Canon 6D - Any alternatives or regrets from owners?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I have currently got all my Canon kit other than an 85mm up on eBay as decided I was finally going to change up to full frame.

The 6D seems to tick all the boxes, 90% of my shooting is portrait style and I always use centre point focus and recompose so have no issues with its AF and the WiFi would be a really handy addition although not critical.

I've budgeted around £1000 for a new body so will either be going second hand or grey import. Just wondered if anyone had any regrets about going to a 6D or even if the Nikon fans can suggest a better Nikon for the same price as I'll be pretty much starting from scratch lens wise anyway.

Last edited:
Well I'll have the 85mm just to get going with but tempted with the 6d & 24-105 f4 kit as would be perfect for a walkabout and then add some primes in as finances allow.

Had a 6D (after getting rid off a Nikon D800 Far better cam than the 6D) didn't really get on with its focusing after a while so switched to the 5D Mark III and didn't get on with my copy of the camera so ended up with a Canon 1Ds Mark III bit of a odd move but just love the one series and far more durable, gets the shots I need wth 22mp and loving it still :)

Last edited:
I love mine, the focus is a step backward after the 7d, but it delivers in pitch dark conditions. Without moving from Canon, it's definitely the best use of your money. That said I was determined I would move slowly to FF but once I had the 6d in hand I needed a full set of lenses to go with it - so far it's cost me a 17-35 Tamron, 35 Sigma Art and a 135 f2L

I always hate to admit this, but if I was starting tomorrow I'd buy Nikon like a shot - my brand loyalty isn't that strong but the amount of kit I'd need to shift is.

I personally found the move to full frame underwhelming and a waste of a lot of money for the barely noticeable improvements it offered in my images, but that was on the Nikon side.

I love mine, the focus is a step backward after the 7d, but it delivers in pitch dark conditions. Without moving from Canon, it's definitely the best use of your money. That said I was determined I would move slowly to FF but once I had the 6d in hand I needed a full set of lenses to go with it - so far it's cost me a 17-35 Tamron, 35 Sigma Art and a 135 f2L

I always hate to admit this, but if I was starting tomorrow I'd buy Nikon like a shot - my brand loyalty isn't that strong but the amount of kit I'd need to shift is.
What would you buy Phil?

Considered a Nikon d610? More megapixels, more frames per second. Cheaper.

I have, that was the closest I could find Nikon wise to the 6d and had been under the impression Nikon sensors were generally better at higher iso's but the reviews seem to say otherwise between these two. The megapixels and frames per second don't really affect me but the quality at higher iso does, plus the WiFi and even the gps could be handy on trips away which the Nikon lacks.

Had a 6D (after getting rid off a Nikon D800 Far better cam than the 6D) didn't really get on with its focusing after a while so switched to the 5D Mark III and didn't get on with my copy of the camera so ended up with a Canon 1Ds Mark III bit of a odd move but just love the one series and far more durable, gets the shots I need wth 22mp and loving it still :)

What didnt you like about the focusing system? How did you tend to use the AF system as I only tend to use center point so the 6d seemed like itd be more than adequate.

The focusing in dark conditions really appeals to me as my 60D does struggle inside in the evenings and I hear the 6D locks focus in very low light.
Out of curiosity how come youd start again with Nikon?

I personally found the move to full frame underwhelming and a waste of a lot of money for the barely noticeable improvements it offered in my images, but that was on the Nikon side.

I'm hoping it's more the low light shots that will be a massive improvement over the cropped bodies rather than daytime photos.

The focusing in dark conditions really appeals to me as my 60D does struggle inside in the evenings and I hear the 6D locks focus in very low light.
Out of curiosity how come youd start again with Nikon?
The 6d is brilliant, but generally I have felt so let down by Canon's sensors in the last few years.

Get a nikon d610 and a decent glass on the front! Better all round than the 6d

I have a 6D as a second/backup body alongside my 5D3. It's a great camera! It may not have some of the features of the 5D3 but the image quality and high-ISO performance is fractionally better, if anything.

The AF system is obviously the biggest difference but, if you're not trying to track moving targets with AI Servo and mainly use the central point then it's perfectly adequate. I have had times when peripheral focus points won't lock in low light and I've had to switch to using the central one but that's all. I don't use the Wifi or GPS at all so can't comment on those features.

My only slight gripe with it is the size - it's too small for my hands, especially next to the 5D3. I grip all my bodies anyway and, with the grip attached, it handles far better.

What didnt you like about the focusing system? How did you tend to use the AF system as I only tend to use center point so the 6d seemed like itd be more than adequate.

I do a lot of wildlife photography so many tracking in flight etc, admittedly I only use full frame DSLR's for static shots these days and the 7DII for in flight subjects, the 6D when tracking stilts was always a pain as it kept losing and going to background and they were slow moving targets but still got the results after a while, just a lot of hit and miss, couldn't get a single wader in flight with the 6D was way to slow too focus for me and a 500mm anyways. These days the 1Ds III suits me perfectly, the ISO range is pretty bad but I don't tend to go above 1250 on anything so it works for what I do very well.

