Canon 5Ds & 5Dr

ooops I appear to have purchased one of these today :) mrs will kill me when it arrives in 7 days but will be worth it ( I hope lol)

... but will be worth it ( I hope lol)
I think we all know that it probably won't, but that's OK - we won't tell her.

How's the buffer speed compared to the Sony A7rii? The a7r2 is slow now when shooting uncompressed raw and was wondering if it's quite slow on this camera too?

Hoping the 5d4 is around the 30mp mark with better dynamic range and Iso. Maybe cameras should come with build in storage as an option? What more if we start shooting at over 60mp? I don't think even cf cards can keep up

How's the buffer speed compared to the Sony A7rii? The a7r2 is slow now when shooting uncompressed raw and was wondering if it's quite slow on this camera too?

You should know, because I gave you the figures on AVF, the buffer on this camera is very good. ;)

I've not long stumbled across this Canon 5Ds/R thread, not many images posted I've noticed. Has there been any D810 users moved to the 5DsR I wonder and are you happy with the change ?

Are youse 5Ds/R shooters generally happy with the body now that it's out a year now etc...?

Regards;
Pete

......not many images posted I've noticed.
At web resolution then they're not going to look any different to a 5D3 at reasonably low iso....and worse at higher iso. 100% crops from 50 Mp are only going to show the shortcomings of the lens.

I...... Has there been any D810 users moved to the 5DsR I wonder and are you happy with the change ?
It's unlikely that anybody would admit to that.

Are youse 5Ds/R shooters generally happy with the body now that it's out a year now etc...?
For general stuff it's going to compare well with a 5D3 that's been given some of the disadvantages of a pixel crammed APS-C body. Stick a decent lens on it and then print big and it'll show off its skills.
Carry it to the top of a hill and frame the shot and I'll wish that I had the 645Z. Carry the 645Z to the top of the hill and I'll wish I'd only carried the 5DSR.

Bob

Isn't the 645Z a lot more money and it's lenses also compared to the 5DsR and lenses etc....?
The body is considerably more expensive, as are the new DA-645 lenses, but the legacy 645 and 67 lenses are excellent value.

Last edited:
Not too sure what you want, Peter, but if you're trying to judge detail then here's a JPG of the scene and then a 100% crop from the RAW .....EF8-15/4 1/40 at f/7.1 iso 200 hand held.
The 100% crop represents around 0.85% of the total image area.
If you want anything specific then I can get some shots over the weekend.
Bob
p1997262137.jpg

p2109564671.jpg

Very nice Bob, impressive ok. Be nice to view a variety of images shot with the 5DsR etc. Have you owned yours long Bob....?....is it your main camera...?

Cheers.

It's my more portable option, Peter, and I've had it for around 3 months (replaced a 5D3 with it) but I've also got a couple of 1Dx's, 1D4 and a Pentax 645Z.

When sensors passed the 15Mp mark it became more difficult to show of their merits and differences at web resolution and the limitations of browser colour reproduction....they're somewhat equalised.
Anything presented at 1000x 667 pixels is going to look pretty much the same in terms of initial resolution (the 5DSR's strength). We can judge high iso noise, dynamic range (to a certain degree), lens aberrations and distortion but it's only tight crops from raw files that'll set things apart (assuming that the lens is up to the task) for the 5DSR. At home on a decent, large, high-res monitor with a viewer offering less restricted colour gamut and the differences will become more obvious.

So, it doesn't compete with the 1Dx's for high iso or AF performance, it's doesn't compete with the Pentax for image quality overall (DR, colour reproduction and resolution after enlargement) and mirrors a 5D3 for most aspects when base level iso's are used. Pop an Otus on the front and things would probably become more obvious.

My 645Z setup is limited to about 24mm (FF equivalent) at the wide end but I can use the 5DSR down to 11mm (11-24/4) when it's needed. The Pentax system relies heavily on older lenses and they're playing catch-up. The newer D lenses are superb but, at £3k-5k a pop, it's rarely going to furnish an individual with a do it all system.

Bob

Here's another indication of available resolution for Peter. A quite unremakable shot of an old tractor.....5DSR, Zeiss 2/35 1/250 f/8 iso 200 and hand held. Shot in raw, no PP other than sharpening after conversion and resizing.
p2112294015-4.jpg

Here's a 100% look (cropped from the raw file) at the detail around the dropping headlight......it's possible to make out the embossed numerals on the partially hidden bolt head.

p2102827092.jpg

So are these rubbish then. I was going to do a direct trade with my low use 1Dx with a guy for a 5Dsr and a 24-105. I'm worried now.

