Canon 600D Official Owners Thread - Anything 600D Related

Sorry Neil, Tony has pm'd me his addy and I'll be posting it tomorrow.
It's worth a read if you are a beginner though as it explains and expands on the manual.

it was worth a shot i guess, thank you Richard for your reply.
Cheers.

Yes the lens had to have the hood mounted backwards to fit. I have more kit now so don't use this bag. Always buy a bag slightly bigger because you will out grow it lol

I was talking to the guys at the local pro shop about bags and they told me always remember "there is no perfect bag and you will end up with a bunch of them before your done". One guy said he had 8 of them and the other guy 7. I have 3 but I don't like the last one I bought. The one that I really like is the lowpro flip side 300 backpack. Light, small but has plenty of room and most of all it is comfortable.

shaylou said:
I was talking to the guys at the local pro shop about bags and they told me always remember "there is no perfect bag and you will end up with a bunch of them before your done". One guy said he had 8 of them and the other guy 7. I have 3 but I don't like the last one I bought. The one that I really like is the lowpro flip side 300 backpack. Light, small but has plenty of room and most of all it is comfortable.

I had 3 bags as well. A Lowepro Flipside 400, Lowepro Nova 170 and a Lowepro Nova 200.

I sold the Flipside and bought the Nova's as I have a bad back and although it was comfortable I couldn't carry it with all my gear in.

The Nova 170 is a great bag for travelling light.
It fit my 600D with 17-55 attached and had room for the 70-200 f4 next to it and some filters and stuff in the pockets. I hope the 5D2 fits as well but I have a feeling I won't be able to fit the 70-200 in.

I use the Nova 200 to store all my other lenses and stuff and when I need to take that stuff then I'll take it out.

Last edited:
I had 3 bags as well. A Lowepro Flipside 400, Lowepro Nova 170 and a Lowepro Nova 200.

I sold the Flipside and bought the Nova's as I have a bad back and although it was comfortable I couldn't carry it with all my gear in.

The Nova 170 is a great bag for travelling light.
It fit my 600D with 17-55 attached and had room for the 70-200 f4 next to it and some filters and stuff in the pockets. I hope the 5D2 fits as well but I have a feeling I won't be able to fit the 70-200 in.

I use the Nova 200 to store all my other lenses and stuff and when I need to take that stuff then I'll take it out.

I was actually considering converting a rolling suit case into a camera carrier for traveling on flights. I looked at a few pre-made ones and they are nice but 3 to 400 (u.s) for them is a bit high. The other thing is that they look like a camera case and I don't want to advertise what I'm carrying on flights. Like I said I have a back pack that will hold my laptop with all of my equipment but like you I have a bad back and it was very uncomfortable. The more I think about building my own the more I think it might be a good idea.

New to this thread, hope to pick up some tips as I Just got my 600D with 18-55 lens, also tried a Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 which should arrive in the next couple of days, will be interesting to see how good it is in real life.

Shorty2012 said:
New to this thread, hope to pick up some tips as I Just got my 600D with 18-55 lens, also tried a Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 which should arrive in the next couple of days, will be interesting to see how good it is in real life.

Congratulations on your purchase. It's an excellent piece of kit and I hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I did!

I would set up back button focus and see if you like that bette than the shutter half press to focus. Many do and I know I did. :)

I have had the 600d now for a few months and have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-250mm lens. I am quite happy with the 2 lenses I have but I am looking at the Tamron 18-270mm pzd lens for an everyday walkabout lens as I find I am having to change lenses to frequently at some events I am choosing to photograph.
I have read lots of reviews on the Tamron and it seems to come out as "ok". I have also been looking at the sigma and canon equivalents although they don't have the same range.
Any help, support or thoughts would be appreciated.

I have read lots of reviews on the Tamron and it seems to come out as "ok". I have also been looking at the sigma and canon equivalents although they don't have the same range.

as long as you don't expect stellar IQ (or even a match for your current lenses) the super zooms are convenient.

30cms said:
I have had the 600d now for a few months and have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-250mm lens. I am quite happy with the 2 lenses I have but I am looking at the Tamron 18-270mm pzd lens for an everyday walkabout lens as I find I am having to change lenses to frequently at some events I am choosing to photograph.

Generally speaking you give up a lot of image quality when you go with a range so large.

I'm just curious why you want such a long zoom for a walk around lens. Most walk around lenses are 18 to 105 or so. I use a 17-55 2.8 and although it's a bit on the short side it makes up for it with its sharpness and speed. The review I read on the lens you are referring to are bad. That just what I have read...

I was in the same position last year and went for the Sigma 18-250 after reading quite a few reviews.

I'm more than pleased with the results though I'm sure that if I had spent a lot more I would have seen some improvement. Somewhere along the way, however, you have to say that that's the IQ I can afford...

