Canon 5DS battery query.

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently bought a used but mint 5DS. It came with a generic LP-E6 2500mAh battery which lasts no time at all, but maybe the battery is shot. However for a short time it does at least work.
I've got two other generic LP-E6 batteries and the camera doesn't recognise either of them, all I get is the flashing 'no battery' alert on the top LCD. One of these two batteries is 1400mAh, the other is 1600mAh. Both of them worked fine in a 5D3, quite recently.
I've had a trawl of the 'net and as far as I can tell the 5DS (and SR) should work on the same batteries as the 5D3.
Am I missing something?
Many thanks for any info.

Even the latest Canon LP-E6Nh isn't rated at 2500mAh so I suspect that the battery you have is one of those cheap Chinese rubbish things that they love to overhype with high mAh ratings and has probably failed.

If you can't afford genuine Canon batteries then I would suggest getting Duracell LP-E6N. I have 4 of them and they last just as long as my genuine Canon one. They are rated at 2000mAh.

There are also the older LP-E6 which may be a bit cheaper and they are rated at 1600mAh. (Ignore the title here. This is not LP-E6N)

The 2500mAh one, which came with the body, does indeed look like the cheapest of knock-offs, but it is the only one which works. The other two lower mAh ones are copies but they have always worked in a 5D3. I did see the Duracell ones on my web travels, good to have a recommendation for them. It looks like a problem with the body then, so back it goes.

It could be due to the fact that these generic batteries don’t have a chip in them to communicate to the camera. There are work around so you could try google.

The 2500mAh one, which came with the body, does indeed look like the cheapest of knock-offs, but it is the only one which works. The other two lower mAh ones are copies but they have always worked in a 5D3. I did see the Duracell ones on my web travels, good to have a recommendation for them. It looks like a problem with the body then, so back it goes.

If the camera is working with the 2500mAh battery albeit for only a short time, that would suggest that the camera is working but the batteries you have are all shot. 2 gone completely with the third on it's way out.

I had some cheap LP-E6 batteries for my 6D. One of them was actually Calumet branded, came with the camera brand new when I got it from the store. This was the first to die. I've had another that although it worked, it just didn't last very long. I had a high capacity one that did last longer but just before I sold my 6D decided that it would cease to be recognised by the camera. So the camera couldn't read the chip in the battery and therefore couldn't tell you the remaining charge.
You do take a risk with the cheap batteries, the chip in the battery can be poor quality, their charge doesn't last as long between charges, or their life-span isn't as long.
I found that a couple of mine didn't show up as LP-E6 in the menu either, so that would suggest the chip wasn't encoded properly. I'd suggest borrowing a genuine LP-E6 from someone to try out the camera as that will prove whether it's a battery or camera fault. It's far more likely to be a battery problem though.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I'll try a real Canon battery in it and see how that goes.

Sorry you've had this problem. I looked through a box of a 5DMk11 I'd had for a number of years and noticed there was an unused battery in there.
I thought great! but it wouldn't even charge. They must deteriorate in time. I have bought quite a lot of spares ones off ebay and never had issues.

To store batteries over a long term, I think they need to be stored at 60% charge.

Sorry you've had this problem. I looked through a box of a 5DMk11 I'd had for a number of years and noticed there was an unused battery in there.
I thought great! but it wouldn't even charge. They must deteriorate in time. I have bought quite a lot of spares ones off ebay and never had issues.

The issue with Li-Ion batteries is that charging them when they are below a certain voltage makes them unstable so they have a protection device that fails when the voltage of the battery drops below that safe voltage, essentially disabling the battery so you can’t charge them.

To store batteries over a long term, I think they need to be stored at 60% charge.

Correct. Generally around half charge so 40-60% is recommended.

Back