Canon 5d4 battery drain.

I'm told by an electronics guy that while the older cameras/gadgets had simple processors. The newer all singing and dancing versions use an advanced processor (whatever it's called) that stays on and needs to draw a current for reasons I cant remember.
The newer ones do drainmore, mine do, my mates do and my good ladies does. My old 30d (used for exploring) doesn't, leave that 6 months no problems.

Aye they do drain more but nothing like this - and other owners of 5d4's report their drain is much more normal.

A company worth it's salt would honor the warranty and replace the camera. It's not fit for purpose.

Latest developments.

I bought a brand new LPE6 N fully charged it and put it in my 5d4 on July 16th, six days ago. It has been sitting on a shelf in my office since then completely switched off.

Battery charge is down to 51%!

Have you tired storing it without a lens on?

Have you tired storing it without a lens on?

That shouldn't make a difference and all that means is more dirt inside the camera as the lens comes off and on. I have 4 bodies and tend to seldom take the lenses off as I put my four most used ones on each body - and although I shoot Nikon I can leave some for weeks and the battery is where I left off.

Jeremys camera is fooked - they should give him a new one

Just a thought are you using a battery grip?
That shouldn't make a difference and all that means is more dirt inside the camera as the lens comes off and on. I have 4 bodies and tend to seldom take the lenses off as I put my four most used ones on each body - and although I shoot Nikon I can leave some for weeks and the battery is where I left off.

Jeremys camera is fooked - they should give him a new one

Yes it will, or can. If you read my earlier post you will know this as i experience huge battery drain with a certain combo. No, it’s not normal, but it happens, and there are many reports of various camera and lens combos causing abnormal battery drain.

Yes it will, or can. If you read my earlier post you will know this as i experience huge battery drain with a certain combo. No, it’s not normal, but it happens, and there are many reports of various camera and lens combos causing abnormal battery drain.
As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I recall hearing about a battery drain issue with a Canon EOS-3 film camera when stored fitted with the EF 28-135 IS lens. Apparently it could occur if the lens was fitted after the camera was turned off and it was not turned on again before storing it. In fact, a small noise from the lens can be heard after fitting it and turning the camera on, so it sounds like something small moves into place or engages/disengages. I hear the same noise when fitting this lens to my EOS 30 camera, but it doesn't need to be turned on, it does it as soon as the lens is fitted.

I still use my EOS-3 from time to time, and always make sure it's turned on and off after fitting a lens, regardless of which lens it is. I also do this with my other EOS 35mm SLRs and 6D just to be on the safe side. It doesn't sound like this is the issue with Jerry's camera, but I'm aware the phenomenon can occur.

Latest.

Spoke to someone at CPS this afternoon.

I agreed to return it and the battery to Canon (at their expense) for inspection and repair if possible. They say that any replacement under guarantee will have to be done through the retailer (HDEW). But if Canon say they can't repair it I don't see how HDEW can refuse to replace it.

I suggest anyone else having the same problem as me gets in touch with canon as well.

I recently had to have the top plate replaced on my 5D4. I was notified when it arrived and 3 days later notified it was in transit back to me. This is my only experience of sending anything off to them and I was impressed by their speed. I am a silver member of CPS which may have made a difference.

For @jerry12953 though, this issue/problem/fault must be extremely frustrating - I wasn't trying to belittle your experience by calling it an issue by the way, I just wanted to confirm that your camera's battery is definitely draining beyond my own cameras. Best of luck getting this sorted when your man returns on the 9th.

My same battery (reminder - started at 96% and 1 out of 3 on the recharge capacity) is now at 42% having been left in the camera for 8.5 days and used to take over 450 photos last night. This makes me think that there is no need to replace a battery just because the recharge capacity is only 1 out of 3. It is doing okay.

Be, my canon gear has been faultless so far, so i've little personal experience of canon CPS it's great to hear they do right by some, :)

My experience was hard for me,tis so much money,for a rep to nail a sale with a lie and then leave me hanging for a few weeks no lens what so ever is just not honorable. With the 400DOii being fairly niche they are not made in huge quantities. i'd done my homework knew UK stock levels, at the time of purchase. So when I was catgeorically told by the rep he could supply I questioned this through the local shop and was given cast iron assurance before stumping up my money. The local shop were great, Be, did everything they could, I can't speak highly enough of them. As I say not bitter the tools are wonderful ;)

These tools are not cheep we all deserve to be treated like you have: this thread shouldn't be here Jerry should have never have to have started it ,let alone have to fight to get an issue sorted. :(

Be(hop) sorry the reply is slow,bit busy of late.

stu

It's never that simple. Because I bought the 5d4 from HDEW (ie a grey importer), Canon will not repair it under guarantee. They will examine it but it will need to go back via HDEW to AJ Johnstone for repairs under HDEW's guarantee system. AJ Johnstone have already "repaired" it once......:thinking:

It's never that simple. Because I bought the 5d4 from HDEW (ie a grey importer), Canon will not repair it under guarantee. They will examine it but it will need to go back via HDEW to AJ Johnstone for repairs under HDEW's guarantee system. AJ Johnstone have already "repaired" it once......:thinking:

That’s where I take my gear too. Surprised there’s not a place a bit nearer you. Johnstones are decent :)

What......near Aberystwyth......?:LOL:

Joking aside, HDEW have an arrangement with AJJ to do all their guarantee repairs so I don't have a choice.

I think I'm going to send it back to Canon for examination. Bearing in mind that AJJ have "repaired" it once I'm not sure I trust them, despite your experience.

I had problems with my 5D3 from Hdew under warranty - it went off to Johnstones in Glasgow. It had bits in the viewfinder. I was happy with the service although they couldn't quite remove all of them. Whether or not Canon would have done any better, I'm not sure.

Joking aside, HDEW have an arrangement with AJJ to do all their guarantee repairs so I don't have a choice.

I think I'm going to send it back to Canon for examination. Bearing in mind that AJJ have "repaired" it once I'm not sure I trust them, despite your experience.

When I sent my D4 (DigitalRev) to them, they sent it on to Nikon UK for repair, might they send yours to Canon?

To be fair I’ve never had such a serious electrical fault as yours.

I’d say this. I’d be pushing HDEW to replace it.

When I sent my D4 (DigitalRev) to them, they sent it on to Nikon UK for repair, might they send yours to Canon?

To be fair I’ve never had such a serious electrical fault as yours.

I’d say this. I’d be pushing HDEW to replace it.

No, they've been quite clear - any repairs are done by AJJ. If they fail to fix it this time, it's a replacement (so they say).

I assume that it may still be the battery rather than the camera? If they do "repair" the camera, it would be interesting to know what the problem was. My 5D4 is still only draining at less than 0.5% a day after 15 days.

Dave

I didn't realise the camera was from HDEW, if it's not official UK stock I'm surprised that Canon UK would want anything to do with it? Fair play to them if they say they'll have a look at it for you.

Brand new battery.......
Yes but it could still be faulty; this type of battery includes some circuitry so not just a battery. Also are you certain it is not a fake? Did you also buy it from the grey importer? Anyway, I am sure Canon will let you know. I would suspect that Canon would like to know the cause as well; perhaps it is an issue they need to be aware of.

Dave

Update:

The 5d4 body went back to AJJ for repair and came back a couple of days later. At first it SEEMED like everything was fine at last but now I've finally had a chance to test it properly it is still losing charge at exactly the same rate as it did before the second "repair".

HDEW have asked me to send it back directly to them and it looks like they're going to replace it.

Back