Hello Everyone,

I'm glad to be a part of this thread and be counted as one of the proud owners and users of Canon 600D or T3i as we call it here. I've had the 600D for a few months now since upgrading from the 1000D. I've gone through some lens upgrades and am now using a 28-135mm USM IS, a 20-35mm USM Wide-Angle, and the standard 50mm F1.8 prime. My question, how many Lens upgrades do you go through before you tell yourself, the power of your lens are being surpressed by the camera body and its finally time for an upgrade?

. My question, how many Lens upgrades do you go through before you tell yourself, the power of your lens are being surpressed by the camera body and its finally time for an upgrade?

I would say you would need to upgrade a fair bit more before you reach the limits of your sensor. (the only lens you have that might do that would be the 50). You would need to move up to L glass before that would become a consideration.

It's more of a case that a new camera will do something your current one won't. If you are upgrading the body to get better quality you are probably going for something like a 5D which will give you the better quality and much better ISO performance. It will only use EF and not EF-S lenses so that will be a big factor.
As you have a 600D there is no real upgrade which will give you a better sensor but keeping the same 1.6 crop factor.

Hello Everyone,

I'm glad to be a part of this thread and be counted as one of the proud owners and users of Canon 600D or T3i as we call it here. I've had the 600D for a few months now since upgrading from the 1000D. I've gone through some lens upgrades and am now using a 28-135mm USM IS, a 20-35mm USM Wide-Angle, and the standard 50mm F1.8 prime. My question, how many Lens upgrades do you go through before you tell yourself, the power of your lens are being surpressed by the camera body and its finally time for an upgrade?

I had my 600D for 7 months before I upgraded to a 5D Mark II. My reasons for the upgrade were that I had reached the limitations of what the 600D could provide me in terms of image quality and ISO performance. I like to shoot a lot of low light and night stuff and the noise was too much, even at low ISO.

The quality of images from any body is governed by the lenses you stick in front of them, use cheap lenses and you will get okay results, use quality (read: expensive) lenses and the results will be much better.

Sorry Neil, Tony has pm'd me his addy and I'll be posting it tomorrow.
It's worth a read if you are a beginner though as it explains and expands on the manual.

Received with many thanks Rich

Cheers

Tony

Cool. :)

Maybe pass it forward when you've outgrown it too? :)

I had my 600D for 7 months before I upgraded to a 5D Mark II. My reasons for the upgrade were that I had reached the limitations of what the 600D could provide me in terms of image quality and ISO performance. I like to shoot a lot of low light and night stuff and the noise was too much, even at low ISO.

The quality of images from any body is governed by the lenses you stick in front of them, use cheap lenses and you will get okay results, use quality (read: expensive) lenses and the results will be much better.

Hi Rico, I have a 600d and like you I do a lot of night shoots, slow shutter on low iso. I was wondering what you think about the iso performance difference.

shaylou said:
Hi Rico, I have a 600d and like you I do a lot of night shoots, slow shutter on low iso. I was wondering what you think about the iso performance difference.

Hi Shayne,

The difference is (pardon the pun) night and day!

There is much less noise and what noise there is seems to clear up much easier and the images are just so much nicer to look at and work with.

At the risk of sounding like a gushing teenager the 5D2 is such an amazing piece of kit, it's made a huge difference to my way of thinking about photography and how I look at things!

Hi Shayne,

The difference is (pardon the pun) night and day!

There is much less noise and what noise there is seems to clear up much easier and the images are just so much nicer to look at and work with.

At the risk of sounding like a gushing teenager the 5D2 is such an amazing piece of kit, it's made a huge difference to my way of thinking about photography and how I look at things!

Thanks for the reply Rico. I bought my first dslr at the beginning of this year not knowing what direction I would go. I had no Idea I would be shooting either. Ends up I really like night shots and landscapes. I'm very particular about image quality and rarely go over iso 200 on my 600d. I was hoping to go full frame so that I would have a much higher iso range with good image quality, not to mention all of the other benefits.

shaylou said:
Thanks for the reply Rico. I bought my first dslr at the beginning of this year not knowing what direction I would go. I had no Idea I would be shooting either. Ends up I really like night shots and landscapes. I'm very particular about image quality and rarely go over iso 200 on my 600d. I was hoping to go full frame so that I would have a much higher iso range with good image quality, not to mention all of the other benefits.

That sounds exactly like me. I also did not know what I would be interested in when I got my 600D and I'm very particular over quality and never went above 400 iso.
On the 5D2 iso 1600 cleans up nicely but even at iso 100 in low light there is less noise and what noise there is looks nicer and is easier to deal with.

Last edited:
Hi another newbie here lol bought my first piece of kit for my 600d saturday, a grip and a hoya pro 58mm circular polarizer both bit of kit seem great, grip is gonna be handy with the possibility of longer shooting days:)

So I have been thinking about purchasing a new lens and been toying with a wider range zoom such as the canon 18-200mm and the Tamron 18-270mm pzd but I have been generally put off by the reviews and comments about the IQ etc
Dong a bit of research I have potentially decided to go for the canon 18-135mm lens but I'm a bit unsure about the difference between the USM and STM version.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

The stm version has a different motor for focusing, it is designed to focus better when using it for video on the new 650d body, I am not sure if it has been improved optically.

