Canon 60D

The new pro-sumer line is now the 7D, which in turn will presumably become the 8D.

Jonathan

The 7D becomes the 8D and onwards and upwards until it becomes .......
wait for it....................

The 10D

Or will they call it the 7dMk2

:)

Matt

SD cards are probably an inevitability now, they're as big (capacity wise) as CF and as fast.

Really? Can you tell me where I can buy a 90 MB/s, 64 GB, SD card? That's actually buy one, not some vapourware 'announced' product.

SD cards always have been slower and smaller than CF cards. Another problem is that they keep changing the 'standard'. First there was SD, then SDHC, now SDXC.

Companies like Canon know that there will be a furore about cameras like the 60D. The camera will sell in vast numbers though - working in Canon's marketing department must be the easiest job in the world - just put the name 'Canon' on the product and it will sell itself.

Really? Can you tell me where I can buy a 90 MB/s, 64 GB, SD card? That's actually buy one, not some vapourware 'announced' product.

SD cards always have been slower and smaller than CF cards. Another problem is that they keep changing the 'standard'. First there was SD, then SDHC, now SDXC.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SD-Cards?filters=size:65536

Not as fast as 90MB/s, but they're significantly cheaper than a 90MB 64GB CF.

Wont be long untill SD cards overtake CF in speed though.

Although why anyone would want to spend over £300 on a single card, SD or CF is beyond me.

Well - I have to say, it seems there's an awful lot of people getting worked up over this camera. It's not perhaps the ideal mid-ground between a 50D and a 7D that I was hoping for, to be honest - it's a little too close to just being a 550D in a bigger chassis, but I can see why canon wouldn't want to be putting all the fancy focus and metering doo-dads in the 60D as it would put quite a crimp in the sales of the 7D.

Okay - it's not a mag. body. Neither is my EOS-3 film camera - that's the same Aluminium Chassis with Glass Reinforced Polycarbonate kind of setup, and the EOS-3 feels tough enough to make gravel from boulders :shrug: I'm fairly careful with my kit, and it's insured, so to be honest, it's not a deal-breaker for me.

It's Smaller than the 50D. Well - in 2 directions it's 1-2mm smaller yes, and 5mm deeper. I've got hands like coal-shovels and I don't think I'd have a problem adjusting to that difference - it's not as if it's a half inch smaller all round like the XXXD series are :shrug:

It's only got the 9 point AF like the XXXD's have - well, now that's a bit poor, even my geriatric (1998 design!) EOS-3 film camera has 45-point Area AF. But then again, this is probably the "crown jewels" of the 7d, so I wasn't expecting a full trickle-down of this feature to the 60D tbh.

It shoots Video - which is a good thing, if you want to shoot video. And if you don't, don't shoot it. Simples.

Personally, I'll wait until there are a few out there, and some decent independent reviews of it have been out, and the early adopter "impatience tax" has reduced. At it's launch price, it's a no brainer - buy a 7D instead. But if you don't actually need to buy a camera body asap, then it might be worth a look at in a while.

It may be a disappointment to some - mainly because it's been so eagerly awaited - but it's not a tragedy and it's not Canon screwing the punters royally - like they did when they launched the EOS range and abandoned the whole FD mount system, leaving people with thousands of pounds worth of Glass that didn't work on the new bodies. It's just another camera.

"Maximum recording time is 11 minutes"

I think that is not a great feature. I can't see a mention of video autofocus either.

Limited by what? Overheating, Card capacity or buffer? Without context to that statement (or actual fact) I'd be loathe to believe that.

Even the 500D has a time of 49mins on a 16GB Class 6 SDHC card. I can't see Canon taking a backwards step there.

Even taking that into account, how often do film-makers/directors do an 11min long take? Most guys I know will run for 3-4 mins tops and then either change tape/film or cut at that point. Doesn't really matter if you're recording in Full HD with a good sensor, I'm sure you can cope.

Didn't they film the season finale of House using a 5DmkII...that show runs for 43mins. The majority of film-makers are also using Manual Focus or Focus Pulling...that's why RedRock sell focus puller units.

Last edited:
Okay - it's not a mag. body. Neither is my EOS-3 film camera - that's the same Aluminium Chassis with Glass Reinforced Polycarbonate kind of setup, and the EOS-3 feels tough enough to make gravel from boulders :shrug: I'm fairly careful with my kit, and it's insured, so to be honest, it's not a deal-breaker for me.

+1
A plastic body camera will hold up perfectly well against most things.

This is worth a watch:

[YOUTUBE]D1tTBncIsm8[/YOUTUBE]

In summary, they took a D70 and a 400D, knocked them around, poured hot tea on them,
used them as hammers, burnt them, etc
AND BOTH CAMERAS STILL WORKED. Even the screen still worked on the Canon.
They are a lot tougher than most people think.

The guy in the DR video seems like a cut price Gok Wan for the photography world if you ask me

I dont shoot Canon but i have on more than one occasion considered doing so but if i were a xxd user i would feel a little cheated maybe that they had dropped the alloy casing for whatever reason especially for the dosh they want for the 60d.
I think i would feel a little less aggrieved as a canon user had they announced the 50d would be the last model in the xxd line up and gone on to produce something else rather than put out a model that looks like its xxxd trying to be a xxd or the other way round and i dont think the 60d will be held in such esteem as the other members of the xxd line up.....just tuppence worth from a poor old Alpha user :)

:help: Still, i'm finding it hard to see real reasons why so many people just upgrade for the hell of it. Is it just that everyone has got too much bloody money burning a hole in their pocket? :thinking:
I think people just like to be the one down the camera club with the latest gear.
The way I see it, an upgrade shouldn't be to spend a thousand pounds on a camera pretty much identical to your current camera with a few new features introduced, especially if those features are already placed in a model in the series below the one you already own.