Get a nikon d610 and a decent glass on the front! Better all round than the 6d

Better in what way? Be interested to hear your arguments in favour of the D610 as after reading reviews I'm yet to view it favourably for my usage considering their similar in price? Not against switching to Nikon just want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for buck.

I have a 6D as a second/backup body alongside my 5D3. It's a great camera! It may not have some of the features of the 5D3 but the image quality and high-ISO performance is fractionally better, if anything.

The AF system is obviously the biggest difference but, if you're not trying to track moving targets with AI Servo and mainly use the central point then it's perfectly adequate. I have had times when peripheral focus points won't lock in low light and I've had to switch to using the central one but that's all. I don't use the Wifi or GPS at all so can't comment on those features.

My only slight gripe with it is the size - it's too small for my hands, especially next to the 5D3. I grip all my bodies anyway and, with the grip attached, it handles far better.

Unfortuantly the 5D3 is a little over budget or I would be tempted as it does seem the better all round camera but I'd be looking at around £500 more.
To be fair I'd rather it was a little bigger but I've got used to the 60D now and it's supposedly very similar so shouldn't be a problem.

I do a lot of wildlife photography so many tracking in flight etc, admittedly I only use full frame DSLR's for static shots these days and the 7DII for in flight subjects, the 6D when tracking stilts was always a pain as it kept losing and going to background and they were slow moving targets but still got the results after a while, just a lot of hit and miss, couldn't get a single wader in flight with the 6D was way to slow too focus for me and a 500mm anyways. These days the 1Ds III suits me perfectly, the ISO range is pretty bad but I don't tend to go above 1250 on anything so it works for what I do very well.

For me it's the opposite, a toddlers the fastest moving thing I'd be shooting and to be able to bump up the ISO would be quite an advantage.
I've not used the 7DII but knowing how well the 7D focuses especially on moving objects I can't imagine the 6D being a patch on it for tracking.

I'm not a photographer but have a 6d.Off what you say in your opening statement it will be perfect for you. Simple camera easy menu. Obviously you know your stuff but I guess what i'm saying it is a no frills easy to navigate camera deliverying great results.
I bought mine from hdew saved a tidy sum too.

Gaz

I'm not a photographer but have a 6d.Off what you say in your opening statement it will be perfect for you. Simple camera easy menu. Obviously you know your stuff but I guess what i'm saying it is a no frills easy to navigate camera deliverying great results.
I bought mine from hdew saved a tidy sum too.

Gaz

I hadn't looking into hdew but perhaps that's another to look into, I used digital rev once before a few years ago but was thinking of going with panamoz after reading some positive things about them and their warranty.

I have just noticed this (moving from a 40D with grip.
Problem having big hands.....
I think that a grip will be ordered soon enough - albeit a non Canon version - the cost is ridiculous.....

I have just noticed this (moving from a 40D with grip.
Problem having big hands.....
I think that a grip will be ordered soon enough - albeit a non Canon version - the cost is ridiculous.....

I felt the same going from a 50D to a 60D, seemed a big change and even now I'd still prefer the slightly bigger size but you do get used to it after a while and always handy having a grip ready to stick on for longer portrait sessions.

I like the balance of the 40D with the grip, and the additional functionality of having the shutter on the grip.
The 2x battery life is also a bonus.

Anyone have any real life reviews?

What would you buy Phil?
I couldn't say for definite, but Nikon started to look attractive when they put dual card slots in their midrange cameras, and then when their high ISO performance started to beat Canon's by more than a stop.

Even now, Canon are short of cameras with dual card slots, the 60d and 6d would both have them if they were Nikon's. :(

The focus system on the 6d should be better, and it should have 2 card slots, and the dual function buttons from the xxd range but Canon are scared of it treading on the toes of the 5dIII, Nikon seem to have more confidence across the range.

On the upside, I like the smaller size of the 6d, the idea of carrying 2 5dIIIs with 2.8 zooms isn't an attractive proposition for a 12 hour day.

I'd say for all round capabilities at the price the 6D is a cracking camera. My history is bridge > 5DMk1 > 6D so the last leap was nearly as much as the first step. The 24-105mm and 70-200mm f/4 lenses are my walkabouts. I suspect the 5DMk3 coupled with the 70-200mm f/2.8 is a much better option but is probably over double the price of my combination.

For me I don't notice focusing issues too much as I'm not usually going for split second moments but it does have to have a little think on occasion I do admit. Quite agree with Phil on the lack of 2 card slots but then it is over £1k cheaper than other Canon's that have this facility. ISO is excellent.

Would never say it's the best camera but its value for money takes some beating - I got mine for £920 including a 16Gb card back in January. Sort of grey import of eBay - UK based and received within 2 days.

This site might be of help: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

I have a 6D and use it to compliment my 7D (which I'm just about to upgrade to a Mk2). I love it.

