Canon 6D & Lenses > Sony A7R II - Upgrading?

Edit My Images
No
Please forgive me if this has been discussed and feel free to direct me to a relevant post. My search only brought up a huge thread with over 400 pages.

I currently have a Canon 6D, 70-200 F4 IS and 16-35mm F4 IS. I do landscape photography.

I am thinking about switching my body to the Sony A7R II mainly for the better dynamic range and importantly for me its the size as I travel alot.

My question is can i simply swap out my 6D for the A7R II and keep my canon lenses? I hear an adaptor is available but are there any compromises?

Or is it better to sell everything and start again from scratch buying a new body and new lenses?

Thank you

Tom

1. My question is can i simply swap out my 6D for the A7R II and keep my canon lenses?

2. I hear an adaptor is available but are there any compromises?

3. Or is it better to sell everything and start again from scratch buying a new body and new lenses?

I have numbered your questions so I can answer them in order

1. Yes by using adapters
1+2. you will get basic usable AF. You can even use centre point to track few things but not much more than this. You won't get the other native AF options like eye-AF, expanded AF (for tracking again) and DMF (similar to FTM with canon lenses you can still use but putting it in this mode also gives full time focus peaking which is nice). Also more expensive because you need to take into account cost of adapter (you can spend anywhere from £40-400 on one).

3. Well native lenses will always be better in terms of support. Native options are available for both your lenses. If dynamic range and landscape is your main concern you might just be better off buying A7R (first gen) with native lenses. The main improvements with A7RII is:
- 6mp (not as huge a difference as it sounds)
- better high ISO performance not that A7R is bad (but at base ISO A7R actually has more dynamic range)
- Better AF and adapter support for AF lenses (definitely lot better because A7R uses only CDAF)
- IBIS
- EFCS and silent shutter
- 4K video

If landscape is your main concern not sure how many of the above actually makes any difference...

p.s. if you use canon lenses or even native equivalents you won't save much on weight (it'll still be smaller/lighter). You'll save on size if you use small prime lenses like FE28, FE35, CV10/12/15 etc.

Last edited:
Please forgive me if this has been discussed and feel free to direct me to a relevant post. My search only brought up a huge thread with over 400 pages.

I currently have a Canon 6D, 70-200 F4 IS and 16-35mm F4 IS. I do landscape photography.

I am thinking about switching my body to the Sony A7R II mainly for the better dynamic range and importantly for me its the size as I travel alot.

My question is can i simply swap out my 6D for the A7R II and keep my canon lenses? I hear an adaptor is available but are there any compromises?

Or is it better to sell everything and start again from scratch buying a new body and new lenses?

Thank you

Tom

For landscapes where AF speed isn't of the essence I think you'd be fine with the adapted Canon lenses, and I believe the two you have would work well with the available adaptors.
Certainly for landscapes where your not shooting anything thats "fast" or tracking the AF performance would be more than adequate and where it may struggle in low light you can always manual focus. I used a couple of Canon lenses on an A7ii when I tried one for exactly that same thing, landscapes and found it fine. The A7rii is a better camera though, the IQ is stellar and the AF is even better, I'm only moving mine on because I got an outstanding deal on something a little better!

Keeping your Canon lenses would give you the chance to try the Sony first too, you may end up not liking it, it smaller but that has its own downsize with smaller buttons, etc.

For landscapes where AF speed isn't of the essence I think you'd be fine with the adapted Canon lenses, and I believe the two you have would work well with the available adaptors.
Certainly for landscapes where your not shooting anything thats "fast" or tracking the AF performance would be more than adequate and where it may struggle in low light you can always manual focus. I used a couple of Canon lenses on an A7ii when I tried one for exactly that same thing, landscapes and found it fine. The A7rii is a better camera though, the IQ is stellar and the AF is even better, I'm only moving mine on because I got an outstanding deal on something a little better!

Keeping your Canon lenses would give you the chance to try the Sony first too, you may end up not liking it, it smaller but that has its own downsize with smaller buttons, etc.

I don't use AF adapted lenses but I just wanted to chirp in on the subject of manual focusing. If you have the time to focus manually you can get really good accuracy using peaking and/or the magnified view.

Back