Canon 600D Official Owners Thread - Anything 600D Related

simonmoran said:
Typically how much do the 18-55mm kit lens go for second hand. Really want the Tamron 17-50 vc but would need to part fund by selling my kit lens. Typically are they hard to sell (given I would imagine there are quite a few of these knocking about)

Not too bad to sell, sold mine for around £60 a few months ago.

Not too bad to sell, sold mine for around £60 a few months ago.

I was checking prices recently, last 2 IS kit lenses in the classifieds sold for £40 and £50 including delivery respectively. £40 being the most recent I saw.

Hi guys

Ive just read the last 15 pages of this thread :puke: ......Ive just bought (well 2weeks back) the 600d from curry's at just over £400 with 18-55 kit lens, 2 battery's, 2 16gb cards and a remote (y)
Got to say so far im liking the camera alot......last one i had was the 400d but was forced to sell when money troubles got in the way :thumbsdown: but now im back snapping.
I bought secondhand the EFS 18-135 IS lens for a general walkabout lens and got to say im liking the results....even found it plenty useable at the local motorsports track shooting drift cars in action.
I know im far from good but the basics are there and im enjoying it :cool:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91646561@N05/8334709320/

I was checking prices recently, last 2 IS kit lenses in the classifieds sold for £40 and £50 including delivery respectively. £40 being the most recent I saw.

Excellent thanks, about what I was expecting. I also have £40 to come from the canon cash back promotion so combined that should help to bring down the cost of a Tamron 17-50 that I want.

simonmoran said:
Hello all

Picked up one of these just before Xmas along with the 50mm 1.8 and the kit lens. Loving playing about with it so far but I'm wondering what's the next logical upgrade to the 18-55 kit lens. I would maybe like something that's a touch wider but offering greater sharpness than the kit lens.

You might want to check out the Canon 17-55 2.8. Its pricey but worth it. I love mine.

Milligan said:
Would have thought you've got all the bases covered there, and perhaps a little more overlap than is necessary?:)

You have 6 medium quality lenses with over lapping coverage. If I was in that situation I would sell a few of them and buy a higher quality walk around lens. 17-55 2.8 is what I use and would recommend. Not sure what you like to shoot but if walk around is not your thing than perhaps a nice portrait lens would do. Point is there are to many lenses doing basically the same thing in your kit (IMHO). Hope this helps.

Which twin kit did you go for? They have a few different combos on there.

Sorry for late reply, been busy...

I got the EF-S 18-55mm IS II & EF-S 55-250mm IS II kit lenses. both pretty good for starters but a few months down the line and I am looking to replace both of them.

Initial thoughts are a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II and maybe a Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8.

I'll probably sell the 18-55 kit lens when I have these but not expecting much for it looking at at other posts on this thread (seems around £40 is the going rate).

Oh and eventually a 10-20mm lens and a long zoom too but I'll stick with the 55-250 for now.

The Canon one will probably be the first candidate as it's a lot cheaper and I have a holiday to save for first lol...

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the reply. I'll watch out for your kit lens when it's time to sell, might take it off your hands.

Has anyone used either the 35mm or 85mm Samyang 1.4 lenses with the 600d? How did you get on focusing it with the small viewfinder?

I'm also thinking they might be good for video in which case the live view can be used but I'm primarily concerned with viewfinder focusing.

I have a question regarding the 600D - is there a feature to fine-tune the autofocus? I've read that some cameras have this feature but can't find it on mine

I have a question regarding the 600D - is there a feature to fine-tune the autofocus? I've read that some cameras have this feature but can't find it on mine

No, it only appears on a limited number of (higher end) bodies, the 600D doesn't have it.

No, it only appears on a limited number of (higher end) bodies, the 600D doesn't have it.

Hmm, shame. Although I realise it's an 'entry level' camera, I'm quite surprised it doesn't have this (rather useful) feature. :crying:

Hmm, shame. Although I realise it's an 'entry level' camera, I'm quite surprised it doesn't have this (rather useful) feature. :crying:

I wouldn't call it an entry level camera, in the Canon range they would be the 1100D etc. I suppose Canon keep certain features like that for the higher range as a way of differentiation.

Sorry for late reply, been busy...

I got the EF-S 18-55mm IS II & EF-S 55-250mm IS II kit lenses. both pretty good for starters but a few months down the line and I am looking to replace both of them.

Initial thoughts are a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II and maybe a Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8.

I'll probably sell the 18-55 kit lens when I have these but not expecting much for it looking at at other posts on this thread (seems around £40 is the going rate).

Oh and eventually a 10-20mm lens and a long zoom too but I'll stick with the 55-250 for now.

The Canon one will probably be the first candidate as it's a lot cheaper and I have a holiday to save for first lol...

FWIW, I recently did an upgrade from the 450d with those two kit lenses to a 650d with Canon 15-85 and 70-300 IS USM.

The other weekend I spent an hour or so doing some comparative testing. It was interesting!

The big difference was between the 450d and 650d - the IQ of the 650d was much, much better. The IQ of the two new lenses were better than the kit ones but not by that much - certainly not 'twice the price' better. I was really surprised by how well the 4-year old kit lenses did.

(BTW I settled on the 650d after a long period mulling whether to go for that or the 60d. Online reviews put the IQ and frame rate of the two very much the same. In the end, and after some time handling both at Jessops (RIP) I concluded that the slightly better viewfinder and top LCD of the 60d weren't worth the extra money and extra weight. So far I'm very happy with my decision.)

