Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Just had a quick read on the last few posts, I am currently deciding what to do with my camera. Currently use a 70d which has had focus issues despite being supposedly fixed by canon and I have had 2 like this.

Thinking of a 7d2 and wondering if I should choose this route or not. I don't want my run of misfortune to continue lol

By all accounts the 7D2 has exactly the same problems with AF as does the 70D. PEBV

Well just got my nice new 7D MKII only to find that while it will work with my MKI 3rd party batteries the new charger won't . Had to order a 3rd party charger from Amazon :(

Thanks Canon :mad:

Well just got my nice new 7D MKII only to find that while it will work with my MKI 3rd party batteries the new charger won't . Had to order a 3rd party charger from Amazon :(

Thanks Canon :mad:

I thought the charger was exactly the same? Mine is the LC-E6E.

Red robin, was that superb shot of the little Egret taken using the Kenko extender or the Canon with the EF400 / 5.6 lens?

Hello, I've had my 7dmkii a couple of months and still can't get to grips with it, i just can't seem to get pin sharp images any advise very much welcomed, i am only just getting back into photography due us having a baby.. Cheers Chris
My setting (iso 1250 F 7.1 1/80sec @ 300mm)

Attachments

• robin red 2.jpg
    robin red 2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
One of the first images out of the camera 70-200 f2.8 IS mk1 (IS off)

Junior Moto X Michael Quayle.jpg

Former world enduro champ David Knight
David Knight Michael Quayle.jpg

Oh dear this puts me in a quandary I was thinking of going down the route of a mkii ,but after reading some previous comments I think it might be better to wait for a 1D4 to come along ,had a 70D previously with focus issues now gladly departed ,so don't want to get caught up in that again .my son will be back from holiday tomorrow and he has a new mkii I can try before I buy .
Or do I just stick to my trusty old 1D mkiii that still turns out the goodies .

Oh dear this puts me in a quandary I was thinking of going down the route of a mkii ,but after reading some previous comments I think it might be better to wait for a 1D4 to come along ,had a 70D previously with focus issues now gladly departed ,so don't want to get caught up in that again .my son will be back from holiday tomorrow and he has a new mkii I can try before I buy .

I'm in the same boat! The 1.6X crop factor is very beguiling, but negative anecdotal comments put me off somewhat.

I wish i can find someone locally to try/test 7D mkii first, because i feel i want to let my 1D mkiii go and welcoming 7D mkII, not thinking about second hand or used so i ignored 1D4, and can't afford 1DX again now.

I would like to see more sports and birds shots from this camera here, i don't need portraits with this camera as there are better cameras FF i prefer than this camera, but this camera is a nice body for sports and action or wildlife/birding i think and this is what i want to see more.

There can be negative comments found about every camera out there, and usually they are a minority. There are also plenty of people who are more than happy with their 7DII and have no issues.

I wish i can find someone locally to try/test 7D mkii first, because i feel i want to let my 1D mkiii go and welcoming 7D mkII, not thinking about second hand or used so i ignored 1D4, and can't afford 1DX again now.

I would like to see more sports and birds shots from this camera here, i don't need portraits with this camera as there are better cameras FF i prefer than this camera, but this camera is a nice body for sports and action or wildlife/birding i think and this is what i want to see more.

There are always a variety of opinions, whichever camera/lens is being discussed, for me, the 7D2 is a first class wildlife/sport body, the autofocus is exceptional, the ability to track moving subjects is very good, even in low light (one of 7D's weaknesses IMO), noise while not as good as 5D3 or 1DX, I am quite happy shooting at ISO1600, pushing it further if I can nail the exposure.
I did spend a lot of time tweaking/adjusting the settings to ensure it coped with fast moving subjects, and I'm finding I'm now deleting images that would have been keepers on previous bodies (7d/1D3). I only ever use fast primes with the 7D2 (300/2.8 & 200/2.8) which helps a lot.

Here are a few BIF shots you asked for.

7D2_0924m.jpg

7D2_9722s.jpg

7D2_5458s.jpg

7D2_7623s.jpg

There can be negative comments found about every camera out there, and usually they are a minority. There are also plenty of people who are more than happy with their 7DII and have no issues.

They weren't a minority when it first came out though. Poor quality control of whatever the reason there were unhappy people about.

I quite liked it but not enough to keep it. Image quality pretty decent in the right circumstances. Mediocre in the wrong ones.

Got some really nice images with it but delete rate was high on occasions.

Last edited:
They weren't a minority when it first came out though. Poor quality control of whatever the reason there were unhappy people about.

To be fair I worded that wrong. Unhappy comments weren't in a minority but I bet the number of unhappy people was. People are most vocal when something's wrong so internet forums will always show an inflated number of faults (also a lot of people tend to count posts rather than users). It's hard to know the full extent of any problems unless you can get hold of the sales to return/repair ratio.

