Canon 70-200 F4 is or not?

The one at £479 has a cracked body, and is being sold as spares or repair with no warranty! They have some others in better condition at £599.

Hi Simon, good point above about the cheaper lens although it is described as "in good working order". The £599 lenses might be preferred ?

Clifton cameras doing 12 months interest free on either but a £100 more for the IS:) than panamoz

I'm going to be keeping this lens(honest) so wondering for the longterm better to get the IS .

f4 non IS on FF (1dsmk2)

7916286150_8b24138fc1_b.jpg

and on APS-C (30d)

7184320759_ed102cf5e9_b.jpg

always been enough lens for me.

Hi SsSsSsSsSnake

Great lens, great deal. I would be delighted if I were you. Look forward to seeing some images.

Tripod collar is a rip of price from canon

You don't need one for the F4 lens - If you do want one / go for a tripod collar and not the Canon one, make sure it's a good quality one otherwise it could scratch the lens barrel and you don't want it to fail and your lens / body drop...

anybody used both,if so what were your thoughts on the differences?
thanks

I have had both lenses. I upgraded to the IS version a few months ago. The IS version is definitely superior. Better focusing, it focuses faster and does not refocus for no need and it does not focus to out of focus. Sharper than the non-IS, even with IS turned off and on a tripod. I like the images better, they look to have better colour and resolution.

Having IS makes the lens so much more useful and it sees a lot more time out of the bag than the non-IS did. Being able to shoot at 1/30th 200mm at 3200 ISO makes it a very useful low light lens.

The slightly more elements etc are more important than the IS. It's a different lens altogether..............it's not just £350 for the IS as most folk seem to think

Depends on what you are shooting. The IS is crucial for me.

Edit: And I agree, it's not just the IS :)

Last edited:
I bought the f/4 none-IS and eventually sold it for the f/2.8 IS version because I wanted 'better'.
  • My experience was the none-IS f/4 version was very sharp, something the f2/.8 IS never quite matched, although it was sharp enough.
  • The f/4 was light enough to use, the f2.8 IS was too heavy to bother taking out too often
  • On the f/2.8 IS the IS was useful when hand holding / Portraits, but when using it out for sports (mostly kids football / surfing), the IS was irrelevant as it was the subject moving not me.
Over time I regretted selling the f/4.0, and re-evaluated my definition of 'better'. The f/4 None-IS is a great lens, you will not regret it.

Last edited:
I really appreciate everyones all your contributions.
Having thought about it whilst waiting for currys to deliver to my store ive thought yes i would get on great with this lens but i also thought
Im going to be keeping this as long as i have a Canon so why not at least have the option of IS just for when it might come in handy.
In short ive cancelled the currys order and am looking for best deal on the F4 IS ;).
Thanks again.

A quick look through the usual suspect for the 70-200L f/4 IS turned up:
MPB £599 (s/h), Panamoz £694, HDEW £705, Jessops £797, Currys £797, Amazon £797, Park (Can't find one), WEX £805, Calumet £805
There are, of course, other vendors out there

What camera are you going to be using this on? Your profile has you down as a Nikon D3300 user...
I ask because I have a 70-200 L f/4 and it's a great lens, but since moving to FF I've found that it's often a little short so have just added a 70-300L to the bag (obv. this isn't a fixed aperture).

ETA Simply Electronics @ £653 - I have no idea what these guys are like, and they are Hong Kong based, so you would need to do research before deciding whether to go with these.

Last edited:
I really appreciate everyones all your contributions.
Having thought about it whilst waiting for currys to deliver to my store ive thought yes i would get on great with this lens but i also thought
Im going to be keeping this as long as i have a Canon so why not at least have the option of IS just for when it might come in handy.
In short ive cancelled the currys order and am looking for best deal on the F4 IS ;).
Thanks again.

Good choice :)

I keep almost buying a 70-200mm f4 to replace my ancient 70-210mm f4 (which incidentally I love but the AF bugs me!) I always want to get the IS version but know that I'd end up buying the non IS the price difference is crazy, the lenses are close enough in performance that all you are really getting is IS ( I know the designs are different it has more elements and a rubber ring on the mount yada yada but all I care about is the pictures!) which canon can fit to the cheapest kit lens and give away free!

Back