Canon 7D & Canon EF 100-400mm L

I used to but was never a fan of the 100-400 L so replaced it with a 70-300 L. Obviously not as much reach but a much better lens to use.

What was your reason behind changing it, I am not sure i will need the extra 100mm !!

A few reasons actually, one of the main ones being that I hated the push-pull zoom mechanism of the 100-400. However the 70-300 is much lighter (1050g v 1380g) and much shorter (143mm long v 189mm long) than the 100-400, which you would of course expect, however if you don't need that extra 100mm then it makes a significant difference.

I was expecting that response, the push pull is not everyones cup of tea, I just wanted to make sure it was not performance related and going by your post then its not ?

Thanks

Yes ;)

I moved over from Sony last month and really wasn't sure how I would get on with the 'comical' push / pull lens - didn't take long to get used to it.

No problems with quality / colour etc at all. Happy as a pig in . . . . .

.DAVID.

Not used the 7D but have used the 100-400 on my 40D, it's a fabulous lens and if I had the cash I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I was expecting that response, the push pull is not everyones cup of tea, I just wanted to make sure it was not performance related and going by your post then its not ?Thanks

I can't say it was performance related but anything I've read says the 70-300 L has better IQ and is sharper, although I haven't made any comparison myself. It also has improved IS, is weather sealed (100-400 only partially) and it's a new design so I would expect it to be an improvement on the 100-400 which is 12 yo. Not knocking the 100-400 in any way but for me the 70-300 is much more pleasurable to use (and carry) and gives as good as if not better results. However if you want / need the extra 100mm then the 100-400 is recommended.

Last edited:
I've shot quite a bit with the 100-400L on my 7D, and while you can get good results, the lens is incredibly heavy and I'm not a fan of the push-pull focus system.

Best combo by far if your doing wildlife on a budget, take a look in the bird section and it's a very popular pairing. Maybe i was lucky having a sharp copy of the 100-400L and knowing how to use it helps :LOL:

That's the exact combo I use 95% of the time, absolutely love it...

Where there any specific q's you had ?

I have the 100-400L and I'm considering the 7D as a backup body.
As a concert shooter, I'm sometimes forced to shoot from the soundboard and the 100-400 has been brilliant for that.

What is the 7d like at high ISO's? That is a primary consideration for me.
The 100-400 with IS on has really impressed me at f5.6. It just shouldn't work for the environment I work in, but the IS has given me some crackers right at the back of the room.

This sounds like a very workable combo for me, provided I can push the ISO to near it's limits!

I use the 7D and 100-400. very nice combination...

Loads of real world examples in my flickr..

Airshow, London Zoo, recent Bushy Park stuff...

Great combination and as for the push pull I love it and I find it much easier than turning a lens in and out (usualy go wrong way to what I want and miss a shot) So I much prefer it.

I use that combination and I love it, for me the push-pull zoom is better that the standard twist zoom on my old Sigma zoom for rugby/cricket shots.

Here are some examples:

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

7D and 100-400 raw file screen print at 100% without edits. EXIF is self evident. Seems all right to me. :)....

20110912_212041_000.jpg

Just popped one off this morning. 100% crop with edits....

20110918_071427_0429_LR.jpg

Last edited:
Back