Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

The 7D MKII continues to amaze me, these were taken with the 100-400 MKII and 1.4x III. Once cropped and processed to .JPEG they were less than 1mb per picture so I upscaled them using Gigapixel. I have never bothered with teleconverters before but will carry it a lot more now.

Whitethroat
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Greenfinch

Shelduck

What is the opinion of 7Dii owners regarding the R7 ! ?

I was waiting for the 7Diii to be released as I purchased my 7D not long after release date. and when is was dropped I purchased a used 7Dii !
I believe the R7 is a revamped 90D in a mirrorless body, so a 32mb sensor I believe will be high in noise even though software is pretty good now for controlling it.
If the sensor was stacked or back illuminated then I would order it now !
The animal, object and Human Eye Detect is the voice in my head telling me to buy the R7, though I am unsure if I should stick with my 7Dii and Sony A6600 as it has eye detect. is not as good as R5, R6, R3 or the new R7 ! !

What is the opinion of 7Dii owners regarding the R7 ! ?

Been waiting for a 7D MKII replacement forever, in the meantime I tried the Sony A9 and 200-600mm. Loved that combo and although no bird eye af once it locked on you just couldn't fault it. Had it been 45mp I would have kept it but 24mp just doesn't give enough cropability for wildlife.

As for the R7, it's definately not a 7D II replacement but I think it's the best we are going to get ... I would have happily paid up to 2k (or even a little more) for twin CFexpress slots, bigger buffer, better build, grip connections and a stacked/BSi sensor but Canon think this body will sell and so do I .... in bucket loads.

Had the R5 for a while then sold it as it was basically being used as a crop wildlife camera which cost a lot of money, AF is superb though and R7 is supposedly better.

My R7 is on preorder .....

Last edited:
Been waiting for a 7D MKII replacement forever, in the meantime I tried the Sony A9 and 200-600mm. Loved that combo and although no bird eye af once it locked on you just couldn't fault it. Had it been 45mp I would have kept it but 24mp just doesn't give enough cropability for wildlife.

As for the R7, it's definately not a 7D II replacement but I think it's the best we are going to get ... I would have happily paid up to 2k (or even a little more) for twin CFexpress slots, bigger buffer, better build, grip connections and a stacked/BSi sensor but Canon think this body will sell and so do I .... in bucket loads.

Had the R5 for a while then sold it as it was basically being used as a crop wildlife camera which cost a lot of money, AF is superb though and R7 is supposedly better.

My R7 is on preorder .....

This is my problem,... the R7 is no 7Dii replacement and I love the robustness of my 7Dii. Not because I am careless, just because it is my main camera so it goes everywhere, airshows, wildlife, motor racing, holidays ( in carry on luggage ), portraits, macro, etc, etc
Therefore it goes in a variety of bags, pockets, cases etc !
I think £1,349 for R7 and free adapter is very appealing to a lot of different people and the eye / object AF detect is my biggest reason for buying this camera. I already have canon L glass ( even though I adapt the L glasss to on Sony A6600 because of eye detect AF ) as this changes everything with AF taken care off. There is no point having a high MP, great dynamic range, twin card slots, hi Res EVF if the bloody thing struggles to focus !

Getting a sharp, clear image is everything as once I have that then I can clean noise, or crop or sprinkle Unicorn magical tear droplets rendering/editing on to it for everything else !
My keeper rate on the A6600 is apx 80-95%, the 7Dii 40-70% !
For example couple years ago I tried holding a bazooka sigma 150-600 contemporary lens still at full 600mm on a moving Tiger at distance while holding my breath and ensuring the AF square is over the Tigers eye !
Wells let say that most of the images were not keepers ! ! lol
So eye AF would be a game changer as I have already found out with the A6600 and a friend has the R5 and that is some dark magic being used to get eye AF ! ! !
I will still use my A6600 as a holiday camera and days out / city breaks etc because of its small form factor.

For example couple years ago I tried holding a bazooka sigma 150-600 contemporary lens still at full 600mm on a moving Tiger at distance while holding my breath and ensuring the AF square is over the Tigers eye !
Wells let say that most of the images were not keepers ! ! lol

I used the 7D MKII this morning with the Sigma 150-600mm Sport which has another Kilo in weight over the contemporary and I was shooting terns in flight.
Eye af would have got me about 75% more keepers I reckon .... less weight would have saved me a trip to the chiropracter.

