Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Neil, you should have bought mine, in the classifieds!!!

Another shot from the 7D Mark II from today in the woods.

f/4 - 1/160 - ISO 400 - 500mm (800mm equivalent with 1.6x crop) - handheld.

p1366594249-5.jpg

Ordered a BG-E16 battery grip from WEX on Thursday. Paid extra postage for Saturday delivery. Waited in all day and it never turned up! :(
Bit of a bugger, I bought a bag on Thursday and chose the free delivery option and it arrived yesterday (Saturday), luckily we were in as the weather was crap, but why do parcelforce do this? As Joe has mentioned, I would be claiming the postage money back.

Last edited:
Out of interest, Neil, does the pack come with a battery?...I don't think so But i could be wrong!!

Out of interest, Neil, does the pack come with a battery?...I don't think so But i could be wrong!!

No, unfortunately no battery George.

Called Parcel Force today and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. So much for WEX's Saturday delivery option! Sent message to WEX as well so will see what they say?

Thanks for the response and some more great pics Joe. I might just order a 70-300mm L from Panamoz, they're going for £755 at the moment - pretty good! ;)

Get one ordered you know you want to ;)

Well, I finally gave way to temptation. Ordered the lens from Panamoz last Friday and it's just arrived - what service!
Hopefully I'll post a few shots taken with it on my 7D Mk2, once I've got some images worth posting. :)

Called Parcel Force today and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. So much for WEX's Saturday delivery option! Sent message to WEX as well so will see what they say?

Grip arrived yesterday and also got message from WEX advising that they were refunding the £8.95 postage.

Not sure about grip though? It does add a lot of weight and bulk to my 7D2 / 100-400 Mk2 combo. Might take quite a bit of getting used to or not!

Grip arrived yesterday and also got message from WEX advising that they were refunding the £8.95 postage.

Not sure about grip though? It does add a lot of weight and bulk to my 7D2 / 100-400 Mk2 combo. Might take quite a bit of getting used to or not!

For me the grip is crucial, using it with the 500mm it balances out nicely but the best feature IMHO is having the navigation button on the grip so you can change focusing points with ease when shooting vertically which I seem to be doing more of recently!

Have finally returned mine from whence it same for repair/replacement.

Did some testing this week on AI Servo with a short lens.

Moved tracking around between near and far and could get the system to settle on an object close by that was so OOF that it could not be recognised in the viewfinder.

Hopefully when I get it back, these focus issues will be resolved.

Last edited:
Great to hear, look forward to seeing some shots with it, a cracking piece of kit to have :)

I'm still in the testing phase, but I'm very impressed with everything about this lens. The build quality is immaculate and the speed and accuracy of the auto-focus is quite magical.

The butterfly shot is nothing special, but I was just testing how close the lens would focus and this is about the limit. I've left in the out-of-focus background just to show how smooth the bokeh is.

The vulture was actually taken on my old Canon 70-300mm (non-L) lens and I still think it's pretty good.
Anyway I should find time over the next few weeks to amass a decent selection of images on the 70-300mm L, so watch this space ... :)

View attachment 44164

View attachment 44166

Last edited:
I'm still in the testing phase, but I'm very impressed with everything about this lens. The build quality is immaculate and the speed and accuracy of the auto-focus is quite magical.

The butterfly shot is nothing special, but I was just testing how close the lens would focus and this is about the limit. I've left in the out-of-focus background just to show how smooth the bokeh is.

The vulture was actually taken on my old Canon 70-300mm (non-L) lens and I still think it's pretty good.
Anyway I should find time over the next few weeks to amass a decent selection of images on the 70-300mm L, so watch this space ... :)

View attachment 44164

View attachment 44166

Glad your liking the 70-300mm, its a cracking all round lens and isn't that big aswell which is a nice plus :)

Yes, your review helped me make a more informed decision too Joe (thanks!). I've just ordered a 7DII to pair with my 5DIII. I've really been lacking a second body to pair with my 70-200II & 500II but been at a loss as to what to choose or whether to wait it out for something new. I'm still a bit worried about the low light capability of the 7DII for my usage but I've come to the conclusion it's close enough to what I need so it's worth giving it a try, especially at the price it's dropped to. While a 1DX would be lovely and better fit my needs, the price still puts it out of the question. Hopefully the 7DII surprises me though! :)

