Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

An interesting thread on Fred Miranda forum re some lock-up problems experienced with the 1.0.4 firmware....anyone got any issues/comments etc...particularly with the MFA comments on the enclosed thread...will check some of mine tomorrow.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1365402

George.

....implying you had some, Neil???...
Yep
Inconsistencies, lots of OK with the odd very sharp followed by a couple of OOF for no reason.
The OK's clean up so that they are usable but the random OOF became annoying, after the update a 30 shot sequence gave 100% properly focused images.

....and I take it you were using more than just the 70-200 2.8???? I mean, it could be a smoke and mirrors job from Canon, who knows what's all in a firmware update?

I've just bought a 7d2 after finally finding out my 7D shutter count today (had a few shutter/AF problems with it)- 301832.. if the mk2 lasts as long as my mk1 I will be a very happy lady :) arriving tomorrow and taking it out on Sunday for horse trials so will let you all know how I get on...

I've just bought a 7d2 after finally finding out my 7D shutter count today (had a few shutter/AF problems with it)- 301832.. if the mk2 lasts as long as my mk1 I will be a very happy lady :) arriving tomorrow and taking it out on Sunday for horse trials so will let you all know how I get on...

....check if it's got the latest firmware ..

In the Menu settings look for " firmware version" in the "tools" menu....it's the 4th tab along...and go to the 4th option along.....and at the bottom you will see "firmware version"..if it's the latest one it will be 1.0.4.

If not, look at one of the posts on the previous page, click the link and follow the instructions..

actually to save you the trouble, here it is..

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...digital_slr/eos_7d_mark_ii.aspx?type=firmware

George.

loaded the new firmware just got back from trying it out 95% of images are crap its on its way to elsetree canon monday

Was it a recent purchase? Was it ok before you did the upgrade?

I installed the latest Firmware 1.0.4 today and have just shot about 30 images using my Canon 100-400mm L II + 1.4x III. Perhaps it's just my imagination but this combo now feels faster to autofocus than it did - The Canon 1.4x III noticeably slowed it down.

I don't expect anyone knows except Canon as to whether any additional improvements/fixes have been included other than the few which Canon have publicly listed.

GeorgeWas it a recent purchase? Was it ok before you did the upgrade? camera wasnt to bad but not now its packed up ready to go back to canon

I don't expect anyone knows except Canon as to whether any additional improvements/fixes have been included other than the few which Canon have publicly listed.

This is a common question. But nobody can ever explain why they believe Canon wouldn't shout such an improvement from the rooftops, but pretend it didn't happen. It's a placebo effect.

Just a note to anyone planning to use the Sigma 150mm macro OS with the 7D2 - it doesn't work!

Images at 1:1 are underexposed by 2 stops, and at 1:2 by 1 stop. Sigma have confirmed to me that they are working on a firmware update.

I use an OE grip with 2 Canon batteries, but I noticed that the 1st battery is showing many more actuations than the 2nd, tried switching them and it's definitely favouring the 1st slot....anyone else looked at this?

George.

I use an OE grip with 2 Canon batteries, but I noticed that the 1st battery is showing many more actuations than the 2nd, tried switching them and it's definitely favouring the 1st slot....anyone else looked at this?

George.

....I have noticed that too but assumed it was normal. I always carry a third spare battery and don't usually wait for a battery to empty before replacing it.

Seems a bit strange to me, Robin, from memory I didn't think the mk1 7D did that....perhaps others will confirm/deny???...

Seems a bit strange to me, Robin, from memory I didn't think the mk1 7D did that....perhaps others will confirm/deny???...

The mk1 did it too. I always assumed that the camera switches power source between the batteries to even out their usage.

The mk1 did it too. I always assumed that the camera switches power source between the batteries to even out their usage.

.......But that doesn't seem to be the case, although I suppose if one is exhausted then it'll use the other one.

Will try and check.

My 7D MkII uses the batteries fairly evenly. Have never seen it with, for example,100 shots taken on one and zero on the other.

Last edited:
Well, mine will show say 20 from one and 5 from the other???....

For whatever it's worth, currently my Battery Info states : (But note that both batteries were not fitted at the same time)

LP-E6 46%, Shutter count 145, Recharge performance 2 bars

LP-E6N 29%, Shutter count 56, Recharge performance 3 bars

The overall battery usage is displaying 2 bars remaining. I have 2 LP-E6N and 1 LP-E6 batteries and use them in rotation. I don't usually let a battery run down flat before replacing it. This is all typical in my case but it's not often that I start a session with both LP-E6N batteries at 100% and that would be the way to answer the question of power source equality.

