Canon 60D

I was hoping to upgrade from my 30D but having been reading up on the 60D (and the comments here) I don't think I will bother. I really don't like the swivel screen or the removal of the sync socket! Now I don't know what to upgrade too!

The dpreview.com hands on preview says:

"no high speed shutter sync flash option"

I don't know what else it can mean? Would be a weird way to cripple a camera!

I don't know of any DSLR that has a pop-up flash that can do high speed sync. HSS eats flash power, and none of them has anywhere near enough poke for that.

60D pop-up flash is same as 50D.

I was hoping to upgrade from my 30D but having been reading up on the 60D (and the comments here) I don't think I will bother. I really don't like the swivel screen or the removal of the sync socket! Now I don't know what to upgrade too!

7D.

I really like the swivel screen! Really useful for all sorts of things. Sadly I think they're not very robust, simply because they stick out and are vulnerable, and for that reason might never get fitted to the higher grade pro-spec models :(

Last edited:
I have been considering the 7D, but got told its not very good in low light (I shoot music)

You'll have to go full frame then if you want better. Although I must admit that when I looked at some of the noise comparisons, the 50d was slightly better but the 5d mk ii is significantly better. However if you shoot in one of the s/raw modes the noise is noticeably reduced.

I dont really understand. If you want to upgrade your burst speed, you would goto the next line up, not stay on the same product line, hoping for a marginal improvement.

Thats like buying the exact same car again, but just a newer version. You wouldn't expect it to be loads faster. Its just a newer version.

No, maybe like buying the new model of a car every few years and getting a better more modern engine in each new car with better fuel economy/higher top speed and a loads of other improvements, improvements being the important word there. ;) The fuel economy may not be the reason you bought the cars, but it may be a significant one.

I went from a D70 (3fps) > D200 (5fps) > D300S (7-8Fps). That's more than a doubling of frame rate in three generations just getting the next model. Most people do various types of pics, and not just sport, so the camera has to be a jack of all trades. If the burst rate is of big importance then you get a camera to suit, if you are thinking of upgrading your camera for a number reasons, burst rate being one of them, then the model you were considering actually being worse may dissuade you from changing.

Considering its probably the cheapest XXD series ever released I think its great, just the kind of thing I'm looking for.

If it is what you've been waiting for then great. (y) Seeing as people are saying that is not a true successor for the xxD range, then it will be the cheapest with that number range. Or at least you would hope it would be. ;)

I was hoping the 60D was going to make it cheaper for me to get a second 50D but no dice as I don't see any xxD owner buying a 60. Oh wells, can't afford a 7D

I have been considering the 7D, but got told its not very good in low light (I shoot music)

There's been some controversy about the 7D in that area. I'm not sure how valid it is. There's a theory that some early samples had a problem. Anyway, give it a try - it'll take you five minutes in Jessops, and it'll surely be better than your 30D which is getting on a bit now in the fast moving world of sensor technology.

I tried a 7D against my 40D and was very impressed with the ISO performance. But they also had a 5D2 in the shop at the same time, so just for the heck of it I gave that a go too.

While the 7D was good, the 5D2 was just in another league, and as they say, the rest is history if you check my profile on the left :D If you want high ISO, you need full frame; crop format sensors just can't compete as full frame collects 2.6x more photons. End of story really.

Edit: Crossed post - I see Andy beat me to it!

Last edited:
"Polycarbonate resin with glass fibre on aluminum chassis" in the spec check.

That may mean something proper. Composite materials can be quite strong.

Is this the same material as 100mm macro L? What is used in 550D?

All I know is 400D is made of "simple" plastic and can easily get seriously bashed up.

That may mean something proper. Composite materials can be quite strong.

Is this the same material as 100mm macro L? What is used in 550D?

All I know is 400D is made of "simple" plastic and can easily get seriously bashed up.

Well I wouldn't want to test it. The Mag alloy bodies are great. Nikon manages to put them in cheaper bodies. I must say that smaller body and body material are a deal breaker to me and I think to others. I haven't used the Micro AF but that seems to be the other thing that annoys everyone. Surely the extra cost to Canon to do this is miniscule. Then again, all the controversy about it could be what Canon want. It does annoy me they keep changing the layout. I have the 50 and the 30 and the buttons are just different enough to be really annoying when you switch from one to the other.
Rant over

Well I wouldn't want to test it. The Mag alloy bodies are great. Nikon manages to put them in cheaper bodies. I must say that smaller body and body material are a deal breaker to me and I think to others. I haven't used the Micro AF but that seems to be the other thing that annoys everyone. Surely the extra cost to Canon to do this is miniscule. Then again, all the controversy about it could be what Canon want. It does annoy me they keep changing the layout. I have the 50 and the 30 and the buttons are just different enough to be really annoying when you switch from one to the other.
Rant over

The 40D and 50D are pretty much the same, so I thought they had kept with the layout on the 60D, how wrong could I be. I mean the lens goes on the front and the screen is on the back, but thats were it ends.

Is this really a XXD model ?

after the 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D I was keen to see what the 60D was going to be like as I honestly didn't see a 'gap' between the 50D and the 7D.