Yes, your review helped me make a more informed decision too Joe (thanks!). I've just ordered a 7DII to pair with my 5DIII. I've really been lacking a second body to pair with my 70-200II & 500II but been at a loss as to what to choose or whether to wait it out for something new. I'm still a bit worried about the low light capability of the 7DII for my usage but I've come to the conclusion it's close enough to what I need so it's worth giving it a try, especially at the price it's dropped to. While a 1DX would be lovely and better fit my needs, the price still puts it out of the question. Hopefully the 7DII surprises me though! :)

Thank you, I'm glad the review helped, I'm sure your love the camera! :)

anyone get 7dmk2 cr2 thumbnails to work in windows yet? been trying for ages, was hoping win 10 would do it :-(

Nope , I use faststone for a quick look.
Cheers - Just had a quick try, seems ok - only viewing files over a network, Ill give it a try later on local files on my laptop

I'm using Windows 7, they show up fine :)
in explorer? can I ask how? i've got all canon and windows updates on my pc and cant view the cr2 unless I go into another program, ie dpp or ps etc

in explorer? can I ask how? i've got all canon and windows updates on my pc and cant view the cr2 unless I go into another program, ie dpp or ps etc

Yes they show up in Explorer, Have you got the latest Canon Raw Codec installed?

Yeah, at the minute they show as adobe bridge icons. My 6d files show fine, my 7d mk1 show fine but not the 7dmk2 :-|

After a good few years of my camera equipment lying in bags I have got the bug again after shooting my sons football games now he has went to 11 a sides. I did ok for being so rusty but really notice the lack of reach with a 1D Mk iii and a first version 70-200mm IS. I was on the look out for a 1.6 crop camera as it would immediately give me a bit more reach and a 7D2 presented itself on Gumtree a mere 3 hours drive. Went to pick it up last night and it had only taken 200 shots so pretty much new with 11 month warranty left. Too many buttons for the owner and as I have a receipt I felt the £800 was a very good deal.

A quick look through the menus shows that there is much to learn and many useful features. The proof of the pudding is in the shooting and I got two very quick ten minute opportunities to try it out today. Looks like the focussing will take a bit of getting used to but even in this short space of time my hit rate was as good as my 1D3. Looking forward to fine tuning the camera and more importantly my rusty technique. Here are a few shot today.

C7D20150_zpschfh8btc.jpg

C7D20110_zpsqrbk1sz8.jpg

C7D20084_zpsaorq4khq.jpg

Is anybody using the mark II with a Sigma 500mm f4.5? I'm particularly interested in how well it works with a 1.4x tele now that we have a crop body with f8 AF?

A few from my son's football game today. This is the reason I bought the 7D2 and today it has got me a few more keepers than the 1D3 managed in last weeks game from a similar amount of shots. Delighted, but I could get seriously into photography again and it is a costly business. Eyeing up a 300mm F2.8!

All shots taken on Mk1 70-200mm F2.8
C7D20835_zpsdlarkmk9.jpg

C7D20812_zps3azhsj10.jpg

C7D20626_zpsygaozrvh.jpg

C7D20487_zpswt5lxqgh.jpg

Got a nice sequence of this goal with about 6 shots in focus.

C7D20852_zpsb2km0o5t.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend an after-market grip, or is it better to bite the bullet financially, and go for the BG-E16? The reason for asking is i am not sure what the quality/materials are like with the non-canon type of grips, in all my Canons, i have always bought the original grips. I also intend to purchase an Arca/Swiss L plate soon, and wonder at the compatibility, and especially the stability for tripod use with one of the after-market grips.

Can anyone recommend an after-market grip, or is it better to bite the bullet financially, and go for the BG-E16? The reason for asking is i am not sure what the quality/materials are like with the non-canon type of grips, in all my Canons, i have always bought the original grips. I also intend to purchase an Arca/Swiss L plate soon, and wonder at the compatibility, and especially the stability for tripod use with one of the after-market grips.
Friend of mine uses meike i think thats what its called!? grip on 7D2 and 5D3 they looked pretty good to me! I have a canon grip on my 5D3, quality not the same, but as he said, " if they break after a year, i'll buy another one!"
Think he paid £30-40 which is a1/5 of the new canon price.
Steve

I use a Meike, but only for balance with a long lens, doesn't hurt to have extra juice either.

I use a Meike, but only for balance with a long lens, doesn't hurt to have extra juice either.
Would that be the newer MK-7DRII, the one with the built in wifi? could you tell me how sturdy is the construction, especially the baseplate/tripod socket please.

Would that be the newer MK-7DRII, the one with the built in wifi? could you tell me how sturdy is the construction, especially the baseplate/tripod socket please.

Yes it is. Pretty well made. Has metal reinforcing to the base of grip. Obviously to make the tripod socket more secure.
Very happy with mine.

Back