Canon 5Ds & 5Dr

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
Caught my eye on Photo rumours this morning the specs of the new 5D's by Canon that will be released next week apparently, with 50mp sensor!!

50.6MP full frame CMOS sensor
There will be also a EOS 5DS R version that will be without low-pass filter
Magnesium alloy body, dust and water sealed
Dual processor DIGIC6
Regular sensitivity: ISO 100-6400
Continuous shooting 5 frames / sec.
High precision 61 AF points
EOS iTR AF
150,000 pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
New "fine detail" picture style
1.3x and 1.6x crop modes
Customizable "Quick Control Screen"
Time-lapse movie
Interval Timer
Bulb timer

http://photorumors.com/2015/01/30/t...-eos-5ds-r-full-frame-dslr-camera/#more-66532

/me looks at 4 month old 5DIII...:thinking:

The rumors of this using a sony sensor will be the game changer if its true.. both big brand using sony tech the difference will be more minimal. As for 50mp I know ive had issues using 36 in shooting and editing can see lots being sold and lots getting sold used soon after like the d800.

Just saw that. It sounds very interesting especially with the crop modes of 1.3 and 1.6x. I like the sound of it already.

So do I but have a nasty feeling my finances definitely won't!

It's a rumour and clearly this is more about marketing numbers for now. Until someone gets hands on and reviews it's mostly hot air. If it's sensibly priced and outperforms a 5DIII then we all have to start saving :eek:

Last edited:
They are overdue an answer to the resolution of the D8x0 and A7 range, and there's no doubt working with Sony for the sensors will make a lot of people happy. But the upper ISO limit of 6400 does seem a bit odd, given both the Nikons and Sony go higher. False specs, false sony-sensor rumour or some other reason? The gold 5Ds also looks more like a Nikon style choice.

My guess is that after the next round of updates, we're going to be looking at:

1DX mk II - Largely incremental but with new sensor that bumps up both the max ISO and the resolution in to the mid 20s without a loss in fps. (or they're do a A7s, and keep a low resolution for really a high ISO)
5Ds - 50mp in a 7DII body, with and without AA versions
5DIV - A 7D2 but with a 28-30mp full frame sensor, and ~7fps
6DII - Full frame in the 70D body

50mp?!

No thanks!

I can see sales of external HDDs going through the roof if this is true :)

/me looks at 4 month old 5DIII...:thinking:
sounds like it could spell big discounts on the 6D and 5D mk3, could be great for anyone wanting to get a new full frame present!

Why? The 5DS doesn't compete with the 5D3, it's a different camera for a different purpose. The 5D4 will be the successor to the 5D3.

Realistically if this comes to fruition, this is targeted at Landscape shooters (looking at the time lapse and bulb time features) and studio/portraiture shooters based on the ISO range, to be honest I don't need anything that this body offers unless it's ISO6400 is crystal clear of noise which I personally doubt...

The only reason I'd change body from my 5D3 is to get access to even better noise performance at higher ISO and right now the only option is 1DX on canon and I'm not in the market for that yet...

If these come out I still see not long after or even at the same time a 5D4 being launched with a max of 30mp sensor but massive ISO improvement

The only reason I'd change body from my 5D3 is to get access to even better noise performance at higher ISO and right now the only option is 1DX on canon and I'm not in the market for that yet...

If these come out I still see not long after or even at the same time a 5D4 being launched with a max of 30mp sensor but massive ISO improvement
Ditto - Not really interested in the extra mega pixels.
Like you, I've got my fingers crossed the 5D4 is going to give me super crisp shadows at ISO 6400+, definitely one of the few weaknesses I regularly seem to bump into with my 5DIII. Some more DR would also be appreciated.
If the 5D4 does have these I'll be at the front of the queue :)

Like you, I've got my fingers crossed the 5D4 is going to give me super crisp shadows at ISO 6400+, definitely one of the few weaknesses I regularly seem to bump into with my 5DIII. Some more DR would also be appreciated.

Exactly for me it's a case of nice high ISO performance for long exposures :) and yes a further improvement to DR would be nice too

50mp?!

No thanks!

I can see sales of external HDDs going through the roof if this is true :)

Yes AND faster / bigger cards etc......do we really need 50mp for the majority of our shooting.

My 6D is all I need for full frame and with the 7dII makes my ideal combo......hands staying firmly in pockets......until the 5DIII drops in price :rolleyes:

I will be watching them with interest. 50MP will be great as long as they perform a bit more like MF rather than 7D sensor extended. Clean shadows and higher recoverable DR would be a big win. I am also hoping for fully weathersealed body, bigger size or at least same as 5DIII. Any smaller and they can keep it.

The 5D IV also sounds interesting. Probably the one with best IQ in the range of ISO 100-1600 and cleanest shadows will be the one. 30MP is also fine.

U
ISO 100-6400? Not much of an improvement there considering the current one goes to 25,600. I think I'd rather have better High ISO than all those pixels

All forms of high ISO comes at the cost of increased noise - this is a fact of physics and if Canon do produce a 50MP camera, even with a 1.3 crop factor, the increased density of the photodiodes means a smaller signal from them which means increased noise.