As for my question - it looks like they've 'beefed' up the little XXXD 550D with some 7D spec.

It's like the 7D has prevented progress of the XXD

Looks to me like once past the XXXD range anybody with the 60D budget would go 7D

Last edited:
Is this really a XXD model ?

after the 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D I was keen to see what the 60D was going to be like as I honestly didn't see a 'gap' between the 50D and the 7D.

As for my question - it looks like they've 'beefed' up the little XXXD 550D with some 7D spec.

It's like the 7D has prevented progress of the XXD

Looks to me like once past the XXXD range anybody with the 60D budget would go 7D

Yep. The 550d is more than the 50d but the better build and ergonomics and speed as well as micro adjustment which was raved about everywhere was a big reason. I would prefer the 50d if they were the same price. So they have taken away everything that would make you want one. Some market consultants were probably paid a fortune to come up with this. They are about as good at their job as the weathermen. Yet both still get vast sums of money. I'm in the wrong job!

Looks to me like canon have just bumped their prices by ~ £300 for anyone buying much above entry level (once street prices normalise). :(

Looks to me like canon have just bumped their prices by ~ £300 for anyone buying much above entry level (once street prices normalise). :(

I would say buying above entry level has been raised to about £1200 for the latest models. Of course the 50D and probably 40D will remain for a while so you can still get enthusiast/semi-pro for £500-600

How many entry level series do Canon want - the 1000 series which I still don't get at all. The 100 series - fair enough, and now the 10 series which doesn't make any sense. Next we will have the Canon 1,000,000 series. It has 18mp, full hd video recording but it is for left handed people so all the buttons are mirrored. And the Canon 1Billion series - 18mp full hd but it comes in Pink for girls and they will all be exactly the same price

I'm a bit disappointed that canon are trying to get so many pixels onto a crop sensor. didn't they just announce an aps-c sensor with 120mp recently? seems crazy. I would've liked to have seen less mp, say 12, with much higher iso capability, a metal body (in case i drop it) and a better AF like on the 7d.

But then again i suppose everyone shoots differently and wants different things. Can't please everybody.

My ideal camera, if i had the notes, would be a NIkon D3 :)

XXD - 30, 40, 50 are great cameras but loads of people chose not to upgrade through the minimal improvements.

Once the 7D came about - and they were very clever calling it a XD rather than a XXD the next XXD was doomed.

It looks now like 7D if you can be arsed getting a decent crop.

I just think the 60D is milking the XXD 'name' for once last squirt (to XXXD buyers) because they know the XXD buyers are now onto the 7D.

Last edited:
I'm a bit disappointed that canon are trying to get so many pixels onto a crop sensor. didn't they just announce an aps-c sensor with 120mp recently? seems crazy. I would've liked to have seen less mp, say 12, with much higher iso capability, a metal body (in case i drop it) and a better AF like on the 7d.

But then again i suppose everyone shoots differently and wants different things. Can't please everybody.

My ideal camera, if i had the notes, would be a NIkon D3 :)

Perhaps 120MP with ISO 999999999999999 gazillion - it will look like an untuned tv but it sounds good. Maybe we should suggest it for the 70D. Also make it the size of a tooth pick so that you have to press the buttons with the end of your nails and it will be a seamless follow on.

XXD - 30, 40, 50 are great cameras but loads of people chose not to upgrade because of the minimal improvements.

Once the 7D came about - and they were very clever calling it a XD rather than a XXD - the next XXD was doomed.

It looks now like 7D is the body for a those after a 'semi' body in crop form.

This new 60D is milking the XXD 'name' for once last squirt (to XXXD buyers IMHO) because they know that XXD buyers will have long since bought or planned on a 7D.

Last edited:
XXD - 30, 40, 50 are great cameras but loads of people chose not to upgrade because of the minimal improvements.

Once the 7D came about - and they were very clever calling it a XD rather than a XXD - the next XXD was doomed.

It looks now like 7D is the body for a those after a 'semi' body in crop form.

This new 60D is milking the XXD 'name' for once last squirt (to XXXD buyers IMHO) because they know that XXD buyers will have long since bought or planned on a 7D.

But buyers of the xxxD cameras already didn't understand why they should pay more for the xxDs as they had mostly the same spec. It was only those who needed a more rugged and efficient piece of kit. They should have given the xxD a real good send off with an awesome body.

They should have given the xxD a real good send off with an awesome body.

But they can't - because of the 7D

It's that single X in the name of the 7D that says 'I've moved on from XX.

That's how people think.

Which is why (as I see it) they know there's no point in building a fantastic XX model.

Anybody wanting move on in the XX range will (and have already) gone to the 7D so Canon are moving to suck XXX users into what I think (regardless of how good it may be) is a cheap trick.

****es me off a bit it truth be known

Last edited:
But they can't - because of the 7D

That 1 X in the name of 7D says 'I've moved on from XX.

That's how people think.

Which (as I see it) they know there's no point in building a fantastic XX model.

