Canon 7D MK II firmware update

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I am trying to update this from 1.05 to 1.1.12 but it just gets stuck on loading 8% and then runs the battery down - any idea how to fix it?
I have looked on line but without sucess

Canon say "It needs a new main board." and we will charge you £200.
I am not happy as it was fine until I did the firmware, I am tempted to take them to the small claims court.
Any ideas? No idea what to do, seems very unfair.

Perhaps try ringing Lehman's in Stoke and see if they can advise you. I am not a believer in coincidence although I do accept that occasionally the perfect storm thing does happen to my kit.

Perhaps try ringing Lehman's in Stoke and see if they can advise you. I am not a believer in coincidence although I do accept that occasionally the perfect storm thing does happen to my kit.
Thanks for that they quote about £200 and Canon £341.68
Another company (Thomas Camera Services Ltd ) quotes £270.
Of course Canon have the camera so their quote can't go up. So I am in a quandary.

Canon don't offer a garantee which the others do.

What bad luck..

And sadly if the firmware update has gone haywire, then it probably will need a new main board, It would really depend where the corruption is, if the file on the card has been corrupted during the download, it may be that the camera can't find the next instruction to load, so is searching for it.

If this is the case, I ponder if you use a fresh card to download the file again, that it just might pick up at the 8% mark and load! if the corruption is something that happened on the main board, there's probably no hope.

What card did you use the SD or CF? And did you use an external card reader?

As if you've used an external card reader it increases the chance of the file being corrupted when downloading, if you used the CF card this may have caused a problem, when I've updated my firmware on my 7dMk2 and my 5Ds, I've always used a SD card.

I'm afraid that the small claims court is very unlikely to uphold a claim against Canon for it's repair, as Canon do make it very clear that it can go wrong, and if it does then it can render the camera useless.

I'm afraid that the small claims court is very unlikely to uphold a claim against Canon for it's repair, as Canon do make it very clear that it can go wrong, and if it does then it can render the camera useless.
Sadly I think you are right, thank you for your sympathy.
Now I have to decide who to get to repair it. Canon who are expensive but the price is fixed or cheaper ones.

Thanks for that they quote about £200 and Canon £341.68
Another company (Thomas Camera Services Ltd ) quotes £270.
Of course Canon have the camera so their quote can't go up. So I am in a quandary.

Canon don't offer a garantee which the others do.
Have you tried haggling with Canon? Perhaps try giving them a call and saying that one of their authorised repair centres has quoted around £200, so as a gesture of goodwill and bearing in mind that the camera was fully functioning before the firmware update attempt, will they match that price and get on with the repair? Explain politely how disappointed you are that your Canon kit has let you down like that, and the outcome of this will very much dictate your choice of camera make when you next upgrade. It might be worth a try and you could save £150 or so.

If negotiations stick at 'we can't do that' then perhaps try the 'long silent pause' tactic (with a bit of gentle sighing, sniffing, etc. to let them know you've not hung up!), and make the other person speak next, I find this can sometimes make people come back with a revised counter offer! :cool: Best of luck if you give it a go. (y)

Last edited:
Have you tried haggling with Canon? Perhaps try giving them a call and saying that one of their authorised repair centres has quoted around £200, so as a gesture of goodwill and bearing in mind that the camera was fully functioning before the firmware update attempt, will they match that price and get on with the repair? Explain politely how disappointed you are that your Canon kit has let you down like that, and the outcome of this will very much dictate your choice of camera make when you next upgrade. It might be worth a try and you could save £150 or so.

If negotiations stick at 'we can't do that' then perhaps try the 'long silent pause' tactic (with a bit of gentle sighing, sniffing, etc. to let them know you've not hung up!), and make the other person speak next, I find this can sometimes make people come back with a revised counter offer! :cool: Best of luck if you give it a go. (y)
I emailed them with the details of the other quotes and am waiting a reply.
I didn't mention to them yesterday that I won't buy Canon again but afterwards I realized I am not planning on buying a new camera ever again!

Whilst some firmware updates are irreversible, some are not.....did you try reloading the version that you'd been using? It's feasible that the new firmware is using a faulty memory location that's not accessed by the older version.

Bob

As already mentioned try flashing an older firmware back using a different card with a clean format.
You could also do a full hard reset
Power Reset
1. Make sure the camera is off, and then remove the battery, memory card, and lens.
2. Close the battery/memory card doors.
3. Turn the power switch to the "ON" position, and then press and hold down the shutter button for 10 seconds.
4. Release the shutter button, turn the power switch to the "OFF" position, reinsert the battery, memory card, and attach the lens.
5. Power the camera on.
Settings Reset
1. While the camera is on turn the mode dial to "P" (Program mode), which allows all menu options to become available, then press the menu button.
2. Move across the top of the menu to the last wrench tab. (Yellow tabs)
3. Go down the menu list to "Clear Settings" and press the Set button.
4. Choose "Clear all Camera Settings", and press the set button.
5. To complete the reset highlight "OK" and press the Func./Set button again.
6. Next, move over to the Custom Functions menu list.
7. Reset the "Clear all Custom Func." settings as well.
Before attempting the update again remove the lens from the camera body.
Then format the SD card in the camera load firmware to it and then only insert the SD card and retry.

Did you fully charge the battery before starting the firmware update.

They always warn that it may go wrong if the battery is not charged up enough.

That really sucks though, I have done loads of updates and installed magic lantern and removed it many times without issues.

Canon will likely be stubborn but may be worth a try sending old fashioned letters to UK head office or something similar.

Emails seem to go straight to some numpty with a set answer to everything.

Did you fully charge the battery before starting the firmware update.

They always warn that it may go wrong if the battery is not charged up enough.

That really sucks though, I have done loads of updates and installed magic lantern and removed it many times without issues.

Canon will likely be stubborn but may be worth a try sending old fashioned letters to UK head office or something similar.

Emails seem to go straight to some numpty with a set answer to everything.
It showed as charged - although as it took 2 hours - I don't think any amount of charging will do.

Didn't you ask them if they could make it a round £200, and try the long silent pause on them?

Back