Of course offsetting that slightly is the increased picture size which when reduced will help to reduce the perceived noise in much the same way as the 7D2 does.

ISO 100-6400? Not much of an improvement there considering the current one goes to 25,600. I think I'd rather have better High ISO than all those pixels

Considering ISO6400 is pretty unusable on 5D3 and D800, I would welcome a cleaner max ISO6400. I am sure there will be expansions, but they are useless to anyone but journalists and alike.

Considering ISO6400 is pretty unusable on 5D3 and D800, I would welcome a cleaner max ISO6400. I am sure there will be expansions, but they are useless to anyone but journalists and alike.

Harsh, I think.

I may be wrong and time will tell but I'd guess that even if we take a worst case scenario and this camera shows no improvement in Canon technology and has an upscaled 7D type technology chip as long as you expose to the right or at least don't boost the exposure post capture the high ISO's will be perfectly usable for many people wanting to view on screen or on social media and even for quite largish prints of, say... A4? Even my lowly Panasonic GX7 can take ISO 25,600 pictures that look ok when viewed normally and I'd be utterly shocked if this latest Canon can't at least match it.

Calm down and wait and see... :D

With over twice the pixels of a 5D3 I'd imagine the pixel-level noise at any given ISO is going to be significantly worse, but then once you resize down to the same size...

6400 is fine on the 5d3 IMO, even better on 6d which doesn't even break a sweat.

Last edited:
Yeah 6400ISO is as high as I really want to push the 5D3 but, with an f/1.4 lens, you can almost shoot in the dark! Very useful for late night wedding discos :)

I would have said 3200 is the highest sensible setting. At 6400 you want a really well exposed image, and even then the quality nose dives far more than going 3200 from 1600.

But then I can see a much greater problem. So it looks like we'll get a much larger version of 7D II sensor... which is OK, but not revolutionary. More pixels, less colour accuracy and somewhat less DR than 5D3. I don't think I have many lenses that will resolve 50MP. Perhaps 100mm L and Sigma 35 Art may get close, but the rest - I think 5D3 is near the limits. It is interesting if removal of AA filter will make things better. Maybe. But for now I am perhaps leaning towards 5DIV or a used 1DX.

Yeah 6400 is the real upper limit I think, only when absolutely necessary and flash isn't an option.

Frankly I think you'll have a long wait especially if the crop factor is taken into account.

With more than double the pixel count squeezed into a much smaller space the noise and DR levels will almost certainly suffer unless Canon comes up with some really clever tricks.

And though I prefer shooting with JPEGs I would imagine the quality will fall drastically as it has on the 6D where the use of fairly aggressive NR (even when supposedly off) can result in fine detail such as bushes turning into a kind of "mush" leaving only the larger branches visible.

Looks like I'll be keeping my 1Ds MkII for a time yet.
'

And though I prefer shooting with JPEGs I would imagine the quality will fall drastically as it has on the 6D where the use of fairly aggressive NR (even when supposedly off) can result in fine detail such as bushes turning into a kind of "mush" leaving only the larger branches visible.

Looks like I'll be keeping my 1Ds MkII for a time yet.
'

1Ds mkII produces lovely files when edited properly, but to be honest 5D3 has a slight edge in resolution and dynamic range. You really have to shoot RAW every time to make the most of any dSLR. JPEGs are throwing away tons of data. Its a waste IMHO. Canon JPG and video compression are particularly horrible (but I have no idea about others...)

Some more specs put on canonwatch. Would the m-raw at 28mp change the iso performance over the 50mp?

That would probably just throw away half the pixels like current M-RAWs do. Hardly any advantage at all.

I see it won't have 4K video, certainly not without ML hack. I want at least one body to have 4K (RAW?) with dual pixel AF (that is a must).

That would probably just throw away half the pixels like current M-RAWs do. Hardly any advantage at all.

I see it won't have 4K video, certainly not without ML hack. I want at least one body to have 4K (RAW?) with dual pixel AF (that is a must).

Ah right, not much point at all then. I wonder if the 5dmk4 will come with 4k. Its about time canon got going, if Panasonic can do 4k on the gh4 and Samsung on their new cam why can't canon do it at a sensible price point.

if Panasonic can do 4k on the gh4 and Samsung on their new cam why can't canon do it at a sensible price point.

This is key. They need you to buy C300 / C100 whatever... But even if they do, compressed 8bit output may still look worse than proper 1080p. Stock 5D3 only really outputs upscaled 720p

Press release has been leaked on canonwatch.com

Canon revolutionises resolution with the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS RLondon, UK, 6 February 2015 – Canon today transforms the EOS system with the arrival of the EOS 5DS and the EOS 5DS R – a new breed of ultra-high resolution full-frame DSLRs.

