Canon 5d original

Name
gary
Edit My Images
No
Sometimes called the classic or mk1
Is it worth buying in 2021?
I have recently sold all my mirrorless and micro 4/3rds gear and bought a minty 40d really like the colours, had one when they originally appeared
have an itch for full frame
mpb have 5d's for 150 to 220 should I take the plunge?

Why not! I loved the 40D and the output from the 5D has similar tonal quality, at least to me. Unless you need low light performance, speed or sophisticated AF, go for it. You have very little to loose.

Purely FWIW

I had the 40D and thought the quality of the raw files with their almost noise free smoothness was superb..................I regretted ever buying the 7D.

I ended up with the 5D3 and it too had superbly smooth raw files but the weight and the lack of funds to get the longer lenses for my wildlife (and at the time aviation) photography meant I bought Olympus mFT gear and sold all my Canon kit. Yes, the mFT raw files can be noisy but the modern, DxO PL4, noise reduction tools make the noise a non-issue for me.

Whatever you buy, just enjoy it and take photographs :)

I had one. Always loved the output.

(Also loved my 40D as well)

Great camera, but be prepared to clean the sensor regularly.
No inbuilt clean function and it seems to attract dust like no other camera I've owned.
Also beware of the detaching mirror fault, not sure if it's still a free fix.
Later versions were deemed better, early models quite often had a Green tint thing going on.

Photos are excellent, but you might find it lacking features that are now the norm.

If you're happy with the lack of any tech you may have become accustomed to such as live view, decent sized screen with touch etc. Then I'm sure you'll love it. I bought one back in 2012, a late example that had the mirror issue fixed and I still have it now. Many cameras have come and gone but the 5Dc is one I won't let go of until it breaks. (I'll get a 6D when it does)

Partly why I love it is because it's so basic yet the images out of it can be astonishing. And if you think 40D colours are good...

Last edited:
Don't really need all the bells and whistles of the more modern gear I am just an amateur snapper
I will probably take a punt on one sooner rather than later

With such a low barrier of entry it'd be rude not to give one a go. Just try and get one with a late serial number if you can, something starting with 32 would be perfect.

I'm sure when you hear the shutter and undamped mirror fire off for the first time you'll crack a smile!

Sometimes called the classic or mk1
Is it worth buying in 2021?
I have recently sold all my mirrorless and micro 4/3rds gear and bought a minty 40d really like the colours, had one when they originally appeared
have an itch for full frame
mpb have 5d's for 150 to 220 should I take the plunge?

IMO. No. I don't see the point any more even if they're cheap.

The 5D was my last DSLR. Although at the time I thought I'd never want a better camera the bulk and weight always annoyed me and when MFT came along I bought a GF1 but I wasn't happy with back screen shooting so changed to a G1 and that camera convinced me that mirrorless was the future.

These days I have a Sony A7 and it just obliterates the old 5D. I also have a Panasonic GX80 and a GX9 and both are IMO better cameras than the 5D. Personally I think you're mad to have ditched MFT for the 40D but it's all choice and experience but nothing would convince me to go back to these old Canon DSLR's as mirrorless cameras and even MFT offer savings in bulk and weight, better resistance to sensor contamination, much more consistent and accurate focus without the front/back focus issues, the ability to focus accurately anywhere in the frame, face/eye detect which is IMO an absolute game changer, the ability to use high ISO's and better image quality. And the 5D is an absolute sensor contamination demon and you'll be forever cleaning it.

After saying all that. It's your choice, just one I wouldn't make.

Last edited:
The files they produce are special. AF is slow though.

I liked my 5D. I only had to clean the sensor once in several thousand shots.

It worked well with the Sigma 28-300, which is a much nicer lens than some people think. Basically made it into a very fast, full frame bridge camera...