Thanks Michael.

Has anybody got any feedback on the 18-135mm Canon lens?

The stm version has a different motor for focusing, it is designed to focus better when using it for video on the new 650d body, I am not sure if it has been improved optically.

I just can't remember where I read it (it might even have been a print magazine rather than online) but I do recall a reviewer passing comment about because of how poor the original 18-135 was, the STM version was a complete rework.

No proof was offered though.

Hi all, new to photography & forum, so great to see thread specific 4 the 600d! Just starting to look at additional lenses, (currently have the standard kit) and my local shop guys ( who have been v helpful to date on all things camera) have suggested looking at the Tamron lenses?? I See from thread that some reviews not good- looking at reviews myself but grateful for any tips. Currently looking at Tamron 28-200 f/ 3 .8/5.6, Canon 28-135 f3.5/5.6 IS USM and Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM.
Thanks

Welcome to the thread jillybean, if you're looking to upgrade from the kit lens 18-55mm and want another standard zoom lens, I can only vouch for the canon 28-135mm USM IS as I currently own one myself. It's a great all-around lens with sufficient zoom range, fast and quiet focusing, and the IS is quite the catch. Also has macro capabilities too, although not as good as a real macro lens. It's a great step up lens from the kit lens especially if you're also just starting to learn photography.

jillybean said:
Hi all, new to photography & forum, so great to see thread specific 4 the 600d! Just starting to look at additional lenses, (currently have the standard kit) and my local shop guys ( who have been v helpful to date on all things camera) have suggested looking at the Tamron lenses?? I See from thread that some reviews not good- looking at reviews myself but grateful for any tips. Currently looking at Tamron 28-200 f/ 3 .8/5.6, Canon 28-135 f3.5/5.6 IS USM and Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM.
Thanks

I have read a lot if good and bad things about Tamron but the one consist thing that I have read is that their quality control is very inconsistent. Personally I would go with Canon. For a bit more money you will be assured to get a quality product. The one lens I highly recommend is the Canon 17-55 f2.8. This lens stands above. It's expensive but you will not be disappointed.

Hi again - Shaylou what does the 17-55mm lens offer above the kit lens 18-55mm, other than the single max aperture?

jillybean said:
Hi again - Shaylou what does the 17-55mm lens offer above the kit lens 18-55mm, other than the single max aperture?

Image quality.

You will wonder how you managed with the kit lens if you try the 17-55, it's just so much sharper with better colours and it focuses faster and quieter too.

There's a reason why it's considered the best non-L lens for crop bodies. :)

the canon 28-135mm USM IS as I currently own one myself. It's a great all-around lens with sufficient zoom range, fast and quiet focusing, and the IS is quite the catch.

i would disagree with it being a "great all round lens" on a crop. How could it be considered an all rounder without any wide angle? On a crop its equivalent to 45-215. Not much use for landscape or even indoor general use (unless you have BIG rooms).

Hi all!
I only just found this thread and I am a newish owner of a 600D, I got mine from Jessops, and got the £50 back, it came with the 18-55 kit lens. Since purchasing it I bought a 50mm f1.4 (which I love, it's so light and easy to carry round, and with the wide open aperture, great for indoor shots) Also the 70-300mm, which I'm finding too heavy for me and may consider selling, I've only used it a couple of times.
My latest purchase is the amazing 100mm EF f2.8 IS Macro, Yeah I know it's heavy too but I just love it!
I am considering changing the kit lens for the 15-85 for the extra width and zoom.....any thoughts on that, I would say I did consider the 17-55 because of it having a fixed f2.8 but as I already have the 50mm 1.4 it seemed the wrong way to go.

Last edited:
Rico said:
Image quality.

You will wonder how you managed with the kit lens if you try the 17-55, it's just so much sharper with better colours and it focuses faster and quieter too.

There's a reason why it's considered the best non-L lens for crop bodies. :)

Thanks will take a look 😃

Dave1 said:
i would disagree with it being a "great all round lens" on a crop. How could it be considered an all rounder without any wide angle? On a crop its equivalent to 45-215. Not much use for landscape or even indoor general use (unless you have BIG rooms).

Agreed. The wide side is non existent . That's another reason the 17-55 stands above this lens. Not to mention the superior image quality and the constant 2.8 aperture.

shaylou said:
Agreed. The wide side is non existent . That's another reason the 17-55 stands above this lens. Not to mention the superior image quality and the constant 2.8 aperture.

Well this really gives me lots to think about. Thanks guys.

Well this really gives me lots to think about. Thanks guys.

If you are considering spending the kind of money the 17-55 costs you should probably also consider the 15-85 which is slightly cheaper and arguably a better all round lens for most users.

Back