Wastwater Lake.

Canon 5D MKIII.
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II USM.
1.6 Sec.
16mm at f/11.
ISO100.

7709088084_ca21423d1f_b.jpg

7711206862_a92d4895e2_b.jpg

what are peoples views on the 5d3s ability to focus in low or no light? i know the d800 has a focus assist lamp and the 5d3 doesn't - not that this would be much use on a landscape or anything more than about 3m away!

also how about the buffer - i was watching a video of the d800 vs 5d3 on youtube and the d800 was struggling on a high burst to clear the buffer - you could see each image on the screen a good few seconds after they had released the shutter.

Last edited:
what are peoples views on the 5d3s ability to focus in low or no light? i know the d800 has a focus assist lamp and the 5d3 doesn't - not that this would be much use on a landscape or anything more than about 3m away!

also how about the buffer - i was watching a video of the d800 vs 5d3 on youtube and the d800 was struggling on a high burst to clear the buffer - you could see each image on the screen a good few seconds after they had released the shutter.

The autofocus in low light is a lot better than my 1mk2N in Low light situations really a very impressive camera all round
if your worried about the buffer filling up fast get the fastest CF card you can buy 1000x Lexar and you will see a huge difference in performance and clearing the buffer compared to the other supposedly fast cards

takes about 5 seconds to completely clear the buffer with 1000x card
the 5d3 takes full advantage of the faster cards being UDMA7

The autofocus in low light is a lot better than my 1mk2N in Low light situations really a very impressive camera all round
if your worried about the buffer filling up fast get the fastest CF card you can buy 1000x Lexar and you will see a huge difference in performance and clearing the buffer compared to the other supposedly fast cards

takes about 5 seconds to completely clear the buffer with 1000x card
the 5d3 takes full advantage of the faster cards being UDMA7

Thanks - will check out the faster cards

I was in a very dark church yesterday and it had no problem focussing at iso 25600.

Cracking image Mark... Shame you couldn't make it down to us though! :)

Cheers Si,
We both wished we were there but that's the choice we made.

Looking forward to your images.

Mark

Love this, fab shot. What time of day? Filter?

Cheers mate,
It was 05:30 on Friday and I used a 0.9 Soft GND filter. Should of stated that in the data.. :naughty:

That looks great for ISO 4000, certainly compared to my 20D anyhow which doesn't even go as far as that. I hope to order one fairly soon.

That looks great for ISO 4000, certainly compared to my 20D anyhow which doesn't even go as far as that. I hope to order one fairly soon.

It was a great test for the camera. One window and she was in the corner opposite. I have a wedding in a few days time and I cannot wait to let the 5d3 let rip. Freedom from using a flash , especially during the ceremony should be fun.

Here is mine from the Wirral Coastline
7439582054_589b67bc28_c.jpg

Interesting discoveries at the Lenrentals.com blog:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras

Read the other parts too.

Short version: newer USM lenses and the STM lenses (like the 40/2.8) are amazingly accurate on the 5D3 and 1Dx due to higher precision stepper motor (STM) or rotation sensor.

I wonder if the 7D firmware update will bring this magic to the king of Canon croppers.

Btw, my limited use of the 40/2.8 supports this, that little gem nails focus every time on the 5D3.

...I do wonder though (especially the 5 or 6 on this page) whether they could be equally as good on the 5d2?

They probably could... The 5DMKIII just makes it a little easier to accomplish! :)

Here's one from me. I don't do much macro but I managed to get a few shots of these butterflies. I put a 21mm extension tube on the 70-200mm and was really happy with the results. :)

Resting Ringlet

Who has been able to get hold of a GP-E2 geotagger? Does it strictly need to be mounted on the top flash shoe or can it be suspended and latched onto the neck strap like Nikon? I would prefer the latter as I dont want the height on the camera and want to leave the top shoe available for flash.

Folks, just wondering if you could shed some advice regarding compact flash cards for the camera. I was going to get an 8Gb card but it's been so long since I bought one I'm a bit confused at what I would need or what difference the speeds would make.

Having used Sandisk previously it was a toss up between an 8Gb Ultra @ 30Mb/s or an Extreme @ 60Mb/s. Is it worth going for the faster card or do I need faster again? It'll be mostly be photos but with it being my first dslr with video I'll be playing around with that too.

Folks, just wondering if you could shed some advice regarding compact flash cards for the camera. I was going to get an 8Gb card but it's been so long since I bought one I'm a bit confused at what I would need or what difference the speeds would make.

Having used Sandisk previously it was a toss up between an 8Gb Ultra @ 30Mb/s or an Extreme @ 60Mb/s. Is it worth going for the faster card or do I need faster again? It'll be mostly be photos but with it being my first dslr with video I'll be playing around with that too.

Get the fastest card you can afford if you need the speed current king on sale in the UK is the Lexar 1000x which is incredibly fast at clearing the buffer on the 5d3 which takes advantage of UDMA7

I have various 600x times cards and the Ducati extreme4 sandisk but the Lexar is a lot faster

Hi

Main tip from me is get bigger than 8gb the 5D3 will eat it more so if you start doing video.

I have the 60mbs sandisk 32gb card and can fire 18 raw shots before the buffer fills up. Does video easy

If you need a larger burst than 18 then you need a faster card

Allan

Last edited:
MyMemory had a deal on for the Sandisk 45mbps 16GB cards for £9.99 (Only £12.99 now though).
I always like to have a few smaller cards rahter than 1 large. Eggs in one basket and all that, so bought 2 of them.
Thinking 45 should be fast enough considering i burst only 4 maximum and no video.

The superfast, large cards are essential in massive file size cameras such as D800 or if you trust all your photos on one card and need speed.

Back