So say you're new to the DSLR market and choose Canon, what do you do?

You buy a XXXD series camera. The only upgrade owners of XXXD series cameras should be looking at would be to either a 7D or a 5D. Simply because the XXD series no longer offers a serious batch of new features people want.
But, now supposing you've bought a 500D or even the new 550D, then where do you go? It's gotta be a 5D MKII.

There's nothing in between like there was before they started cramming fad features into cameras. Who cares if it's got 18mp, is it any good and are the pictures any better than its predecessor?

We had a debate about why 40D owners wasted their money on the 50D. It's the same sketch with this 60D. People banging on and on about this 'upgrade ladder'..... I'm sure the ones who buy every new body as soon as it comes out are the same people whining about the quality of their pictures, convinced the latest all singing all dancing bodies somehow magically make them take better photos.

If this had better AF and cost quite a lot less then I'd be tempted - at the moment I can't really see why you would pick this over the 7D.

I do like the flip out screen though - I have one on my G1 and it's very handy for composing unusual shots or when using a tripod low down etc

Hi,

I have just read the report on Photo Answers about the replacement for Canon's 50D, the 60D. Looks good at first until I read the price, they must be joking. (almost as expensive as the weighty 7D).
Why must we have built in video? if I want video I use a camcorder.
For me a 60Dvl (videoless!!) would be more appealing at less cost - or am I too much "old school".

I am afraid I will have to keep plodding on with my old but trustee 350D.

The 60D is a no go for me as it doesn't even have the micro focus adjustment available on the 50D and 7D, to me its just like a 550D in a better housing, with a custom mode added and a better frame rate.

As soon as I saw "plastic body" I stopped reading - I mean "plastic" on an xxD?
Certainly cant see many 40/50D owners queing up to "upgrade" to the 60D!
If anything, this makes me appreciate my superb 40D even more.

I feel like saying "For God sake can we please move on from all this wailing about plastic" but I wont. :nono:

What I will say is that you don't have to use a manual metal camera made in Germany before WW2 to be a real man. Autofocus, movie mode, live view, sensor cleaning, image stabilisation...they're all manly, as is plastic.

Just think of the abuse an industrial grade hammer drill can take and if that doesn't convince you think about the poise and handling of the Lotus Elise, the most communicative and exciting car I've ever owned...plastic is sexy! Get used to it.

Hi,

I have just read the report on Photo Answers about the replacement for Canon's 50D, the 60D. Looks good at first until I read the price, they must be joking. (almost as expensive as the weighty 7D).
Why must we have built in video? if I want video I use a camcorder.
For me a 60Dvl (videoless!!) would be more appealing at less cost - or am I too much "old school".

I am afraid I will have to keep plodding on with my old but trustee 350D.

As has been said numerous times on this thread, and elsewhere, the prices you're seeing right now are the RRP. Three months after they become available for sale the price will drop to something more sensible.

As for video, it adds zero to the cost. So your 60Dvl will cost the same as the one with video. Actually it'll cost more - because nobody except for you will want to buy it.

If they are going to use plastic then i think it would only be fair for that to be reflected in price as its still going to be in the 50d range even after the price drop. Still missing MA and classic button layout though so put me right off.

If they are going to use plastic then i think it would only be fair for that to be reflected in price as its still going to be in the 50d range even after the price drop. Still missing MA and classic button layout though so put me right off.

What camera bodies don't use plastic :thinking: The 60D isn't made of just plastic! ... The shell / frame is Aluminium! .. I think we should give Canon engineers some credit for camera design.. I'm sure they know what they are doing / have done :shrug:

Its not the fact i dont like plastic,there's nothing wrong with it if quality materials are used, i understand what you are saying but with regards to costings im not sure it pans out so for the price id feel short changed.
Unless ofcourse there has been a trade off and the more expensive magnesium has been replaced with a more expensive swivel screen.Its a major rework of the XXd line, so much so that im not sure it is, should the 7d have been the XXd replacement i.e the 70d?
It seems XXd prices are going to remain the same, alas the feature set wont if you take video out of the equation.

Last edited:
Wow that posting stirred up a hornets nest, goes to show - you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the peeople all of the time.

But, now supposing you've bought a 500D or even the new 550D, then where do you go? It's gotta be a 5D MKII.

I own a 500D and would consider a 50D as an upgrade, its got enough features the 500D and 550D don't have to make it worthwhile,improved over the 40D, plus so far not shown to have the same shutter wear problems that seem to plague the 40D,
If you know you will never be able to afford the leap to a 7D or 5D or the 7D is unsuitable for other reasons such as weight etc then its a logical step.
The 60D has to many "crucial" (to me) features missing, such as custom modes and micro AF adjustment.

Last edited:
Hmm. Interesting reading.

I count myself amongst those who have recently bought a 50D, then heard about the 60D and started kicking myself only to stop again as the details have come out. :cool:

Back