Brian

Thanks Brian very interesting. It's not always about spending money on glass then, worth investing in a new body every so often!

Hi guys...

Just thought I would join the thread, as I too, got a 600d for Christmas (little treat!). I've also got two kit lenses, 18-55mm and 55-250mm. I'm sure they're great lenses and you can get some really nice shots from them...I think it's just that I seem to be bad at taking a good shot ;)

Also thinking about getting my first prime lens, either a 35mm or 50mm 1.4. Are ideas which would be best for the budget of around £250-280?

Hoping to get more involved here as time goes on.

Thanks.

Also thinking about getting my first prime lens, either a 35mm or 50mm 1.4. Are ideas which would be best for the budget of around £250-280?

Hoping to get more involved here as time goes on.

Thanks.

If you want a more general purpose lens, (like you would have got from a 50mm on a full frame or film camera) consider the 28 or 35mm lens.

If you want something longer, (80mm equivalent on a full frame or 35mm film camera) then consider the 50mm. It will be more useful as a head and shoulders portrait lens and outdoor use, it is quite handicapped for use in the average sized room in a house.

If you want a more general purpose lens, (like you would have got from a 50mm on a full frame or film camera) consider the 28 or 35mm lens.

If you want something longer, (80mm equivalent on a full frame or 35mm film camera) then consider the 50mm. It will be more useful as a head and shoulders portrait lens and outdoor use, it is quite handicapped for use in the average sized room in a house.

Well, I really want something that will be both helpful outdoors for some landscape shots, but also will take nice 'of interest' shots with really nice bokeh in the background (I REALLY hate that term!).

Would the 35mm or 50mm be more appropriate, would you say?

It sounds like you need a zoom lens to cover all bases Mike rather than a prime.

Well, I really want something that will be both helpful outdoors for some landscape shots, but also will take nice 'of interest' shots with really nice bokeh in the background (I REALLY hate that term!).

You have got the 18-55, take it and try the focal lengths you are considering. Tape it at the 50mm setting and walk around and use it for a few hours or a day, do the same at the 28mm or 35mm setting and see which you prefer.

But a lens generally accepted as "best" for landscapes (if there really is such a thing) would be a wider angle zoom. Perhaps keep your 18-55 as it is a competent performer and look at a 10-20 or similar zoom.

mikebeecham said:

Both lenses you mentioned are not landscape lenses. You will need a much wider lens for landscapes like 17 or wider. I have a 17-55 and it works well although I want a 10-22 but that's a e-fs lens and I will be going full frame down the road. That means I won't be able to use it on my new camera. If I was you I would give the lenses you have a little more time to see what you like to shoot and what focus length will be the most useful for you.

hi all, i'm new to the forum but thought i'd post here as i have a 600d. I actually had a 550d until recently but swapped with my mother who never used her 600d and i love it. i was silly and cracked the display screen last weekend so i need to get that fixed :(
just purchased a sigma 30mm f1.4 lens which is lush. also have the 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm f1.4 and an old 70-300mm lens from my parents film camera days.
looking to get a underwater case for when i go scuba diving as well.
started experimenting with video making but every time i go to film it automatically stops after 5 seconds. battery is full and memory card empty so not sure what is going on there...

Sounds like you have it set on video snapshot.
Turn top dial to movie mode then go into menu
Choose second tab and at the bottom of that screen you should see video snapshot. It should be disabled for you to shoot movie of your own choice dependant in space on card.

Last edited:
hi all, i'm new to the forum but thought i'd post here as i have a 600d. I actually had a 550d until recently but swapped with my mother who never used her 600d and i love it. i was silly and cracked the display screen last weekend so i need to get that fixed :(
just purchased a sigma 30mm f1.4 lens which is lush. also have the 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm f1.4 and an old 70-300mm lens from my parents film camera days.
looking to get a underwater case for when i go scuba diving as well.
started experimenting with video making but every time i go to film it automatically stops after 5 seconds. battery is full and memory card empty so not sure what is going on there...

Does it take 5 seconds for the rabbit to jump out of the box?:bonk:

I can take a look at it if you want.

Sounds like your memory card isn't fast enough. Get yourself a good quality Class 6 or higher card for video, I recommend the Sandisk Extreme Class 10 cards for video.

Try here for a good price and use code VC5 for some extra discount.

anitacv - i think that might be the problem, will take a look when I get home later.
lights out - i've only had the lens for 24 hours but so far so good. managed to take a few snaps in the garden after work last night and the results were lovely, think it might become my go to lens as the focal length is perfect for the portrait / fashion style pictures I like to take.
ww - i'll bring it into work if i can't figure out what's wrong
csb - my memory card is class 10 so i think it's a problem with the settings

Hi all,

I am awaiting delivery of my new 600D.
I have just found this forum and become a member but now I am reading the posts it seems to have been very quiet since April.
Do you all still post on here or has another forum been started?

Back later when my kit turns up.

ATB,
Steve. :)

Hi Steve
I'm sure you'll enjoy your new camera. It might be worth posting here if you have any questions about 600d. Hopefully other owners may be able to help.
Don't know about anyone else but I have subscribed to this thread so that I get notified if any new posts appear, but like you say nothing happening recently.
Welcome.

Hi all I too am the proud owner of the 600D on which sits a very nice Canon EFS 18-200mm zoom lens, all I have to do now is learn how tom use it to get some impressive results.

Hi. Hope you enjoy new camera and we get to see some of results

got my 600d a month ago paid £499.99 from currys with 18-55mm plus 75-300mm nice camer just got to get used to it

Back