Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

I have to say Glen that I love the stuff you're getting with it. Any chance of knowing what picture style settings or PP you're doing as the colours looking brilliant?

Just levels in Lightroom with a slight boost of saturation and colour and a final tweek on clarity bud.

Interesting couple of days spent with the 7D Mark II trekking about in the darkest parts of the forest, in some very testing low light conditions. Overall the camera has performed some superb results with lock on focus under dark canopy's on birds that wouldn't stay still for more than 3 seconds! Heres a couple of shots, more of the Redstart & Pied Flycatchers from the shoot can be viewed here : http://www.joeturnerphotography.co.uk/p498831910

(Didn't want to upload larger images as I don't want to fill up the thread with birds :D )
p1251343635-3.jpg

p1251384024-3.jpg

After 3 motorbike meetings, I am finding (by trial and error) that my results are improving with the MK2. Also feel the firmware update has helped but hard to quantify really.

Was still a little unsure if there may be a problem (basically because I am getting more OOF than with previous 1DmkIV) but, after a visit to a Canon roadshow this week and talking to a few guys, they felt the body was operating correctly, so just a case of keep persevering for improvement. That or a 1DX if I should get 6 numbers up !!

Nice sharp images, how you finding the 100-400mm with 1.4x in terms of AF speed etc. overall?

There's a noticeable hit in speed but it still is pretty fast. I haven't done any measurements but it feels as quick to focus as my 120-300 Sport without a TC. Accuracy doesn't seem to be affected much but being limited to the centre point can be annoying at times.

The IQ is very good as well. There is a difference, especially at the long end, but it's minimal.

....... but being limited to the centre point can be annoying at times.
Just out of interest.....
If you're using an f/4-5.6 zoom with a 1.4x extender, does the AF point restriction kick in as you zoom or is it set from the off. For the former, I can envisage a situation where the AF tracking has wandered out to a peripheral AF point and then that point becomes invalid as you zoom in.

Bob

Just out of interest.....
If you're using an f/4-5.6 zoom with a 1.4x extender, does the AF point restriction kick in as you zoom or is it set from the off. For the former, I can envisage a situation where the AF tracking has wandered out to a peripheral AF point and then that point becomes invalid as you zoom in.

Bob

Just checked it, Bob, and as soon as you put the extender on it goes to the spot/centre/centre plus 4 surround options....even although it's only at 5.6 initially.....probably in the info being sent to the body from the lens....although the old contact taping trick would doubtless annul that!!

George

Just checked it, Bob, and as soon as you put the extender on it goes to the spot/centre/centre plus 4 surround options....even although it's only at 5.6 initially.....probably in the info being sent to the body from the lens....although the old contact taping trick would doubtless annul that!!

George
I guess that's the sensible approach, George...thanks for trying it (I only have a few constant aperture zooms so couldn't test it myself).

Bob

You and me both and Canon say nothing is wrong with the camera.

Nice sharp images, how you finding the 100-400mm with 1.4x in terms of AF speed etc. overall?

....I have given up using my 1.4x III on my 100-400mm L II on 7D2 for birds in flight because I find the AF much slower and more inclined to hunt than without the 1.4x, and also I don't like only having the single point AF.

For close-ups of insects the IQ with 1.4x III mounted is very good and even when tubes are added.

However, like others here, I do find that the IQ surprisingly doesn't suffer like I thought it would do with the 1.4x III mounted - Except of course on extreme distant subjects in poor light and needing substantial enlargement.

Damn, Just ordered a 1.4x III for my 100-400 mk2 and 7d mk2 combo....

....Definitely very worthwhile having - You just need to discover its strengths and weaknesses according to your own individual style of photography.

Physically it balances well but even better with a battery grip on the 7D2 - Also easier to hold with the ergonomic big grip shapes. I now only use a strap (BlackRapid) for changing mounts or when needing to be handsfree.

Well hopefully it's arriving this week so will get a chance to go out and try it this weekend.