I'd appreciate it if we could get a few results from 2 fully charged batteries, that would be useful.

George.

I'm actually hoping that if one starts with 2 fully charged batteries that they DON'T run down equally!

Why? - Because that would mean needing to carry 2 spare batteries to replace them when out in the field. I don't want to spend on buying myself a 4th battery.

Put two new batteries in my 7D MKI OEM grip the other day so just took a look. 59 shots on 1 and 70 on 2.

Just a thought but maybe it uses the same battery if you use burst mode and then alternates to the other when finished ?

I'm actually hoping that if one starts with 2 fully charged batteries that they DON'T run down equally!

Why? - Because that would mean needing to carry 2 spare batteries to replace them when out in the field. I don't want to spend on buying myself a 4th battery.

Put some rechargeables in the battery tray Robin like eneloops. I've got 4 batteries for the very reason that the camera runs both down and carry the tray as a back up. Never needed it but nice to have.

Surely it makes no difference in this instance ... just put the single battery in and it will have to use it.

....Yes, I know I can do that but part of the reason for having a grip is for the extra long battery power when 2 are fitted.

Put some rechargeables in the battery tray Robin like eneloops. I've got 4 batteries for the very reason that the camera runs both down and carry the tray as a back up. Never needed it but nice to have.

....Thanks for the tip but carrying an extra tray wouldn't suit me - I don't use a camera bag but manage to carry all I need in my Canon 'makes-me-look-professional' waistcoat pockets (remote shutter release cable, set of 3 tubes, 1.4x Extender, body + lens caps, polarising filter, cleaning cloth). When I have to lie on the ground, an item such as a tray can be an encumbrance - For that reason I would rather buy a fourth Canon battery inspite of its cost. But anyway, I manage fine so far with my 3 Canon batteries.

That makes no sense to me. If you had 2 fully charged batteries that ran down equally they would each run down at half the rate of a single battery. Regardless as to how many you use at the same time and how they run down you will still have the same amount of available power/battery life over all of your available batteries.

In other words, if you don't need a 4th battery now, you still won't need one if you have 2 fully charged batteries that drain at an even rate.

WTF?

If it used one battery until it was exhausted, then switched to the other, you'd still end up with two dead batteries. Assuming, that is, that you actually shoot enough to totally use up two batteries.

I currently own a EOS7D Mk1 and am seriously thinking of upgrading to the Mk2. I have a question regarding auto-focussing in continuous drive mode:
When using the camera in AI Servo focussing and continuous shooting mode, does the camera re-focus between every shot?
I have read that the Mk 1 refocuses at 3fps but not at 8fps and was wondering how the Mk2 performs in a similar situation.
Your comments would be most welcome.

Just upgraded from a 7D to 7Dii and it arrived today - thank you Digital Rev! :)

It clearly says on the box 7D Mark II (G), and there seems to be hyperlinks on the website for two different manuals - one is branded as (G). But opening up the pdfs, it seems to me that they are in fact identical. I have searched quickly on TP and also more widely on Google and had no luck. Any ideas? I have probably missed something blindingly obvious. I'm not in the least concerned, just curious.

Thanks everyone
Neil

It clearly says on the box 7D Mark II (G), and there seems to be hyperlinks on the website for two different manuals - one is branded as (G). But opening up the pdfs, it seems to me that they are in fact identical. I have searched quickly on TP and also more widely on Google and had no luck. Any ideas? I have probably missed something blindingly obvious. I'm not in the least concerned, just curious.
The G is for a body with inbuilt geo-tagging (not permitted in all markets around the world).

Bob

Thanks Bob. Thought it would be something obvious like that! Batteries just charging now. 70-200 F2.8 IS II already connected and ready to go. Have recently been tempted by the 400 F5.6 L - seems to be a great lens at an incredible price compared with the other 400+ lenses out there that are just one stop faster. I am thinking that as the sensors improve (e.g. 7Dii versus 7D) that one stop higher ISO might be tolerable, and I guess I don't have several £k to spend on a white supertele. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this lens on a 7Dii?

Cheers
Neil

Back