Ok, well, in my case, the only camera i can compare this to is my Canon 1D Mark III, i have 1DX and i am very happy with it and it is my main camera, but i wanted to see if 1D MarkIII i good as a backup or 7D MarkII, i may sometimes use 7D2 if i get it as a main body when i need further crop-ability, but still i didn't get final verdict about 7D markII vs. 1D MarkIII, many compare it with 1D4 or 5D3 or even 1DX, and few just told me that 7D2 is way much better and surpass that 1D3 in all areas or aspects [maybe not weather sealing].

I think for me i got too used to FF image quality and my expectations were too high for the MkII. Also my photography is limited due to my work so my 1DX became the go to option when I did get out. I did run a few thousand images through the MkII and would have liked to try it on more motorsport than i did where I thought it acquitted itself pretty well.

I really wanted it to be good. I waited and waited for it to be released before giving in and buying a 1DX. for me a 5D3 and 1DX seem to be the best combo for my needs. Initially there wasnt much good stuff being shown from the camera but that has changed now. I know a few guys with the MkII and all have said they have had to put more effort into the camera to get results they were happy with. Maybe its a case of persevering and trying plenty of settings for different subjects. Perhaps i gave up too soon but its history now. Will buy a replacement in the new year.

Surely you answered your own question with your last two sentences ? ;)

Putting this into full perspective ,I have previously tried a friends 7d2 but I don't think it was set up properly and I wasn't impressed ,my lad also has had one previously and it had a/f problems but I never used that one .
I have also borrowed a friends 1d4 for a weekend and would love one but the price is staying well to high for a good one this thread gives clues to why . And being on a fixed pension any changes have to be balanced around what's affordable and gels with my lens ,or perhaps I should change that as well hmmmmmmmmm

Well, I just took a plunge with the 7Dii, thanks in some regard to the positive reports from @Joeturner11 .

Three main reasons for this as follows:

1. My (original) 7D has been utterly dormant ever since I picked up my first 5Diii.
2. The physical aspects (button location/function) of the 7Dii are virtually identical to my 5Diii's.
3. F8 Autofocus on a 1.6 crop gives me an effective 1600mm lens on a 500 with 2x.

Only taken a couple of test shots today, but first impressions are that this isn't a 7D revamp, it's a totally new machine with autofocus and ISO performance in a different league to the predecessor. We've got clear skies and a bright moon, so I might just go and set up some tests with a mix of big lenses, extenders and bodies. Could be the second long night in as many days.......

A rather quick, non-scientific test here. I put the 500F4LII on a tripod, added the 2xiii and took shots with the 5Diii and the new 7Dii.

I've cropped the images to be as near to identical as I could without spending too much time on it. The images have had exactly the same level of (slight) processing. Needless to say, the 5Diii images have been cropped to a greater extent than those of the 7Dii in order to acheive the same effective shot.

Left side is the 5Diii / Right is 7Dii

12049270_1054728374546904_3894475044721123603_n.jpg
12046639_1054728394546902_3803078686884113393_n.jpg

(This area of the moon is known as the 'Sea of Crisis'...!)

To me, the difference is clear, and you can see several small craters in the second image which are not visible at all on the first image.

Not drawing any difinitive conclusions from this and will have to wait until daytime to test the new camera on some 'birdies'. However, based purely on this quick test, I have to say that my desire to have an effective 1600mm tool (!!!) :naughty: would appear to have been met. :)

Doubt if it will help me take better pictures though......:oops: :$

Here's what you see in the viewfinder of the 7Dii. Totally uncropped and straight out of the camera:

12030289_1054740714545670_1813935060863634243_o.jpg

And that is why i would like to get 7Dii to be used over my 1Diii, the cropability and more mp will help when using same lens on both, and 7Dii has newer technology, all these should have some kind of improvements, and i don't know as no one did answer this yet, but which camera will give closer quality to 1DX, 1Diii or 7DmkII using same lens on both and same settings without going for extreme settings [such as ISO 1600, f2.8/3.2, 1/600-1/1000,..etc]

One of my first daytime shots with the 7Dii yesterday. It's all looking very promising! This is a 3000x2000 crop from a full size jpeg. Shot hand-held at a distance of about 40ft with an effective 1600mm lens (500+2x on a 1.6).

1000mm 1/1500s F8 ISO800

12030287_1055131674506574_662353109663870860_o.jpg

One of my first daytime shots with the 7Dii yesterday. It's all looking very promising! This is a 3000x2000 crop from a full size jpeg. Shot hand-held at a distance of about 40ft with an effective 1600mm lens (500+2x on a 1.6).