Tern

Tern Fishing

I used the 7D MKII this morning with the Sigma 150-600mm Sport which has another Kilo in weight over the contemporary and I was shooting terns in flight.
Eye af would have got me about 75% more keepers I reckon .... less weight would have saved me a trip to the chiropracter.

Tern by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Tern Fishing by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Great images,
what AF mode do you use, AI Servo for sure, what AF points do you use is it zone as expandable AF point would be very challenging ! ?

Great images,
what AF mode do you use, AI Servo for sure, what AF points do you use is it zone as expandable AF point would be very challenging ! ?

9 point expanded but I am constantly changing between that and single point.

Sony was so much easier, hoping bird eye af is easier still, even face detection would do most of the time ... I have a full sequence of this duck landing and spraying water everywhere .... every one missed the head.

IMG_3353

9 point expanded but I am constantly changing between that and single point.

Sony was so much easier, hoping bird eye af is easier still, even face detection would do most of the time ... I have a full sequence of this duck landing and spraying water everywhere .... every one missed the head.

IMG_3353 by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

And that if my issue with camera now with non Eye / Subject Detect it makes a big difference with keeper rate !
You have some great images above and I can only wonder how good the others would have been with eye AF ! !

I was at beaulieu motor heritage museum new forest last month and there was a falcon short display. Now I had the wrong lens ( 18-50 ) and worse of all I was sitting under its flight path merely 50-70cm above my head and even though I had my Sony A6000 I had not ( to that point in time ) set a sport mode settings on the camera. I had lots of potentially killer shots, however i used too slow shutter speed,...arrrrrrrrrrrr ! ! ! ! !
To be fair it was a very sunny and hot day,and I was hemmed in the crowd sitting on the grass ! !

I was at beaulieu motor heritage museum new forest last month and there was a falcon short display. Now I had the wrong lens ( 18-50 ) and worse of all I was sitting under its flight path merely 50-70cm above my head and even though I had my Sony A6000 I had not ( to that point in time ) set a sport mode settings on the camera. I had lots of potentially killer shots, however i used too slow shutter speed,...arrrrrrrrrrrr ! ! ! ! !

Beaulieu is about 15 mins drive for me ..... even less from the place we are moving to soon.

Getting the settings wrong is easily done, just last week they had a Spitfire flyby over our local field and I deided to be a smartarse and shoot it as 1/125th to get really good prop blur. Obviously I now realise shooting 2.5kg of camera and lens at that shutter speed @ 450mm handheld pointing at the sky just isn't goint to produce a lot of keepers ... but none at all was a bit depressing.

You are using the sigma sport a lot lately, have you cancelled your gym membership ! ? Lol

Cracking image BTW

Cheers.

I haven't used the lens for ages but I am trying to decide whether I keep the 100-400mm MKII and 150-600mm sport or sell them both (and the 7D MKII) when the R7 comes along. I have been using it all week and tbh it was bloody hard work on Monday but this morning I was getting back into it and it wasn't as heavy.

Ruddy sharp lens though, even at full stretch and a 60% crop

Cormorant

Jesus it's quieter here than my Pentax K-1 thread and I'm the only one on there :LOL:

Was just off to bed last night and as I went into the bathroom I noticed this little fella sitting on the toilet roll ... must have flown in through the window. Seemed like a good reason for a few macro shots with the 100mm L before putting him into the garden.

Lucky for us both I saw him :oops: :$

Shield Bug by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Shield Bug

Last edited:
Any regrets? What did you replace it with?

I have just ordered a R7, still have my 7Dii and 1DX. Main use will be bird photography.

I mainly use a Sony a9 but replaced the 7D II with an R7 and if I'm honest love the tech in it but loathe the body size so rarely take it out.

I'm actually on the brink of selling the R7 I detest it that much, just a proper grip would make so much difference.

Last edited:
I mainly use a Sony a9 but replaced the 7D II with an R7 and if I'm honest love the tech in it but loathe the body size so rarely take it out.

I'm actually on the brink of selling the R7 I detest it that much, just a proper grip would make so much difference.
Given that the R7 has no physical connections for a battery grip, I’m surprised Canon haven’t come up with a Bluetooth grip for it.

As for the 7Dii, still have mine. Not looking to go mirrorless anytime soon.

I know there's no proper grip available but have you considered one of the grip extensions out there

Back