So are these rubbish then. I was going to do a direct trade with my low use 1Dx with a guy for a 5Dsr and a 24-105. I'm worried now.
They're very different beasts and for very different usage.
I'm not sure that a 24-105 will do much for a 5DSR and the results from a zoom like that aren't going to be overly different from using it on something like a 5DMkII or MkIII

Bob

I'm looking at buying a 5DSR to replace my 5D mark II. I mainly shoot landcapes and birds in flight, at fairly low FPS, during the summer months. For lenses I have a 16-35mm f4L, 24-105mm f4L, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L mark I and a 50mm f1.4 I use for portraits occassionally.

The 5DSR seems to be the all rounder that I want on the face of it and the reviews I've read. I like the croppability for birds in flight, as I only have 400mm at the long end. I like the updated focus system from the 5D mark III and it adds focus point groups to that. It appears to have better dynamic range than my 5D mark II to recover some shadows. Yes it has limited FPS but I don't think this will be an issue for me.

To compliment the upgrade I'm thinking of changing to the mark II 100-400mm which performs better on the perceived megapixels rating that DXO Mark provide. This lens has other improvements, much more modern AF system and shorter minimum focus distance. I'd probably start using this lens for longer landscapes too. From all reports the 24-105mm isn't going to perform very well on this camera, I may look to swap it for a 70-200mm f4L in the future. For the birds in flight, this write up suggests the 5DSR and 100-400mm mark II work well together http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2015/07/23/the-canon-5ds-r-autofocus-torture-test

It looks like the 5D mark IV will be announced next month and for sale in autumn. Do people think I'm better off waiting for this?

Thanks,

Dan

Fed up with my 5DSr. Even at 1/400th of a second I struggle to get a sharp shot. On a tripod, with great light and perfect exposure at ISO 100 it's ridiculously good, the level of detail is almost unbelievable and colours are fabulous. Handheld in normal daily lighting conditions it's absolute rubbish. The worst carry around camera I've owned and not a patch on my 5D. Noise is insanely bad over 400 ISO unless your lighting and exposure are immaculate. AF is painfully slow.

Fed up with my 5DSr. Even at 1/400th of a second I struggle to get a sharp shot. On a tripod, with great light and perfect exposure at ISO 100 it's ridiculously good, the level of detail is almost unbelievable and colours are fabulous. Handheld in normal daily lighting conditions it's absolute rubbish. The worst carry around camera I've owned and not a patch on my 5D. Noise is insanely bad over 400 ISO unless your lighting and exposure are immaculate. AF is painfully slow.
Why did you buy it?

Oh dear, that's not a glowing review. I've taken the plunge and ordered mine now, it's arriving on Monday. I'm hoping to decent results hand held!

Has anyone else experienced the same?

I would not call it a stupid question after all you must have checked it out along with other cameras before you went for the 5dsr .

I like it but do find it helps to use twice the shutter speed than you would use on lower Mp cameras just to edge you bets so to speak on fast moving subjects .

Rob.

As you well know you can read review after review and they tell you nothing about real world use. I have not once seen anyone mention blurred photos in reviews. In fact many sites had difficulty in finding anything wrong with it.

Why did you buy it?
What a stupid question!
It wasn't intended to be a stupid question.

You've clearly bought something that isn't suitable for your needs. But I'm assuming that you must have done some research before spending around £3000 on a camera body, and that research must surely have indicated that it should be suitable for your needs.

So what went wrong? What were you expecting to be able to do with the camera, and why can't you? There could be any number of people out there mulling over whether or not to buy one of these, and your experience could help them avoid an expensive mistake.

It wasn't intended to be a stupid question.

You've clearly bought something that isn't suitable for your needs. But I'm assuming that you must have done some research before spending around £3000 on a camera body, and that research must surely have indicated that it should be suitable for your needs.

So what went wrong? What were you expecting to be able to do with the camera, and why can't you? There could be any number of people out there mulling over whether or not to buy one of these, and your experience could help them avoid an expensive mistake.
I've said it in a nutshell: quality is amazing, details amazing, razor sharp...all when the conditions are perfect. I would call it a studio camera. For handheld stuff I'd steer well clear my 5D3 was wayyyyy better with much better ISO, better noise handling, same DR and I could get sharp shots at 1/2 second handheld.

