Canon 600D Official Owners Thread - Anything 600D Related

Next time you go back in, grab a 50mm f/1.8...great cheap lens on the 600

I have been struggling with trying to decide whether to buy the Nikon D5100 or the Canon 600D and have been back and forth to jessops trying each camera and doing loads of research. Well i went back to jessops today and came out with a bag, a UV filter, a screen protector, a lens hood, AND, a CANON 600D.:clap: :woot:

Now im looking for some help, i am going out tomorrow with a friend to spend the day shooting, i haven't got time to fully read the manual before i go so has anyone got any tips on any settings that i may need to set to get better results. Thanks in advance.

For me, back button focus is the first thing to set up on the camera. I find it much much better then half pressing the shutter button to focus.

In the custom functions menu (C.Fn IV: Operation/Others Shutter/AE lock button) change it from 0 to 1 (AE lock/AF).

This makes the * button on the back the button to focus and when you half press the shutter it meters (and locks) the exposure.
For moving subjects you can keep the * button pressed and assuming you are using AI Servo it will keep auto focusing as long as the * button is pressed.

Next time you go back in, grab a 50mm f/1.8...great cheap lens on the 600

:plus1: An outstanding lens for less then the cost of a tank of diesel!

I've just learnt something, thanks for sharing :)

Thanks Rico, i have set that up and will see how it goes today, Kentdiscos, ill have a look for that lens, cheers.

There is not enough of a difference to be worthwhile upgrading. Why are you looking at he 600D?

gblades said:
There is not enough of a difference to be worthwhile upgrading. Why are you looking at he 600D?

I'm after the rotating flip out display. I'd like the 60D but can't decide whether it's worth the upgrade. Ideally I'd like the rotating scrolling wheel and flip display.

Taken from there Store Policies

UK Cashback schemes

Please note some of our products DO NOT qualify for UK Cashback.

Hi All - I found this thread when Googled Canon 600D -

I have just purchased a 600D, having owned a 350D for around 5 years. Not used it much, but so far I am really pleased with the results.

I hope to post some photos here soon, when I can suss out how!

I purchased from Jessops and ugraded the lens to the Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18 - 135 1:3.5-5.6 IS

I also have a Canon Macro EF-S 60mm 1: 2.8 USM, which I ADORE!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! Great choice of camera and I am looking forward to seeing some shots with that macro lens. :)

any of you 600D owners have a macro lens? if so what, or what would you recommend? really want the 100mm 2.8 L lens but its dear, was thinking maybe the 60mm f2.8 non L lens

Hi Chris

I have the Canon Macro EF-S 60mm 1:2.8 and love it. Not sure how or where to post some pics on here though as I only joined today!

Had the 600D since Easter, but had the lens before with my 350D

Last edited:
My son has a 600d and I borrowed it to do a bit of experimentation of wireless flash, got it to work and found it fun, however I could not find a way of turning off the on board flash, had a look in the manual and that suggests not possible, so my question is it possible?

Many thanks Bob

RKC said:
My son has a 600d and I borrowed it to do a bit of experimentation of wireless flash, got it to work and found it fun, however I could not find a way of turning off the on board flash, had a look in the manual and that suggests not possible, so my question is it possible?

Many thanks Bob

What flash were you using? I've recently purchased a Yongnuo 560 II which can only be triggered with the onboard flash unless I purchase some wireless triggers.
I understand the Canon 580 EXII speedlight can be triggered with the 600D's wireless function but I can't justify £300-£400 for a flash at this time!

Hi and welcome! Great choice of camera and I am looking forward to seeing some shots with that macro lens. :)

Thanks Rico - I am just putting some on to Flickr - some are taken using the new 600D and the macro lens, and others up there were taken with the 350D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tingleyone/

Any and all comments welcome. None of them have been edited in any way.

What flash were you using? I've recently purchased a Yongnuo 560 II which can only be triggered with the onboard flash unless I purchase some wireless triggers.
I understand the Canon 580 EXII speedlight can be triggered with the 600D's wireless function but I can't justify £300-£400 for a flash at this time!

Hi Richard
I was using 430ex, got it working no problem, the onboard flash has to be up to activate wireless flash, what I was trying to do was to stop the onboard firing a flash so that just the 430 fired a flash

Hi Bob,

Sorry I misunderstood your question!

On the 600D, if you go into Menu > Flash Control > Built-in flash func. setting > Wireless func.

There are 3 options in there, the top one fires the onboard and remote flash together using the same settings. The middle one fires just the remote flash (using a quick flash from the onboard to trigger it but not actually contributing to the exposure) and the last one fires both the onboard and remote flashes but allows you do use different settings on both.

I hope that helps!

Hi Bob,

Sorry I misunderstood your question!

On the 600D, if you go into Menu > Flash Control > Built-in flash func. setting > Wireless func.

There are 3 options in there, the top one fires the onboard and remote flash together using the same settings. The middle one fires just the remote flash (using a quick flash from the onboard to trigger it but not actually contributing to the exposure) and the last one fires both the onboard and remote flashes but allows you do use different settings on both.

