Canon 5d4 trigger compatibility

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
My old cheapo Yongnuo triggers refused to work with my 5d4

Can anyone recommend something that will allow both a Speedlite 580EX and a Speedlite 580EX11 to work off camera

I also have a Yongnuo Speedlite flashYN560-11 but I dont hold up much hope for that as it wont sync with either Canon on or off camera hotshoe

thanks

Have you tried using the speedlite's in optical slave mode? If the flashes are close enough this can work well. Need to check the yongnuo does not fire with the canon pre-flashes though. I've recently sold mine so can't check - could be it has s1 and s2 slave modes to choose from I can't remember.

Cheers Tim great bit of advice

What led me to consider a new trigger as being the solution was because I could never get in the first instance the 580EX to also trigger the Yongnuo - however putting the latter into S mode I got them working together - without having to resort to triggers.

Makes me wonder if the Yongnuo triggers were the problem previously and removing them from the equation as I just trialled was the solution

It seems Canon deliberately hobbled the 5D4 such that many third party flash guns or triggers would either not work at all or became unreliable. I have 3 YN560 Speedlights, 1 x Mk2 and 2x Mk4 and they all work perfectly on or off my 5D2 and using the YN560 TX, for manual exposure use. When I need ETTL, I use YN622C (Mk1) transceivers and a TX along with Metz Speedlights, from a trawl around the web, it looks like both these systems will work with the 5D2 and 5D3, but not the 5D4. It would be interesting to know if the later R Series mirrorless cameras have similar issues with third party flash and triggers.

This is a link to an interesting article by a wedding photographer and his trials and tribulations using the 5D4 and quite a variety of systems, before ending up with Godox.

https://www.quora.com/What-3rd-part...le-money-on-a-dual-flash-system-for-OCF-slave

It seems Canon deliberately hobbled the 5D4 such that many third party flash guns or triggers would either not work at all or became unreliable. I have 3 YN560 Speedlights, 1 x Mk2 and 2x Mk4 and they all work perfectly on or off my 5D2 and using the YN560 TX, for manual exposure use. When I need ETTL, I use YN622C (Mk1) transceivers and a TX along with Metz Speedlights, from a trawl around the web, it looks like both these systems will work with the 5D2 and 5D3, but not the 5D4. It would be interesting to know if the later R Series mirrorless cameras have similar issues with third party flash and triggers.

This is a link to an interesting article by a wedding photographer and his trials and tribulations using the 5D4 and quite a variety of systems, before ending up with Godox.

https://www.quora.com/What-3rd-part...le-money-on-a-dual-flash-system-for-OCF-slave

Right, I moved to Godox too. Works perfectly.

Hi Andrew.

I use Hahnel Captur transmitter and receivers with my 5D mk4, working straight out of packet no problem.

Kevin

Cheers for this HarveyM - I emailed Canon and all they suggested was that I buy new flash units and their triggers

Tim and Kevin thanks for this information is there any specific model numbers I need to look for

Hi Andrew

No model number, just make sure they are Canon compatible (they also do a set for Nikon) Wex, LCE, etc sell them for £59.00 for 1 transmitter and receiver but you can buy
more receivers as required.

kevin

Snip:
It seems Canon deliberately hobbled the 5D4 such that many third party flash guns or triggers would either not work at all or became unreliable.

Probably nothing of the kind, Canon more than likely just tweaked something to improve performance with their latest Canon RT series Speedlites, which incidentally meant that some 3rd party flash units/accessoried no longer work, or work consistently.

This can also happen with 3rd party lenses - if a lens is fairly new and reasonably costly, then a good-quality third party manufacturer might issue a software update to fix this (sometimes requiring the lens to be sent back to them for reprogramming), but sometimes not, particularly if the lens is a few years old or the 3rd party kit design just isn't up to it.

Unfortunately, previously purchased 3rd party accessories not working with a new Canon/Nikon/Sony, etc. body is the risk people take for the money they've probably saved on buying third-party kit in the first place. You certainly can't expect a manufacture to hold back their own progress and camera functionality just to keep those that haven't been brand loyal happy. Like it or not, that's how it is, so you pays your money and takes your choice. (y)

Last edited:
I use a Yongnuo E3-RT trigger with my Canon 5D4 and my 600ex-rt and I purchased a receiver for my 430ex flash so that will also work with it - you would need the same for your 580ex.

