo tempted to take a sneaky day up there this week! ;)

I got the chance to put an EF600mm f/4L IS USM on my 5DMKIII last week up at Nant-yr-arian but even better than that, I also managed to get a few decent shots of the leucistic 'red' kite with it! :)

Got mine yesterday... That AF really is something else. Also loving the solid feel, hating the play zoom and wishing for illuminated AF points in AI servo..

Got mine yesterday... That AF really is something else. Also loving the solid feel, hating the play zoom and wishing for illuminated AF points in AI servo..

The autofocus confirmation illumination issue is the only complaint I have, whether it is a software issue or a hardware issue is debatable and from what I have read on other forums there is no hint from Canon that it can or will be "fixed"

Apparently the focus point illumination issue is caused by the "nifty" new viewfinder overlay introduced with the 7D and now also in the 1Dx and 5D3. Lighting it up during metering skews the metering results according to Chuck Westfall from Canon and apparently a firmware update will bring about some kind of half-assed semi-solution.

I wish they'd at least enable it for manual mode or when using AE-lock on the shutter button (together with back-button AF). In both cases the camera does not meter while AI Servo is doing it's magic.

OR in the minimum have the AF points flash very quickly as focus is obtained.

You know I really though I would miss this but don't at all now I've used it and I've found if its dark it flashes red anyway so again not an issue.

John, only in One Shot focus. And if I'm shooting stationary subjects in AI Servo it doesn't matter that much that I can't see the focus points in red, I know which ones are selected.

The problem is when using all 61 points in AI Servo by locking on with an initial point and letting the camera track the subject. Without having the points light up in red (in low light) I've no idea where the focus is or if it has focus at all. So I'm shooting blind because I can't see those black squares.

And I'm ALWAYS in AI Servo with back-button AF so the only time I see my AF points in red is when selecting them.

I always use AI Servo too, I'll have to have another look later - I was taking a picture of a cake last and it lit up... ah, but that was stationary...

And I'm ALWAYS in AI Servo with back-button AF so the only time I see my AF points in red is when selecting them.
In Al servo mode, AF point is always not lighting up when in operation other than when selecting them. It is the same as in 5D2 and other cameras(?).

I'm sorry I'm wrong - I just went off and tried again and it didn't light up - I even thought it might be because I had the flash on so tried that - still no light in servo, but I do remember it lighting up because I thought it was odd but cannot make it do it again in servo.

EDIT: Found it - AI Focus + dark kitchen corner = lit dots, it seems to look at the scene and if its dark enough - no idea why it was in AI focus thought, must have caught it by accident.

Last edited:
1D-1D4 and 1Ds-1Ds3 did keep the AF points lit while tracking subjects, so it's a feature that was lost with the new viewfinder overlay in 1Dx/5D3/7D. Not sure about the 5Dc even though I use it every day, because I never ever use anything except center point on it. Maybe I should pay more attention :D

Most people shooting sports of BIF would probably trade the fancy overlay for those red AF points...

Edit: Add indoor equestrian, concerts, nightclubs etc to that.

Last edited:
Going from one extreme to the other (low-flying aircraft to baby portraits), I thought I'd have a little 'proud dad' moment and share this with you. :)

This is my daughter Callie... She was a month old yesterday! :D

The 5DMKIII really is a great all-rounder!

5D3_1894colver2tp.jpg

Spiritflier said:
Going from one extreme to the other (low-flying aircraft to baby portraits), I thought I'd have a little 'proud dad' moment and share this with you. :)

Beautiful mate, congratulations!

Spiritflier said:
Do you mean something like this? ;)

Hi mate,
Is this your image?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of going to the Loop next week and I'll be using the 5D MKIII for this type of photography for the first time. Can I ask what AF styles and points you used?

Cheers

Mark

She is lovely and i think she may be asking Dad for a camera of her own

Hi mate,
Is this your image?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of going to the Loop next week and I'll be using the 5D MKIII for this type of photography for the first time. Can I ask what AF styles and points you used?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

It's definitely my image. :)

If I remember correctly, I had the camera set on Manual with Auto ISO and continuous drive mode selected. AI Servo focussing with AF Point Expansion using the 8 AF point surrounding the main one. I also had it off to the side of centre to allow for the aircraft coming into the frame.

I think I also used 'case 2' in the AF menu but can't be sure.

She is lovely and i think she may be asking Dad for a camera of her own

Thanks Allan,

She's a little angel and if she's anything like her big sister, I'm sure she'll be running around with a camera in no time (her big sister was wandering around Silverstone wearing a media tabard last weekend for the Classic event). ;)

I must admit no idea i always wondered why someone would bother with a back up card i only came into dslr pfography bodies 5 years back but i never had a card fail. Why do you write a back up please. What i do is not the same but when i load on the pc i do a back up set same time.

I read the slow speed is the sd card slot not as fast as the cf slot any way good news just tried it now both cards and i got a full size raw burst to both cards of 10 images so thats good the buffer took about 12 seconds to empty.

Hope that helps

Allan

What cards did you use?

7661814070_50cbdf8764_b.jpg

:thinking:Forgive me for sounding a bit detached but what is the LOOP the previous messages are refering to? Obviously it is some type of airfield but how do they allow you access what to what degree can you shoot? What plane activity goes on there? Very curious.

Back