Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

I got the mk 2 last month as I really like the mk 1 for weddings. The only problem is that I have Photoshop CS5.1 and the camera raw version won't handle the mk 2 raw files as they are too modern for it, I havr to shoot jpeg and open those in raw. I can't seem to just download the install the latest Adobe Camera Raw software, will I have to upgrade to Photoshop and Lightroom CC?

I went that way last month CC, liking it

Last edited:
I got the mk 2 last month as I really like the mk 1 for weddings. The only problem is that I have Photoshop CS5.1 and the camera raw version won't handle the mk 2 raw files as they are too modern for it, I havr to shoot jpeg and open those in raw. I can't seem to just download the install the latest Adobe Camera Raw software, will I have to upgrade to Photoshop and Lightroom CC?

Yep you will have to upgrade unless you download a Adobe or similar RAW to DNG converter and then import them into Photoshop, which is a pain if you have lots of shots.

Hi, just want an honest answer from 7d Mk2 owners. I use a 7d1 for Motorsport & want to upgrade. I have mixed opinions on the mk2, some people love them, others have sold them not long after buying !

It's either a new 7d2 or a used 1d mk4 so I would like 7d2 users feedback please ?

Col

Well I used mine for rallying and thought it was pretty good. If I shot a lot of motorsport then probably I would have kept it.

You can also open them with Elements 13

Elements 14 is just launching so you should be able to find a "cheap" copy of V13

Lightroom 5 will also work- and is cheaper now that 6 is kicking around.

a couple from today - case 4: -1, 0, -1

_O0A7061-2.jpg _O0A6904.jpg

Last edited:
It's a different camera its made with a budget in mind and within that budget it does the job
Quite well I may add.
But you get what you pay for if you aren't ;) happy with your 1Dx I will quite happily buy you another Brand new 7D mkii and give you in exchange for it :)
If people are going to compare things you do it against what they are competing against in their price bracket.

You can't compare things based solely on price. Price comes down to many things including supply, demand and marketing, just because something costs 3 times as much doesn't mean it's 3 times better. Break it down into cost of parts and do you think the 1DX costs 3 times as much to make? If so where do you think the extra cost goes?

Price and high ISO performance aside then: The 7DII currently has the most advanced AF of any Canon (many more cross types especially with f5.6 lenses, covers wider area, -3EV), the same AI Servo III found in the 1DX, the most advanced metering sensor (shared in the newer 5Ds and 5Dr), more processing power than any Canon camera including the 1DX, similar buffer size to 1DX, slightly less FPS than 1DX but that the amount depends on shutter speed. That's not even touching on the handling and customisation options. These are some of the reasons why people keep comparing it to more expensive cameras (moreso the 1D as they are both designed with fast action in mind).

You also have to remember that the 7DII is a newer generation camera than any of the others so you should expect improvements. The real question is how will it stack up to the 5DIV and new 1D?

Shot from a couple of days ago in the heavy rain.

Canon 7D Mark II - 500mm f/4L - 1.4x III Extender - Gitzo GT2542S - Wimberley Head MKII
(1120mm total with crop factor)
f/8 - 1/320 - ISO 500
Just over 50% crop.

p1521747029-5.jpg

Joe, that is quite simply an awesome shot.

Hi, just want an honest answer from 7d Mk2 owners. I use a 7d1 for Motorsport & want to upgrade. I have mixed opinions on the mk2, some people love them, others have sold them not long after buying !

It's either a new 7d2 or a used 1d mk4 so I would like 7d2 users feedback please ?

Col

I've been using my 7DII for nearly a year now (picked it up the day after release), I mostly shoot motorsport, and I love it. My normal trackside setup is a 1DX with a 70-200 and a 7DII with a 100-400 and typically my split from a day is 50-50 over the 2 cameras.

I've been using my 7DII for nearly a year now (picked it up the day after release), I mostly shoot motorsport, and I love it. My normal trackside setup is a 1DX with a 70-200 and a 7DII with a 100-400 and typically my split from a day is 50-50 over the 2 cameras.

Have you had any focus/soft photo issues with the 7d Mk2 ? That's what i am hearing !

Col

Have you had any focus/soft photo issues with the 7d Mk2 ? That's what i am hearing !