This was shot a couple of weeks ago at WWT Arundel, 6D 24-105 f4@ ISO800. JPG straight from camera and cropped in PS, slight sharpness tweak (and I mean slight...)

swan by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

The camera is light, good value for FF, and I've shot all sorts on it, including wildlife. I have the Mk 50mm f1.8 (yes, I bought it with my EOS620 many, many years ago) and that's superb, the 85mm f1.8 is also lovely. Couple it to my 150-600 and it still delivers great images.

This is a manual focus on the 6D with the 150-600 plus 1.4 EX.

moon2 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

They say you can't polish a t***. This is true, but my t***s seem a lot more polished when using the 6D.... :)

Hope that helps.....

Is it the 6d with only 11 af points and one card slot and expensive canon glass.....

Is it the 6d with only 11 af points and one card slot and expensive canon glass.....

Well considering the images above, the 24-105 is very old tech for L glass, and the other was shot on a Sigma. And my point was that I feel my photography has moved on since buying the 6D. I think it's back to basics style has been really useful.

I agree! I know a couple of really good togs with 6d's! But op was asking what we thought was better

Op says they use centre focus point and recomposes after focus...... Does that not set the exposure too? Which could be out..... Just an observation...... I admit I do the same

I use BBF & no problem.:)

This was shot a couple of weeks ago at WWT Arundel, 6D 24-105 f4@ ISO800. JPG straight from camera and cropped in PS, slight sharpness tweak (and I mean slight...)

swan by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Have to admit that's impressed me at f4, if I'd of guessed id of though a longer telephoto and f2.8 for the picture to pop like that. Defenitly going to be my walk around combination I think.

Pretty sure it's still more than my 60D has but even then I've still only used the one. As for the card slot I'm not a pro so while that extra safe guard would be ressuring it's not really going to make much difference to me when I'm pretty quick at copying to a computer anyway.

OP only uses centre point so it doesn't matter if it has 11 or 5 bazillion. Any quality glass is expensive whether it be Nikon or Canon...

Have you considered a second hand body?

Yea normally I do look for second hand but eBay prices seem to be very similar second hand as they are for a new grey import so I'd rather have a foreign warranty than none at all for the same money.

I agree! I know a couple of really good togs with 6d's! But op was asking what we thought was better

What would you consider better for the money?

Op says they use centre focus point and recomposes after focus...... Does that not set the exposure too? Which could be out..... Just an observation...... I admit I do the same

I use back button focusing so I'll set the focus, then recompose and press the trigger which sets the exposure. Of course also gives me the option of setting the focus and exposure on an object and then recompsosing if I wish.

Lovely camera, awesome IQ. I also have no problem whatsoever with the AF. More than good enough for fast sports and my airbourne dogs!

Last edited:
I'm not sure about cost but the only Nikon I'd consider instead of a 6D is the D750. I think that might be a bit more though. In general the 6D is still my ideal camera, good sensor, great for landscape and night photography and relatively light. I BBF with the centre point so don't need super AF. Likewise I don't have a need for 2 slots.
When I was buying it a lot of people said I'd want a 5D3 but I didn't and I still don't. If I was going to change I'd be looking at a much more expensive A7R2 and adapter for some of my Canon glass.

I'm not sure about cost but the only Nikon I'd consider instead of a 6D is the D750. I think that might be a bit more though. In general the 6D is still my ideal camera, good sensor, great for landscape and night photography and relatively light. I BBF with the centre point so don't need super AF. Likewise I don't have a need for 2 slots.
When I was buying it a lot of people said I'd want a 5D3 but I didn't and I still don't. If I was going to change I'd be looking at a much more expensive A7R2 and adapter for some of my Canon glass.

Just been reading up on the Nikon D750 and has piped my interest, seems to be everything the 5D3 is but only around £200 more than the 6D rather than £500.

Has anyone else got any opinions on the D750? This will be by far the most expensive camera body I've brought and hopefully will last a fair while.

Just been reading up on the Nikon D750 and has piped my interest, seems to be everything the 5D3 is but only around £200 more than the 6D rather than £500.

Has anyone else got any opinions on the D750? This will be by far the most expensive camera body I've brought and hopefully will last a fair while.
There's a thread on here somewhere just for it, and the 6d for that matter :)

There's a thread on here somewhere just for it, and the 6d for that matter :)

As in the owners thread? I'll have a read up of that, was just hoping someone might have a bit of experience of it with comparison to the 6D, long shot I know.

As in the owners thread? I'll have a read up of that, was just hoping someone might have a bit of experience of it with comparison to the 6D, long shot I know.
TBH they're different beasts and not directly comparable as such. It's the Nikon equivalent of the 5d3.

TBH they're different beasts and not directly comparable as such. It's the Nikon equivalent of the 5d3.

I did get the impression it was the 5D3 equivalent just without such a price tag, it still fits just within my budget. If its a worthwhile step up from the 6D I'm happy to change to Nikon so think I'll have to have a bit of research into it as had only looked at the D610 and D800.

looks like the 6D is perfect for you. I recently sold my 60D and ef-s lenses to buy a 6D and 16-35mm f/4. So far very pleased. IQ is significantly better and for what i'm doing, the more detail the better (architectural)

Back