Anybody wanting move on in the XX range will (and have already) gone to the 7D so Canon are moving to suck XXX users into what I think (regardless of how good it may be) is a cheap trick.

****es me off a bit it truth be known

Indeed. If the had just made a better 15MP sensor noisewise and added video (not something I'm fussed about) and kept everything else the same I think more people would buy it. And it wouldn't have detracted from the 7D

Im still in shock at "nutty" calling compact flash outdated... Are you serious? You'd really take SD over CF? The fastest speeds are CF, there are literally no negatives to CF over SD.

There is a reason the 5D, 5Dmk2, 1D series, 7D, and all of Nikon's pro kit use CF cards...

Argh.

Upgrade to the 550D. That's what I did and I'm lovin' it :love:

I'll stick to my 30D for the time being. I can't afford an upgrade and I don't have have any issues with the older body. The 9 point AF system is fine, I hardly ever use more than one anyway.

Going forward, the 7D or its successor is a possibility, but the temptation to switch to Nikon is there. I shot Nikon for 25 years in the film days, still have a fondness for them and the D700 is very tempting!

Im still in shock at "nutty" calling compact flash outdated... Are you serious? You'd really take SD over CF? The fastest speeds are CF, there are literally no negatives to CF over SD.

There is a reason the 5D, 5Dmk2, 1D series, 7D, and all of Nikon's pro kit use CF cards...

Argh.

I keep saying this but the trouble with compact flash is the sheer size of the card and the socket, it eats valuable real estate inside the camera which if you are looking to reduce size and bulk is not a good thing. Canon also moved the xxxD series over to SD so they are now offering an upgrade path to users at this level who don't want to replace all their memory cards.

The 60D offers a pretty good upgrade over the xxxD in terms of the improved controls, the addition of a tilting screen which I think a surprising number of users will actually really want and also an improvment in construction from the all plastic xxxD.

I can't believe the number of people happy to slate the build quality on a camera non of them have touched just because it's not mag alloy or the number of people that can't understand the fact the price will fall dramatically after release and that canon are restructuring their offerings.

Was wondering how Canon was going to position a model between the 550D and 7D - both great models, imo.

Personally, as a (relatively recent) owner of the latter, I'm glad it's closer to a 550D.

Will be interesting to see how the prices settle before Xmas.

there are literally no negatives to CF over SD.

There is one glaringly obvious downside to CF....it's size. In professional bodies where performance is paramount, CF wins, obviously. In consumer bodies where compactness is more important, SD can be the right choice. The 60D is clearly aimed at the 'consumer with money to spend' category, rather than the professional backup body market. They'll sell *loads* of them.

I'm surprised no-one's picked up on this yet.

I feel the swivel screen is a big plus to those who shoot video with their camera.

Previously people were buying screens and monitors for the video-enabled cameras, now you have the option of a nice, flip-out monitor just like a "real" video camera.

SD cards are probably an inevitability now, they're as big (capacity wise) as CF and as fast. This is definitely, for me, a video camera that utilises a massive sensor and some brilliant L series glass.

If anything, for me this is the death knell for XH and XL series camcorders.

Comparison between those and the 60D is favourable for the DSLR...very favourable. 1.67MP 1/3" CCD or 18MP APS-C CMOS?! :thinking:

Canon have managed to align themselves with Nikon and the 60D fits in very well for those who bought a 550D/5DmkII/7D for the video...and there are lots of guys out there!

As a current 50D owner, I can see very very few 50D owners "upgrading" to a 60D.

Just my 2 pennorth.

Pete

Putting build to one side the real problem here(at least to me) is the price bracket. The 60d is positioned in a price bracket that historically was reserved for a camera a pro could use in a pinch as it kept all the main elements of pro bodies in place. Now we are offered a bumped up xxxd series instead of a dulled down xd series which previously wouldn't have been an issue.

Fine for those that want a little more than a xxxd but would leave those that want less frills wrapped into a sturdy xd based body wanting. It would seem two fingers have been raised to those that require this now and the only choice is to spend spend spend on the 7d.

Last edited:
Guys.... just a thought most of you will use lots of features on top end cameras..... I donT thing this is aimed at you ( although the cost is high ) so may be thats why its looking so so to you ?

TBH half the joy of cameras is not what features its got but how you can use the basics to take photos imho....

Terran

Guys.... just a thought most of you will use lots of features on top end cameras..... I donT thing this is aimed at you ( although the cost is high ) so may be thats why its looking so so to you ?

TBH half the joy of cameras is not what features its got but how you can use the basics to take photos imho....

Terran

That's fair enough but if that's the case you can just buy the 550d

Argh.

CF cards are also a lot more likely to survive any damage than SD cards are. They can take quite a lot of punishment.

If anything, for me this is the death knell for XH and XL series camcorders.

"Maximum recording time is 11 minutes"

I think that is not a great feature. I can't see a mention of video autofocus either.

"the 60D has a polycarbonate plastic resin exterior over an aluminum chassis"

That is more or less the same as 400D, this is not the fancy composite material chasis as we talked in the previous page.

http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/content_display/reviews/e3i7666b0f9857950214c319c4a13ebd78b

Back