Col

I've had no problems with mine. It took a little while to get used to it and tweak the settings but it's been fantastic. I tend to use it more for corner shots due to the extra 'reach' of the crop. I'll start tracking going into the corner if I can, going around the corner and then into a panning shot on the exit. That's a fair amount of distance, speed and direction change and my 7DII doesn't break a sweat. I also do a lot of Autotests/AutoSolos which are lower speed but have a lot more acceleration/deceleration and sudden direction changes than anything on a circuit, and again the 7DII keeps up brilliantly.

can I ask, as a prospective buyer of a 7DmkII

What would I notice different with a 7dMKII over buying a 70D or a 760D with my pictures?

because at £859 it's a favourable option to go for
http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-7d-mk-ii-body-2679-p.asp

Tnx :)

Handling, FPS & specially autofocus are some that come straight to my head that are major advantages over the other cameras you listed, and it is even more favourable on Panamoz only being £800 now! :exit:

Shot from this mornings golden hour with very strong light shooting 2 full stops under in my local woodlands, headed out to monitor the local Owls but came across this Fallow Deer buck walking there having a scratch up the tree, who allowed me to get really close putting my lens between the trees.

7D Mark II - Canon 200mm f/2.8L
(320mm total with crop factor)
f/3.5 - 1/2000 - ISO 100 - -2EV
5% crop.

p1543785399-5.jpg

Last edited:
Shot from this mornings golden hour with very strong light shooting 2 stops under in my local woodlands, headed out to monitor the local Owls but came across this Fallow Deer buck walking there having a scratch up the tree, who allowed me to get really close putting my lens between the trees.

7D Mark II - Canon 200mm f/2.8L
(320mm total with crop factor)
f/3.5 - 1/2000 - ISO 100 - -2EV
5% crop.

When you say two stops under.. you mean two FULL stops under exposed or two clicks?

Handling, FPS & specially autofocus are some that come straight to my head that are major advantages over the other cameras you listed, and it is even more favourable on Panamoz only being £800 now! :exit:

I've been warned about Panamoz though that they're not too reliable, so have been put off using them. Whereas HDEW are a UK company and delivery is within a few days of ordering, they give warranty too.

2 FULL stops yes, shot in camera like that as the whites from the Fallow deer in the morning are very very strong.

It's a stunning shot, where I live (Nottingham) we have Wollaton Park (virtually on my doorstep). Wollaton Hall was used as Wayne Masion in BatMan the other year. It has wild deer wandering around and at the right time you can get some awesome shots. Trouble is too many of the 'public' wander quite close to the deer, they're wild and can be dangerous.

It's a stunning shot, where I live (Nottingham) we have Wollaton Park (virtually on my doorstep). Wollaton Hall was used as Wayne Masion in BatMan the other year. It has wild deer wandering around and at the right time you can get some awesome shots. Trouble is too many of the 'public' wander quite close to the deer, they're wild and can be dangerous.

Thank you, I know what you mean about the public wandering around, I don't normally tend to go out specially to photograph them I just photography the local 10/15 that live less than a mile away from me on some private woodlands I monitor, regarding to Panamoz they have got very good reviews on here and elsewhere online but still £859 at HDEW is very low for a camera of such specs.

I don't know how they do it so cheap.. Unless it's a 100d internal with a 7DmkII body lol

Quite enjoying my 7dmk2, the shutter is lovely and quiet and so responsive, it feels faster than the 70d I had. Iq, af and handling are better than the 70d for me and the large viewfnder is really nice.

Raw files seem to edit quite well, (i'm no expert editor though)

This was taken in very harsh light, not the nest of pics but a good test for it.

Tornado @ SVR #1 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

^^
I take it you are using the same lens' you had with your 70D.

and you can now notice better quality shots... even though your len's are good on the 70D?

^^
I take it you are using the same lens' you had with your 70D.

and you can now notice better quality shots... even though your len's are good on the 70D?

There is a noticeable difference, my 7od had unpredictable issues with any lens that went on it, when it worked it did a good job, same lenses used. the 7d seems a lot more "refined" than the 70d, raw images sharpen cleaner than my 70d did.

Bought from Panamoz as many others have and can't fault their service.Seven days for delivery and kept well informed.Sent back a 7D mkII with focus issues and a new one sent out within a week.

Bought from Panamoz as many others have and can't fault their service.Seven days for delivery and kept well informed.Sent back a 7D mkII with focus issues and a new one sent out within a week.

Exactly as Donetello posted for me as well... Returned due to focus problems and no issues at all with them. Big thumbs up.

is there a lot of focus issue with the 7dmk2?

thats three of you replying on these last few posts.

Panamoz is £800!
where do you have to send the camera back to?

Panamoz is £800!

Seemed to be a few issues with the body early on.They sent a courier to collect from me and it went back to Hong Kong.Replacement came within 7 days,
I was also offered the option of sending to Canon UK and paying for a repair and then they would reimburse me the costs.

Seemed to be a few issues with the body early on.They sent a courier to collect from me land it went back to Hong Kong.Replacement came within 7 days,
I was also offered the option of sending to Canon UK and paying for a repair and then they would reimburse me the costs.

Last edited:

Panamoz is £800!

There seemed to have been, my replacement is fine no issues at all. As for Panamoz, they arranged collection & refund all within a few days. Simple as.

Back