Canon 6D - Any alternatives or regrets from owners?

The only other benefit I can see is if you wanted to sell it to someone like MPB. that said you're as likely to get more selling it on here or eBay.
MPB treat an import identically to a UK warehoused body after the warranty expires, in my experience anyway. That said, I don't know if an Asian charger with adapter might lower the used price based on appearance alone, common sense says it shouldn't!

MPB treat an import identically to a UK warehoused body after the warranty expires, in my experience anyway. That said, I don't know if an Asian charger with adapter might lower the used price based on appearance alone, common sense says it shouldn't!
Not from my experience - they wouldn't touch an import with a barge pole. I've tried to sell stuff to them before and they have always asked for a receipt to check its UK stock. I've even bought stuff 2nd hand from here and they wouldn't allow me to sell it to them unless I had the original receipt to prove its UK

A massive bonus will be that the 70-200 won't be sodding white. :D

Won't be as good either :p ;)

In all seriousness I like white lenses, they have a nice tendency to part the waves - people seem to make more room for you when you're brandishing one :)

Haha :p

I have genuinely experienced other people moving out of my way when I'm trying to get a shot, even apologising in the process. It's kind of embarassing actually as, even if I have better gear than others, I don't feel I'm any more deserving of space or access to a shot than they are.

I guess you just stand out more with a big white lens, which can be a good or bad thing depending on the circumstances.

Well after originally starting this as I wanted a 6D I've decided to switch over to Nikon with the D750, it's just so much better spec'd for not much more money. Not seen any well priced second hand ones so think I'll give it another couple weeks and I can order one from panamoz along with a couple of Nikon lens to get me going.
Thanks for all the advice and especially to the poster that brought the D750 to my attention.

Well after originally starting this as I wanted a 6D I've decided to switch over to Nikon with the D750, it's just so much better spec'd for not much more money. Not seen any well priced second hand ones so think I'll give it another couple weeks and I can order one from panamoz along with a couple of Nikon lens to get me going.
Thanks for all the advice and especially to the poster that brought the D750 to my attention.

You'll love the D750!

I do love my 7D, but over the last week or so I have been looking at the 6D as my next camera as the thought of going to Full Frame is rather exciting. If I am able to save for a few months and get the 6D with something like the 24-105L to get me started, then I will keep my 7D as a second body & keep hold of the existing lens I have for it. Part of me is looking forward to The Photography Show next month as it will be my first time, but another part of me is worried that once I pick up a Full Frame at the show, I will become even more determined in getting one in a few months. :oops: :$:D

I do love my 7D, but over the last week or so I have been looking at the 6D as my next camera as the thought of going to Full Frame is rather exciting. If I am able to save for a few months and get the 6D with something like the 24-105L to get me started, then I will keep my 7D as a second body & keep hold of the existing lens I have for it. Part of me is looking forward to The Photography Show next month as it will be my first time, but another part of me is worried that once I pick up a Full Frame at the show, I will become even more determined in getting one in a few months. :oops: :$:D
In my opinion that would be a great combination ... 6D/7D and 24-105mm. Love my 6D and am always happy to recommend it.

I used to have a 7D, then bought a 5D3 with the intention of using both in a "best of both worlds" way. I barely touched the 7D afterward and it was duly sold and replaced with a 6D.

I'm not saying crop cameras don't have advantages and, depending on what you shoot, they may be more suited than full frame but, in my case, once I'd gone FF, crop didn't interest me any more.

It's also worth noting that the 5D3 was superior to the 7D in every way so all I was losing was the crop factor itself, whereas the 6D doesn't have the 7D AF abilities so, if you value those for shooting fast moving action and so forth, there may be value in keeping the 7D alongside the 6D. I'd still recommend getting the 6D though, regardless of whether you retain the 7D alongside it. It's an amazing camera for the money and outperforms the 5D3 in some ways.

Don't fight the power of the 6d ... Embrace it!!

Last edited:
I upgraded from my 40D to a 6D and still love it.
I did slightly miss the crop factor and high FPS that I got from the 40D and the focus system is not the best for fast moving subjects.

