Canon 77D

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I am just looking for some opinions or advice please.

I currently have a Canon 550D which I have had for some years now, most of the time I use a 17-40 lens on it.
Before that I had a 20D, and I went for the 550d as it was smaller, as most of my stuff is landscape whilst out walking, or travel stuff, now doing a bit of town buildings and the such like.

Whilst I have been very pleased with the 550D, the only aspect I find annoying is lack of detail, or it might be noise in some of the images. I was in the New Forrest last week, and when you look closely at some of the ferns or leaves they lack detail.

So....long story....short:)

I was thinking of getting a 77D, I think that might suit me better than a 80D as it is smaller, and everything I have read is the the 77D is the basically the same as the 80D but in a plastic non weather proof case rather than an aluminium.

If you want small, consider the 200D. Bear in mind that the 200D has a basic AF system compared to the 77D but the image quality should be the same. It’s best to try it out to see how the body feels in your hand and the controls.

Hi thanks for getting back to me, I am ok with the size, tried it yesterday in a store.
I was more interested in how much better the detail in the images might be compared to my 550, with it hopefully being a newer, therefore better ? :)

Hi thanks for getting back to me, I am ok with the size, tried it yesterday in a store.
I was more interested in how much better the detail in the images might be compared to my 550, with it hopefully being a newer, therefore better ? :)
You have to bear in mind sensors are generational So the 80d sensor has made it's way down the range, the 77d shares the same sensor, the 200d doesn't, it uses the older sensor.

I was just going by DXO which I realise that not everyone believes.
https://www.dxomark.com/canon-eos-200d-sensor-review/
I am not sure how an increase of 6mp over your old camera will come across. You may not notice much of a difference. In terms of noise the new generation of Canon sensors have seen an improvement.

Last edited:
I have the 77d, went from a 50d to it and I think it’s a great improvement, it’s smaller, lighter and has better sensor and technology, I like it a lot [emoji106]

Oh cheers for that, I was not too sure whether to go for it, as it is a fair bit of money when you are not too sure how much benift there will be.
So that has helped, I think one more look and feel of it and I will teat myself..cheers.

I don't know what other lenses you have, but maybe a used 6d from mpb (a good condition one from £750). A full frame camera, with very good high ISO performance, small for a ff camera and used by many as a landscape/portrait camera. Downside is the af system, it's quite basic, i think it maybe the same as you already have.

Hi, thanks for the different view, the reason why I went from my 20D to the 550D, and why I am looking at the 77D is the size.
with them being a bit smaller, it makes it a bit easier in rucksacks and the all :)
But thank for the thoughts.

Oh cheers for that, I was not too sure whether to go for it, as it is a fair bit of money when you are not too sure how much benift there will be.
So that has helped, I think one more look and feel of it and I will teat myself..cheers.

Using it more over the last couple of weeks, the grip fits my hand nicely.
Impressed with the performance on it so far, handles higher iso better than the 50d, quite impressed
I looked at the 800d as well but didn’t like the fact it had no top LCD
I was torn between this and the 80d but couldn’t quite stretch the funds to the 80d.
It’s an easy camera to carry all day[emoji106]

Last edited:
80d has 1/8000 shutter, pentaprism viewfinder, 100% coverage viewfinder, tougher / weatherseal, much better battery life, slightly higher fps. And at first glance the 80d has more dedicated buttons but not looking into details.

80d has 1/8000 shutter, pentaprism viewfinder, 100% coverage viewfinder, tougher / weatherseal, much better battery life, slightly higher fps. And at first glance the 80d has more dedicated buttons but not looking into details.
Mrs recently picked up an 80D, which she used on our trip to Zambia last week. Very nice camera. I prefer to use my 7DII, but could live with an 80D.

Hi. With the subjects you shoot I would definitely go smaller and be shooting on the back screen with the superb focus accuracy of the dual pixel af .The lighter bodies of the 200,800 & 77d will definitely be better when shooting on the back screen held away from your body ,also when working in towns, less noticeable than the size of the 80d .
When your shooting with your 550d don't know if you shoot jpeg or raw or both,if you shoot raw have you tried using the fine detail picture preset in canons dpp4. I shoot a sony a 6000 as rule,around 12 months ago I picked up a mint canon 40d &17-85 kit ,6k shutter count,boxed with all accessories(£225- 2years warranty) out of camera images are relatively soft and resolution is only 10mp's ,I therefore shoot raw and now edit the images exclusively in cannons dpp4 and 90% of the time use the fine detail picture preset,it really does make images appear to have been shot on a higher res sensor.i always check the backgrounds at 100% and occasionally lower the sharpening parameters to taste.It is a way for older cameras to use the latest in camera fine detail picture preset.

Question for 77D owners, how good is it in low light??. Would like to update by step-daughters camera, she does a lot of Gig photography and the High ISO capability of her 1100D is a limiting factor at the moment. Not really enough funds for FF + new glass at the moment, and I'm concerned she wouldn't get on with the weight of FF.

Hi guys, thanks for all the tips and advice.....well I bought it. :)
Have been away working, so have not used it much, but like the size and feel.

Thank you for the heads up on the dpp4, I will have to check what version mine is at the moment.
Funny you mention it, they always do look sharper/crisper when viewing, but I have not used it very much, most of the time I just use LR.

Last edited:
Question for 77D owners, how good is it in low light??. Would like to update by step-daughters camera, she does a lot of Gig photography and the High ISO capability of her 1100D is a limiting factor at the moment. Not really enough funds for FF + new glass at the moment, and I'm concerned she wouldn't get on with the weight of FF.

To be fair I don’t honestly know as I have not had the opportunity to try it yet, I have had a couple at 6400 and it seems reasonable, better than the 50d but would not confirm it was good for gig/indoor.

To be fair I don’t honestly know as I have not had the opportunity to try it yet, I have had a couple at 6400 and it seems reasonable, better than the 50d but would not confirm it was good for gig/indoor.

Thanks for replying, the issue with gig photography is often the massive dynamic range so quite a bit has to be pulled out the shadows (a 6D is really the answer, but the lenses required on the whole are costly, big and heavy)

A crop sensor with the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 and the nifty fifty seems like a good option, but maybe to get the step in performance we'll have to go 6D plus 24-70F2.8, I used to have this combo but stupidly sold it !!!!

Back