CANON 70-200 f2.8 - non IS version worth it?

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I might have the chance to pick up a very bruised and battered non-IS version of the classic 'workhorse' lens.

It's an old lens from a photographer (pics to follow) and I don't know the price yet, but is it worth picking up the non-IS one bearing in mind I won't be using it for sports or am I better off saving some more pennies and getting at least an IS one.

What will I use it for? Probably lots of things, but essentially for all those occasions where my 24-70 2.8 isn't quite long enough, but I do need the wider aperture. So some events (concerts etc) where I'm further back than I'd like to be.

Is the lack of IS in these sorts of occasions going to be a problem?

Obviously, a lot will depend on final price - which I won't know till Monday.

Last edited:
I still have the 80-200 f2.8L (aka the Magic Drainpipe) obviously it's non-IS still takes cracking shots. Zoom ring is a little the worse for wear, but I've sourced a replacement... enjoy.

I own the non IS version of it and it’s fantastic, I mostly use it for portraits and occasional landscapes and never had an issue as it’s mostly used wide open with decent lighting, I’d say if the usage condition of it is good and the price is reflected in the cosmetic appearance then it’s worth grabbing, same with any other lens without IS, you just have to adapt and work along with it, but it’s no serious set back by any means.

I have a 70-200mm non IS (VC) Tamron f2.8 . So in theory there is an analogy of sorts here. In good lighting you won’t notice it (lack of IS) but come lower lighting when your shutter speed starts to drop below 1/250th you may find it limiting. I would consider how the price compares to modern F4 Tamron and 3rd party zooms which nearly all have IS and are sharp wide open.

From the OP - "Is the lack of IS in these sorts of occasions going to be a problem? "

Well opinions differ. For what it is worth I use Canon lenses from 16 to 800mm and several have IS - I do not use it as it mucks up too many shots and interferes with AF performance. I would (do) consider the lack of IS to be a distinct advantage.

Just my thoughts..............

Thanks all for the thoughts.

I’m going to take my camera to work on Monday.

I figure if I take a few shots inside the office, it might give me an idea of whether it would be a useful lens for me.

But, as mentioned, if the cost is too much then I’ll bail, but if it’s not too high then maybe I’ll go for it and see how much use it gets.

if I use it a lot, then maybe I’ll look to upgrade when I can afford to.

Last edited:
I had the non IS version for years, it is a great lens, just a bit heavy.

I’ve got the non is version too. Brilliant lens - the best when it came out re image quality and af speed etc. mine is really worn though and the zoom ring is very loose!
I agree with the comments above no is is an advantage in my eyes.
Also it’s still a current production lens so part availability is not an issue

For those of you with the non-IS version, do your respective cameras use IS?

Just had it on my camera and I have to say it's a little 'cloudy'.

Anyone any idea how much a lens clean is - or if it's even possible.

Just trying to work out if it's worth a punt.

Until this morning I've never laid hands on a lens with IS - none of the bodies I've owned have had it either.

Lens clean runs to about £200 at Lehmann's as part of the Gold Service (I'm sure other service centres are available)

For those of you with the non-IS version, do your respective cameras use IS?

Just had it on my camera and I have to say it's a little 'cloudy'.

Anyone any idea how much a lens clean is - or if it's even possible.

Just trying to work out if it's worth a punt.
If it genuinely has any issues then I'd walk away, this appears to have been quite a popular lens and there should still be plenty of them around that don't have any issues, and probably something like 6 to 12 month warranty (and associated peace of mind) if bought from a reputable dealership too.

If it genuinely has any issues then I'd walk away, this appears to have been quite a popular lens and there should still be plenty of them around that don't have any issues, and probably something like 6 to 12 month warranty (and associated peace of mind) if bought from a reputable dealership too.
this^
Unless this lens is literally a gift - there's plenty about and Sigma OS versions for similar money too, don't get me wrong - it's a great lens (possibly my most used lens as I've had it so long) but they're neither special nor rare.

The nearest camera shop to me is on Camden High Street.

Called Nichols Cameras.

I just googled the reviews. :exit:
Fixation in Kennington? They fixed my busted 7D and "out-of-kilter" 70-200 in about 3 days. Their website has prices for service/clean etc

Thanks.
I’ve used fixation before to have my old 600d’s sensor cleaned.

However, I think this particular lens was a little too bashed up. There was also a fairly heavy scratch on the front element.

It disappeared when zoomed in to 200, but was visible at 70.

I’ve returned it. Never did find out how much he wanted, but it seemed like too much of a gamble.

Last edited:
Quite right, there will be hundreds out there that haven't got a heavy scratch on the front element if you want one. I usually find that quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten. (y)

Back