Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

right some advice needed when im shooting motorsport i use back button focus ai servo and case setting two.the problem im haveing is the second shot in a burst is out of focus and sometimes the rest of the sequence.this happens when they comming straight at me or panning same problem with the aircraft up the mach loop.i also use centre point only.

I still have a 5DIII woooohoooo and I'm still on here :p

To obtain focus lock for second and subsequent shots in a burst while in AI Servo, select the AF menu, go to the second "dot" and select AI Servo 2nd image priority. On the screen, move the pointer to the right hand side, to select Focus as the priority. This will ensure that no shot will be taken until the subject is in focus.

As an aside, I also set my AI Servo 1st image priority the same

The trade off here is that seed of burst will be sacrified somewhat, but I'd rather have fewer shots in a burst that are in focus rather than more shots in a burst that aren't all in focus

For motor racing or aircraft, have a go at expanded centre point focussing. This may improve your hit rate

Last edited:
thanks nigel i have just set it up as you said off to motocross practice track to test it this afternoon. ill pop back to let you know how i get off thanks for taking time to reply.;):ty:

@nigpd Just set my 5D3 to your suggested settings. I only got it in January this year ( just after I got it Panamoz stopped advertising them), so still experimenting with it.LOL

I still have a 5DIII woooohoooo and I'm still on here :p

To obtain focus lock for second and subsequent shots in a burst while in AI Servo, select the AF menu, go to the second "dot" and select AI Servo 2nd image priority. On the screen, move the pointer to the right hand side, to select Focus as the priority. This will ensure that no shot will be taken until the subject is in focus.

As an aside, I also set my AI Servo 1st image priority the same

The trade off here is that seed of burst will be sacrified somewhat, but I'd rather have fewer shots in a burst that are in focus rather than more shots in a burst that aren't all in focus

For motor racing or aircraft, have a go at expanded centre point focussing. This may improve your hit rate

That looks like it could be the solution to my Birds in Flight problems too.........

Muchas gracias, senor.

thanks nigel i have just set it up as you said off to motocross practice track to test it this afternoon. ill pop back to let you know how i get off thanks for taking time to reply.;):ty:

The issue with using the single spot with moving objects is that for it to track properly you need to keep the focus point on the object, which is a challenge when you take the shot and the viewfinder goes black. As Nigel has suggested I also used to use the Expanded Spot, it also works surprisingly well with Zone selected. I tended to use Zone for Motorbikes and BIF and switch to Expanded if it was struggling to pick the right subject.

The issue with using the single spot with moving objects is that for it to track properly you need to keep the focus point on the object, which is a challenge when you take the shot and the viewfinder goes black. As Nigel has suggested I also used to use the Expanded Spot, it also works surprisingly well with Zone selected. I tended to use Zone for Motorbikes and BIF and switch to Expanded if it was struggling to pick the right subject.

i will have a look into that thank you chris anything to make things easier.i got to be honest this forum is brilliant i would be lost without it.:ty::)

Yes of course! There's no need to fix what isn't broken.

I only use 2 lenses now for pretty much everything. 35 1.4 LII + SIgma 85 1.4 EX HSM. I also have the Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC but that doesn't get used so much now.

Last edited:
BER14042.jpg

Yesterday, during a walk with my wife, who also started to take pictures. So I gave her a 5D with a 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, while I used the 5D III with the 70-200 f/4. She is still struggling with aperture, time and ISO. But she will get it, good there's no auto ISO. ;)

I must confess that I no longer own my 5DIII and so I will flee for my life before I am tarred and feathered...

in my defense I still have my 5D1 and 1DsMkII...

Cheers all! I will check in on occasion to see the amazing images made.

Let's pop another shot in here shall we eh?

Schools Class Loco, 925 - Cheltenham in British Railways livery awaiting her next turn at Ropley Shed on the Mid Hants Railway.
Taken with the 5D3 and 24-70 F/2.8L II. Edited using PS and the Nik Collections Analogue Effects.

Christmas Leave - Mid Hants Railway
by Tim White, on Flickr

Not really looked in on this thread before, but some very useful info on focus settings a page or so back.

My 5DIII is still my main camera (also have a 5D1).

Might as well post up a couple of shots:
Angerland gig in September with 70-200 2.8
3O2A1000 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Lizard at the zoo in July, with 100mm f2.8 macro
3O2A9681 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Also received this, but I already had it, last year....odd

That mail was for a software update for your PC, not for the camera, although the link in that mail points to the firmware.

I did not install any of these firmware updates, not including the one that only fixed a bug in the Russian menu. My camera works fine, so why should I update? As of 1.3.6 there is no possibility for a downgrade, so Magic Lantern can never be used again. The latter works best with version 1.1.3

I don't know, I guess EOS-Utility, DPP, ...
I tried to download to find out, but it wants me to insert a CD although everything has been already installed long time ago, so I gave up, as I don't use that stuff anyway. ;)

I looked at the date of the latest DDP and a few others but nothing was recent. Who knows.

Yes of course! There's no need to fix what isn't broken.

I only use 2 lenses now for pretty much everything. 35 1.4 LII + SIgma 85 1.4 EX HSM. I also have the Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC but that doesn't get used so much now.

Dude your work in the 3 posts in this thread is simply awesome! I love it, in terms of the style, selective focus and blurry backgrounds. I would love to hear more about you achieve this and the processing that you apply also. I know this will be a mix of the kit you use, in terms of fast aperture lenses, but obviously lots of skill and technique to go with it. Thanks in advance.

Back