E3-RT trigger: https://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-YN...&keywords=yongnuo+e3+rt&qid=1599683853&sr=8-3

Receiver: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yongnuo-Wi...+receiver&qid=1599684012&s=electronics&sr=1-4

If I was buying again I would also buy Godox but my Yongnuo trigger and the receiver works fine on the 5D4 for now.

YN ST-E3-RT works a charm with both Canon RT and YN RT compatible speedlights. I think it even has one pretty major advantage over Canon's own trigger.

This will clearly be no good with 580 series that have no radio comms. Personally I'd get them shifted in favour of something a little more modern if the intention is to use off camera.

The original 600EX-RT flash or the YN knockoffs aren't that expensive now. Keep in mind Canon has 2x more power and better colour output in real life.

Overall, this is a great option if you are mostly using the speedlight on camera and take it off sometimes, or perhaps you need small multiple lights...

-----

The other option is Godox. First the triggers. X1T is fine, but is slightly more fiddly. I think there is updated X2T now. XPRO is a step up and the one to get ideally.
Make sure not to make the mistake and order X1R which is a receiver unit.

X1R, for each Canon flash will enable them to work with Godox system. It's the quickest way in for you. But bare in mind this will add bulk, and the extra 4-5cm might make it not ideal for certain light modifiers.

A better all-round solution is getting a bunch of V1C or V860II-C speedlites to replace old ones. They are cheaper than Canons but more expensive than YN. I have no idea about output or quality. You can still use them on-camera as normal. Note, these are still camera brand specific just as the triggers.

A huge step up is AD200 battery powered lights, which are still very portable and reasonably light and retaining E-TTL. On camera option is gone unless you are very crafty and creative with brackets. Instead you get 4-5 more power, proper studio bulb and excellent light control options. From there it grows to much bulkier and expensive AD400 (or you can double up 2x AD200 with the 2 head adapter) and 600 series. These will work with just about any camera under the sun with the appropriate trigger.

You can obviously mix and match and buy your way in step by step.
If you require more power per head than single speedlite this is the only way to go.

I still have both systems at this point and I strongly favour Godox these days. I carry YN mostly as a backup only, or if I have to stick lights in very right spaces. At some point I think I'm going to let go my 2 remaining RT flashes and replace with one or two V860II.

Snip:

Probably nothing of the kind, Canon more than likely just tweaked something to improve performance with their latest Canon RT series Speedlites, which incidentally meant that some 3rd party flash units/accessoried no longer work, or work consistently.

This can also happen with 3rd party lenses - if a lens is fairly new and reasonably costly, then a good-quality third party manufacturer might issue a software update to fix this (sometimes requiring the lens to be sent back to them for reprogramming), but sometimes not, particularly if the lens is a few years old or the 3rd party kit design just isn't up to it.

Unfortunately, previously purchased 3rd party accessories not working with a new Canon/Nikon/Sony, etc. body is the risk people take for the money they've probably saved on buying third-party kit in the first place. You certainly can't expect a manufacture to hold back their own progress and camera functionality just to keep those that haven't been brand loyal happy. Like it or not, that's how it is, so you pays your money and takes your choice. (y)

That is a possible scenario, although an intentional tweak to improve a certain "function" can never be ruled out.

3rd party accessories now commonly feature USB port for firmware updates. It's always worth doing that and it may likely solve any and all compatibility issues. The trick is the support may stop quite soon for any older models and you are back to square 1. The mk1 Yn-600-EX-RT no longer gets the updates as far as I know. I'm not sure if that's an issue yet with any of the new models, but I wouldn't be surprised the day is coming.

That's why I'd much rather invest to independent units like AD200 where at most I'll have to throw away and replace the trigger and can easily use with other camera brands retaining the full functionality.

I still use yongnuo yn-622c-tx and with the 6Dmk2 initially got errors and wouldn't work. However as I've had the triggers quite a while, I checked and there was a firmware update for them that fixed things and all worked fine for me since. Not sure which triggers you were using?

Back