I hope that helps!

Cheers Richard now I got it (y) the remote is activated by the quick flash middle option (y)

Hi everyone, i recently purchased the 600D with kit lens and have been slowly working my way through the manual, but i wondered if some of the more experienced users could explain a few things for me. Either i'm stupid or its badly written but i cant get my head around the custom functions, or, the my menu function and finally is there a simple or quick way of setting bracketing. Your help would be much appreciated.

Rod

Hi guys, I am seriously considering this camera. I am looking to upgrade from my Sony HX9 compact to a DSLR. How highly would you rate this camera? Would it be good enough for wedding pictures etc? I might try my luck at being the photographer at a few weddings for family and friends in years to come. Is this camera capable of achieving the best images? Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi guys, I am seriously considering this camera. I am looking to upgrade from my Sony HX9 compact to a DSLR. How highly would you rate this camera? Would it be good enough for wedding pictures etc? I might try my luck at being the photographer at a few weddings for family and friends in years to come. Is this camera capable of achieving the best images? Thanks for your help in advance.

I'd say its an excellent entry level DSLR, wether its good enough for weddings I wouldn't think it would be many professional wedding toggers 1st choise.

The camera is only as good as the person behind it and also the glass you use will be very important as well

Hi Dominic,

I rate my 600D very highly and have no doubts about recommending it to anyone. I am so glad I bought mine! It performs admirably for everything that I have tried with it and have not found it wanting in any areas I use frequently.

I think the camera will handle well at a wedding and think that most people will say that it's better to have good quality fast lenses rather than an expensive body but obviously the body does have an impact or everyone would be shooting weddings etc on 600D's and not on 5D MKIII's etc.

In my personal experience, high ISO noise performance (anything above 400) is poor on this body but I haven't had much use for it and have not used any noise reduction software so can't comment on how well the images taken at high ISO clean up.

That being said, you see a lot of wedding photographers on here with a 450D or similar as their second camera!

As far as usable ISO goes I would say 3200 is usable if you really have to. It can be cleaned up post production but you will loose a lot of detail in the picture aswell.
1600 is acceptable but you still need to post process to get rid of noise in some areas of the photo. It can be don't without affecting much of the detail in the photo though.
800 or or lower really doesn't need post production to remove noise.

OK that's great advice. I will bear that in mind! So if I were to look at maybe doing a few weddings etc, which model would you guys suggest? Obviously being 600D owners, you might well suggest the 600D, but let us for a second, take that model away...

In my opinion, it's down to budget. I expect you could use a 7D very well but personally I would get a 5D MK III but that is over twice the price of a 7D.

I am already planning to go full frame with the 5D3 in the future so that's what I would choose but I doubt I'll be shooting weddings though as its not my thing. :)

If you are going to do weddings professionally then you should get a model which can write to two cards simultaneously. Cards can fail and you don't want to loose all the photos from a customers wedding!

I can officially join this thread now! I am going to start on page 1 and read up!

I bought one today to take advantage of the cashback offer as my first DSLR. Unfortunately I don't get it until later in the week.

Are there any "must-get" lenses associated with this camera?

I have a good list of suggested lenses from various people, but none that specifically work well with a 600D, as I don't know anybody with a 600D.

Hi. Had my 600d since October. As well as kit lens 18-55 I have 55-250 and 50mm 1.8.

Without knowing a budget or *** you like to shoot its very difficult to recommend a lens.

Hi 600D owners,
I'm just waiting for delivery of my new to me 600D, I have a Canon 55-250 mm Lens which is included, does anyone have any experience with this particular lens and do you rate it? I've read a few write ups and it seems to get mixed reviews.

Also what is the easiest way to tell the shutter count on the camera?

Thanks
:)

Just had a play with a new 600d purchased for someone else and teamed up with my 10-22mm lens I have to say the straight off the card shots are very impressive :) and need less reprocessing than the ones taken on the 5dii. Its even better when you team it up with some L series lenses, looking forward to having this toy to play with again, the only downside is the plasticy feel compared to other earlier models, but the results make up for it.
Will post some pics later.

Last edited:
Dom7 said:
OK that's great advice. I will bear that in mind! So if I were to look at maybe doing a few weddings etc, which model would you guys suggest? Obviously being 600D owners, you might well suggest the 600D, but let us for a second, take that model away...

What does a wedding have to do with choosing a camera body? All this talk about good enough for a wedding, how is a wedding different then say anything else that deals with people or indoor shoots.

I have a 600d and like it. I do not think I will change this body until I'm ready to move to full frame. One thing I would recommend is to research the lens that you want. Like the other members it not the body its the glass and the person behind the equipment that makes a difference.

downs523 said:
anyone have a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM on the 600D?

I looked at that lens and tried it out too. If you are looking for a walk around lens I would look at the canon 17-55 f2.8 lens. Dont let the lack of a red stripe fool you. Imho this lens is one of the best walk around lenses you will find L or non L. My other lens is 70-200 2.8 mark2. The image quality on both are as sharp as a tack.

Back