Recently I also bought a 7DMkii to get back the crop, high FPS and advanced focus system for birds and wildlife, but my goto camera is normally the 6D.

You'll love the D750!

Well I've had it for best part of a week now and safe to say I do love the D750, best thing I did moving full frame. Can focus quickly and easily in light the 60D would of never locked on, has all the features of the 5Diii plus WiFi and yet about £400 less.

Id seriously recommend anyone thinking of changing to a full frame Canon to at least look at the Nikon offering. I've only ever used Canon before but after a few days got to grips with the differences and much happier than if I'd settled for the focusing of the 6D or spent another £400 for a 5Diii.

Well I've had it for best part of a week now and safe to say I do love the D750, best thing I did moving full frame. Can focus quickly and easily in light the 60D would of never locked on, has all the features of the 5Diii plus WiFi and yet about £400 less.

Id seriously recommend anyone thinking of changing to a full frame Canon to at least look at the Nikon offering. I've only ever used Canon before but after a few days got to grips with the differences and much happier than if I'd settled for the focusing of the 6D or spent another £400 for a 5Diii.
I think people do, they buy what suits them :)

I think people do, they buy what suits them :)

I think sometimes people don't realise what would suit them even better though as I've always been a Canon man and hadn't even considered a Nikon until someone mentioned a D750, if they hadn't I most likely would of bought a 6D as the 5Diii would of been more than I wanted to spend.

I think sometimes people don't realise what would suit them even better though as I've always been a Canon man and hadn't even considered a Nikon until someone mentioned a D750, if they hadn't I most likely would of bought a 6D as the 5Diii would of been more than I wanted to spend.
It's not as simple as that though. TBH most cameras nowadays are much of a muchness in terms of output (sensor size relative) it's more to do with the system. As someone who's invested in a lot of Canon lenses, it would make no sense for me to switch to any other brand. And TBH you couldn't tell the difference between the final output of most of today's FF cameras. It's fine if you've only got a couple of lenses but to change to a whole system there needs to be more than a few hundred £ saved or a few more AF points.

I'm quite often trying other gear too, I have Canon, Sony and Fuji at home and Nikon at work. I still prefer my 6d to all of them :)

Last edited:
It's not as simple as that though. TBH most cameras nowadays are much of a muchness in terms of output (sensor size relative) it's more to do with the system. As someone who's invested in a lot of Canon lenses, it would make no sense for me to switch to any other brand. And TBH you couldn't tell the difference between the final output of most of today's FF cameras. It's fine if you've only got a couple of lenses but to change to a whole system there needs to be more than a few hundred £ saved or a few more AF points.

I'm quite often trying other gear too, I have Canon, Sony and Fuji at home and Nikon at work. I'm still prefer my 6d to all of them :)

I completely agree sometimes it's just not economical to change but for me as I was going from crop to full frame most of my lens I was selling anyway, when i decided to change to Nikon i only had my 85mm and flashes left. I would imagine a number of amateurs to be in a similar position so always worth exploring all the options.

I completely agree sometimes it's just not economical to change but for me as I was going from crop to full frame most of my lens I was selling anyway, when i decided to change to Nikon i only had my 85mm and flashes left. I would imagine a number of amateurs to be in a similar position so always worth exploring all the options.
Definitely. When you have an empty page, you've got to look at everything. At the moment people should be looking at the new Pentax K1 as well as Nikon / Canon, which looks awesome, especially for the money, but then, lenses...

Definitely. When you have an empty page, you've got to look at everything. At the moment people should be looking at the new Pentax K1 as well as Nikon / Canon, which looks awesome, especially for the money, but then, lenses...

I've heard a lot of good things and noticed a lot of guys going from Canon or Nikon to Pentax and Sony etc recently. As you mention though it's the lens situation that puts me off, I find Nikon a little lacking lens wise in some aspects compared to Canon let alone the smaller markets.

Recently I also bought a 7DMkii to get back the crop, high FPS and advanced focus system for birds and wildlife, but my goto camera is normally the 6D.

Same here, I have my 7DMk2 permanently strapped to a long lens, but the 6D is "regular" body used with a number of lenses. It's being used with a 50mm f1.2 at the moment, and the results are epic.

Back