1000mm 1/1500s F8 ISO800

12030287_1055131674506574_662353109663870860_o.jpg

Only looking on phone at the moment but that's looks like a great shot! Seems you
are getting use to the 7DII already, it really is a great quality camera specially when you consider the price of it!

Seems you are getting use to the 7DII already
There's nothing to 'get used to' with this as I've been shooting with a couple of 5Diii's for a good while. They are virtually identical in the hand and I have to look at the front of the camera to kmnow which one it is I'm using! ;)

There's nothing to 'get used to' with this as I've been shooting with a couple of 5Diii's for a good while. They are virtually identical in the hand and I have to look at the front of the camera to kmnow which one it is I'm using! ;)

Well nuf said!!! :snaphappy:

A rather quick, non-scientific test here. I put the 500F4LII on a tripod, added the 2xiii and took shots with the 5Diii and the new 7Dii.

I've cropped the images to be as near to identical as I could without spending too much time on it. The images have had exactly the same level of (slight) processing. Needless to say, the 5Diii images have been cropped to a greater extent than those of the 7Dii in order to acheive the same effective shot.

Left side is the 5Diii / Right is 7Dii

12049270_1054728374546904_3894475044721123603_n.jpg
12046639_1054728394546902_3803078686884113393_n.jpg

(This area of the moon is known as the 'Sea of Crisis'...!)

To me, the difference is clear, and you can see several small craters in the second image which are not visible at all on the first image.

Not drawing any difinitive conclusions from this and will have to wait until daytime to test the new camera on some 'birdies'. However, based purely on this quick test, I have to say that my desire to have an effective 1600mm tool (!!!) :naughty: would appear to have been met. :)

Doubt if it will help me take better pictures though......:oops: :$
If you scale the 7D2 image down to match the 5D3, how do they compare then.

If you scale the 7D2 image down to match the 5D3, how do they compare then.
Had to think about that for a moment......(counter intuitive for a bird photographer):thinking:

In the original 5Diii shot, to get the moon to fill my screen I needed to crop it to 1600x1600 whereas the 7Dii shot was cropped to 2400x2400 for the same result. I've just resampled the 7Dii shot to 1600x1600 and I have to say, the 5Diii image is now a better picture in many ways! Despite the fact that the 7Dii image still has the extra craters in the Sea of Crisis, there is more definition across the majority of the moon on the 5Diii image now.

Not sure what this proves in the real world of practicality though.:confused:

Had to think about that for a moment......(counter intuitive for a bird photographer):thinking:

In the original 5Diii shot, to get the moon to fill my screen I needed to crop it to 1600x1600 whereas the 7Dii shot was cropped to 2400x2400 for the same result. I've just resampled the 7Dii shot to 1600x1600 and I have to say, the 5Diii image is now a better picture in many ways! Despite the fact that the 7Dii image still has the extra craters in the Sea of Crisis, there is more definition across the majority of the moon on the 5Diii image now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Because of the 1.6 crop factor of the 7D2, your comparison would have meant you enlarged the 5D3 image to match the 7D2, hence why the quality doesn't look as good. Which is a great argument for using the 7D2 for maximum reach. However, by scaling the 7D2 image down it shows that FF may actually show better quality.

Just what I was thinking, you buy the 7D II for the extra reach etc. in this case there is no point in scaling down the image to match the 5D III when the 7D II is clearly better with your moon shots because of the reach the crop factor :D

Pretty pointless test if you ask me, that's like down sampling crops from a 50mp 5Ds shot to match the 5D III (22mp), what's the point in that when your comparing them for detail because they are two completely different beasts?:thinking:

However, by scaling the 7D2 image down it shows that FF may actually show better quality.

There is no point in that though if your buying the 7D II for the reach is there surely?

Last edited:
As a 5Diii owner, I can see where Mark was going. None of us want to think that a camera that's half the price can produce a better image, and the basic truth is that it doesn't. However, for my own specific purposes, the 7Dii is probably the most ideal tool to have in the armoury when extra reach is needed. The APS-C sensor will alway be a compromise when the FF gathers twice as much light. A few years ago, I had a 5Dii and then bought a 7D to go with it. I wasn't totally happy with either of them. When the 5Diii came along, I was so ecstatic about it that I bought a second one to avoid swapping lenses about. I doubt if I will feel the same way about the 7Dii, but I can see it being the first camera I use in any (birding) situation where light/ISO isn't an issue.

To give an analogy, I think the 7Dii is like the new 200-400 with the built-in 1.4x extender. It's never going to be as good as a prime 400 2.8L, but it will have its uses for many people.

I'll keep the 7Dii fixed to the 500F4 with the 2x and I'll have the 5Diii on the 400F2.8. I'll always know which one will produce the better results, but I won't always be close enough to get them.

Back