I recall an article recently where the pro user stated he was using shutter speeds of 200 plus to avoid soft images - Mainly put door portrait shots - personally I've found the results pretty sharp hand held from around 1/60 - I think it does have limited use though as I ended up buying a 1DX when the prices dropped for sport, action and where you need high ISO. That's not to say I didn't get some great sport and aviation shots with the 5Ds R, I just found the 5 Fps a bit sluggish and was lucky I had the cash when the 1DX came along.

Why do we get all this about the monster 5ds and 5dsr can't get a sharp picture due to 50mp but we don't hear the same complaints about the 7d2?

The fact is it is about pixel density and it is the same. Just imagine the 5ds/r is a 7d2 with additional coverage. Then you will see that the iq is great for what is essentially a sensor more similar to current gen crops than full frames.

I think the 5d4 will be immense and blow away anything canon has produced so far. Dreading the price tag, or the possibility that it will have useless features instead of outright iq improvements though!

Let's try to establish what's going wrong here.
You can get sharp images when you mount it on a tripod.....that implies that there's not an inherant problem with the sensor.
You struggle to get a sharp shot at 1/4000th. Assuming that you're not using an unstabilised super-tele with an extender then your shutter speed is way past that required in any normal situation so it's unlikely to be motion blurr unless you have an IS lens with an issue. If the lens is good then it's likely that the 'blurr' is caused by a focusing problem....have you tried numerous lenses?
Noise above iso 400.....yes, there is and that fact is well documented. Canon aimed the 5DSr at studio and landscape photographers and neither genre generally utilise higher iso settings.

The 5DMkIII is an excellent 'walkabout' camera whilst the 5DSr is really a niche product (more so than the 5DS)....it is for a different type of user and hence why it added something to the product line rather than replacing something (it's not a 5DMkIII replacement and was never intended to be)

I've said it in a nutshell: quality is amazing, details amazing, razor sharp...all when the conditions are perfect. I would call it a studio camera. For handheld stuff I'd steer well clear my 5D3 was wayyyyy better with much better ISO, better noise handling, same DR and I could get sharp shots at 1/2 second handheld.
"I would call it a studio camera"....so do Canon!
"my 5D3 was wayyyyy better with much better ISO, better noise handling"....and so it should be, the 5DSr was never intended to compete with the 5DMkIII in the noise/iso stakes.

It seems to me that you've bought the wrong body for your basic needs but there's still an issue to be resolved somewhere......if it performs on a tripod then it should perform in your hands (albeit with some required increase in shutter speed).

Bob

Last edited:
Let's try to establish what's going wrong here.
You can get sharp images when you mount it on a tripod.....that implies that there's not an inherant problem with the sensor.
You struggle to get a sharp shot at 1/4000th. Assuming that you're not using an unstabilised super-tele with an extender then your shutter speed is way past that required in any normal situation so it's unlikely to be motion blurr unless you have an IS lens with an issue. If the lens is good then it's likely that the 'blurr' is caused by a focusing problem....have you tried numerous lenses?
Noise above iso 400.....yes, there is and that fact is well documented. Canon aimed the 5DSr at studio and landscape photographers and neither genre generally utilise higher iso settings.

The 5DMkIII is an excellent 'walkabout' camera whilst the 5DSr is really a niche product (more so than the 5DS)....it is for a different type of user and hence why it added something to the product line rather than replacing something (it's not a 5DMkIII replacement and was never intended to be)

"I would call it a studio camera"....so do Canon!
"my 5D3 was wayyyyy better with much better ISO, better noise handling"....and so it should be, the 5DSr was never intended to compete with the 5DMkIII in the noise/iso stakes.

It seems to me that you've bought the wrong body for your basic needs but there's still an issue to be resolved somewhere......if it performs on a tripod then it should perform in your hands (albeit with some required increase in shutter speed).

Bob

I'd agree with Bob, sounds like there could be a lens issue or calibration issue- as said try a few different lenses handheld at an acceptable shutter speed - try it with both IS on and off-and have a close look at the results using your editing software - I used to use unsharp mask on most shots but don't always need to bother with the Ds r

Back