Breaking the boundaries of 35mm sensors,the new cameras offer the highest megapixels ever seen in a full frame sensor, an astonishing 50.6MP. Delivering unparalleled quality, the cameras provide an exceptional combination of resolution, responsiveness and durability, whether shooting landscapes, architecture, high fashion or portraiture, either personally or professionally. When nothing but the sharpest image is expected, the EOS 5DS R also features a low pass cancellation filter to maximise the sensor’s resolution and visible image quality.Alongside the new DSLRs, Canon also introduces the EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, the world’s widest-angle rectilinear zoom lens(1), the perfect companion for landscape and architecture photographers.
Establishing new standards for full-frame DSLRsSetting a new benchmark for full-frame cameras, the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R combine fast, instinctive DSLR handling with the newly-developed 50.6MP CMOS sensor, providing the flexibility to shoot a wide range of scenes and subjects, making it ideal for large format mediums, such as advertising billboards and magazine covers, where every pixel matters. The sensor’s advanced architecture provides

ISO 100-6400 sensitivity, further expandable to 50-12800, ensuring high quality images with low noise, accurate colours and wide dynamic range. For added flexibility, the cameras’ resolution enables three new in-camera crop shooting modes–1.3x, 1.6x and 1:1. Visible through the viewfinder, the crop modes deliver outstanding results, with stills at 19 MP even when cropped to 1.6x. Built to withstand the most demanding shoots, the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R’s dual DIGIC 6 processors provide the rapid performance and responsiveness required to deliver first-class images with exceptional colour reproduction. Both processors are designed to comfortably manage huge levels of image data from the 50.6MP sensor, whilst simultaneously reducing image noise and providing the freedom to shoot at five frames per second.

Automatically exceptional
Created to ensure every detail of your exquisite landscape or high-fashion studio shoot is in focus, the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS Rfeature an advanced 61-point AF system, with 41 cross-type points, delivering incredible levels of image sharpness and accuracy across the frame. Both cameras comfortably maintain focus with moving subjects, using EOS Intelligent Tracking and Recognition AF (iTR) to track both faces and colour. To reduce image blur, Canon’s Mirror Vibration Control System uses cams to drive the cameras’ mirror up and down in a highly controlled fashion, avoiding all sudden stops and softening the shutter-release sound. Additionally, the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R’s 150k pixel RGB+IR metering sensor with Flicker Detection ensures images can be captured with consistent and accurate exposures under varying lighting scenarios, including florescent.
Incredible detail and unrestricted creativityPutting unrivalled image quality at your fingertips, the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R include a number of customisable modes and settings to ensure stunning results every time. A new Fine Detail Picture Style maximises the level of detail that can be achieved from the sensor, enabling advanced sharpness adjustment without the need for edit ing software. Popular creative modes, including Multiple Exposure and HDR, provide instant, in-camera creativity, while a built-in timer allows you to shoot over long periods and create stunning time lapse videos, without being tied to the camera or needing advanced software and excessive kit.

First-class professional construction, customisable featuresThe EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R have been expertly constructed to allow you to operate quickly, regardless of the environment you’re shooting in. The 100% viewfinder with electronic overlay makes framing vital shots easy and can be customised to your preferred style. The large, 8.11cm (3.2”) Clear View II LCD screen, with an anti-reflective structure, minimises reflection or glare when reviewing shots and also acts as a visual and accessible dashboard of the most commonly used settings. The cameras’ new Custom Quick Control screen means that the type, size and position of icons are also easily customisable to the user or shooting scenario. Both cameras utilise Canon’s iconic design DNA–a highly durable body constructed from high-grade magnesium alloy to provide weather resilient shooting – ideal for landscape photographers who are dedicated to getting the perfect shot, whatever the weather.

EOS 5DS R:
Engineered for the ultimate in DSLR image qualityWhen nothing but the absolute maximum level of detail possible will do, the EOS 5DS R features a low pass cancellation filter to ensure the sharpest possible results. Great for landscape photographers, where patterns are very often organic, the camera’s low pass cancellation filter produces the stunning level of detail required to turn agreat shot into an incredible shot.

Optical Expertise:
Introducing the EF 11-24mm f/4L USMThe EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R are compatible with Canon’s extensive EF lens range, spanning 71 models(2). Today Canon unveils the world’s widest-angle retilinearzoom lens (1), the EF 11-24mm f/4L USM. Perfect for photographers shooting landscape and architecture, the EF 11-24mm f/4L USM is designed to open up an entirely new world of creative opportunities, thanks to its super wide 11-24mm focal range. Boasting a newly designed optical structure, the lens features three aspherical lenses including a ground aspherical element, which maximises image quality and delivers minimal levels of distortion, while the body is rugged and robust enough to be employed in extreme weather conditions.

EOS 5DS Key features:

• 50.6 MP CMOS sensor with dual DIGIC 6 processors
  • 150K Pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor
  • Up to 5.0 Frames Per Second
  • 61-point AF
  • Cropped Shooting
EOS 5DS R also includes:
  • Low-pass cancellation filter

That looks like a landscape and studio dream.

I've been waiting for the 5d4 for a while now and hoping it would cover my occasional wildlife needs too but I'm not sure the S is going to cover it for me. Might have to wait for the mark 4 which is supposedly later in the year...

I am confused to why they would release 3 variants of the same camera tbh...

Back