Rescue helicopter demonstration at Dawlish 5D_two 9551.JPG
Seagull over Sidmouth Eos 5D IMG_3116.JPG
Boeing 737 over Exeter Eos 5D IMG_3178.JPG

Last edited:
Car in for service tomorrow
Depending on Bill may take a punt on one from MPB later in day
Even if I don't get on with it I should be able to move it on without loss

I've also not found the sensor cleanliness an issue. I've cleaned it once in 9 years of ownership.

I can't say I found it any worse for dust than other DSLRs I have owned.

This is one of my favourite photos taken with mine:

Canal Roundabout by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

Quick update
Going to look at a 6d plus battery grip tomorrow for not much more than an 'excellent' 5d at mpb

If you're thinking of a DSLR FF from that era consider the Nikon D700.

Something about the images you just can't get nowadays.

I have a Sony A7Rii now but still miss my D700.

Ok so bought the 6d
It's in reasonable used condition but to be honest I won't be hammering it
2 batteries and mieke grip will probably move the grip on
Took a few sample shots in garden
so far so good

No polarising filter just the lens unfiltered I don’t have a system that will fit and no filter thread as such Brentor

Well I had a gripped 5D and loved it so much that I upgraded to a new 5DII which is still my DSLR and from day 1 has been shot with a battery grip.

I've thought about adding a 5DI back into the fold in the same way that I've thought about an upgrade to a 5DIV: I've not yet done either but I recently acquired a 1DS which is probably my DSLR impulse purchase over with for another 12 months.

I'm sorry, what was the question again? If what you want is to try Full Frame, there are probably better (ie younger with higher spec) options available at similar prices. But if you want to ride the social media wave for "the classic Canon 5D first generation" then you have only one choice: how quickly can I get my hands on one. So either way, please keep us posted on what you do.

Well I had a gripped 5D and loved it so much that I upgraded to a new 5DII which is still my DSLR and from day 1 has been shot with a battery grip.

I've thought about adding a 5DI back into the fold in the same way that I've thought about an upgrade to a 5DIV: I've not yet done either but I recently acquired a 1DS which is probably my DSLR impulse purchase over with for another 12 months.

I'm sorry, what was the question again? If what you want is to try Full Frame, there are probably better (ie younger with higher spec) options available at similar prices. But if you want to ride the social media wave for "the classic Canon 5D first generation" then you have only one choice: how quickly can I get my hands on one. So either way, please keep us posted on what you do.

He bought a 6D last August ;)

I recently bought an orginal 5D, I've accumalated quite a bit of EF glass (using on late model 35mm film SLRs and adapted on a GFX), and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. A bit of searching and I picked up a late model 5D with 8K clicks and 12 months warranty. Having shot mirrorless for the last 10 years, it was actually quite nice to shoot with something without bells and whistles, it makes me think more. Not used it much yet but very happy with the output.

Tilled by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Open Goal by David Yeoman, on Flickr

210502 Hartford Fields 01 by David Yeoman, on Flickr

For me there is something pure (Raw maybe?) and honest about first generation models (and often they are built better than models that follow), and you can't beat a relatively large sensor with a low pixel count.

I'm not sure a 5D would make me think more in any positive way as I'd be thinking more about how to overcome its limitations and I can't see that as a positive. I can see the attraction of thinking more in that way with a metal tactile film camera and a nice manual lens but I don't really see that aspect with a large plastic DSLR and AF lens. There's the OVF I suppose but all in all I had 10 or 12 years with Canon DSLR's (the 5D was my last) and I just don't see any charm or attraction in them now, just limitations and them being big fat lumps. With newer cameras I think there's more to think about but in a good way as there are more creative and technical choices available or you can just stick them in auto if that's what you want and I see all that as good things not bad things. As always - Good luck to those who've never experienced DSLR's of that era and want to give one a try or who want to revisit them but frankly I'm glad to see the back of them :D

I suppose we're spoilt these days. My thoughts on the 5D went from thinking I'd never want a better camera through frustration and annoyance and on to thinking I'd never want to be limited by its spec and abilities again.

I'd take this combination every single time over a 5D.

KCey5Ec.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Back