I have just returned for a few days back to the UK so for everyone that is interested and that has been messaging me I will hopefully get the 7D Mark II Review up by the 15th July at the latest which will be including the custom case modes I use to get small waders in flight like this stilt. I will post a link on this thread when it is done, in the meantime here is one of the first shots I have got around to processing with it, a Black-Winged Stilt gliding with the wind though the sky. These birds were moving at a very fast rate but the 7D managed to lock focus time and time again. EXIF is intact on flickr for anyone who is interested to take a look.

Black-Winged Stilt (Himantopus Himantopus) by Joe Turner, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks like you have a good one there Joe, if I had shot that with mine it would have locked on and look fine in the VF but be soft.

Looks like you have a good one there Joe, if I had shot that with mine it would have locked on and look fine in the VF but be soft.

Cheers Iain, I'm really finding the 7D to be superb for tracking birds in flight. Funny enough I'm just writing about the Case modes for in flight birds for the review as we speak!

This is another shot of these amazing looks birds I will be using for the example of the custom case modes I have set for fast in flight birds.

p1317296485-4.jpg

Cheers Iain, I'm really finding the 7D to be superb for tracking birds in flight. Funny enough I'm just writing about the Case modes for in flight birds for the review as we speak!

This is another shot of these amazing looks birds I will be using for the example of the custom case modes I have set for fast in flight birds.
When you mention "tracking", Joe, are you referring to either of the two shots that you've posted here? They look (to me) like the bird is flying pretty much tangential to your position and I assume that you've panned the shot keeping the bird's head positioned in the centre of the frame .....is there any tracking involved in this type of shot?

Bob

Hi
When you mention "tracking", Joe, are you referring to either of the two shots that you've posted here? They look (to me) like the bird is flying pretty much tangential to your position and I assume that you've panned the shot keeping the bird's head positioned in the centre of the frame .....is there any tracking involved in this type of shot?

Bob

Hi Bob,

I used one of the middle right focusing points to lock onto the birds eye/head allowing room to the left to help the framing, these subjects proved fairly hard to frame when they were close due to the long legs on these subjects. When tracking them as they flew up the shoreline or as they came out the sky like you can see on these images, and then tracking them until they became directly in front of my position shooting with my shadow directly in front of me facing them allowing the evening light to catch the eye perfectly with the direct angle to the subject to be able to catch the light perfectly on the subject.

Hope this helps for now.

Joe

Hi

Hi Bob,

I used one of the middle right focusing points to lock onto the birds eye/head allowing room to the left to help the framing, these subjects proved fairly hard to frame when they were close due to the long legs on these subjects. When tracking them as they flew up the shoreline or as they came out the sky like you can see on these images, and then tracking them until they became directly in front of my position shooting with my shadow directly in front of me facing them allowing the evening light to catch the eye perfectly with the direct angle to the subject to be able to catch the light perfectly on the subject.

Hope this helps for now.

Joe
Thanks Joe....I interpreted your first post as implying that you were using one of "the cases" to track using automatic AF point selection.

Bob

Well ive jumped in feet first picking my 7Dmkii Thursday Going from 500d so i know its a massive step and if im honest a little nervous, however cant wait to get it tho..

Well ive jumped in feet first picking my 7Dmkii Thursday Going from 500d so i know its a massive step and if im honest a little nervous, however cant wait to get it tho..

....Coming from another Canon EOS you will already be at 'base camp'. The main learning curve is due to the customisation and many options which the 7D2 offers, but if you picked up a 500D after a couple of months you would probably feel lost!

......more info about all this will be coming soon on my review.

Cheers

Joe

....I'm looking forward to reading that, Joe, and hopefully you'll post a link to it in this thread (I don't want to miss it!).

That first flight shot #1702 is particularly superb.

Thanks Robin, I'm hoping to get it finished and posted up later today :) Thanks again for your interest!

Joe

....Much as i enjoy most of your pictures, Joe, my interest in your review is primarily selfish! :D - I hope to learn and potentially improve my own photography through it.

....Much as i enjoy most of your pictures, Joe, my interest in your review is primarily selfish! :D - I hope to learn and potentially improve my own photography through it.

Oh! You too..

Back