Canon 60D - Sensor needs cleaning - DIY ??

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
It would appear my sensor needs cleaning and just wondered if this is a DIY job or best left to the pro's

Any thoughts ?

If it is not bad then DIY. It is not difficult if you get the right size swabs. Watch a demonstration on YouTube first. Take your time and you should have no problems.

I do my own BUT you do really need the right equipment to do it properly. First and foermost a "Loupe" , then an Artic butterfly as well as a rocket blower- wiping pads and sensor cleaning fluid, depending how bad the sensor is. You will also allow plenty of time a clean work area dust free, no carpeted room -load of patience and gentle care when touching the sensor itself.
Do not even think about cotton buds or you will be in deep trouble
I tried one of those lenspen things and it left marks on the sensors, and also you can't tell if you are putting too much pressure on the sensor itself and make it out of alignment. Still horses for courses as they say.

One question to ask yourself " can you do without a camera while being cleaned?" I prefer as I said to do my own and always have a camera to hand

Last edited:
Go get a set of swabs, check your manual for sensor size, its easy width of your sensor equals width of the swabs you need. i have had a £30 set for about 6 yrs still lots of fluid and about 6 swabs left. i have cleaned about 3 different cameras with it and never an issue.
as for all the nonsense of damaging your sensor they are actually quite robust. you can take it to a camera shop who will happily take £30 at a time of you for your next ten cleans £300 your choice. in my personal experience its very easy and not something you need to stress over
if you live near me bring it over i'll give it a clean for you ;) just seen your in lancashire might be a stretch to reading.

http://www.fpoint.co.uk/images/products/small/Delkin Digital Duster Kit.jpg

Last edited:
I do my own BUT you do really need the right equipment to do it properly. First and foermost a "Loupe" , then an Artic butterfly as well as a rocket blower- wiping pads and sensor cleaning fluid, depending how bad the sensor is. You will also allow plenty of time a clean work area dust free, no carpeted room -load of patience and gentle care when touching the sensor itself.
Do not even think about cotton buds or you will be in deep trouble
I tried one of those lenspen things and it left marks on the sensors, and also you can't tell if you are putting too much pressure on the sensor itself and make it out of alignment. Still horses for courses as they say.

One question to ask yourself " can you do without a camera while being cleaned?" I prefer as I said to do my own and always have a camera to hand

You cant even get at the sensor on a 60D unless you take it apart. The sensor is behind a filter, which is what gets dust on it, so there is no chance of damaging the sensor when cleaning. The only thing to be concerned about is the mirror coming down while cleaning, as long is there is enough life in the battery to last the duration of the cleaning, there's nothing to be worried about.
Not sure why people have to spread these scare stories, cleaning this camera is a piece of cake.

Hi,
I have had my 60D sensor cleaned twice professionally and the last time decided to do it myself to save time and money. Was a bit concerned so checked out a few products and watched a couple of videos. In the end I went for VisibleDust Orange swabs (make sure you get the right size for your sensor. I had loads of marks (shoot a blue sky at high f number and you can see them all). Access the menu in the camera for manual sensor cleaning and follow the instructions (they also have a short video on their website). Was way easier than I thought and did a great job. I can clean the sensor 4 times for less than one professional clean.

If you are reasonably practical and take your time, it is a piece of cake!!

Kenny

Back