Canon 60D

AF Micro-adjustment isn't an option anymore unless the spec page is wrong. Unusual move to discontinue a feature from the previous version.

Bob

I think the vari-angle screen is a great idea.............on a compact such as their G series, on a DSLR:shrug:

And looks lke they have reduced fps to 5.3fps and is SD.. compatable only

Dont like the screen either but i cant believe they are still using the 9 point AF.

they are still using the 9 point AF.

From dpreview

replacing the EOS 50D. However, following the launch of the EOS 7D, the 60D has been repositioned in the market, so isn't a simple upgrade to its predecessor. Instead the 60D is a smaller camera featuring an articulated screen and plastic body shell and utilizing SD memory cards. It combines the 18MP CMOS sensor and 1040k dot 3.0" LCD from the EOS 550D (Rebel T2i) with the AF system from the 50D. Meanwhile it gains the 7D's HD movie capability

Is it me, or does it sound like a bit of a mix and match ??

Lots of high-spec video cameras have them, and the 60D is a pretty high-spec video camera.

We have had the DSLR /video debate part 1, part 2 here we go:)

Sounds to me like a closer alignment with the Nikon range:

60D = D90
7D = D300s

The 7D has always suggested the xxD range will move down a touch to make more room. Articulated screen could be very useful at times I have to say. Save me the bother of using an angle finder.

Well the screen looks gash on a camera that is meant to be semi pro.
Looks like i will be buying the 7D later on this year then anyway.

Seems to me that they've removed one of the key features of the XXD range - notoably the better build quality. This strikes me as an addition to the XXXD range.

It doesn't strike me as a camera that existing XXD users would be keen to swap onto.

Although I'm prepared to be proved wrong on that!

Last edited:
wow I was really worried about buying my 7D last week with the 60D meant to be just round the corner but I am glad I went with the 7D as it blows this out the water :D

My penny worth on the video on DSLRs is that it is a sodomy!! I really don't care about it and think the space could have been used for more processors or bigger battery space as that would be atleast useful.

Although I can see myself using it once or twice when there is that amazing moment that just has to be recorded. Saying that I would probably be taking photos of this moment so no time to video?!?! :shrug:

Well the screen looks gash on a camera that is meant to be semi pro.
Looks like i will be buying the 7D later on this year then anyway.

Thats what I think. Doesnt look very professional to do a wedding with a twisting screen. looks like the point and shoots that the guests have!!

Have they got it wrong and missed out a 0

What I expected the 600D to be, not sure they have got it right with the plastic body either

At a reported £1000 with the 18-135 kit lens, £713 body only in the states, plus the usual price hike over here:eek:

Last edited:
Well, that certainly fits with the suggestions I heard about the xxD series moving down in terms of spec and the xD (7D, 5D, 1D) becoming the tool of the serious amateur and the pro.

It's a shame really, I'd have thought I might see a raft of 50D's coming on to the secondhand market, but alas it seems not.

Ick, this is a definate downgrade in the XXD series, totally understandable because it will push 40/50D upgraders down the 7D path, there is no way I would go back to a plastic body after my 40D.

Canon have looked at how much money they can screw out of their customer base and realised that a lot of upgraders will go for the 7D, and they have helped them with the decision.

MB

I'm not sure its about screwing money but about meeting market needs. The xxD has gradually got cheaper version by version (my 10D was £1200 and that wasn't at launch) and so to keep that path going, a lower cost of manufacture is sensible.

Well it's not quite what I had in mind, it seems that thy wanted to give the 7D a bit more room in the market so lessened the build quality of the 60D and left a few useful bits out. Anyone have any idea of the price point of the 60D? - ahh, I see, approx £750 for the body, must type faster!
It does eliminate it from my upgrade path so I'm happy to just have a 5/7D dilemma instead of a possible 3 horse race.

Last edited:
Oh I'm not saying Canon aren't meeting the needs of the market but this will be done with profitability in mind, because of this market reposition I'll be spending somewhere in the region of £400 more for my next body than I would have if the 60D upgrade had been incremental like the 40D>50D.

Basically everyone is a winner apart from my bank balance :D

FIL has a 7D and it's really nice, it will most likely be my next camera now I have the 17-55mm rather than a second hand 5D

MB

What a major disappointment. £1k for a plastic-bodied camera with only 9-point AF? Forget it.

As a 40D user, the xxD line is now dead as far as I'm concerned and my only viable upgrade path is the 7D.

At a reported £1000 with the 18-135 kit lens, £713 body only in the states, plus the usual price hike over here:eek:

Well DP Review are showing an RRP of £1099 here. Even after the usual drop in a few months' time, it's still going to be £800+ IMO.

As a 40D owner it looks like the 7D is the new upgrade, shame was I was expecting better for the 60D, especially anywhere near that RRP!

Last edited:
On the Jessops website the body only is £1099, even after the priced has dropped you might aswell go with the 7D.

Bet its 1099 Euro's too, seems to be the same as a rule in all three currencies

On the Jessops website the body only is £1099, even after the priced has dropped you might aswell go with the 7D.

Just a bit of old fashioned capitalism I think - early-adopters always pay a premium.

But at that price you'd be daft not to get a 7D.

Well Jessops online has the 7D at £1199 so sure it is a no brainer to get the 7D over the 60D now.

Its in the same price range as some of the semi pro bodies, its plastic fantastic with some twisty swivel round screen that will end up being broken easily anyway and how many people actually use the screen on their dslr's. Pointless in adding that feature when they could have used it for a bigger non crop sensor with better fps, iso and better build/body quality too.

I was hoping this would be better than a 50D but now i think i will just buy the 7D as its only £100 more and you get alot more in the 7D compared to the new 60D.

The product lines were always going to shift direction after the 7D arrived, not sure why people are huffing so much about this not being a straight upgrade from the 50D?

Not really sure why anyone thinks a swivelling screen matters? Don't want to break it? Don't swivel it out?? Very useful when camera is on tripod imo.

Last edited:
Ick, this is a definate downgrade in the XXD series, totally understandable because it will push 40/50D upgraders down the 7D path, there is no way I would go back to a plastic body after my 40D.

Yep I feel the same, although I'm likely a couple of years from upgrading my 50D anyway it looks like I will end up going down the 7D or whatever upgrade the 7D gets. Highly unlikely I'd go down the plastic body route to save a few quid.

I cant see who it is aimed at.40D and 50D users will move up the 7D route To keep with professional quality.

So who will be the target for the 60D.
There also has to be room for compact interchangeable lens cameras.

It looks like the 60D will have a very small market place.

The plastic body is a real disappointment as is the resizing, I mean improved ergonomics shouldn't be an amateur/semi pro/pro thing, 'cept in the simplest of minds. Glad I didn't wait and got a 7D

Back